As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• Options
    DonauDonau Registered User regular
    After reading some of the posts on the BSN the concept that the in game ending is a hallucination and the real one will be a future DLC has become more
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    They have an out with the 'it was all indoctrination' thing. But that's almost more annoying.
    It would imply they knowingly left the real end out for a DLC finish. Though after reading some of the arguments I cannot deny the theory is without merits. Especially about how Shepard is found after choosing the Destroy option (should he survive), it makes the whole "hallucination/psychological test" a bit more sensible.

I am rather inclined to believe BW has indulged in the dark side of the video game market rather than completely botching the delivery of the end to their biggest original IP yet.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    There's one thing I didn't have a problem with in the ending:
    The after credits coda where you see Buzz Aldrin talking to a boy. Now this, I was fine with. I hear a lot of people are upset by this little scene, but I don't see a problem with it. Yes, it does somewhat suggest that the entire story from ME1 to now has been an inaccurate retelling by this old man, but I don't think it makes it concrete. I could just as well choose to interpret it as saying that the entire story of Shepard happened just as I played it, and then, many many years later, this old man has retold it to his grandson, with some changes that we never see. I think the main message of this coda is just that Shepard's story lived on after his death and influenced the future denizens of the universe, which makes sense as he's now become a legend. Even if I have problems with the rest of the ending, I don't see anything wrong with this. Shepard's story is certainly legendary and worthy of homeric retellings.

And really, how can you get upset at a scene that ends with the line, "And every life is a special story of its own?" That's just a beautiful sentiment.

In my opinion that's the worst part.

ENDING spoilers
    It introduces an unreliable narrator for no reason whatsoever. It invalidates more than it enhances.
    isn't the player itself an unreliable narrator?

Randomly changing their character's motivations and love interests at a whim?

:P

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    the tuchanka missions are pretty great, even though the best moment is just cinematic. Also
    mordin nooooo

and jesus fuck I hate every salarian who isn't mordin or I guess kirrahe. The reapers can have them

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    The after credits coda where you see Buzz Aldrin talking to a boy. Now this, I was fine with. I hear a lot of people are upset by this little scene, but I don't see a problem with it. Yes, it does somewhat suggest that the entire story from ME1 to now has been an inaccurate retelling by this old man, but I don't think it makes it concrete. I could just as well choose to interpret it as saying that the entire story of Shepard happened just as I played it, and then, many many years later, this old man has retold it to his grandson, with some changes that we never see. I think the main message of this coda is just that Shepard's story lived on after his death and influenced the future denizens of the universe, which makes sense as he's now become a legend. Even if I have problems with the rest of the ending, I don't see anything wrong with this. Shepard's story is certainly legendary and worthy of homeric retellings.

And really, how can you get upset at a scene that ends with the line, "And every life is a special story of its own?" That's just a beautiful sentiment.

ENDING spoilers
    It introduces an unreliable narrator for no reason whatsoever. It invalidates more than it enhances.
    What exactly does it invalidate? We never know what the old guy says. You can choose to believe it invalidates everything, but you don't have to torture yourself with that. He could've been right on the money and been completely reliable. And... there's no real solid evidence that what we witnessed in ME1-3 is what that old guy told his kid. You can infer that, but it's by no means definite.

Again, I think the main thing to take away from that coda is that people far in the future are still telling tales about The Shepard, because of what he did. That's what you should be thinking about, and I find that perfectly plausible.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It's...
    Pretentious and cheesy. And it's unearned sentimentality. But, as problems with the ending goes, the Stargazer epilogue is hardly at the top of the list. Also the Christ imagery ("The Shepherd!") is so heavy-handed and unsubtle in that scene it's basically comedy.

While I agree with you...Shepard is pretty much Space Jesus.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

ENDING spoilers
    What exactly does it invalidate? We never know what the old guy says. You can choose to believe it invalidates everything, but you don't have to torture yourself with that. He could've been right on the money and been completely reliable. And... there's no real solid evidence that what we witnessed in ME1-3 is what that old guy told his kid. You can infer that, but it's by no means definite.

Again, I think the main thing to take away from that coda is that people far in the future are still telling tales about The Shepard, because of what he did. That's what you should be thinking about, and I find that perfectly plausible.

It's a narrative point.
    Introducing an ending with a guy describing the story you just saw to someone, and mentioning it's an innaccurate or incomplete retelling, is a time honored tradition for bringing in unreliable narrators. And there's no reason to do it unless the narration is in fact supposed to be unreliable.

If you want to say the story is remembered but has become legend, then you say it differently - the narrator accurately describes key events, and notes that it's not known what happened after.

Hell - Star Control 2 used this exact narrative device, but it worked fucking awesomely.

• Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    It's...
    Pretentious and cheesy. And it's unearned sentimentality. But, as problems with the ending goes, the Stargazer epilogue is hardly at the top of the list. Also the Christ imagery ("The Shepherd!") is so heavy-handed and unsubtle in that scene it's basically comedy.

Can't say I agree here.
    Of my problems with the ending, the whole legacy bit really didn't bother me. Not sure how Shepard is space Jesus, especially after I decked that reporter in the schnozz.

Also, I think the DLC ending is a deifnite possibility. For example, as Shepard staggers forward, and is taken up in to the crucible by the elevator, the light fades, and then: this happens.

What? It would make just as much sense.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Kias wrote: »
    It's...

Can't say I agree here.
    Of my problems with the ending, the whole legacy bit really didn't bother me. Not sure how Shepard is space Jesus, especially after I decked that reporter in the schnozz.

Also, I think the DLC ending is a deifnite possibility. For example, as Shepard staggers forward, and is taken up in to the crucible by the elevator, the light fades, and then: this happens.

What? It would make just as much sense.

Oh that's just a joke we have going on. That being said Shepard very much fits the...
    Role of the messiah. Savior of the galaxy, ending century old conflicts in a matter of years, self-sacrificing...etc.

Hell...you even die and come back once.

So...yeah...Shepard isn't literally Jesus-like but Shepard is very much a messiah character.

• Options
    ZealotZealot Registered User regular
    Need help with a Citadel mission
    I'm doing the Kasumi/Hanar stuff. I have scanned the terminal in the embassy lounge but where do I go next? Shepard mentioned something about checking out some E-mail...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

ENDING spoilers

It's a narrative point.
    Introducing an ending with a guy describing the story you just saw to someone, and mentioning it's an innaccurate or incomplete retelling, is a time honored tradition for bringing in unreliable narrators. And there's no reason to do it unless the narration is in fact supposed to be unreliable.

If you want to say the story is remembered but has become legend, then you say it differently - the narrator accurately describes key events, and notes that it's not known what happened after.

Hell - Star Control 2 used this exact narrative device, but it worked fucking awesomely.
    Well... see, it is unreliable, in the sense that we all have different Shepard stories. I felt that that was probably what they were going for, as different players will have different Shepard stories. It's not supposed to invalidate your specific Shepard story, so much as it's trying to somehow account for all the different Shepard decisions and outcomes that we all have chosen to make. I mean, a lot of people in this thread refer to Shepard as a she, even though my Shepard was clearly a guy. The coda could've been a meta commentary from BioWare on that. All these people upset about the coda... do they also get upset when they ask their friends what their Shepard did in such and such situation, and they're told something different from their own playthrough?

*shrug* I dunno. I'm fine with the scene.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Zealot wrote: »
    I'm doing the Kasumi/Hanar stuff. I have scanned the terminal in the embassy lounge but where do I go next? Shepard mentioned something about checking out some E-mail...

Go down to I believe it's the holding area.

Also...a useful thing for completing sidequest.

Bring up your map and use the left/right bumpers(not sure what it is on PC) to scroll between them. Usually the map will have points of interest for sidequests.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Zealot wrote: »

you'll want to go down to the temp housing in the loading dock. not the normandy one, but the one with the refugees.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if it's still possible to get the Collector Assault Rifle? How's the art book, anyway?

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying multiplayer (late to the party? didn't play it all in the demo) but man I don't think I'm that great at it. Its all assists all the way down. Matches where everyone gets 75 kills or so, I get 25.

• Options
    I'm really enjoying multiplayer (late to the party? didn't play it all in the demo) but man I don't think I'm that great at it. Its all assists all the way down. Matches where everyone gets 75 kills or so, I get 25.

Assists help too.

I would say the most important thing is keep yourself alive, helping with objectives and helping squadmates.

I don't care how many kills someone has if they keep dying while going for them.

• Options

ENDING spoilers

It's a narrative point.

Well... see, it is unreliable, in the sense that we all have different Shepard stories. I felt that that was probably what they were going for, as different players will have different Shepard stories. It's not supposed to invalidate your specific Shepard story, so much as it's trying to somehow account for all the different Shepard decisions and outcomes that we all have chosen to make. I mean, a lot of people in this thread refer to Shepard as a she, even though my Shepard was clearly a guy. The coda could've been a meta commentary from BioWare on that. All these people upset about the coda... do they also get upset when they ask their friends what their Shepard did in such and such situation, and they're told something different from their own playthrough?

Given that
    we have that - really awesome and touching - scene with Liara where's encoding the failsafe time capsules with all the information they have about the Reapers, and is asking what story of Shepard she should put in, I feel like they should've gone with something like that for the coda instead.

Show a museum exhibit with the Glyph narrating about Shepards life.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Or, for...
    A "failure" ending (i.e., one where the Reapers win) have unknown aliens digging up Liara's time capsules and given the next cycle a fighting chance.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Or, for...
    A "failure" ending (i.e., one where the Reapers win) have unknown aliens digging up Liara's time capsules and given the next cycle a fighting chance.
    As mentioned before, the stasis pod. "Commander Shepard! We've been invaded by the-" "Reapers, got it, let's go." Muttering "Not this shit again..."

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    plus, it's
    X thousand years after, and everyone's died LONG ago. the important thing is the reapers are no longer threatening the galaxy. the various particulars of who lives and dies in the ending are pretty moot compared to the larger realities - what state did you leave the galaxy in? is it poised to rebuild? is there peace or conflict? people saying that the endings completely trivialize your decisions are silly geese.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options

Assists help too.

I would say the most important thing is keep yourself alive, helping with objectives and helping squadmates.

I don't care how many kills someone has if they keep dying while going for them.

Yep, I understand that but sometimes I want to be 'the guy' instead of the sidekick :P

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    plus, it's
    X thousand years after, and everyone's died LONG ago. the important thing is the reapers are no longer threatening the galaxy. the various particulars of who lives and dies in the ending are pretty moot compared to the larger realities - what state did you leave the galaxy in? is it poised to rebuild? is there peace or conflict? people saying that the endings completely trivialize your decisions are silly geese.
    It's only thousands of years later when Buzz Aldrin is talking. And whether there is galactic peace or not depends very much on what I specifically did with the krogans and turians, and the quarians and geth, which the game completely tosses out the window. After a hundred hours of playtime, I don't think five minutes of explanatory epilogue exploring the choices I made over the course of the series is too much to ask.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular

Assists help too.

Yep, I understand that but sometimes I want to be 'the guy' instead of the sidekick :P

Which classes are you playing?

Everyone can be FLASH GORDON, SAVIOR OF THE UNIVERSE if they're carrying a Carnifex or better, but barring that some classes tend toward crowd control, picking off scaries or just murdering everything everywhere.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular

ENDING spoilers

It's a narrative point.

That's not true. Everyone does have a different Shepard, sure. Who made different decisions. But each has their own universe. It's the multi-verse theory in practice.

Each decision in the game is taken. You don't take both at the same time. So when you reach the end of the game, it's as though all those other Shepards dont exist. They're just possibilities outside the context of the narrative. They're meta Shepards that don't count.

The unreliable narrator makes another layer of uncertainty on top of that, by making the 'canon Shepard' as unreliable as the rest.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Or, for...
    As mentioned before, the stasis pod. "Commander Shepard! We've been invaded by the-" "Reapers, got it, let's go." Muttering "Not this shit again..."

This is the best idea.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Shepard is awakened by a plucky Yahg tech-maiden who has devoted her life to piecing together the story of The Shepard and his flock.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    ok so is the Talon supposed to be like a revolver pistol shotgun? and therefore awesome to use as a vanguard?

this is the one I mean

M-358_Talon_profile.png

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    So apparently people will kick you out of multi for just BEING a Vanguard. Haha, losers.

That happened to me today.

Then I was high scorer of the match.

So nya.

I have to admit after my last match I could see why. I was with two Vanguards, and both of them were beyond bad. One charged into the heat of the battle against 5 other enemies. Now at level 10, what would be your guess that she was smart enough to get Barrier Charge AND get her Nova to reduce cooldown by 25%? The obvious answer is no.

Assists help too.

Stupid fellow Vanguards who use Nova immediately after Charging.... Is it a wonder they end up dying 2 seconds later? It was their stupid fault for immediately Charging an Atlas...

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular

ENDING spoilers

endin spoilers
    It's the explanation for why there are eight billion kinds of Shepards, what with all the different decisions you can make. I thought that was pretty clear.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Lemming wrote: »

ENDING spoilers

endin spoilers
    It's the explanation for why there are eight billion kinds of Shepards, what with all the different decisions you can make. I thought that was pretty clear.

But but but.
    That's completely unnecessary. Why would they feel the need to do that? This is silly. This ending is silly. It's not as bad as the entire story of that last Red Faction game, though. That was awful.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    God the Yahg
    When you go to the STG facility:

Shepard: "Watch out people, the next shadow broker seems to have gotten loose..."
    Garrus: "Yeah I think I heard it saying 'Liara T'Soni'"
    Liara: "That's not funny."

Seriously the old team are the best team, and Garrus is the awesomest bro.

• Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »

ENDING spoilers

endin spoilers

But but but.
    That's completely unnecessary. Why would they feel the need to do that? This is silly. This ending is silly. It's not as bad as the entire story of that last Red Faction game, though. That was awful.
    It wasn't necessary, but neither was anything else in the games? It's part of the story and they wanted to do it, so they did.

• Options

Assists help too.

Everyone can be FLASH GORDON, SAVIOR OF THE UNIVERSE if they're carrying a Carnifex or better, but barring that some classes tend toward crowd control, picking off scaries or just murdering everything everywhere.

Currently a Salarian Engineer. Although, I think I will change to a quarian engineer or Drell adept when available to me.

• Options
    So apparently people will kick you out of multi for just BEING a Vanguard. Haha, losers.

So nya.

I have to admit after my last match I could see why. I was with two Vanguards, and both of them were beyond bad. One charged into the heat of the battle against 5 other enemies. Now at level 10, what would be your guess that she was smart enough to get Barrier Charge AND get her Nova to reduce cooldown by 25%? The obvious answer is no.

Assists help too.

Stupid fellow Vanguards who use Nova immediately after Charging.... Is it a wonder they end up dying 2 seconds later? It was their stupid fault for immediately Charging an Atlas...

So true...a lot of people are just bad at vanguarding. Makes the rest of us look bad.

I saw a Vanguard with a sniper rifle...I don't even know.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular

ENDING spoilers

endin spoilers

But but but.
    I thought it was clear, since Buzz agrees to tell one more about The Shepard, that it was setting up for DLC stuff.

LIke:
    "...And that's how the Shepard got new clothes for his friends."

"Tell me another story about The Shepard!"

"Okay, one more..."

"...And that's how The Shepard got a new friend to ride around shooting stuff with him."

ad nauseum

• Options
    edited March 2012

Assists help too.

Currently a Salarian Engineer. Although, I think I will change to a quarian engineer or Drell adept when available to me.

Yeah, you'll be in assist land for some time with those picks. They ain't the hard hitters of the line up, though they can work just fine. Quarian engineer can do some neat stuff if they get the flamethrower upgrade for their turret, and one of my favorite team players ever was using a Drell adept. God bless that guy.

Salarian infiltrator is a horrifying beast of self sufficiency, if you ever unlock it. Energy drain and cloak are a match made in Salarian heaven.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

So nya.

Assists help too.

So true...a lot of people are just bad at vanguarding. Makes the rest of us look bad.

I am an Infiltrator who is trying to be better at Vanguarding.

I want to bring a very light but powerful weapon so I can just charge around all day, so I'm thinking pistol. would the Talon be good?

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »

So nya.

Assists help too.

I want to bring a very light but powerful weapon so I can just charge around all day, so I'm thinking pistol. would the Talon be good?

SMG is better - generally - since when you can't charge is when you're going to want to be barrier/shield stripping.

• Options
    edited March 2012

ENDING spoilers

endin spoilers

But but but.
    I thought it was clear, since Buzz agrees to tell one more about The Shepard, that it was setting up for DLC stuff.

LIke:
    "...And that's how the Shepard got new clothes for his friends."

"Okay, one more..."

"...And that's how The Shepard got a new friend to ride around shooting stuff with him."

ad nauseum

Oooooooooh. DLC. Right. I always forget about that motivation.

I'm like a particularly stubborn breed of Flat Earther, it just doesn't occur to me.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Joolander wrote: »

So nya.

Assists help too.

The Talon is actually a shotgun in pistol form. So yeah. It would be good.

This discussion has been closed.