As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Beastro's Characters and Illustrations

BeastroBeastro IllustrationRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in Artist's Corner
Hey peeps.

I thought I might be doing myself an 'un'-service by never really participating in the PA forums. I mean...I've read this comic and articles forever it seems. I go to school for Illustration full time online. I never had any friends with enough balls to attempt to play table top gaming so I feel like I really have missed out on the story telling, and character building aspect of the genre. I was the RPG gamer on the high school football team...if that helps put me into a stereotype for you. Also with school full time I haven't had time for a lot of games, but want to be connected to the community in a way that I can contribute to it.

Anyway. Im not that great, but want to go pro. Harsh crits are welcome, they only make you better imo, and help you see things that you dont see right away. I love concept design and all that but really want to make beautiful narritive pictures and scenes. I've been reading a lot to help get some ideas about characters to draw since I've started doing them every day for a while now. If you guys have any ideas or characters that you want to see it will only help me get better. I may post some study work in here for the hell of it if I haven't done anything else. This thread is for fun and feedback and hopefully some idea generation.

So I'll start off with a coloring that I did for Scott Kurtz when he put out a huge line art for his LoL Bat nemesis, Fail Whale. And a few characters that I haven't had time to render. Thanks for looking.
failwhale25.jpg

And some character sketchin' fun. Trying to do one of these a day on top of school work. We'll see how it goes.
1-2.jpg
2-2.jpg
4-2.jpg
6-2.jpg
5-2.jpg

Beastro on

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Tons of energy in these daily sketches, definitely keep them up. Love them

• Options
    BeastroBeastro Illustration Registered User regular
    What happens when you're in a crappy mood, you make crappy drawings. All better today though. Will post more tomorrow.
    7.jpg
    knight thing
    3-2.jpg

• Options
    8-3.jpg

• Options
    9.jpg

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    moar plz

• Options
    thanks earthwormmadam, you got some cool stuff too.

Announcement!
    If anyone sees this announcement. I am offering to draw/sketch your favorite/main MMORPG characters for free. Monsters or badguys or group shots or whatever... I need ideas and inspiration, and since I dont have time to game with school I need a screen shot.

Please send a snapshot to
    beastro.illustration@gmail.com and check back here and you may have your pic. I can't promise to paint or render anything or make an entire composition. Just drawings like the ones above with simple line. I hope to hear from you.
    Thanks.

and.....some filler art since I had no characters done.

13.jpg

A Micro Frederick Leighton Study.
    LEIGHTON-900.jpg

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    That study is pretty awesome, how long did you spend on it?

Really enjoying the finished renders, it'd be nice to see more weight and definition in your sketches, too. Either through more variety in line width, or just a bolder, more painterly stroke with gray tones. Either way though, awesome stuff.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    @iruka: Thanks mate, um...probably about 6-8 hours, if I remember correctly. I did it last year so I can't remember quite well. Cool crit by the way. I definitely got to excited about a new photoshop brush in a couple of these and let it ruin what could have been a good drawing I think. Thanks again though I think you are right.

afternoon sketch!
    10.jpg

Beastro on
  • Options
    another:
    11.jpg

• Options
    SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Pretty cool stuff all around. The last one seems to have legs a little too long, but that may just be my imagination. Keep at it.

Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • Options
    wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    Your confidence really comes through in your line quality and contrast. Beautiful stuff.

The posture of your characters needs some tweaking. The way you render poses and depth appears to be a bit inconsistent, as characters are either off balance or static, but rarely in-between. Do you horizontally flip your drawings often during their construction?

"Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post
  • Options
    SeraphSword: Thanks, good lookin' out.

wahay: I've noticed it too recently, only looking back on some stuff. Some things from the graphic shape making in the beggining have no shape in space. I'm not grounding the characters overall either it seems, just leaving them floating in air. I'll focus more on centering their weight, and correcting the perspective. I do flip it but...only once, then back again. Maybe I should do it more? Thanks again good lookin' out.

Another one:
    13-beastro-sig.jpg

• Options
    If you guys haven't noticed already I have a thread over in the Critical Failures Forum where I'm drawing peoples characters. Here's the latest one. And a bit of a process reel. I'm really looking at some pro work today to compare mine and try to find something that I can do in less time and not ruin by noodling on it. Looking back at the process has helped.

Is my line weight suffering? Does it feel like I'm losing a bit of that freshness that comes from the first clothing rough in? Harsh crits on this one would be appreciated. I pushed myself really hard to have a character done in under three hours. came out at just under four, all cause of the damn shading. So I'm going to tone that down a bit and just focus on linework and perspective and drawing skills with these.

Kay's Atherton Kess
    8final.jpg

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
    7.jpg

• Options
    PukioPukio Registered User regular
    This is all good and you should feel good. I really love the sense of movement in your work.

• Options
    lizard eats flieslizard eats flies Registered User regular
    I love this stuff. Its amazing.
    The last one something is kind of bothering me. The guy looks pretty chill and relaxed, but the way he is leaning on the sword seems awkward. Maybe its because I have messed up shoulders, but that does NOT look comfortable.

I agree tho, the sense of movement is really great.

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Pose on the last one looks fine to me in your sketch; once you added his clothes/gear though there's something awkward happening, yeah. His gauntlet/sleeve are conspiring to make his arm look kind of weird and twisted. Not a fan of the dark value magic burst thing, either.

Otherwise I really like that one; very nice relaxed pose. All your stuff is pretty great.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    Okay so I am really happy with this one. It seems its going to go like this. Huge errors, +1 knowledge, Plateau, huge errors, +1 knowledge, plateau. I think I can deal with that as long as I know its going to happen. This style took just barely under two hours for the character thread postings. So the next one might have a ton of errors.

Also, indicating detail....WAY more fun than drawing every single stupid little thing.
    14.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2012
    another
    15.jpg

after some helpful crits I reworked it a bit.
    15redo.jpg

Beastro on
  • Options
    another.
    16.jpg

• Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    Your nice use of grey toned shadows and painting makes me realize I should practice it more.

• Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    Beastro your values turn me on. Sexually. Keep it up.

• Options
    Lol Nic. And thanks to you guys who posted earlier. Thanks for looking.

another:
    18.jpg

• Options
    Cod piece hero awaaaaaay~! I mean ninja. He is clearly a ninja. You know, since he has throwing stars.

• Options
    LOL. It was either that or a giant fox kitsuni bush and crotchless pants..was really considering it

• Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    this is pretty rad stuff!!

really cool progress post, would be nice to see some more of those.

stuff like this is great, very solid structure to build on.
    Beastro wrote: »
    3.jpg

SeveredHead on
  • Options
    Well cool! Here are some studies I did this week from poses from lovecastle.org/draw and artsyposes.com of the torso front and back. :) If ya'll are into that sort of thing.

carltontomlin_fig201_5and6_fronts-1.jpg
    carltontomlin_fig201_5and6_backs-1.jpg

• Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    soooooooooooooooooolllllllllliidddddddddddddddddddddddd.

• Options
    thanks kendeathwalker.

19-sils.jpg
    19-2.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I love, love, love those figure sketches. Also I really like your approach to thumbnail sketches.

If there's one thing I personally have trouble with when it comes to figure sketching outside of a standing pose, it's understanding what the pelvic and lower abdominal area should be doing. You're quite good at figuring that out.

Nic on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Man, it has taken me dozens and dozens of drawings...maybe a couple hundred to get it down. I still have horrible trouble with legs and hips from time to time.
    EDIT:Noodled with it a bit and thew over a value wash to give it some weight.
    21.jpg

Beastro on
  • Options
    The arm holding the staff seems a bit short in the deltoid-bicep area

• Options
    Good lookin' out Nic. I need to hit the books on a few parts of the body. So far we have only done the head and torso in class
    22-sils.jpg
    22.jpg

• Options
    My goodness these are so good. Very urban fantasy.

• Options
    Nic wrote: »
    My goodness these are so good. Very urban fantasy.

Kinda like a Medieval Mad Max thing goin' on, yeah.

• Options
    23.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2012
    24.jpg

Beastro on
  • Options
    PukioPukio Registered User regular
    Yesssss. Loving where you decide to render detail. It's always just enough to draw the eye without cluttering up the image.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Really love how clean the last two are.

• Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    This is fantastic stuff. Is it still possible to beg a slot for a character?

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Never saw this thread before. Came because I thought it was beavotron's thread.

And I was disappointed for a moment. And then pleasantly surprised.