As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Metastasis, a [mini-Phalla] - Game Over. Mafia Victory.

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    OM NOM!

• CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Has there ever been a phalla that ended (not just cancelled) on day one?

Edit: and what was the longest phalla ever?

Cayrus on
    Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    If I read the rules right, you don't actually die if you attack a non-cancer cell. Your attack is just wasted, right?

• sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »
    The village eats itself to death on Day 1.

Everyone eat the person below you and hope there aren't two mafias in a row!

Is there a flaw in this plan...

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    The village eats itself to death on Day 1.

Everyone eat the person below you and hope there aren't two mafias in a row!

Is there a flaw in this plan...

Not really. There may be a better attack sequence though, I'll think about it

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote:
    This isn’t a rule, but will help me immensely, and will thereby help you if you plan on playing in my Majora’s Mask phalla.

I now want this phalla to end on day 1 so we can get that much closer to the Dawn of the First Day.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    ObiFett wrote: »
    If I read the rules right, you don't actually die if you attack a non-cancer cell. Your attack is just wasted, right?

Orange and bold because this is kind of an important question.

Capfalcon on
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Hmm, should I make an experimental Phalla full of crazed lunatics my first?

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    MrTLicious wrote:
    This isn’t a rule, but will help me immensely, and will thereby help you if you plan on playing in my Majora’s Mask phalla.

I now want this phalla to end on day 1 so we can get that much closer to the Dawn of the First Day.

The timing of this game will not affect Majora's phalla, which will likely be sometime in May or later, depending on other ready games.

Orange and bold because this is kind of an important question.

I'll update the role PM to try and be more clear, but yes, you only die if you attack a cancer cell.

MrTLicious on
    Anialos wrote: »
    Hmm, should I make an experimental Phalla full of crazed lunatics my first?

That latter will always be true, so you might as well.

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Well then add me to the nuthouse!

• JABMonkeyJABMonkey Cincinnati, OHRegistered User regular
    Welcome aboard Anialos!

We are now only 2 away! Ha. Cool. Feeling the love Mr. T?

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Just so everyone remembers, this is a conversion phalla.
    Q: Thralls, millers, conversions?
    A: No, no, Rac1 proteins may be converted

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    Conversion phalla?

Will a white blood cell attacking a converted rac1 protein cell kill it? Will the village win if all initial cancer cells are dead regardless of rac1 conversions?

edited March 2012
    JABMonkey wrote: »
    Welcome aboard Anialos!

We are now only 2 away! Ha. Cool. Feeling the love Mr. T?

I'll admit I am very surprised (and pleased) at how quickly this got rolling. Though it's probably just because the main is wrapping up :)

If we hit 30 soon, I may have the first deadline be tomorrow unless there are people signed up that wouldn't have if we started earlier.

Edit: so please speak up (either here or via PM) if you would oppose an early start.

MrTLicious on
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Will a white blood cell attacking a converted rac1 protein cell kill it? Will the village win if all initial cancer cells are dead regardless of rac1 conversions?

Yes. No.

If multiple white cells attack a cancer cell do they all die?

• ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Conversion phalla?

one role in some phallas is referred to as the "cultist" role, where the faction (usually very small to begin with), can choose each night to convert one player to their side. The player's win condition then changes, and they turn against the village.

It's hard to balance and get right, but it's a pretty fun mechanic.

Usually, it is a separate faction from the mafia but who knows it could be a mafia power in this game.

Phyphor wrote: »
    If multiple white cells attack a cancer cell do they all die?

Yes.

That is unfortunate... new plan!

• JABMonkeyJABMonkey Cincinnati, OHRegistered User regular
    Conversions are fun! frightening! . . . fun!

Fortunately, conversions are limited

Okay, I think I have an attack order that will result in very high probability village win

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Usually, it is a separate faction from the mafia but who knows it could be a mafia power in this game.
    Sound slike the mafia are cancer and the can only convert rac1 cells. So it isnt some crazy nonsense that anyone could be converted at any time.

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    But you won't tell us until you know if you're mafia or not, I assume?

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    Nah, I'm typing it up

edited March 2012
    So the playerset is:
    Mafia
    White cells
    Rac1

We need to kill off all the mafias without revealing the rac1 cells and without biasing the result or doubling up white cells. There needs to be a verifiable, yet opaque and fair way of assigning targets

Construct the string <day>_<lowercase name>_<n>_<key>

day is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ...
    lowercase name is obvious
    n is 0, 1, 2, 3, ... as needed. start with 0 each day
    key is some simple string (ie, pick a plain english word, lets say 4 letters or less). Keep it secret until you want to reveal your target sequence

Calculate the SHA-1 hash here of your string
    Take the total number of players alive. Then round up, if needed, to the next prime number (the primes are 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31).

Go here
    Number a type: hexadecimal
    Number a value: your SHA-1 string
    Number b type: decimal
    Number b value: the prime from above
    Calculation equation: mod(a,b)
    Hit calculate and you should get a number from 0 to one less than the prime

The output is the index of the person you attack, with 0 being the first person. Obviously, skip dead people in figuring out who your target is. If that happens to be you or someone you have personally attacked or is greater than or equal to the number of living players, increment n and try again. n should really never get above 2 or 3.
    To confirm your targets, reveal your key.

This
    - hides the attackers, so the mafia can't know who was supposed to attack them, thus they can't reverse it to find the rac1 proteins who aren't attacking
    - allows verification of attack sequence. Sure you can look for another key that will provide an acceptable target sequence, but there's not a whole lot I can do about that and it gets tricky quickly because you have to avoid collisions now and in the future
    - should, with good probability, let the number of targets be maximized and randomized
    - should, with good probability, put a white blood cell on everyone in a small number of days
    - will also place attacks with equal probability on potentially converted villagers

If you are a white blood cell and you die attacking a mafia, when you revive, reveal & re-attack that same mafia until he's permadead.

Sample with my key word being "test":

1_phyphor_0_test
    f28abe6360077c5d89db2b8ea0686ca877c507fe % 31 = 30, which is >= # of players, so recalc with n = 1
    1_phyphor_1_test
    28d1261ab77dd6a4e6e269d88868ac2bc37cc765 % 31 = 28, which means I would attack Shabooty

(yes, technically SHA mod small prime is not a great distribution, but there's no custom seedable PRNGs online)

Phyphor on
    :shock:

edited March 2012
    Games where villagers can't kill other villagers but can kill mafia are easy to break through random targeting!

Phyphor on
    This it not taking into account any special abilities the mafia may have though, right?

Knowing the above, MrT just needs to make special abilities that specifically break random village targeting.

Excuse me while I clean @ObiFett's brain off the floor.

edited March 2012
    Nah. So long as most of the village are white blood cells and white blood cells can kill mafia but not village it holds. The mafia can't block attacks because they have no idea who is attacking who (a very, very important property given the constraints of the game). Nor will a one time shield work because attacks will continue to show up, randomly. The way to break it is to require two white blood cells to simultaneously attack a mafia to kill the mafia

Phyphor on
    Pyphor! is obviouslly super-mafia

Pfft, at least spell my name right! Everybody gets it wrong these days!

Pie4

Not to sound cocky, but...

I've already thought of this. This isn't my first rodeo.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Using numbers to plan a phalla is for sissies.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Well, it's still the most effective strategy if only because it hides who isn't attacking. We'll see if it breaks it