As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] prePAX Magical Mystery Tour 2012 (Wednesday 4/4 & Thursday 4/5) SCHEDULE POSTED

• PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    I will most likely be coming Thursday, along with 2 friends. We've been to PAX East every year but usually take the train so haven't been able to participate in pre-PAX activities. This sounds like it will be fantastic.

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    We're down to the last day of voting. I'll start working on the schedule on Monday.

HI3789R.png
    edited March 2012
    EDIT: Either I'm getting better at this, or the schedule just fell into place easier than usual this time. Schedule is ready and posted!

Wednesday, April 4:
    08:30a meetup @ Boston Common
    09:30a travel time
    10:00a Harvard Museum of Natural History $9
    11:00a Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology
    12:00p travel time
    12:30p lunch - Sunset Grill and Tap
    02:00p travel time
    02:30p New England Aquarium $22.95
    03:30p travel time
    04:00p Harpoon Brewery
    05:00p dinner break
    06:30p Skywalk Observatory $13
    07:45p travel time
    08:30p BU Astronomy night (weather permitting)

Thursday, April 5:
    08:30a meetup @ Boston Common
    09:00a travel time
    10:00a Sam Adams Brewery
    11:00a travel time
    12:00p Freedom Trail $12
    01:30p lunch - Fried Food Extravanganza
    02:30p Mike's Pastry
    03:30p travel time
    04:00p Museum of Science $21

Some notes:
    - It looks like I didn't even include the Peabody Museum in the voting options. Oops. Since it's included with admission to the Harvard Museum, I just scheduled an hour at each. There are right near each other, so you can easily spend all your time at one or the other if you prefer.
    - Since you guys impressed upon me your love for drinking, I chose Wednesday's lunch spot based on this post. It is a sit down restaurant and I only allotted us 90 minutes there. PLEASE HAVE CASH AVAILABLE TO MAKE SPLITTING THE CHECK(S) EASIER. Everyone requesting separate checks will make things more difficult for both us and the waitstaff.
    - I thought the Skywalk Observatory would be cool to do around sunset, so I scheduled it for after dinner. There are a couple restaurants in the Prudential Center, as well as a food court. If those don't please you, there are a number of restaurants and bars in that area for you to choose from. Break up into smaller groups, feed yourselves, and come back for 6:30. (I know some of you have other dinner plans Wednesday evening, so you can do the Skywalk right after Harpoon and then go eat your roasted pigs.)
    - I scheduled 2 Freedom Trail tours, starting 15 minutes apart. Please bring cash to pay for the tour so I don't have to put it on my credit card!

I think that's it. Questions? Comments?

If you want to join the tour, you still can. Please post in the thread with how many people you plan to bring with you so I can add to you to the list.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • TurnedtoGoldTurnedtoGold PittsburghRegistered User regular
    I'll be getting into Boston on Thursday morning with one other friend. We're both definitely interested in stopping by!

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    My comment:

Punzie is awesome.

:D

7B14287.png
  • The_Doctor1The_Doctor1 Registered User regular
    peetsnack wrote: »
    My comment:

Punzie is awesome.

:D

Agreed, definitely awesome. I can't wait for April to get here.

PAX East 2014 Checklist: [X] Time off [X] Plane Ticket [X] Hotel [X] 3-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass
  • willowtasticwillowtastic NL, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just a quick question, as I've never done a tour like this before: How do we get from place to place? Buses, cabs?

• PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    I have also never done one of these and have a question of my own: our flight is getting in at 7:40, by the time we get to the hotel and drop off our bags it might be a bit tight to make it to Boston Common by 8:30, possibly even by 9. How can I coordinate with you guys so we don't end up getting to an empty Boston Common? Are you going to be texting people based on the numbers provided in the survey? Posting updates to a twitter account as you move around the city?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Just a quick question, as I've never done a tour like this before: How do we get from place to place? Buses, cabs?

I've not done it in Boston, but in Seattle we used the bus and other public transport, plus our feet. I assume it will be similar.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have also never done one of these and have a question of my own: our flight is getting in at 7:40, by the time we get to the hotel and drop off our bags it might be a bit tight to make it to Boston Common by 8:30, possibly even by 9. How can I coordinate with you guys so we don't end up getting to an empty Boston Common? Are you going to be texting people based on the numbers provided in the survey? Posting updates to a twitter account as you move around the city?

Punzie posts updates to the twitter account constantly as we move around.

edited March 2012

Thanks for bringing this up. I forgot to mention it and will add info to the OP. We'll be using the subway and a little bit of walking. On the first day, I'll be making sure everyone gets set up with a Charlie card to get unlimited rides for the week ($15). When I get a chance, I'll even be updating the schedule in the OP with the closest T stop to each location.
    How can I coordinate with you guys so we don't end up getting to an empty Boston Common? Are you going to be texting people based on the numbers provided in the survey? Posting updates to a twitter account as you move around the city?

Now that the schedule is posted, you should have a good idea of where we are at any given time. I do also try my best to keep the twitter up to date throughout the tour (link in the OP).

THIS IS IMPORTANT AND IS FOR EVERYONE: Although you will be provided with my phone number, please DO NOT text/call me just to ask where we are or where we will be at a certain time. I have many things to do and keep track of during the tour and I provide you with the schedule and twitter so I don't have to update everyone individually.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • SnipethewolfSnipethewolf Registered User regular
    How might I get on the list of people going to this event?

How might I get on the list of people going to this event?

You have been added, sir. Like magic!

HI3789R.png
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    Punzie rocks! Yay! /end fluttershy voice

Looks like fun WILL be had. ALL the fun.

• gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Let there be TOURING!!!!

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • septagonseptagon Registered User regular
    Punzie, I kind of feel like getting a herd our size from the Harvard area to allston in a half hour for lunch at sunset might be slightly optimistic. You may want to engineer some wiggle room into that part of the day.
    Just a thought from someone who rides the T all the time.

edited March 2012
    septagon wrote: »
    Punzie, I kind of feel like getting a herd our size from the Harvard area to allston in a half hour for lunch at sunset might be slightly optimistic. You may want to engineer some wiggle room into that part of the day.
    Just a thought from someone who rides the T all the time.

Good note. I may have to adjust the schedule day of. If we have a small enough group then (~20), we can just hop a bus and easily get there in the half hour allotted. If we have a larger group, the subway probably is the better option, but take longer, so we'll leave the museums about 15 minutes earlier. We don't have a reservation for lunch (I called and they said we'd be fine without one), so it's not the end of the world if we get there a little later than scheduled.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    Don't worry, punzie. we might not even leave the brewery on thursday.

7B14287.png
  • ascholzkascholzk Registered User new member
    I arrive in Boston at around 3 pm on Thursday so I might just be able to catch the very end of the Magical Mystery Tour of 2012! :(

• Jeff7Jeff7 Registered User new member
    Ditto on the awesomeness.

I'll just have to make sure to try and catch a nap on the plane Thursday morning from getting in so early.

• The_PowerThe_Power Registered User regular
    I'll get to Boston at 9:30 but afraid I won't make it to the tours until after 11 or so. I'll definitely try to make it to Freedom Trail and everything after that!

"You'll shoot your eye out, kid."
  • LedaXILedaXI Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Count me and Ikki in for Thursday. We won't be getting in until Thursday morning, but can't wait to join. :)

OP updated! The schedule now shows the closest T stop to each location. This should be helpful for those who want to join us along the way.
    Trading cards have been designed and ordered thanks to chaosisorder. (So thank you if you like them. Eh, thank her even if you don't like them.) They have a copy of the schedule on the back and I'll be passing them out at the morning meetings. Handy, huh?

HI3789R.png
  • EQVEQV Spaceteam Champ 2013 Registered User regular
    I've lived in Boston for about a year and half, so I'm not going on the MMT, but I will offer this piece of advice to bar food aficionados: I saw that Sunset Grill & Tap is on the itinerary. When you go, check out the nachos. They're less than $9 for a half-order and are HUGE - about the size of a basketball or maybe even a little larger. I haven't gotten the full order but I have to imagine it's even more absurd.

TOURNAMENT CHAMPION - SPACETEAM, PAX EAST 2013
    Team Yellow (S) 2013 - The Ampharos Association
    Pokécrawl Episode 4

Team Blue (G) 2012 - The Fightin' Totodiles
    Pokécrawl Episode 3

PAX East 2012 - Rookie - Saturday, April 7
    PAX East 2013 - Twice as Nice - March 22-24
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Ok folks, we're having Nachos.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Cynni87Cynni87 Registered User new member
    I plan on attending with my hubsand cpdavngr.

• jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    I don't know if anyone's mentioned this to you but are you planning on taking the T to Sunset Grill and Tap?

There is a bus, the 66 bus, that goes directly between Harvard Square and Sunset Grill and Tap in Allston. They come within 10 minutes of each other if everyone doesn't fit one one bus (although its possible, as the 1st stop of the 66 is at Dawes Island in Harvard Square). It will cut your travel time weekday midday ridiculously. Taking the 66 will be 20 minutes max and it stops right in front of Sunset. Taking the T is 17 minutes to Park St, plus another 25-35 minutes fighting with college students taking the B Line, and then a walk (or the alternate, Green Line to 57 bus, which is not much of an improvement).

I might meet up with you guys that Wednesday if I don't help with Setup that day - I live pretty close and I do love beer :)

PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • septagonseptagon Registered User regular
    juju wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone's mentioned this to you but are you planning on taking the T to Sunset Grill and Tap?

There is a bus, the 66 bus, that goes directly between Harvard Square and Sunset Grill and Tap in Allston. They come within 10 minutes of each other if everyone doesn't fit one one bus (although its possible, as the 1st stop of the 66 is at Dawes Island in Harvard Square). It will cut your travel time weekday midday ridiculously. Taking the 66 will be 20 minutes max and it stops right in front of Sunset. Taking the T is 17 minutes to Park St, plus another 25-35 minutes fighting with college students taking the B Line, and then a walk (or the alternate, Green Line to 57 bus, which is not much of an improvement).

I might meet up with you guys that Wednesday if I don't help with Setup that day - I live pretty close and I do love beer :)

This is true, but in Seattle we pretty much overwhelmed a bus that was about the same size as the ones the mbta uses. Its going to end up being a toss up between making better time or having a less chaotic and stressful, if longer, ride on the red and green lines.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    :lol: that bus driver was so pissed

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    septagon wrote: »
    juju wrote: »

There is a bus, the 66 bus, that goes directly between Harvard Square and Sunset Grill and Tap in Allston.

This is true, but in Seattle we pretty much overwhelmed a bus that was about the same size as the ones the mbta uses. Its going to end up being a toss up between making better time or having a less chaotic and stressful, if longer, ride on the red and green lines.

I did check out the 66 bus. I think we'll have to make the call day-of. We should be better with a bus in Boston than we were in Seattle because everyone will have a Charlie card. It's much quicker to just tap the card as you walk pass than each person feeding in money like we did in Seattle.

HI3789R.png
  • B0ndZB0ndZ Registered User new member
    SIGN ME UP! I'LL BE THERE THURSDAY, NOT WEDNESDAY

• tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm coming Wednesday/Thursday! assuming it's not too late...I kinda forgot about these forums for the past couple weeks >.> Never been to Boston/the East Coast, so I wanna do the tourist thing for a change.

tr0tsky on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    I also thought I posted before, but I guess not. I should be there for wednesday until almost the end and the whole trip for thursday.

Updated attendess list up to this point. Check to see if your name is on there. I'll be sending out PM's with relevant information in the next day or 2. If I don't have you on the list, you won't get the PM.
    We look to have a lot more poeple this year! Let's see how many actually show up :P

HI3789R.png
    Wormdundee wrote: »
    I also thought I posted before, but I guess not. I should be there for wednesday until almost the end and the whole trip for thursday.

Sorry. Sometimes I miss things. You are now added :)

HI3789R.png
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I haven't looked through the thread since the sched got posted, but is the City Pass still a worthwhile purchase with our current schedule? I might get one anyway, and check out other things on my own since I arrive on Monday.

edit: Just went and looked, looks like we're going to 4 out of 5 things from the City Pass, so still definitely a good idea. Save ~20 bucks by getting the city pass even if you don't go to the last one. Only one we're missing is Boston Museum of Fine Arts. So maybe that gives me something to do earlier in the week since it's valid for 9 days.

tr0tsky on
    Yes, the city pass is definitely useful if you do both days. If you only do one day, you don't save any $ by buying the pass. It's available at all the stops included in the pass, so you don't need to buy it ahead of time.

HI3789R.png
    I sent out PM's to everyone on my list. If you didn't get one, please let me know.

Capslocked for importance:
    PLEASE BRING CASH TO COVER THE COST OF ADMITTANCE ON THE FREEDOM TRAIL. I called and scheduled 2 tours for us (staggered by 15 minutes). Because we have a group reservation, we must pay in one lump sum, so I will be collecting your cash payment when we get there. The plus side is that if we have a large enough number of people, the cost will actually be cheaper per person.

HI3789R.png
    My shipment of forum badges arrived yesterday so I will definitely have them to hand out on the MMT!

(I'll try to post the suggested items to bring list later today so you can get your planning on.)

HI3789R.png
  • MrSlothMrSloth Registered User regular
    I'm really late to the party but if it's still possible I'd like to bring me +1 more to the tour. Really looking forward to my first time at PAX and this sounds like great fun.