As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wasteland 2] 14 major areas to explore. One to press your balls against.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    I really hope they don't get sued by Bethesda.

For what?

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Boy howdy... That 500$ tier is lookin mighty fine. If I cant convince myself to swing that, 250$ should at least be well within my impulse range.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    It's time like this when I hate that I'm broke.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    I really hope they don't get sued by Bethesda.

For what?

For having so many similarities with Fallout.

• Options
    edited March 2012

... By that logic EA could have sued Interplay/Beth.

Also I really hope they don't go for Fallout with Wasteland 2 apart from namedropping. While Fallout was meant to go for "spiritual successor" (since they couldn't get the License from EA) it is quite different, both thematically and regarding gameplay.

For example Wasteland was partybased, it took itself a lot less serious than Fallout (though since F2 that's debatable) and it was based on modern (80's) "science" rather than go the retro-futuristic route.

C2B on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    If they can really play up the emotional and moral situations, they will have a gem here. The Fallout games have some of that, but not consistently throughout the game. I wonder if the new Wasteland will work off our time period or stay back in the 80s? I think it would be better if it was our own.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    If they can really play up the emotional and moral situations, they will have a gem here.

I'd rather have extensive real choice and good multi-layered writing.

Moral situations tend to fall into black and white way too fast and I prefer my emotional stuff more subtle.

It also fits a post-apocalyptica wasteland better, IMO.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Another neat concept could be that they could play around with the idea of it being set in an alternate timeline. They could have bizarro versions of our current technology and have alternate versions of popular figures.

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Im excited to see how the original team of wasteland wants to to transition the game into the modern age, as opposed to a new group assigned to it by the new IP holder.

reading this thread made me want to go back and play wasteland and i found a java based version... alas the mouse support was so awful i had to quit after 2 minutes... still brought back memories.

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

Also I really hope they don't go for Fallout with Wasteland 2 apart from namedropping. While Fallout was meant to go for "spiritual successor" (since they couldn't get the License from EA) it is quite different, both thematically and regarding gameplay.

For example Wasteland was partybased, it took itself a lot less serious than Fallout (though since F2 that's debatable) and it was based on modern (80's) "science" rather than go the retro-futuristic route.

Bethesda is suing Mojang for naming their new game "Scrolls," so logic is not part of the equation.

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular

Bethesda is suing Mojang for naming their new game "Scrolls," so logic is not part of the equation.

No, they settled. Mojang gets to use 'Scrolls' as the title and Beth gets the trademark.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    harvest wrote: »

No, they settled. Mojang gets to use 'Scrolls' as the title and Beth gets the trademark.

Man how bad were Mojang's lawyers that that was the best they could do?

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    harvest wrote: »

Man how bad were Mojang's lawyers that that was the best they could do?

In Europe they weren't even given the chance to get the trademark. Just "Nope, this is too generic".

So fairly well all things considered.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Is there any way to legitimately download Wasteland anywhere?

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

It doesn't seem like it from that RPS interview. It's part of EA's back catalog.

• Options
    Tweet
    #Wasteland 2 update! We have been approved by #kickstarter and we go live tomorrow. I will post the link the minute I get it.

OT: Fallout related but it kinda fits here too. JE Sawyer (F:NV's Project Director/Lead Designer/Systems Designer) gave a presentation on choice architecture at GDC. He posted the slides on his website alongside some clarification regarding some things that got miscommunicated (to some) during the presentation.

http://diogenes-lamp.info/GDC12_Do_Say_The_Right_Thing.pdf
    Based on feedback I've seen online, I want to attempt to clarify a few things:

* My inclusion of the ME2 "ass" screenshot was to highlight its absurdity. In the context of that slide, it's an example of how developers have improved things like butt-framing shots but haven't made great strides in choice architecture. I don't have any problem with improving aesthetics, but I believe we should continue to refine how we develop choices for players.

* When I was discussing karma/reputation displays of +1/-1, I wasn't championing karma systems, but I was championing visible changes in the GUI for all of what I call "Indirect Reaction Systems" (e.g. karma, reputation, influence, etc.). I think mechanical clarity is more important than immersion, and characters vary heavily in how much they emote reactions.

* Validating all choices specifically does not mean that they should all be subjectively equal. I gave two examples of "good" choice agony from Greek tragedy: Orestes and Antigone. Both of these characters have two choices for one decision. The choices have good aspects and bad aspects, but they are not "six of one / half a dozen of the other". The values implied by each choice are subjective. There is not a single right thing to do for each character: both choices contain virtue and sacrifice -- and both are valid. Validation also does not need to come through mechanics, though using something like reputation or influence (i.e. an Indirect Reaction System) can make an abstracted validation easier than hand-scripting specific benefits and drawbacks to every choice.

EDIT: For a more contemporary example, please see Mookie's choice at the end of Spike Lee's film Do the Right Thing, from which the title of this talk was borrowed.

I apologize for poor communication on these points. If you have any other questions or criticism, please feel free to post them here or on my Formspring page. Thanks.

• Options
  • Options
    Finally. Will be pitching in tomorrow. 2500$ so far.

• Options
    nessinnessin Registered User regular
    Woot! I'm the second cheap bastard to only give 15 bucks.

• Options
    Wow, that pitch video. It's funny and I hope it pays out but its also pretty risky since its a giant screw you to certain publishers and modern gaming.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    All right, now time to play a rousing game of "how stupid do I feel with my money?"

Very, apparently.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    I'm in for $50.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Oh my. The Kickstarter video is hilarious.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    "Did you do Angry Birds?"

"Would I ****ing be here if I did Angry Birds?"

EVOL on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Igpx407 wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »

It doesn't seem like it from that RPS interview. It's part of EA's back catalog.

EA is on Gog, right? So it could happen.
    I got this game originally as part of the Interplay 10th anniversary pack.

I will also say that while I'm not sure this game specifically resonates with a truckload of people, I constantly read on forums and blogs about people wanting isometric old-school RPGs. I have no idea if those people are willing to spend money on getting it made but they sure talk a lot about it.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I watch with interest to see if we can get anywhere near the success of Doublefine. It's probably got the best chance of anything what with a high nostalgia value and a tie in to modern times through Fallout.

We shall see.

Oh yeah, and that video sold me. I'm in for the cheap pre-order $15.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I miss the isometric grid. Obviously, it was originally intended for convenience, when tech limitations meant tile-based worlds and sprite-based everything else, but there was a lot of beauty, both in terms of graphics and gameplay, that could be achieved with a such a solid, workmanlike system underneath everything.

The 3d engine kind of made the grid less than necessary over time. Didn't help that a lot of early 3d engine games that still used the isometric grid looked awful. By the time 3d was looking decent, most developers generally dropped all premise of a grid system in design layout.

Me, I'd be happy with a classic tile-based world with well-done polygonal character models, allowing vast levels of customization and various kinds of believable mocap tied into character performances and the like.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I chipped in $15. I didn't really play the original game aside from a brief few minutes a few years ago.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    And we're off! $900k is a long, long way away. They are certainly putting this brave new model to the test.

I'm in, but if this gets funded and the game comes out in October as planned, I probably won't even touch it until 2013 between Borderlands 2, the new turn-based X-Com, and keeping up with Steam holiday sales.

EDIT: I are dumb. Oh what a difference a 3 makes.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    15'000

Donations coming in faster now

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The project total dev cycle is 18 months. It's coming out in October 2013 if all goes as planned.

Upon reading Iolo's post I went 'WHAT they want to do this in 6 months?!?'

I am gullible.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    25'000

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'll definitely be putting down 15$ on this when I get home today.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Go wasteland kickstarter go! bring back turn based RPGS!(along with firaxis)..

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    30'000

• Options
    Didnt the doublefine kickstarter get like 40% of their total donations on day one? It will be interesting to see how this one goes.

<i donated 3x as much to wasteland as the doublefine one>

• Options
    40'000

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

We haven't even sent the press release out this morning! Most of you discovered it live before I could wake up. ;)