As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Ending aside, there was a lot of stuff I really liked. Here's a shorthand list:
    -Moridin went out like a bro.
    -Target practice with Garrus.
    -Drunk Tali is best Tali.
    -Calibration jokes.
    -Dakka system.
    -Geth origin was heartrending.
    -Garrus/Joker joke-off
    I forgot about drunk Tali, that was awesome. What did she call it? A 'liquid consumption device'?

That's a straw Tali...

Did anyone else...
    End up killing Mordin and Wrex? Broke my heart to do it, but all those lines from Wrex about his 'jokes' on taking over after the war and the promise of Salarian warships pushed me to the Daltress' side.

Killing Wrex and Mordin to save the galaxy made me sad, but it did lead to another moment of Garrus being awesome. You can confess to him and he'll understand.
    I didn't, and I don't think I could ever bring myself to do it.
    I became rather attatched to Mordin on my last ME2 one, for starters, but the real reason is because Wrex is my bro.

He's been so much of one, in fact, that I would see the galaxy burn if it meant we could have more adventures together.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Also, Tuchanka
    The decision about the genophage was one of the hardest in the game. I like that Eve keeps bringing up the fact that Shep looks conflicted, and I'm able to stall each time because I hadn't made my decision yet. What tipped it for me was 1) Eve. She's worth saving. And she will keep Wrex from going imperialist. 2) The visions of a greener and more beautiful Tuchanka and finally 3) I just couldn't do that shit to Wrex. The Krogan, or Wrex at least, really did earn the right to be given a second chance. If they fail again, well, they'll have to be destroyed utterly at that point. But they at least deserve to have a chance. So I told Mordin to administer the cure and godspeed. Too bad he dies anyway. :(

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    -Calibration jokes.
    -Dakka system.
    -Garrus/Joker joke-off
    I forgot about drunk Tali, that was awesome. What did she call it? A 'liquid consumption device'?

That's a straw Tali...

EMERGENCY. INDUCTION. PORT.

Edit: Ha ha, two people beat me.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    doing the dlc and i totally called that screenshot of
    the collectors to be a flashback, haha. awesome. really like the nice touches like the brothean pulling the dead prothean into chamber so the reapers couldnt fuck with him

• piLpiL Registered User regular
    Mordin is my favorite. Sit on beach. Enjoy sun. Collect seashells.

Might run tests on seashells.

• SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Overall game impression spoilers:
    I can't see this game being 1/10th as impactful unless you've played the other two. Seriously, all the best things were character moments. The gameplay was fine but I never came out of a fight thinking "that was awesome!" all of those moments came from dialogue. And that is why the ending is so jarring, I think. If the game had been all about the combat then I wouldn't have cared about the ending. They screwed themselves by setting the narrative bar so high everywhere else.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
    Also, one neat thing that totally took me by surprise(Team member spoilers):
    EDI is the rogue AI you tried to kill on Luna. Major shocker right there.

• JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    -Calibration jokes.
    -Dakka system.
    -Garrus/Joker joke-off

That's a straw Tali...

EMERGENCY. INDUCTION. PORT.

Drunk Tali = best Tali

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Overall game impression spoilers:
    I can't see this game being 1/10th as impactful unless you've played the other two. Seriously, all the best things were character moments. The gameplay was fine but I never came out of a fight thinking "that was awesome!" all of those moments came from dialogue. And that is why the ending is so jarring, I think. If the game had been all about the combat then I wouldn't have cared about the ending. They screwed themselves by setting the narrative bar so high everywhere else.
    There was at least two awesome gameplay moments. Going man vs robot with the Reaped on Rannoch, and the final battle of the game where you have to wait for the guardian Reaper to get closer. The latter was especially tense.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Agreed the game would basically suck if you hadn't played the prequels. Stated this to a friend who asked if I thought he would like diving straight into 3.

And the EDI reveal seemed contrived and, uh, kind of like a majorly overlooked plot hole given that Shepard was given a mission to destroy that AI in ME1.

I mean you can choose to ignore that optional mission, but I certainly wiped that AI from existence.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Agreed the game would basically suck if you hadn't played the prequels. Stated this to a friend who asked if I thought he would like diving straight into 3.

And the EDI reveal seemed contrived and, uh, kind of like a majorly overlooked plot hole given that Shepard was given a mission to destroy that AI in ME1.

I mean maybe you can choose to ignore that optional mission, but I certainly wiped that AI from existence.
    Shepard mentions you fought it. I kinda glossed over that reveal. It was inconsistent with the lore anyhow. Once you dislocate an AI from its blue box, it 'dies' and if reconnected, a whole new AI is born.

Also, don't you only go to the Moon if you were mostly paragon in ME1?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.

I mean maybe you can choose to ignore that optional mission, but I certainly wiped that AI from existence.
    Shepard mentions you fought it. I kinda glossed over that reveal. It was inconsistent with the lore anyhow. Once you dislocate an AI from its blue box, it 'dies' and if reconnected, a whole new AI is born.

Also, don't you only go to the Moon if you were mostly paragon in ME1?
    nope. Moon only has level requirement(11 I think). It's the only way to get your prestige class

• Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Oh yeah, the game is not meant for people who have not played the other two. Like I said before, there's this great bromance with you and Garrus and he's always talking about the "good old days" or mentioning his time as Archangel. And that means absolutely nothing if you've never played the other 2 games. He's just this weird alien with a scarred face who likes calibrating stuff.

I liked the EDI reveal. It tied everything together in a way that made sense and felt like you were in this cohesive universe.

What I wasn't really a fan of was EDI taking over that Eva mech body. That felt very pandering in a fan service kind of way. The way I see it is, Joker and EDI's relationship was much more interesting when she was stuck as the ship's computer. It was an unorthodox relationship and you could see how it'd be difficult to feel love for something so alien and different. But in this one, it felt like they went ahead and said "Hey, people like EDI. Let's sex her up and actually give her the Seven of Nine body." Joker and her seemed to be getting along, so they just had to have her in a hot female body so they could actually physically fuck.

Tali's face was the other thing I felt was very fan service-y. BioWare just went and took the easy road on that one. I would've liked it if they'd been more bold, but I guess a lot of Tali fans would've blown a gasket if it turned out she actually looked like a prawn from District Nine.

Delta Assault on
    Tali question
    So 'Tali's face' gets revealed somewhere? Does that only happen if you romanced her?

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Oddly enough one of the most memorable moments of the game for me was
    the brief bit on the Citadel where you and Garrus take a car up to the top of the Presidium and have a skeet shoot to see who's the better shot. It was such a simple thing, there was no serious action, or death-defying feats. Just two best friends hanging out, enjoying their last peaceful moments. Later on after I made it through to the citadel at the end, and Garrus was (presumably) dead behind me after being vaporized by Reaper fire, I found myself thinking back to that moment on the Presidium and I got hit by a genuine sense of grief and loss.

If nothing else, I'm impressed that the game can get that kind of emotional response out of me.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Tali question
    So 'Tali's face' gets revealed somewhere? Does that only happen if you romanced her?
    Someone said it also shows up if she commits suicide? I dunno.

the brief bit on the Citadel where you and Garrus take a car up to the top of the Presidium and have a skeet shoot to see who's the better shot. It was such a simple thing, there was no serious action, or death-defying feats. Just two best friends hanging out, enjoying their last peaceful moments. Later on after I made it through to the citadel at the end, and Garrus was (presumably) dead behind me after being vaporized by Reaper fire, I found myself thinking back to that moment on the Presidium and I got hit by a genuine sense of grief and loss.

If nothing else, I'm impressed that the game can get that kind of emotional response out of me.

There were many, many moments in the game like that for me, which is why I found it such an emotional rollercoaster.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Yeah,
    when Shepard was dematerializing in an energy beam mid-synthesis ending and it cut to scenes of people who would miss him, that was pretty touching.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Evil MonkeyEvil Monkey Grover beachRegistered User regular
    just beat the game liked the ending i got. now have to do replay 1 and 2 so i have new import saves all of mine are on my other hd and i need to rad the whole thread so i can see all the spoilers i missed the last few days.

Evil%20MonQey.jpg

There were many, many moments in the game like that for me, which is why I found it such an emotional rollercoaster.

Heck yeah.
    The rooftop shooting thing was particularly great for me, having romanced him. That was Garrus' idea of a date! Too adorable. I don't know how to make myself romance anyone else now.

• Technicus RexTechnicus Rex All your base.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Angered at pickng up Drell Adept 3 times in a row I named him Kony.

Technicus Rex on
    People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazi's. You can't trust people. - Super Hans.

Heck yeah.
    The rooftop shooting thing was particularly great for me, having romanced him. That was Garrus' idea of a date! Too adorable. I don't know how to make myself romance anyone else now.

Mental note, chicks like to go skeet shooting on skyscrapers

• DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Re: Joker and EDI subplot:
    Joker still isn't getting any; sex would end in many, many broken bones for him, as people like to forget. I felt it was mostly done to make EDI a.. person, something more relatable to the player. Make it a hard decision at the end by giving her a face, making her a squadmate.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Technicus RexTechnicus Rex All your base.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dalantia wrote: »
    Joker still isn't getting any; sex would end in many, many broken bones for him, as people like to forget. I felt it was mostly done to make EDI a.. person, something more relatable to the player. Make it a hard decision at the end by giving her a face, making her a squadmate.
    Dude it's the future. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be difficult to install the latest version fleshlight into her nether regions.

Technicus Rex on
    People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazi's. You can't trust people. - Super Hans.
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    The wiki says there are five levels of strength for equipment items in multiplayer, distributed at random. Does this only apply to spectre packs? I know recruit packs only contain level 1, and veteran packs only level 2 items.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    Also, Tuchanka
    The decision about the genophage was one of the hardest in the game. I like that Eve keeps bringing up the fact that Shep looks conflicted, and I'm able to stall each time because I hadn't made my decision yet. What tipped it for me was 1) Eve. She's worth saving. And she will keep Wrex from going imperialist. 2) The visions of a greener and more beautiful Tuchanka and finally 3) I just couldn't do that shit to Wrex. The Krogan, or Wrex at least, really did earn the right to be given a second chance. If they fail again, well, they'll have to be destroyed utterly at that point. But they at least deserve to have a chance. So I told Mordin to administer the cure and godspeed. Too bad he dies anyway. :(

More Tuchanka:
    I didn't find it a hard decision at all.

At the time Shepard was making the decision about the genophage, the circumstances for the Krogan (after a hypothetical victory over the Reapers) would be vastly different than they were at the time of the Krogan Rebellions. Even assuming bad faith on the part of Wrex/Eve (or that those two didn't survive the war), the Krogan would not be in a position to cause much trouble. They'd have no ships (since they haven't been permitted their own ships since end of the Krogan Rebellions), and the galaxy would be a very different place. At the time of the Krogan Rebellions, the Krogan were fully militarized, the other races were weary from the Rachni Wars, and there were no humans.

So post-Reapers, if the Council Races and Krogan couldn't arrive at some arrangement regarding Krogan population control and measured expansion, then they could be easily confined to Tuchanka and kept out of space (since they'd lack ships).

Regardless, Shepard would have good reason to believe that, short-term, the Krogan would be a huge asset to the Reaper War, and that post-Reapers, medium to long term, there would be plenty of reason to believe that they could be easily prevented from overrunning the galaxy.

• frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Well I just beat the game, so I guess I will take my turn to bitch about the ending on the internet since it seems to be the thing to do.

(also Planescape Torment spoilers)
    The problem with the ending is that I was playing Shepard Kicks Ass and Takes Names 3: The Final Asskickining and in the last five minutes of the game the Transcendent one shows up and starts dropping some "what can change the nature of man?" bullshit.

frandelgearslip on
    htm wrote: »
    Also, Tuchanka

More Tuchanka:

At the time Shepard was making the decision about the genophage, the circumstances for the Krogan (after a hypothetical victory over the Reapers) would be vastly different than they were at the time of the Krogan Rebellions. Even assuming bad faith on the part of Wrex/Eve (or that those two didn't survive the war), the Krogan would not be in a position to cause much trouble. They'd have no ships (since they haven't been permitted their own ships since end of the Krogan Rebellions), and the galaxy would be a very different place. At the time of the Krogan Rebellions, the Krogan were fully militarized, the other races were weary from the Rachni Wars, and there were no humans.

So post-Reapers, if the Council Races and Krogan couldn't arrive at some arrangement regarding Krogan population control and measured expansion, then they could be easily confined to Tuchanka and kept out of space (since they'd lack ships).

Regardless, Shepard would have good reason to believe that, short-term, the Krogan would be a huge asset to the Reaper War, and that post-Reapers, medium to long term, there would be plenty of reason to believe that they could be easily prevented from overrunning the galaxy.

Tuchanka counterpoits
    1) Krogan reproduce quickly 2) Wrex is already talking about making an empire. And if he has enough troops to be an asset in the war, how do I know he doesn't have enough to make an empire? 3) Wrex and Eve have to die eventually, and when they do, what becomes of the Krogan? Maybe that's a distant future worry, but it's still of concern.

Tali & Garrus questions
    So DudeShep gets a picture of Tali on his desk if he romanced her... why doesn't FemShep get a picture of Garrus? Is it something about you have to romance that person only and no one else? Because if so, fuck it, I'll do a new run from the beginning and no Kaidan this time.

Dude it's the future. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be difficult to install the latest version fleshlight into her nether regions.

Joker/EDI spoilers:
    That and EDI has motor control that's precise enough to avoid breaking any of Joker's real bones.

She also implies that the texture of her exterior is highly variable (she configure her hair helmet to be indistinguishable from real hair, for example). Remember that her body was configured to pass for human in a high-security Alliance facility. Presumably, she can make herself soft and anatomically correct in all the right places.

Shepard's lovers would be in far more danger. Shepard is a cyborg with superhuman strength controlled by a mostly human nervous system. If she lost control during the height of passion, she could very easily hurt her partner very badly.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Tali & Garrus questions
    So DudeShep gets a picture of Tali on his desk if he romanced her... why doesn't FemShep get a picture of Garrus? Is it something about you have to romance that person only and no one else? Because if so, fuck it, I'll do a new run from the beginning and no Kaidan this time.
    I think it's to satisfy people (like me) who want to know what she looks like under the suit.

More spoilers regarding central contention:
    and honestly, it's not even really the technological singularity there. That theory extrapolates that newly born AI will devote all it's resources to becoming smarter and reproducing, and because of the nature of AI, it would improve at an exponential rate, leaving humanity to deal with something much much smarter than itself(and there's the anti-intellectualism; smarter than us = omgdangerous). For starters, that wasn't the case with the geth until the Reaper code. Also, EDI herself shoots down the idea as her last question on the Normandy, pointing out that a need to propagate is not inherent to AI consciousness. And even the Reapers themselves are only so massive in thought because of all the organic minds they contain.

Again, just sloppy.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Shepard has superhuman strength?

Also, Tuchanka

More Tuchanka:

Tuchanka counterpoits
    1) Krogan reproduce quickly 2) Wrex is already talking about making an empire. And if he has enough troops to be an asset in the war, how do I know he doesn't have enough to make an empire? 3) Wrex and Eve have to die eventually, and when they do, what becomes of the Krogan? Maybe that's a distant future worry, but it's still of concern.

Tuchanka counter-counterpoints:
    All true, but it's hard to imagine that the Krogan probably wouldn't be solvable over the course of years after the Reaper War ended. At the very least, Shepard has good reason to believe that the Krogan could be contained, post-Reapers, without starting another galactic war and without relying solely on the goodwill of Wrex and Eve. She definitely wouldn't consider the Krogan to be a source of the sort of cloaca-clenching panic they seem to inspire in the Dalatrass.

From Shepard's point of view, any problem that occurs after the Reapers have been defeated is a good problem to have.

Joker/EDI spoilers:
    That and EDI has motor control that's precise enough to avoid breaking any of Joker's real bones.

She also implies that the texture of her exterior is highly variable (she configure her hair helmet to be indistinguishable from real hair, for example). Remember that her body was configured to pass for human in a high-security Alliance facility. Presumably, she can make herself soft and anatomically correct in all the right places.

Shepard's lovers would be in far more danger. Shepard is a cyborg with superhuman strength controlled by a mostly human nervous system. If she lost control during the height of passion, she could very easily hurt her partner very badly.

Woman of Steel, man of kleenex?

RT800 wrote: »

She can punch out a yahg.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    "Shepard, everyone knows you can't dance!"

hahahahaha

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    oh oh! grissom
    kahlee sanders! finally! does make me wonder if that means the last book really is canon but it makes me smile knowing they are bringing in the extended universe stuff, i hope theres info about grayson and ..gillian.. and ..cereals & pissed stained vases.

Joker/EDI spoilers:

Woman of Steel, man of kleenex?
    keep in mind too that EDI pointed out how superior her motor control was to a human, especially with special tools in her fingers. So at the very least, she can go all shake-weight on him

Here is some cab fare. Going to sleep mode.

RT800 wrote: »

She can punch out a yahg.

And she can wield guns that would break the arms of a normal human.

This discussion has been closed.