As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Comics News] IV: The Voyage Home

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    there's no such thing as too late to redeem a character.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    there's no such thing as too late to redeem a character.

youngblood

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    no

such

thing

Drift became a decent character in Transformers fiction over time, and he's a fucking japanese inspired drift racing car samurai in a rising sun paintjob with katakana on his doors that said his name, that spoke little and used swords instead of guns

give a team or character or concept to the right author, and magic can happen

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Stormwatch was a bunch of retards until Ellis made them a bunch of assholes

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    no

such

thing

Drift became a decent character in Transformers fiction over time, and he's a fucking japanese inspired drift racing car samurai in a rising sun paintjob with katakana on his doors that said his name, that spoke little and used swords instead of guns

Wait. What was the problem here?

• Options
    surely you jest

he was a brand new character with all that going on
    and he was introduced by a horrible author, shane mccarthy, who fucked up the IDW storyline in 2008 at the same time

and not only that, the goddamned Wreckers led by Kup showed him respect

the wreckers
    the big badasses who've been around in fiction since the 80s

and, Drift is an ex-Decepticon

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah ...

I'm not seeing a problem with the character concept. The writing may have been crap, but the idea sounds fun.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    he sounds like a 13 year old's fan character!

he's been changed for the better with Roberts' characterization

he's no longer just some silent "badass", he's embraced his spiritual side, he's very upbeat and positive, and he helps write Rodimus's speeches

• Options
    that sounds like taking all the fun away from him

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    But I mean, I'm glad Bendis hasn't used him.

Because he's probably make him really dumb, strip him of his personality, set him up for big things before sidelining him, and then ultimately kill him off.

I know everyone talks about how Bendis uses and promotes all the new characters made by other writers, but uh, maybe he should stop.
    He's killed off Echo too!

I am willing to accept that the way that the Sentry was going with Bendis, he needed to be killed off. It was the logical ending to all that.

But I don't accept that the way he was going was good, well-thought out or even planned in advance

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular

The whole franchise sounds like a 13 year old's pitch for a comic series, though. Or you know, a greedy toy executive. (I don't mean this in a negative way, I like Transformers and love ROM the Space Knight, but there are some things that you just can't take too seriously)

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    if anti gets temp banned again, i blame you hensler

• Options
    Some kind of crazy Japanese super-car Transformer actually sounds pretty cool

• Options
    Hensler wrote: »

The whole franchise sounds like a 13 year old's pitch for a comic series, though. Or you know, a greedy toy executive. (I don't mean this in a negative way, I like Transformers and love ROM the Space Knight, but there are some things that you just can't take too seriously)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeIiAEQTbhY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07So_lJQyqw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BbRffBCeYw&feature=related
    Arivia wrote: »
    that sounds like taking all the fun away from him
    he wasn't fun at all! he was basically a 90s "badass" character like youngblood without any self-awareness! he didn't talk much, and he killed things.
    he barely ever transformed, even! there was too much fighting and space debating going on at the time because they guy who wrote him is a bad author!

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Because he's probably make him really dumb, strip him of his personality, set him up for big things before sidelining him, and then ultimately kill him off.

I know everyone talks about how Bendis uses and promotes all the new characters made by other writers, but uh, maybe he should stop.

I am willing to accept that the way that the Sentry was going with Bendis, he needed to be killed off. It was the logical ending to all that.

But I don't accept that the way he was going was good, well-thought out or even planned in advance

Wait, when did your spoiler happen? That it's made no news seems odd.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

Wait, when did your spoiler happen? That it's made no news seems odd.

It happened in Moon Knight #9

But I was like "this is a fake-out"

Then next issue, well, it seems pretty confirmed to me

Which really sucks

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Killing people off is always boring. They've become part of the Canon, death doesn't affect them. It's not even a bad thing, it just isn't an interesting plot point outside creator owned books. You're basically just declaring an indefinite hiatus and mandating a shitty comeback if anyone wants to use them. I wish they used retirement more often.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Comixology is at 50 million comic downloads so far

5 million comics were sold in December of 2011 alone, when 6.4 million physical copies and tpbs were sent by diamond. Granted there will be a fair amount of back issues/digital coupons and month behind books being bought for monetary purposes, but even if the "real" monthly sales is even half that, it's a good sign.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Sentry and
    Echo
    got off easier than characters Bendis loathes. What he did to Tigra was terrible.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

5 million comics were sold in December of 2011 alone, when 6.4 million physical copies and tpbs were sent by diamond. Granted there will be a fair amount of back issues/digital coupons and month behind books being bought for monetary purposes, but even if the "real" monthly sales is even half that, it's a good sign.

I really wonder how many people total out there are buying comics on Comixology that never bought comics before.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    A friend of mine that always borrowed my books now has almost a 100 issue collection and growing now that he can get digital.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've spent a silly amount on digital comics over the last year due to sales they've had.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    I really like how Marvel sometimes puts first issues of series up for free on their app

like they've had FF #1, the first issue of Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider, and a bunch of other stuff up for free for a limited time

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Huh, this is interesting. Apparently, DC is doing a new reprint of Batman: Year One, and they're doing a bad job of it. David Mazzucchelli sez:
    First, they redesigned the cover, and recolored my artwork - probably to look more like their little DVD that came out last year; second, they printed the book on shiny paper, which was never a part of the original design, all the way back to the first hardcover in 1988; third - and worst - they printed the color from corrupted, out-of-focus digital files, completely obscuring all of Richmond's hand-painted work.

That doesn't sound very good.

• Options

I really wonder how many people total out there are buying comics on Comixology that never bought comics before.

My boyfriend, too.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    This is probably the best comic book article I've ever read. Or, my favorite, at least. It's called "Why Spider-Man Is The Best Character Ever (Yes, Even Better Than Batman)":
    http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/03/09/ask-chris-96-why-spider-man-is-the-best-character-ever-yes

I guess the title may be engineered a bit too much to provoke a reaction, but please, read the full article before you get riled up. It's a really fucking good piece.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    This is a damn good article.

• Options
    fucking a

i mean

i still think of Superman as First and Greatest

but Spider-Man as Best, man. i feel totally justified having those two as my favorites.

• Options
    So this is really interesting to me:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/03/09/february-2012-sales-market-share/

in February, apparently Marvel sold more comics in total, but they don't have any single title selling better than any of DC's top titles. pretty crazy.

• Options
    Superman is the purest form of the Superhero as an icon and an ideal

Spider-Man is the purest form of the Superhero as a person

• Options
    Well said.

• Options
    Sad news. Moebius passed away today from cancer.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=37456

• Options
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

• Options
    Sad news man

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    10fsE.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    i still think of Superman as First and Greatest

:-)

:-(

Another one of those guys whose work I haven't read enough of. I mostly know him from hearing people say "That was like a Moebious strip." And I don't really know what that means.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    herojoe wrote: »

:-(

Another one of those guys whose work I haven't read enough of. I mostly know him from hearing people say "That was like a Moebious strip." And I don't really know what that means.

Oh jeez. Man, I'm sorry. You've been poorly educated. A Mobius strip has nothing to do with the artist Moebius.

• Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Wow I'm an idiot.

To be fair, the man did make comic strips.

herojoe on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I stare at Moebius' stuff everyday because I use cropped pics of his work as my phone's various wallpapers. I love that dude and am sad to see him go.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Al Baron wrote:
    10fsE.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out what it is that we learned today. Here are the various lessons that I can derive from this anecdote:
    1) Moebius hates inking; do not ask him to ink things.
    2) Moebius thinks that inking art makes it not-art; do not ask him to ink things.
    3) Moebius thinks that you should be satisfied with what you get, and not ask for more.
    4) Moebius thinks that asking an artist for a sketch and then asking them to do more work on the sketch is rude.

I'm not trying be a jerk, I seriously don't understand what lesson Moebius was trying to impart.

This discussion has been closed.