As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NCAA Tournament] Bracket Pool in OP

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Second round, and Iowa State is pretty good.

No, actually, the 2nd round is after the first four. At least, that's how CBS was calling it. They're not play in games anymore, they're the first round.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    http://deadspin.com/5892329/the-2012-ncaa-tournament-bracket-is-here

Check the official bracket, it calls the round of 64 "2nd"

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Second round, and Iowa State is pretty good.

No, actually, the 2nd round is after the first four. At least, that's how CBS was calling it. They're not play in games anymore, they're the first round.

No, you reject their bullshit.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    I think that ISU vs Uconn game is gonna be a toss up , Uconn isn't as good as they were last year. Though if you watched the Texas game ISU can let a medicore team look good at the end.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I put up a Yahoo bracket group:

Group ID#: 99128
    Group Password: wang

Or just click this link!

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/register/joinprivategroup_assign_team?GID=99128&P=wang

Or if you prefer using ESPN instead of Yahoosports, go check out SE++'s March Madness thread

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    Some random musings:

It figures Kentucky would get a Duke team that should have been a 3 seed.

I think UNC/Kansas is the most sure-fire 1-2 matchup we'll see, followed by Syracuse/Ohio St.

Michigan State has it the hardest out of the 1 seeds, as they'll most likely play Louisville and Missouri.

I don't see how Duke is a 3 seed with NC as a 1 seed when the two came down to the final game for the regular season ACC championship, and both should have been knocked out in the semi final of the ACC tournament (if not for some terrible officiating at the end of the NC State/NC game where there was a no call on a charge and a no call on the last shot).

I'd say there are six elite teams this year: Kentucky, Syracuse, MSU, OSU, Kansas, Missouri. I don't think either ACC team is one of them.

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    I AM PREDICTING THE PLAY-IN ROUND GODDAMMIT NOBODY EVER LETS ME PREDICT THE PLAY-IN ROUND

Western Kentucky over Mississippi Valley St.
    BYU over Iona
    Vermont over Lamar
    Cal over South Florida

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    I have Cal to the round of 32, based on blind faith in Ken Pomeroy.

Does anyone want to explain to me pundits' love of Memphis? Tom Izzo vs. Josh Pastner is like I dunno, Jordan vs. me one on one. And Rick Majerus is no slouch either.

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I'm in New Orleans for the SEC tournament, and this is my first real experience with how well UK fans travel. Blue is everywhere, and the stadium is packed with Wildcat fans. All of these games are essentially home games for UK, including the LSU game. Somebody was saying "LSU is 80 miles from New Orleans, and I think there were maybe 80 LSU fans at that game."

We flew in from Nashville, which is Vandy's home city, and on the (full) plane there were like 15 people not in some kind of SEC gear, 1 Vandy fan, 2 Tennessee fans, and the rest were UK fans.

Considering the SEC tournament doesn't really matter for UK almost at all, this kind of turnout is insane. "Blue Orleans" indeed.

I'll bet that was awesome! How does that work, getting tickets to a tournament? Does that one ticket let you go to all the games?

kyrcl.png
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I don't see how Duke is a 3 seed with NC as a 1 seed when the two came down to the final game for the regular season ACC championship, and both should have been knocked out in the semi final of the ACC tournament (if not for some terrible officiating at the end of the NC State/NC game where there was a no call on a charge and a no call on the last shot).

This year, Duke had some pretty awful moments where not only did they lose, they lost in grand fashion. They just don't seem as good as their record or seed indicate.

mrt144 on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Does anyone want to explain to me pundits' love of Memphis? Tom Izzo vs. Josh Pastner is like I dunno, Jordan vs. me one on one. And Rick Majerus is no slouch either.

Couldn't tell you. I've barely watched any college basketball this season and have relied on the Yahoo Sports writeups to help me tell one team from another so I can make semi-reasoned picks and then bludgeon them unto death by saying things like 'I need a double-digit seed in the Sweet 16!'

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular

I haven't seen pundit love for Memphis. They absolutely deserved a lower seed than 8 based off their strength of schedule and RPI. They walked over the competition of the C-USA tourney with an average margin of victory greater than 22 points. They lost 8 games, by an average of 4.1 points; and their worst losses to Michigan at -12 and Georgetown at -11. Of those 8 losses, 4 were by one basket.

I don't want to come off as a Memphis homer, but after some early season stumbles they came together and performed better than I expected. And they are an incredibly deep team; the starting five has two or three future professional players. A potential lottery pick has been coming off the bench (Adonis Thomas was sidelined with a foot injury early this year), but there are 2 or 3 more players who can give good minutes with a little fall off of production.

That being said, from what I've heard about SLU is their antithesis; slow and precise. I do not know how they rebound, but that was one of Memphis's weaknesses all season. If Memphis can turn it into a track meet, I expect a Memphis victory.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    I'd say there are six elite teams this year: Kentucky, Syracuse, MSU, OSU, Kansas, Missouri. I don't think either ACC team is one of them.

Vegas disagrees with you:
    Kentucky 8/5
    North Carolina 5/1
    Syracuse 7/1
    Ohio State 7/1
    Michigan State 8/1
    Kansas 10/1
    Missouri 10/1
    Duke 12/1

Source

I would download a car.
    mrt144 wrote: »

This year, Duke had some pretty awful moments where not only did they lose, they lost in grand fashion. They just don't seem as good as their record or seed indicate.
    That sounds awfully BCS-ish, and I hate the BCS. I thought the only such thing as "bad losses" were losses to teams with crappy records or weaker teams, and I haven't been following the ACC closely enough to know those.

• BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular

That sounds awfully BCS-ish, and I hate the BCS. I thought the only such thing as "bad losses" were losses to teams with crappy records or weaker teams, and I haven't been following the ACC closely enough to know those.

Fortunately, it doesn't matter. If Duke's the best then they'll win regardless of seeding.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    lazegamer wrote: »

Kentucky 8/5
    North Carolina 5/1
    Syracuse 7/1
    Ohio State 7/1
    Michigan State 8/1
    Kansas 10/1
    Missouri 10/1
    Duke 12/1

Source

That really has less to do with the chances of them actually winning as much as Duke and UNC are two incredibly popular teams and will get a lot of money behind them

well I shouldn't say that, but I would say their odds are inflated (deflated?) by the extra money that will always be on Duke and UNC.

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    lazegamer wrote: »

Kentucky 8/5
    North Carolina 5/1
    Syracuse 7/1
    Ohio State 7/1
    Michigan State 8/1
    Kansas 10/1
    Missouri 10/1
    Duke 12/1

Source

That really has less to do with the chances of them actually winning as much as Duke and UNC are two incredibly popular teams and will get a lot of money behind them

well I shouldn't say that, but I would say their odds are inflated (deflated?) by the extra money that will always be on Duke and UNC.

This doesn't seem reasonable. I don't bet often, so maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think they would put themselves in a risky bet to attract gamblers. They will find them anyway.

I would download a car.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    They're giving worse odds than Duke and UNC probably deserve because of the extra money, so they're lowering their risk, I think. I'm not entirely positive how it works when it's not a straight two outcome bet (people who don't bet on Duke to win aren't specifically betting on Duke to lose).

Vegas adjusts its odds constantly to stabilize the amount of money on both sides. Not sure if they equilibrate all 68 (?) teams by some more complicated system or what, though.

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular

Talking to some duke fans, they are worried about consistency and killer instinct.

• SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular

I've seen the "athletic" card tossed around. I mean, sure, a team can be athletic and win, but it seems like a sportsy weasel word to me. Should be a good game, provided Memphis wins its first round (and, I suppose, MSU doesn't make infamous history)

I've seen the "athletic" card tossed around. I mean, sure, a team can be athletic and win, but it seems like a sportsy weasel word to me. Should be a good game, provided Memphis wins its first round (and, I suppose, MSU doesn't make infamous history)

It's not like State isn't athletic! If Payne weren't a moron, he's a lottery pick. Memphis is awfully coached. Beilein absolutely destroyed Pastner when we played them early in the year. And while I tend to think Beilein is basically the best in game coach in the country (he does more with less talent than pretty much anyone), Izzo's not far behind.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    My first pass through my bracket had a disturbing amount of chalk hold up. That's not usually the case with me.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    I feel like that's something of a trend lately though. I personally blame the expanded play-in round (fuck you "1st" rounders) and the fact that the selection committee is more self-aware these days. There's also the expanded visibility of the mid-majors that causes fewer teams to be underrated for that reason. Just off the top of my head I can think of 7 teams that would have been double-digit seeds ten years ago (Wichita, UNLV, New Mexico, Murray, St. Mary's, San Diego State, and Creighton).

camo_sig2.png
    I'm not super chalky until the Elite Eight when I have... pure chalk.

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular

It's not like State isn't athletic! If Payne weren't a moron, he's a lottery pick. Memphis is awfully coached. Beilein absolutely destroyed Pastner when we played them early in the year. And while I tend to think Beilein is basically the best in game coach in the country (he does more with less talent than pretty much anyone), Izzo's not far behind.

In the Maui Classic he absolutely got out coached by Michigan, and Georgetown. Pastner's biggest knock all season by the local sports media and certain fans that he's out of his league and a bad coach, and in C-USA that doesn't say much. Personally I feel he just needs to get a handle on player control, and he will be fine in the long run. In his first 3 years at the program, he's won 2 C-USA titles and the amassed 75 wins faster than any coach in their history, even Calipari.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
    A little bit of crossover from the political threads, Nate Silver has applied his methods to the NCAA tournament.

I would download a car.
    Fab Melo is out for the tournament, so adjust brackets accordingly. I'm not sure I can avoid taking the Buckeyes out of that region now and it is making me sad.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Wisconsin could beat them!

Ok, done laughing?

Veevee wrote:

Ok, done laughing?

If only Wisconsin ever played well in tournaments this might be true.

camo_sig2.png
    edited March 2012
    OSUJumpMan wrote: »
    Veevee wrote:

Ok, done laughing?

If only Wisconsin ever played well in tournaments this might be true.

I don't know what happens to Bo Ryan, but once it's tournament time it's like he forgets how to coach. It's incredibly infuriating

Veevee on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    President Obama and I agree on our Final Four.

IT IS SO.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
    My Big Ten homerism makes me pick Wisconsin to the Sweet Sixteen every year and they always fail me. Stupid Badgers.

My Big Ten homerism makes me pick Wisconsin to the Sweet Sixteen every year and they always fail me. Stupid Badgers.

This was me in high school with Bob Knight Indiana teams. And the opposite of me with Duke. Stupid Duke.

camo_sig2.png

I always take it one step further with the Badgers getting to the Elite Eight, this year losing to OSU

In fact, I've got a MSU/OSU rematch for the championship.

Big Ten 2-0 in the NIT! This totally means something.
    It means nothing.

Big Ten 2-0 in the NIT! This totally means something.
    It means nothing.

I want to see Northwestern win 4 or 5 straight NIT championships, then finally get their NCAA bid and lose in the first round.

Not really, but that would be hilarious.

camo_sig2.png
    I think the Iowa game was more relevant. They only lose Gatens, got way way way better as the season progressed, and that was a genuinely good atmosphere. I think McCaffrey is a pretty good coach and they're going to be someone to watch next year as a sleeper in conference (depending who goes pro from MSU/OSU/Michigan).