As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    At the very least I picked up two 5lb plates, going to start things off at 10lb per arm and go up from there.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    Rest week is over!

Goals for this training period: crush all squats over 320, get into comfortably repping 225 on bench

I'm trying out the boring but big three month challenge that Wendler posted on T-Nation. 5x10 for squats and deadlifts at 50%/60%/70% sounds terrifying and also fun. Praying for no aneurysms.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Full Jennifer Thompson Arnold video. You guys want to see what strong looks like, this is it. The tl;dr version is she weighed in at 131ish lbs and totaled 1045.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNQP382CT2k

Peen on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    529 wilks. Lifting classic (not even wrapped).

Jesus Christ, Ms Thompson.

• Options
    I KNOW RIGHT?!

• Options
    ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    My gym replaced the old leg press machine with a fancy, new, and terribly uncomfortable looking one so I gotta find a new squat assistance exercise. I'm thinking power cleans, but that might be a bit much on 5/3/1 BBB...

"Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    Also holy shit Jennifer Thompson you goddess, you.

• Options
    I’ve got good intel that our gym record for women’s deadlift of 180kg is going to be broken at this weekend’s comp.

Likely contender is lifting classic and aiming for 200kg at 73kg bw.

Will be an insane lift if it goes up.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    ninzorjons wrote: »
    My gym replaced the old leg press machine with a fancy, new, and terribly uncomfortable looking one so I gotta find a new squat assistance exercise. I'm thinking power cleans, but that might be a bit much on 5/3/1 BBB...

You could try duck stance deadlifts. Or just man up and use the uncomfortable leg press machine. Power cleans aren't even nearly the same thing

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Not even a 3-plate bench. Not very impressive.

But really - that is pretty goddamn insane.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Sl-

Slider?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    I don't know about you imperial jokers, but here a competition three plate bench is 175kg.

I am hoping to beat Jennifer Thompson's bench this weekend. At 40kg heavier. And as a man.

And even still, I'm doubtful.

• Options

Sl-

Slider?

That was the joke.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I don't know about you imperial jokers, but here a competition three plate bench is 175kg.

I am hoping to beat Jennifer Thompson's bench this weekend. At 40kg heavier. And as a man.

Ah well I was counting 20kg plates, my bad. I've never touched, or even seen, a 25kg plate in my life, so that's what I mean when I refer to "plate".

And I'm across the pond from you, so no Imperial stuff here sir.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The Gold's here FINALLY got a goddamned T-bar.

Guess they got sick of me wrecking the walls with barbells.

• Options
    Frat GuiseFrat Guise Registered User regular
    I gotta find a new squat assistance exercise. I'm thinking power cleans, but that might be a bit much on 5/3/1 BBB...

BBB is the assistance, you don't have to add any more stuff.

• Options

Ah well I was counting 20kg plates, my bad. I've never touched, or even seen, a 25kg plate in my life, so that's what I mean when I refer to "plate".

Everyone's across the pond from him, he lives on an island.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Frat Guise wrote: »
    I gotta find a new squat assistance exercise. I'm thinking power cleans, but that might be a bit much on 5/3/1 BBB...

BBB is the assistance, you don't have to add any more stuff.

BBB is the main lift repeated, for 5 sets of 10, plus another assistance exercise of your choosing

ninzorjons on
  • Options
    Frat GuiseFrat Guise Registered User regular
    BBB is the main lift repeated, for 5 sets of 10, plus another assistance exercise of your choosing

I know what BBB is, it's meant to be the assistance. Adding another major movement like power cleans would be way overkill in my opinion. BBB is already an assload of assistance volume, at least personally I wouldn't be stressing to add another movement (or anything, but you may recover far quicker than I do).

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Hey neat. I never realized Fitocracy had a History tab in the Profile section.

Graphs!

• Options
    Peen wrote: »

Everyone's across the pond from him, he lives on an island.

Yes but I live on the biggest island next to him.

• Options
    It's pretty remote down here. If you look straight out from the East Coast, you're looking at Chile. If you look straight out from the West Coast, you're looking at Argentina. Either way, we've got those sneaky South Americans covered.

I'm tossing up a move to Aus, to be honest. Life in Wellington, as amazing as this place is, is wearing pretty thin on the old badger.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    necroSYS wrote: »
    The Gold's here FINALLY got a goddamned T-bar.

Guess they got sick of me wrecking the walls with barbells.

Haha, I wrecked the walls at the old uni gym I trained at. Their solution was just to fix metal plates onto that bit of the wall.

New gym has a landmine like so:

Landmine.jpg

It is hells of fun. Rows, standing Russian twists and side bends galore.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    It's pretty remote down here. If you look straight out from the East Coast, you're looking at Chile. If you look straight out from the West Coast, you're looking at Argentina. Either way, we've got those sneaky South Americans covered.

I'm tossing up a move to Aus, to be honest. Life in Wellington, as amazing as this place is, is wearing pretty thin on the old badger.

Oh yeah, what in particular don't you like about Wellington?

• Options

Oh yeah, what in particular don't you like about Wellington?

I love it here. It is the most amazing city and to be honest, I will have no problems with settling down here. The weather is crap some of the time but when it turns it on, it's incredible.

Just feeling claustrophobic at the moment. Too much drama and too little space. Could use a bit of a change for a while.

• Options
    Ah yeah fair enough. I was about to say - I'm surprised a Kiwi wants to come here. NZ is like a quieter, friendlier version of Australia.

But I understand that feeling. I'm pretty sick of living in Sydney at the moment. The people here are rude, self-absorbed dumb fuckwits. So like any big city, really.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    So move to queensland like a normal person

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    So move away from queensland like a normal person

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    Just wanted to chime in that I asked about squatting without a spotter a couple weeks back, and you all offerred some pretty sage advice.

Have taken to going without a spotter, but letting the people around me know that if I start to huff like a wounded buffalo, it means I need help. Has worked out fairly well so far, though I haven't moved to any serious weight yet.

In any case, thanks e'rrybody.

PSN: peepshowofforce
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i went to the gym today

it had been a while because of snowboarding trips + life disorganization

still can't squat, but it's almost april which is when my new insurance starts and once i get back from my japan trip i am going to a new PT
    so that's good

poo
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    I've been feeling terrible but I know I need to go to the gym.

• Options
    Ah yeah fair enough. I was about to say - I'm surprised a Kiwi wants to come here. NZ is like a quieter, friendlier version of Australia.

But I understand that feeling. I'm pretty sick of living in Sydney at the moment. The people here are rude, self-absorbed dumb fuckwits. So like any big city, really.

If I'm doing this, it'll be Melbourne. It's a rule: Aucklanders move to Sydney, Wellingtonians move to Melbourne. Plus I have a few mates over there who I wouldn't mind reconnecting with.

Anyway, to keep this roughly on topic, I had my final session pre comp last night and took squats for a spin. Haven't been able to go over 100kg in about 3 weeks due to this hip problem. I had been planning on just putting up a token squat in competition but when I turned the dial up last night it responded surprisingly well. Went to a very clean and fast single at 160kg.

Have got another appointment with my miracle working sports therapist this morning (and maybe tomorrow too, if I can find the time) but with a little luck I might look good for 190kg+ come Saturday.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    good luck at the comp, TRB

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Cheers mate. I need a 575kg total to qualify for Nationals in August. If I don't get it here, I have to get it at the North Island Champs in June.

I'd pretty much written off my chances of achieving it this weekend given the state of the hip but closer analysis suggests this might actually come down to the wire. Will need to go 9/9, hit PBs in at least two of the three lifts and encourage a 200kg squat out of this hip.

Let's be honest though. That ain't nothing but a thing.

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    So, I am doing a modified version of the strong lifts 5x5 program right now. Up until today I have been progressing pretty regularly. Then today hit and it was like I was fully alert and ready at the gym, but my body lacked the capacity to lift. I managed to get through my exercises, although it took a lot longer than usual.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? It wasn't as if I was disoriented, it just felt like I could barely get through anything.

• Options
    Comahawk wrote: »
    So, I am doing a modified version of the strong lifts 5x5 program right now. Up until today I have been progressing pretty regularly. Then today hit and it was like I was fully alert and ready at the gym, but my body lacked the capacity to lift. I managed to get through my exercises, although it took a lot longer than usual.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? It wasn't as if I was disoriented, it just felt like I could barely get through anything.

What do you mean by ‘modified’?

Completely normal to have flat days though. My standard (lame) joke on those days is that Coach accidentally left the gravity turned up.

Rest up, eat up and you’ll more than likely be back to normal.

Unless by ‘modified’ you mean you’ve tweaked something which has ramped your fatigue right up or messed with your recovery. In which case, that might be your issue.

I’d wager flat day. Also bear in mind that the stronglifts 5x5 works on linear progression. By definition it will get harder as you go. Much harder. You can get a good payoff if you trust your body and push onwards though.

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Comahawk wrote: »

What do you mean by ‘modified’?

Completely normal to have flat days though. My standard (lame) joke on those days is that Coach accidentally left the gravity turned up.

Rest up, eat up and you’ll more than likely be back to normal.

Unless by ‘modified’ you mean you’ve tweaked something which has ramped your fatigue right up or messed with your recovery. In which case, that might be your issue.

I’d wager flat day. Also bear in mind that the stronglifts 5x5 works on linear progression. By definition it will get harder as you go. Much harder. You can get a good payoff if you trust your body and push onwards though.

This is what I am figuring and hoping.

Modified in that I have added to the program, basically 4 other exercises on top of the standard 3/day. Although they are not as intense, and targeting my weaker areas, such as lat pulldowns, bicep curls, isometric pushups, pull ups. Basically things to help for weak points on my CF Expres test (push ups) and to enable me to do pull ups (I have never been able to do them, so I am using an assisted pull up machine to build my strength up)

By comparison, I have basically taken the 5x5 program and added quite a few targeted exercises to the mix.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Well that's one last thing I should need to buy. While cleaning up the back rooms in our basement, we found some old lifting equipment. Two barbells, one that's busted and doesn't have both... uh, not sure the term, what keeps the weights from crushing into your fingers.

The second one is in decent shape, will need a little cleaning but otherwise it's good. Also found a single dumbbell, probably another back there. More importantly along with them came some weights, the usable barbell had probably 40lbs or something on it and there's a box with even more. These look like older weights, and according to someone I asked they're filled with sand. Would it be okay to use them if they are intact/undamaged?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    no i forbid it

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    for reals though as long as they feel safe why not. weightlifting is pretty much just picking up heavy things then putting them down again

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
This discussion has been closed.