As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starcraft2] CLOSING TIME!! GO TO THE NEW THREAD!!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the Starcraft 2 thread

dronem.jpg

Are you going to PAX East? Meet up with other PA SC2 players! PM narwhal for details!

The PA Crane Kick program!

We here at PA are a nice, friendly, bunch that want to help each other get better at SC2, typically through light-hearted pokes and jabs. But some players require a little more hands-on training. So, I have decided to create a Karate Kid style teacher and student program known hence forth as the Crane Kick program. Basically, one of our higher league players will personally train a lower level one on some aspect of their game they want to improve.

Fill out this form to join in! After filling out the form, look at the list of players found here and simply PM the coach/player you are interested in working with. Set up a time/date, communication software, and discuss what you want to learn/teach. GLHF!

Please read the following details to help things go smoothly:
All games will include 4 PA players in a non-ladder 1v1, 2 high ranked Miyagis and 2 low ranked Daniel-sans. The mentors will be in a special chat room with their students in mumble/skype giving them advice in real-time. All four start in the same chat channel then go into 2 different channels when the game starts. The two higher ranked people are observers that only follow the vision of their "student". Sound like fun? Again, fill out this form to join in! Find players/coaches here!

Players should:
-specify to their coach what they want to learn (stutter step, macro, X build order)
-already understand the basics of hotkeys, assigning groups, map pings
-listen and follow the advice of the coach
-watch their replays!
-take what they've learned and practice on their own time
-be respectful of their coaches and opponents time

Coaches should:
-not look at full map vision (cheater!)
-don't yell or harass the student, especially in tense battle situations
-offer insight as to WHY you want to do things and certain times
-explain what to look for when scouting builds
-be available for more than one game if possible
-offer follow up sessions if needed
-focus on one to two things at a time (micro, macro, build order, etc)

Let's see if we can get this thing off the ground and really help each other out more!

I want to play SC2 awesome like everyone else!

So, the SC2 thread goes a million miles per hour and will leave you in the dust if you aren't prepared. All things are open to discussion here from build orders, practice partners, race match-ups, tournament talk, and general bizarre Korean stuff. In order to keep up, I highly recommend you check out the following resources:

OK that's all cool, but I want to play with some PA people.
1) Log into Battle.net and join channel PA (on the NA realm). We all hang out there. Chat, 1v1 lobbies, and team shenanigans are always going on!

2) Sign up for a replay site such as gamereplays.org or drop.sc. This is a site where you can upload your replays. The perfect way to share your replays with the thread and get advice on how to get better. Gamereplays lets you post the cool banner that you frequently see on the internets and drop.sc lets you upload replays without having to create a new account.

3) Register with the PA SC2 1v1 Ranking site. Sign up for this awesome site to see where you stand amongst fellow PA members. Remember, this is important in the nurturing and expanding of your e-peen. Add yourself by clicking on [Manage Characters] on the top right side.

4) Sign up for the PA mumble page. Sign up if you want to chat with fellow PA users during games or watching tournaments. Thanks to Exoplasm for hosting the service and providing the step-by-step process for installing mumble.

JK. I like watching Starcraft instead. Where can I watch some good games?
Major tournaments. Starcraft is e-sports. Follow these major tournaments and you will not be disappoint.
  • The GSL. The premiere korean starcraft 2 league. Where the best go to play. Casted by Tastosis, the casting archon.
  • The TSL. Team Liquid's major tournament where foreigners stomp koreans and everyone attributes it to lag.
  • Major League Gaming. North American e-sports powerhouse now features Starcraft 2 (as long as their stream is online). "tahts halo dont worry".
  • North American Star League. The upstart league headed by fan-favorites Incontrol and Gretorp. $400k up for grabs in the first season alone.
  • IGN Pro League. Everyone's getting into e-sports, even IGN! 16 of the top players from North America duking it out for fabulous prizes.

And those are only the major ones! Follow the Team Liquid Tournament Tracker for more competitive goodness.

Streams. Perhaps you prefer something more intimate. Maybe watching starcraft 2 like it's Being John Malkovich? Thanks to the power of the Internet, there are infinity streams available for your voyeuristic pleasure. Here are our favorites.

Want more streams? Check out Teamliquid's live video stream page for more goodness.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• TrunkersTrunkers Registered User regular
    Proxy on, proxy off.

My MTG Cube Site - -http://riptidelab.com
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Wtf, that overlord has drone-envy issues.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    new thread

worst thread

old thread op

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    who the fuc is mr myaygoi and why is he being talked about

everyone should be talking about how dhal is he best star crafts player

dhal is best strcrftartds p[latyer you guys.

honext

humminbird = no chance vds master stacraft dhal

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Euphemon wrote: »
    Now that it's been out for a while, I have to say, I really like Cloud Kingdom. What do you guys think now, since a lot of you hated it in the beginning?

third is relaly hard for defend for protoss and t erran vse zerg okay

but bexide tht is ver ygoo map for protos terran maybe zerg

• NewresNewres Registered User regular
    So erm after slowly climbing up a few ranks on the silver ladder I got suddenly demoted to Bronze. And to celebrate I had to deal with cheese after cheese after cheese... Oh joy. Maybe I should just pick a race instead of rolling random all the time.

Also what is a good build in ZvZ that just not simply dies to early pool into banelings bullcrap ?

960751-1.png
  • PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    Drunkcraft best craft.

3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
    Praetor wrote: »
    Drunkcraft best craft.

i mnot durnk

• ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    -race: Zerg
    -league: Technically gold, at this point really more of a silver
    -looking to be coached
    -availability/timezone: Central, 1/3 days not at all, 1/3 days any time after noon, 1/3 days any time after 4pm (on average...fucking military work schedule)
    -communication software: Mumble, vent, skype, google chat, in game voice...I'm up for whatever

-Things I most need to learn: Scouting. What to look for, and what it means.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
    oky amybe am

i can still sort of identify what you're typing as words

you clearly need more to drink

Now I wish I were drunk too
    :(

if only this beer-filled fridge were vodka-filled
    =\

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    Wait, is it more, or less? I forget exactly how it works with Australians. Whatever it is, you haven't drunk just the right amount.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
    Im sitll goood enough to.beat all of you at craftinoqdd g stars even tho verh dru nk

Inthink i wikll sleep nos

• His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    July is close to all-killing IM in the KSL. O_O

• narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    who the fuc is mr myaygoi and why is he being talked about

everyone should be talking about how dhal is he best star crafts player

dhal is best strcrftartds p[latyer you guys.

honext

humminbird = no chance vds master stacraft dhal

Why haven't we set up more times for me to get coaching?

Narwhal#1834
    I tried to coach you but you kept talking about ice cream

Trunkers wrote: »

you said you'd coach me but you were really drunk so we postponed it. You still have yet to teach me high templars

Narwhal#1834
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    narwhal wrote: »

you said you'd coach me but you were really drunk so we postponed it. You still have yet to teach me high templars

since when has being drunk inhibited starcrafting

drunkwhal still crafts stars, if i remember correctly

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    July is close to all-killing IM in the KSL. O_O
    So I'm guessing ST wishes they'd played July in the GSTL today.

wtf its not called moon battles?

narwhal wrote: »

since when has being drunk inhibited starcrafting

drunkwhal still crafts stars, if i remember correctly

what you don't remember is that I didn't craft them very well. seguer beat me with an probe and zealot

Narwhal#1834
    edited March 2012
    Monobattle tourney BEGINS!!

2 BO3s. Finals BO5.
    Random race.
    Random unit.
    Random random.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Chillllllllllllllllll

is casting

edit: Dream accidentally chose to be a referee so now they have to remake...lol.

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
    blinguuu~

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Destiny is awesome in this context

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    dream secret ringer of tournament

actually nestea

• LordaenLordaen Registered User regular
    I must do more monobattles.

Quantic played sick good that game.

Hah, that was entertaining.

Dream was pretty useless both games. ^^'
    In fact, forcing others to defend him he pretty much caused their loss.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    EG v. Liquid coming up!

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
    MMMig wrote: »
    Hah, that was entertaining.

Dream was pretty useless both games. ^^'
    In fact, forcing others to defend him he pretty much caused their loss.

The clearest possible example of how maybe you don't want your best 4 1v1 players on your monobattles team.

I dunno, Dream didn't do as much with those vikings as he could have (abusing ledges vs zealots, etc.).

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    edited March 2012
    Also, I think vikings may be imba in a monobattles context. They just kill air so thoroughly with good ground DPS and excellent harass capability.

re MMMig: I think we agree...Dream is clearly one of dignitas' best four 1v1 players, but he was clearly distracted by everything going on in a 4v4 and making bad decisions about what to do next.

Invictus on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Updated the OP with new info on the Crane Kick Training Program (CKTP). Also made a google doc to help track everyone's info to make searching easier.

Fill out this form to join in! For those who already PM'd me there info, please fill out a form. Sorry! :D

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    HuK trolling NoNy super hard.

This part of the form confused me.

h1SD3.png