Welcome to the Starcraft 2 thread
Are you going to PAX East? Meet up with other PA SC2 players! PM narwhal for details!
The PA Crane Kick program!
We here at PA are a nice, friendly, bunch that want to help each other get better at SC2, typically through light-hearted pokes and jabs. But some players require a little more hands-on training. So, I have decided to create a Karate Kid style teacher and student program known hence forth as the Crane Kick program. Basically, one of our higher league players will personally train a lower level one on some aspect of their game they want to improve.
Fill out this form
to join in! After filling out the form, look at the list of players found here
and simply PM the coach/player you are interested in working with. Set up a time/date, communication software, and discuss what you want to learn/teach. GLHF!
Please read the following details to help things go smoothly:
All games will include 4 PA players in a non-ladder 1v1, 2 high ranked Miyagis and 2 low ranked Daniel-sans. The mentors will be in a special chat room with their students in mumble/skype giving them advice in real-time. All four start in the same chat channel then go into 2 different channels when the game starts. The two higher ranked people are observers that only follow the vision of their "student". Sound like fun? Again, fill out this form
to join in! Find players/coaches here
-specify to their coach what they want to learn (stutter step, macro, X build order)
-already understand the basics of hotkeys, assigning groups, map pings
-listen and follow the advice of the coach
-watch their replays!
-take what they've learned and practice on their own time
-be respectful of their coaches and opponents time
-not look at full map vision (cheater!)
-don't yell or harass the student, especially in tense battle situations
-offer insight as to WHY you want to do things and certain times
-explain what to look for when scouting builds
-be available for more than one game if possible
-offer follow up sessions if needed
-focus on one to two things at a time (micro, macro, build order, etc)
Let's see if we can get this thing off the ground and really help each other out more!
I want to play SC2 awesome like everyone else!
So, the SC2 thread goes a million miles per hour and will leave you in the dust if you aren't prepared. All things are open to discussion here from build orders, practice partners, race match-ups, tournament talk, and general bizarre Korean stuff. In order to keep up, I highly recommend you check out the following resources:
- Team Liquid. Team Liquid is the biggest Starcraft related fan site out on the Internet today. They follow everything Starcraft related including the pro scene. Many great articles, forums, and information can be found here. A must bookmark for any Starcraft fan.
- Wellplayed.org. Starcraft 2 aggregation site from the SCReddit group.
- Talk shows
- State of the Game podcast. The pillars of the starcraft 2 community --- JP, EGIncontrol, Liquid`Tyler, and Day --- talk (mostly) about current events in the starcraft community every Tuesday.
OK that's all cool, but I want to play with some PA people.
1) Log into Battle.net and join channel PA (on the NA realm).
We all hang out there. Chat, 1v1 lobbies, and team shenanigans are always going on!
2) Sign up for a replay site such as gamereplays.org or drop.sc.
This is a site where you can upload your replays. The perfect way to share your replays with the thread and get advice on how to get better. Gamereplays lets you post the cool banner that you frequently see on the internets and drop.sc lets you upload replays without having to create a new account.
3) Register with the PA SC2 1v1 Ranking site.
Sign up for this awesome site to see where you stand amongst fellow PA members. Remember, this is important in the nurturing and expanding of your e-peen. Add yourself by clicking on [Manage Characters] on the top right side.
4) Sign up for the PA mumble page.
Sign up if you want to chat with fellow PA users during games or watching tournaments. Thanks to Exoplasm for hosting the service and providing the step-by-step process for installing mumble.
JK. I like watching Starcraft instead. Where can I watch some good games?
. Starcraft is e-sports. Follow these major tournaments and you will not be disappoint.
- The GSL. The premiere korean starcraft 2 league. Where the best go to play. Casted by Tastosis, the casting archon.
- The TSL. Team Liquid's major tournament where foreigners stomp koreans and everyone attributes it to lag.
- Major League Gaming. North American e-sports powerhouse now features Starcraft 2 (as long as their stream is online). "tahts halo dont worry".
- North American Star League. The upstart league headed by fan-favorites Incontrol and Gretorp. $400k up for grabs in the first season alone.
- IGN Pro League. Everyone's getting into e-sports, even IGN! 16 of the top players from North America duking it out for fabulous prizes.
And those are only the major ones! Follow the Team Liquid Tournament Tracker
for more competitive goodness.
. Perhaps you prefer something more intimate. Maybe watching starcraft 2 like it's Being John Malkovich
? Thanks to the power of the Internet, there are infinity streams available for your voyeuristic pleasure. Here are our favorites.
- General commentary
Want more streams? Check out Teamliquid's live video stream page
for more goodness.