As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] PAX East 2012 Costumes

• AmandaGCGAmandaGCG Registered User regular
    So far I have two costumes in my closet. One I made for Halloween last year and then one I'm currently working on.

I made a Mortal Kombat 2 Kitana costume for Halloween but I need a new wig for it and to altar some stuff that got ruined Halloween night haha.
    I was also thinking of being Elena Fisher on Friday since Naughty Dog is actually doing a presentation and it helps looking similar and already having the hair.

But the masterpiece I'm working on which I'm hoping isn't overdone is my Princess Zelda Skyward Sword costume I'm currently working on.
    It's going to be really good and I don't even need a wig for the hair for it which is the best part too.

For viewing entertainment here was the only photo I got from Halloween of the Kitana costume.
    299752_2568802017793_1186476795_3123308_574179120_n.jpg

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    philler wrote: »
    Hi everyone, with Irrational doing a Bioshock-themed cosplay meetup, I figured I'd try my hand at developing a costume for PAX East. I have a couple items that would go great with a Vox Populi-style attire, but one of them happens to be the toy gun (photo below). Would this pass under the rules of costume weaponry, and if not, are they any ways for me to work on the gun to make it better appear as a prop gun and nothing else? Though it's not essential to the costume, it would certainly be a big plus with the pilot goggles and helmet I've already got.

6WrG7l.jpg

I'm going to guess that this is not allowed. Typically toy guns with an orange tip *have* the orange tip because at second glance they look like a real gun. At PAX, that's against the weapons policy.

• KikiItemriKikiItemri MontrealRegistered User regular
    Aredubya wrote: »
    Would anyone recognize cosplay based around this character? (SFW)

OMG! MingMing!

• TheLizardofOddTheLizardofOdd Registered User new member
    edited March 2012
    Going to go as Zoey from L4D2. :)
    Not all that original or exciting, all things considered, but I look quite a bit like her and it's a cheap costume. Cheap is good for those with excessive student loans. Sadly, I can't seem to convince my Dad to dress up as Bill (which would be amazing, as his name is also Bill). I'm still trying but he's just not going for it...

I really wish I could bring my airshoft shotgun...but as I can't, I think I'm going to try and make a cool cardboard one. And maybe a desert eagle. :3

EDIT-Typos.

TheLizardofOdd on
  • SvKSvK Registered User regular
    Make a bile-bomb, or a bottle of pills.

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    mirror's edge tattoo

How about sheer/nude sleeves or even panty hose painted with fabric paint or flattened puff-paint? That way you can almost guarantee that it won't move/smudge and you won't be stuck going to work/school afterwards without getting microdermabrasion.

Plus you can make a few if you aren't happy with it, and not be ticked if it happens when directly applied to your skin.
    A few options I think. GL though - would be awesome!

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • phillerphiller Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    zerzhul wrote: »
    philler wrote: »
    Hi everyone, with Irrational doing a Bioshock-themed cosplay meetup, I figured I'd try my hand at developing a costume for PAX East. I have a couple items that would go great with a Vox Populi-style attire, but one of them happens to be the toy gun (photo below). Would this pass under the rules of costume weaponry, and if not, are they any ways for me to work on the gun to make it better appear as a prop gun and nothing else? Though it's not essential to the costume, it would certainly be a big plus with the pilot goggles and helmet I've already got.

6WrG7l.jpg

I'm going to guess that this is not allowed. Typically toy guns with an orange tip *have* the orange tip because at second glance they look like a real gun. At PAX, that's against the weapons policy.

Yeah, I figured as much, but thought a second opinion couldn`t hurt. My second, and more time-intensive approach would be to paint a Nerf Maverick (THE prop gun of choice), which should pass inspection. Then I realized, maybe cobble together a light skyhook instead, and maybe if I`ve got time, a prop molotov (sans booze inside). Will post photos of results over the weekend.

EDIT: And yes, I realize the no projectiles rule. Guess that scraps the Nerf idea.

philler on
    All Kinds of Philler: A pop culture podcast remarkably free of filler!
    Twitter: @phillerworks || @AKOPpodcast || Steam: mr_philler
    PAX East '14 Locations: || Classic Console Freeplay || Tabletop Area || Long Wharf Pre-PAX Game Night (Come say hi or trade buttons!)
  • TangoTango Registered User regular
    Sorry, Philler, that toy gun isn't okay. It looks too much like the real thing, orange tip or no. (As the owner of a real Old West-style cap-and-ball revolver, I should know! )

The Nerf idea is fine if the Nerf gun in question has been deactivated -- that is to say, it's had internal parts removed and/or the barrel blocked so that it is not possible to fire it. Prepare to have it checked, though! ;)

• JOEPROJOEPRO Grandmaster of the Lin Kuei Wilmington, DelawareRegistered User regular
    @AmandaGCG Yay, another MK cosplayer! I'm going as a Lin Kuei assassin with a painted gas mask somewhat like Emile's helmet in Halo Reach.

The ex-hosts of X-Play & Attack of the Show should be the floor hosts of the twitch.tv streams at PAX East!
  • browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    adastra wrote: »
    hi costumers. I am debating the best way to do my mirror's edge tattoo and I'd love some second opinions. Originally I was thinking sharpie because it will last the longest, be the darkest, and not smudge. But then I thought about how huge the tattoo is, and just how much sharpie would be seeping into my skin (granted, in microscopic amounts, but still) and decided that was probably not the best choice. My next thought was eyeliner, but it could rub off VERY easily if a bunch of people bump into me or slide past me (an inevitability in the expo hall). I can't really afford to get it done in henna, plus that'd be the total wrong color. Can you think of any other materials I could use to do the tattoo? Ideally, it would be something easy to apply to myself, as I am pretty sure I'm going to be doing it to myself.

For reference, here's a link to an image of the tattoo for size/complexity: http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/2009/01/custom_1232301813964_faiths_tattoo_01.jpg

<3 Mirror's Edge <3

You've got a few options that I can think of (and I'd be more concerned with the Sharpie smudging and rubbing off than skin contact dangers - it's not actually that "permanent" on skin).

- Not all eyeliner is built the same. You can get stuff that's pretty amazingly waterproof and smudgeproof - MAC's basic liquid liner is tenacious, to say the least. Almost too hard to get off, seriously - I don't use it regularly because it's such a pain to get off. A few other high-end brands make really ridiculously budgeproof liners.

- There are pro makeup products that will do the trick - body paints, multi-purpose liners (gel/pencil/liquid), etc. I'd be glad to talk about these some more, sometimes they're tricky to get ahold of because they are just sold at pro makeup stores. They can also be $$$ for something you'll barely use.

- If you have access to an inkjet printer, you can make inkjet temporary tattoos. I wouldn't make Faith's whole piece in one go, but rather assemble it in pieces so it flexes with you. This is probably the most secure way to go, but a little fiddly.

Whatever you go with, test it out well before you go, so you know how to apply and how it'll last.

thank you for the suggestions!! I had not heard of those printable tattoos, but that seems like an excellent possibility, given the complexity of the tattoo. I will buy some immediately to test them out. also, you're right, I could splurge on some nicer, super-waterproof eyeliner. either way, appreciate the response!

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Ghostbusters of NHGhostbusters of NH Registered User regular
    My Ghostbusters crew have been working on something for the last few months to be a surprise. But I figure a small teaser pic won't hurt. :)
    IMG_0132.jpg

• razorboyrazorboy Product Manger TorontoRegistered User new member
    Im contemplating Princess Peach......

• MissMoogleMissMoogle Registered User regular
    Ok so when the schedule was first announced and I read this:
    "Fans wearing Mass Effect costumes will be given special recognition during the panel."
    my reaction was O____________________________________________________O
    I wasn't expecting there to be an Bioware panel let alone this "special recognition" thing for anyone cosplaying!!!!

I already have my AC Harley Costume all figured out and ready to go as well as my vault 101 jumpsuit (might wear Sunday?)
    But now I am in a mad rush to try and put something together to wear to on Friday for the Bioware panel, because this sounds like an awesome opportunity!

This is a red alert question of major URGENCY!!!!
    Does anyone have any tips for where to buy a pre-made or used ME costume?
    So far I have found a few things on Ebay such as the casual femshep black dress and some pre-made crew member costumes
    but they all say that they will take a few weeks to put together/ship and I'm worried about quality/getting here in time.
    I would ABSOLUTELY be willing to buy a used/worn costume, but I can't find one on cosplayer.com and I don't know where else to look
    I've seen some really badass armor pieces for sale, but don't really have 1000 dollars extra to spend on another costume heh

I know its most likely impossible to find something in time, but I figured I'd post this question on here and give it a shot!

Thanks!

Xbox: totobomb
    PSN: totobomb

Add me! :)

www.facebook.com/msmooglecosplay
  • KikkaKikka New YorkRegistered User regular
    Might try to whip together alt costume Viola from soul calibur 5 if i can make it by PAX east. >.<

• CARTER-A259CARTER-A259 Registered User regular
    Well, after changing my mind several times, looks like I'll be cosplaying Adam Jensen from Deus Ex: HR.

I'll be easy to find, since I'll probably be the shortest Jensen there, LOL.

310901_10150303365966595_544651594_8207316_1112519755_n.jpg

And a little teaser pic from the first version of the shades I did.

• QueenieQueenie Registered User regular
    This year will be my second year at PAX, but my first time dressing up. I will be going as Hit-Girl form Kick-ass. Can't wait to see everyone there!

• nollienollie Registered User regular
    Since there's a list now I guess I should let ya know that I decided to scrap the alice dress and instead am doing a SWTOR sith inquisitor.

Pax East 2012 Omeganaut!
    Pax East '12 checklist: [x] 3 day pass, [x] hotel booked, [x] byoc seat registered, [ ] cookies baked, [ ] omegathon won.
  • TurnedtoGoldTurnedtoGold PittsburghRegistered User regular
    If I have disabled air soft pistols will that fly? They'll be completely redone to look like the All 4 One handguns in Bayonetta and won't be able to fire. Two will even be attached to my shoes.

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    If I have disabled air soft pistols will that fly? They'll be completely redone to look like the All 4 One handguns in Bayonetta and won't be able to fire. Two will even be attached to my shoes.
    I believe any airsoft gun is a no no.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I believe any airsoft gun is a no no.
    No airsoft.
    No exceptions.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Ohyeah21Ohyeah21 Registered User new member
    Last PAX East a friend of mine went as Carl, and apparently it worked out pretty well. I'm trying to get him to do it again, but due to the fact shaving his head to be bald kind of makes him look funny and he wont be able to give presentations because of it before or after pax for a bit he may not. I on the other hand am looking into doing either Olaf or Gragas from LoL, or Lavitz from Legend of Dragoon (the most under rated character of all time).

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ohyeah21 wrote: »
    Last PAX East a friend of mine went as Carl, and apparently it worked out pretty well. I'm trying to get him to do it again, but due to the fact shaving his head to be bald kind of makes him look funny and he wont be able to give presentations because of it before or after pax for a bit he may not. I on the other hand am looking into doing either Olaf or Gragas from LoL, or Lavitz from Legend of Dragoon (the most under rated character of all time).
    Does that same guy go to Prime also? If so, I met that guy and he's cool as fuck. Best Carl ever.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Ohyeah21Ohyeah21 Registered User new member
    edited March 2012
    nah, he hasnt been to prime. i tried to get our group to spring for that this year, but it being on the otherside of the country and having the option of pax east instead which is only 3 hour drive away was kind of silly.

Ohyeah21 on
  • KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Figured I might as well post here that I'll be cosplaying American McGee's Alice again this year. I have the costume already, so why not? :)

Ln5yLL7.png
  • AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Carl is freaking awesome.

Freaking awesome.

AaronC on
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    "Fans wearing Mass Effect costumes will be given special recognition during the panel."
    my reaction was O____________________________________________________O
    I wasn't expecting there to be an Bioware panel let alone this "special recognition" thing for anyone cosplaying!!!!
    First off, freakin sweet!!
    This is a red alert question of major URGENCY!!!!
    Does anyone have any tips for where to buy a pre-made or used ME costume?
    So far I have found a few things on Ebay such as the casual femshep black dress and some pre-made crew member costumes
    but they all say that they will take a few weeks to put together/ship and I'm worried about quality/getting here in time.
    I would ABSOLUTELY be willing to buy a used/worn costume, but I can't find one on cosplayer.com and I don't know where else to look. Thanks!
    I can give you some ideas/instructions for how I came up with my Normandy SV1 crew uniform if you want. I can give you the step by step for making an M5 phalanx pistol too.PM me if you want instructions.
    Bear in mind. This is an ameture cosplay, done on a budget. So its cool, but by no way professional quality.

KellyShepard087 on
    - Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • riathewolfriathewolf Registered User regular
    Well sadly nursing school ate up most of my costume making time. I'm still unsure on any others but I do know I will be absolutely bring Daenerys Targaryen with me. I should be finished with her dress this weekend.

• ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    Tonight, Verandia has decided "Eff this noise, Im MAKING my costume for PAX" and now my Living room is dead to me. She however barred me from saying what the costume is. Pity me though, I loved my living room. ~Moment of Silence~

• Mistress_IshboMistress_Ishbo Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    I was going to have a cosplay ready for this time. But I will have to wear an old but a goodie that I have. My Chun Li cosplay. I have been on a diet attempting to lose weight. I lost 32 pounds so far and I have 28 more to go. I am looking forward to pax. If you see a puerto ricany chun li with thunder thighs, that'd be me! :D

ishtra wrote: »
    mirror's edge tattoo

How about sheer/nude sleeves or even panty hose painted with fabric paint or flattened puff-paint? That way you can almost guarantee that it won't move/smudge and you won't be stuck going to work/school afterwards without getting microdermabrasion.

Plus you can make a few if you aren't happy with it, and not be ticked if it happens when directly applied to your skin.
    A few options I think. GL though - would be awesome!

Wow, somehow I missed this post earlier. The pantyhose with paint is an interesting idea; I do a lot of stenciling and already have all the tools for that (fabric paint, sponge brushes, cardboard & exacto for stencils) so I may have to try that and see how it looks.

I did just get a big package of the inkjet tattoo paper in the mail so I'm going to do a trial run of the tattoo tonight or tomorrow night. Will report back how it goes!

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    I have been on a diet attempting to lose weight. I lost 32 pounds so far and I have 28 more to go. D
    Pretty sweet job! and you still have a few weeks to boot :D Keep it up. Can't wait to see the costume!

The pantyhose with paint is an interesting idea ... I did just get a big package of the inkjet tattoo paper in the mail so I'm going to do a trial run of the tattoo tonight or tomorrow night. Will report back how it goes!

Totally curious how it all turns out. I was looking into the make-at-home tattoos when I was originally going on the MtG cruise (wanted some nice tattoos on my back), but wasn't sure how they'd do. Good luck, and hopefully something will work out!

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
    ishtra wrote: »
    Good luck, and hopefully something will work out!

Thanks! :)

• phillerphiller Registered User regular
    Ohyeah21 wrote: »

If he goes as real-life Carl, will he bring a red exercise ball around as Meatwad?

I painted a Nerf gun over the weekend as a possible prop, but didnt turn out as great as I had anticipated. Sanding and patience really do make a lot of difference. As well, I realized afterwards that I might not be able to get it past international customs, or at least bring me a lot of needless hassle. At this point, I think a shoddy Skyhook will have to do as a prop with the Vox Populi costume.

All Kinds of Philler: A pop culture podcast remarkably free of filler!
    Twitter: @phillerworks || @AKOPpodcast || Steam: mr_philler
    PAX East '14 Locations: || Classic Console Freeplay || Tabletop Area || Long Wharf Pre-PAX Game Night (Come say hi or trade buttons!)
  • riathewolfriathewolf Registered User regular
    . I lost 32 pounds so far and I have 28 more to go.

Oh my goodness congrats! As someone else who is attempting to lose weight I salute you! It's certainly not easy. Can't wait to see your costume.

• JurgmanJurgman Tech Director NYC, NJ, LARegistered User regular
    deadmeat wrote: »
    Last year after cosplaying all weekend long i returned home to watch G4's coverage only to see ALL the other cosplayers gathered for the taping. Somehow i apparently missed the memo. Needless to say, i was pants-shittingly-angry. I saw on the schedule they are doing another live taping Pax Sunday and didn't want anyone else missing out like i did. Here is a link to last years clip.

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/51787/pax-east-2011-cosplay-video/

Maybe someone could make a list of cosplay gatherings/events.

Also, this being my 1st PAX east, where are the best areas for photo ops? Like areas with good lighting, less traffic. I'll be shooting as much as possible with my 3D stereographic camera.

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    If I can get one of my friends to loan me their slr camera. My brother and I are gonna take some pro-quality pics of my cosplay in action. Could be cool. Better than seeing pics of me standing in my home. We're gonna go out in town to find good location shots. Should be fun. I'm hoping to get them done before Pax, so I can show you guys.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Almost done with my costume, going to take some pictures soon.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Alcatraz01852Alcatraz01852 Registered User new member
    This is my first PAX, me and a friend are going as Megaman and Protoman on Friday (mostly because thats when the protomen are playing) but it'll be great to see everyone, all the costumes are awesome!

• JWhiteJWhite Registered User regular
    My Ghostbusters crew have been working on something for the last few months to be a surprise. But I figure a small teaser pic won't hurt. :)
    IMG_0132.jpg

Is that the Slime Pack from Ghostbusters 2? =D

6943193407_855156285d_m.jpg
  • JOEPROJOEPRO Grandmaster of the Lin Kuei Wilmington, DelawareRegistered User regular
    The final pieces of my Lin Kuei Costume arrived today. Can't wait to wear it at PAX East!! :D
    2012-03-15_21-37-29_315.jpg
    Untitled00300-13.jpg

The ex-hosts of X-Play & Attack of the Show should be the floor hosts of the twitch.tv streams at PAX East!