As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Secret Tijuana Death[Phalla] - End of Match: Leaving The Ring Victorious

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Considering how close we are to the standard close time, and the number of people that have not yet placed orders, the early close condition will be removed and we will have a standard vote close condition (including extends) tonight.

Standard vote close is in two hours. Make sure your orders are in by then.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Trick question!

The correct answer (at least I really really hope it's the correct answer) is:

D) vertroue

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Voting is fun

vert

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Hope your right.
    vertroue

PSN SeGaTai
  • AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    Sounds better than voting for me!
    vertroue

Yeah, so do I. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Day 12 has closed.

Votes and actions made at or before x:59 will count; all votes and actions made at x:00 and later will not.

Narration and results will be up in approximately an hour.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited March 2012
    End of Match: Leaving The Ring Victorious

The fights no longer mattered. Their outcomes had no impact on the big picture, and that was the continued survival of the deathmatch league, or a suffocating death at the hands of the law. And so it was that six people met in the underground facility set to be the site of the next deathmatch fights to settle things for once and for all. Accusations flew between the group until they settled on vertroue. Before the group could move against the startled organizer, however, SeGaTai collapsed in a heap, taken out by an unseen gunman's bullet. The undercover agents knew that they needed to act immediately, and with a subtle signal, the facility began to swarm with lights wielded by law enforcement. shalmelo quickly recognized this as the end and surrendered, not noticing in the din the quiet departure of the other members of the group that were with him.

And so it was that the deathmatch league was closed down for once and for all. Without any lackeys to protect them, soon the upper management of the league would be brought to justice. The fighters who survived returned to their homes without the riches they seeked to earn, but they still had their lives and the knowledge that there were worse places to be. As for the agents that had infiltrated the group, AkimboLegs and Egos had earned a bit of rest before their next missions. The problem of the deathmatch group had been solved, but there was plenty of other illegal activity out there to be stopped. And as for Langly, he was back in the field again... whether it was to make the profits he could not make in the deathmatch group or to show a true reformation in taking down more underground organizations, only Langly knew.

Eliminated Players

SeGaTai - Deathmatch Patron
    shalmelo - Deathmatch Organizer
    vertroue - Deathmatch Organizer

Surviving Players

AkimboLegs - Undercover Agent
    Egos - Undercover Agent
    Langly - Corrupt Law Enforcement

The members of the undercover agents comprise a majority of remaining players and claim victory!
    Langly has survived to the end of the game and also claims victory!

Incidentally, the result of today's matches would both have been draws.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Hahahahahaha Langly wasn't lying

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    edited March 2012
    Post-Mortem

I had the idea to run a Phalla based off of Secret Tijuana Deathmatch shortly after the completion of the Kill Dr. Lucky Phalla. The scenario was pretty straightforward to come up with, comprising a village of deathmatch organizers against a mafia of undercover government agents. Village players also had their alternate individual win conditions available for gathering a certain threshold of money and electing to leave the game. Originally, this game was planned to be constructed to be closer to the source game, with each player required to create and manage a stable of five fighters. Using personal stat pages, like those used in the Elementalist and Persona games, players would be able to schedule fights between their fighters and make bets on the fights' outcomes. Handlers would earn money based on their fighters winning as well as the outcome of their bets. Logistically, however, this scheme would create a massive amount of fights to keep track of each day. It would be likely that most fights would be ignored by most players except by the fighters' handlers. In order to try and promote more collaboration between players and increase interest in individual bouts, fighters were not tied to individual players and were instead part of a common pool, with a limited number of bouts to be resolved each day.

Before the game went into final production, however, I was still unsatisfied with the money mechanics. Leaving money as simply a way of meeting secondary win conditions seemed like a waste - there needed to be something more to money than making bets and supporting fighters. Taking inspiration from The Court of King Phallis, I added a bidding system for special abilities. The hope for this was increased participation in betting and bribes to earn money, and to add an interesting mechanic to encourage interaction between players. As an additional twist, I added conditions to the operation of each type of special ability. To prevent the mafia from taking too much control over the special abilities, a delay of one day was added to their spending outside of betting and bribing on fights and transfer of money between players.

In the early game, the mafia faction took advantage of the money mechanics, stealing quite a few ability uses for theirselves. The mafia also got a lucky break on Day 6 when the number of guards was reduced by one - they had only submitted orders for two guards during the prior day, and Virgil_Leads_You would have survived with the third-place guard. On the same day, both Virgil_Leads_You and Loxx took a lot of money out of the game with them, another disadvantage for the village. Despite this, the village was still able to fight back to nearly take the win, thanks to a number of good hits and protections. Unfortunately for them, Langly spent his money in a way to obviate any chance of a village victory on the final day.

Going into the game, I was actually a bit unsure about the whether or not the game was completely balanced, the only hope I had was that the game would be interesting to play. Now that the game has completed, I still cannot say for sure about the balance, but the dynamics of it certainly were interesting to see. If the village was more active in their discussions and manipulations, they would have probably been able to negate the mafia's innate organizational advantage. I'm grateful that the game ended up being close, though. It's really a rarity for one of my games to end up that way.

I'm sure some people will also be curious about why I plotted the alternative money amounts where they were. If a player was aggressive and right in their betting, and there were an appropriate number of supporting bets to provide them money, they could achieve the set totals of $40,000-$50,000 in six to nine days. That turned out to be a far overestimation based on how the money mechanics actually turned out in-game: halving the money goal would have been more realistic. At least the unrealistic conditions didn't end up burning anybody, since they were all alternative in nature.

If there's other questions, feel free to check the hosting proboards or ask in the thread if I missed anything. Otherwise, it is now time to look to the future... perhaps another private page game waits next? We will see. Thanks for playing and reading.

Hosting Links

Host Proboards
    Master Spreadsheet

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Well, shit.

Good job you three.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Fun Fact: I gave kime all of my money on Day 1, instructing him to be entertaining. I hope he was, behind the scenes.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I would have taken so much more money out of the game with me if I had gotten that order in a minute earlier.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    Damn. Was sort of hoping that the vote was going to end in a 3-way tie, which actually would have won it for us. Ah well. Good game.

Dear mafia, please unlock your boards, por favor.

Thanks for running, Blarney. After doing the money and betting stuff in a mini I appreciate what you put into it.

Who was the mafia who failed to order their guard on day 6? Because we definitely had 3 planned...

Assuran wrote: »
    I may not be a member of a mafia, but I was apparently given enough privileges to unlock them. Should be accessible now.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Mafia Board

Fun fact, the day everyone was confused about missing kills, we didn't submit them to the PM, leaving them on the Proboard.

I think you guys cancelled each other out, I still get the login screen.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Village Proboards unlock plz?

So, mafia board should be unlocked for realz.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular

be warned of unadulterated panic'd egos :(

Haha. Yeah there are definitely a fair number of very defeatist posts.

edited March 2012
    There were village proboards?

News to me - Segatai was the only one that I had any real trust in, and we just communicated via pm

shalmelo on
    If anyone had any trouble accessing the master spreadsheet before, access should be fixed on that point.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Looking at the host proboard, I'm glad I'm not the only one who made a bio for my fighter.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Had I survived another day, I would have bought a seer on Akimbo.

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Called akimbo. My mafiadar was on this game

PSN SeGaTai
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hell of a lot closer than I thought it was going to be around day 5-6, obviously. I am amused that as discouraged I was about that point, there are equally miserable posts on the mafia proboards at certain points.

Well played, all. Thanks for hosting, MrB.

Felt really bad for Shalmelo when he kept having to change the designated village vote target, I've been there.

Looks like Langly may have earned himself another round of grudges?

Edit: I guess I'm pleased to know that I am a convincingly sincere villager.

Gaslight on
    AkimboLegs wrote: »
    Thanks for running, Blarney. After doing the money and betting stuff in a mini I appreciate what you put into it.

Who was the mafia who failed to order their guard on day 6? Because we definitely had 3 planned...

Looks like there was some confusion and TA just sent an assassin bid in instead of guard. Whew.

@virgil_leads_you did you suspect egos and I and wanted to see how we would respond to being told to seer each other?

Also - something that village might not have quite fathomed the significance of fom Blarney's rule post.
    Since our bids for services took a day to trigger it was incredibly hard to do what the village asked us to. Egos and I both had to partially lie about stories to hide the delay in our actions.
    We also got pretty lucky when shalmelo asked me to assassinate flarne, since that is who I had already placed an order on :)

Hey village

I want people to know that I played neutral for this entire game until tonight. I was pretty worried about eventually getting vigged or voted if things kept going, so when egos revealed to me I decided to end the game tonight.

Also it was pretty impossible for me to reach my money goal, so that was also out.

Sorry!

Hullis wrote: »
    Had I survived another day, I would have bought a seer on Akimbo.

Which you would've lost anyway since I had a 5k bid for a seer :)

Also I am counting this a double victory that I survived with the role I was given based on the last game

Yeah, only through day 4 on the mafia boards, but I can see what happened. You guys had a good mafia.

It didn't help that the people I was talking to (Cythraul, Cayrus, Vertroue, Corv, Sportsboy through Corv) and dropping names with to try and start a network ended up turning on each other the day after I died. I was like, "Noooooo, you're all good!".

Shoulda made it clear with everyone I was using a very specific part of our PM to make sure we were all on the same page.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Yeah, only through day 4 on the mafia boards, but I can see what happened. You guys had a good mafia.

It didn't help that the people I was talking to (Cythraul, Cayrus, Vertroue, Corv, Sportsboy through Corv) and dropping names with to try and start a network ended up turning on each other the day after I died. I was like, "Noooooo, you're all good!".

Shoulda made it clear with everyone I was using a very specific part of our PM to make sure we were all on the same page.

There was a reason we got rid of you. Had to get rid of people with their head on their shoulders :D

also @kime , come and claim your prize.

Bad guys received the same pms, we just also received an extra pm. So while it is true they were all good, if that had come out, we could've squelched it I think.

But that confusion definitely helped, since it let us sink back and let the village put forth names and argue. Though apparently everyone had still sussed me as mafia :p

Kime I am still mad at you for stonewalling me like that.

Well, I didn't realize you guys got the same exact cover story, but at the time it was the only thing I could think of to draw people out.

I didn't have enough cash to ensure a guard that night, otherwise I would have, and thought it would be suspicious if I asked for cash that early. Night 1 and the fact the fixing ring was off that much crippled me, so I just started throwing ideas at the wall to see what stuck, hence the $100 bet on every fighter idea. I was really hoping for more info, but alas, I didn't get it.

I really believed the low-level organizers would get moved up to special status at some point in the game, thanks to the promotion lingo. I was wrong, but it was worth a shot.

• ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Hahaha

Well done, mafia!

And well done Akimbo, Egos, and Langly for surviving to the end! =)

Thanks MrB - good times was had!

It was a noble effort, shamelo, but it did not pay off... this time. Otherwise, it was an amazing rally from what seemed to be an outright mafia victory into something neck and neck!

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Kime I am still mad at you for stonewalling me like that.

Oh come on. The day before you outed another mafia member to me privately haha! Surely you can see why maybe we'd be a bit hesitant to reveal ourselves to you.

And goodness, mafia, you guys were so depressing. Be more optimistic! :D

And according to @Egos, all credit for the victory goes to me. Yay!

Thanks for running, Blarney. It was lots of fun :)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile