As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect 3: Welcome To Our Thread, Here Are Your Complimentary Tasers and Cyanide Pills

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I wonder what you all expected for the ending?
    The game made it pretty clear that in this mass effect universe, synthetics always outpace organic life. Combine that with individual, free thought and you're bound to get A final conflict.
    As for the "energy wave".... I would've preferred to see more of what it changed, but what did you expect? Reaper diplomats on the citadel?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The game made it pretty clear that in this mass effect universe, synthetics always outpace organic life. Combine that with individual, free thought and you're bound to get A final conflict.
    As for the "energy wave".... I would've preferred to see more of what it changed, but what did you expect? Reaper diplomats on the citadel?
    The themes of the ending needed to be seeded more throughout the series. Yes, synthetic vs. organic is a major theme of Mass Effect, but there was no indication of it being the theme. You've also got self-determination, cooperation, etc.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    The reapers attacked earth first because if we spread the secrets of hep jazz to the rest of the galaxy the reapers stand no chance.

Final battle is a battle of the bands vs. harbinger. Liara's on sax, Garrus on trumpet, Legion on keyboard, Tali's playing drums. Shep is lead vocals of course.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular

just gonna leave this here:

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right

it explains my reasoning pretty well

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    The themes of the ending needed to be seeded more throughout the series. Yes, synthetic vs. organic is a major theme of Mass Effect, but there was no indication of it being the theme. You've also got self-determination, cooperation, etc.
    All those themes are present?
    Self determination of organics (destroy the reapers) vs lack of self determination of synthetics (control the reapers) vs cooperation. It's in those choices. And while the endings might seem "similar", what you decided before changed the game world big time. Hell, if you didn't save jack, she ends up as a phantom fighting you for example.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Self determination of organics (destroy the reapers) vs lack of self determination of synthetics (control the reapers) vs cooperation. It's in those choices. And while the endings might seem "similar", what you decided before changed the game world big time. Hell, if you didn't save jack, she ends up as a phantom fighting you for example.

...But that's not the ending.
    The problem is the ending invalidates the importance of the examples you're giving of how great the ending is.

If you changed the endings to black and white you could hardly even tell which is which. And claiming that, "nono, they're actually really different!" doesn't count when the only difference is the fan speculation of what that particular ending actually did.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    For @Weaver, here's my renegade Shep

xbzeci.jpg

I don't know why he came out asian, he just did and I went with it.

That looks like the kinda dude who leaps out of bed and immediately starts snapping orders.

I can't take a picture of my Shep because I'm part of the console master race

lesser race

• FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    I was victim to the ME1 importing error, however I followed the instructions of using the mass effect saves site to get a face code, the thing is exactly how it was before now. I had change the hair colour and a few other minor details back to how they were.

Also

cell phone pics

you heathens

Weaver wrote: »
    Also

cell phone pics

you heathens

looks like shit

edited March 2012
    Pony wrote: »

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right

To
    5) Brevity
    The ending was the whole sequence, beginning from
    London, to the citadel. I don't call that short. The universe is changed by your actions. Why does a technically "short" ending mean there are no vast repercussions or implications?

To
    4) It is Confusing and Under-Developed
    "t turns out to be a ridiculous AI whose visual representation is the young boy haunting Shepard’s nightmares throughout the game."
    This is because it chose something to endear itself to shepard. If shepard had nightmares about an old comrade's death, that would've been the AI. Looks pretty clear to me.
    And " The AI then claims that he created the Reapers billions of years ago as a means of solving the problem of synthetic life forms killing their organic creators. The Reaper’s whole purpose is to save Organics by killing them, and turning them into synthetics. So that Organics won’t make synthetics who will then kill organics."
    It's not about a single organic species, or even most of them. The theme is domination. Unchecked synthetics wouldn't just fight organics, they could basically sterilize the universe and keep it that way, ultimately ending all life. The reapers stop synthetics from doing this by assimilating and controlling them, and organics are stopped from re-imagining such synthetics by destruction, allowing life to exist.
    It's somewhat convoluted, but not as crazy as the author makes it out to be. It's
    organic development and happiness for as long as you are able to create something that wipes the whole universe clean from the likes of you
    vs
    the universe being wiped clean from the likes of you.

3) Lore Errors, Plot Holes
    * The Mass Relays.

Those guys built the mass relays. They probably know a thing more about them than most people in the ME universe. And in what way energy is released is pretty important. So, that energy wave is simply not a regular explosion, but something else. I mean, look at an engine. You have gallons of gasoline, they explode in the engine. Still you get movement, not destruction.

* Inferred Holocaust
    "Everyone in the galaxy is stranded where they happened to be at that moment, including thousands of ships and millions of alien races now orbiting a ruined Earth."

They still have the regular jump drives. Plus they are (in some endings) now a combination of synthetic and organic life, which probably implies that they are more capable in every way than every songle one of them.
    And, in the combination ending, the reapers aren't destroyed either. They have jump drives capable enough to basically ignore the mass gates.

That point is pretty contrived. Even if this leads to bad things if you chose one of the other endings, but why is this a bad thing for the game? Decisions have repercussions.

* The Normandy’s Escape
    That is more unclear and bugs me somewhat, too.
    Maybe they got back to the normandy after shepard was blasted to hell, so they could try something else, or bury the plans for the crucible somewhere else?

2) Key Philosophical Themes Are Discardedit
    "ultimately disregards all of them in order to force a tired twist ending on players who have seen far too many movies and played far too many games to be surprised. That the ending also requires the player to act contrary to their own actions as established by the series and even Mass Effect 3 itself is just bitter icing on a stale cake."

See

1)
    Player Choice Is Completely Discarded
    I don't know. It's pretty hard to have a million different endings, and the universe is shaped through your actions, whether the consequences are shown or not. What is left, who is left, is all dependant on what you did before. No matter what ending you choose.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    Also

cell phone pics

you heathens

looks like shit

lesser race

The problem is the ending invalidates the importance of the examples you're giving of how great the ending is.

If you changed the endings to black and white you could hardly even tell which is which. And claiming that, "nono, they're actually really different!" doesn't count when the only difference is the fan speculation of what that particular ending actually did.
    An story sometimes leaves room for thought. I am not a fan of the notion that EVERYTHING needs to be spelt out or else it didn't happen.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    At least somebody will stick up for the ending. Not that I agree with any of that.

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Hobnail wrote: »
    At least somebody will stick up for the ending. Not that I agree with any of that.
    It didn't leave a sour taste in my mouth at all. For all the whining you see I was expecting galactica levels of disappointment.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Anderson

Ending spoilers
    I never realized just how very much I love Anderson. Not until he died saying he was proud of me. I just started a new game of ME3, and couldn't help but bawl like a little child, seeing Anderson alive again and remembering his "You did good, child. I'm proud of you." Considering how little, very little time is actually spent with Anderson, it's pretty amazing to me the level of affection I have.

I mean damn, I care way more about his death than Miranda's or Jack's... and I liked Jack and had some actual personal conversations with her.
    See, this is what I am talking about.
    Jack and miranda both lived in my game, and helped me big time. The game world is shaped by your decisions, I don't know what the ending actually changes with that

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Yeah auto. The ending tots pulled a BSG. There's been pages and pages of it. Pages and pages of coherent, educated discussion. Your opinion is yours. As a statement defining the ending, that opinion is wrong.

Weaver on
    wally I will give you credit for actually doing what most are not and defend the ending on it's own merits and not engage in weird personal attacks

I mean, I don't agree with anything you said and I think it's absolutely pointless to try to argue with you about this, so I won't.

But I give you a lot of credit for thinking what you think and making your points in a clear, honest way without being a jerk-ass.

Nice work.

I found the ending lame and disappointing in ways more articulate people are scrambling to express for me.

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

Why wonder? There are 88 enlightening pages in this very thread.

Enjoy

I actually consider ME3 worse than BSG because the writing on the wall that BSG was going to end really badly and stupidly was pretty obvious.

like, for me, the wheels on BSG fell off right at the point when (I guess spoilers if you haven't watched BSG)
    Baltar suddenly realizes that out of the stated 12 Cylon models we've seen 7 and he asks "Who are the Final Five?"

and Caprica Six's response to him is "We don't talk about them."

That was the exact point where I realized "The writers don't know what they are doing and are making this shit up as they go with no real planning."

For BSG, that moment was in the beginning of the third season.

So I saw the horse-shit ending coming and was less disappointed by it.

ME3's ending is worse because I had no such "Well this is obviously going to go south" inklings until the absolute very last ten minutes or so of the game and then I was like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP_9zH9Q44o&feature=player_embedded

edited March 2012
    wally I will give you credit for actually doing what most are not and defend the ending on it's own merits and not engage in weird personal attacks

I mean, I don't agree with anything you said and I think it's absolutely pointless to try to argue with you about this, so I won't.

But I give you a lot of credit for thinking what you think and making your points in a clear, honest way without being a jerk-ass.

Nice work.
    Thanks!
    Yeah auto. The ending tots pulled a BSG. There's been pages and pages of it. Pages and pages of coherent, educated discussion. Your opinion is yours. As a statement defining the ending, that opinion is wrong.

I am fastreading through half of the old locked thread and this whole one, if I have enough time. Maybe I'm still to freshly done with it to feel disappointed. I'll see afterwards what I think.

On the other hand, now a Mass Effect MMO would be awesome for everyone
    Because MMOs never end-

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg

Nice work.
    Thanks!

I am fastreading through half of the old locked thread and this whole one, if I have enough time. Maybe I'm still to freshly done with it to feel disappointed. I'll see afterwards what I think.
    Because MMOs never end-

except
    You can't do a Mass Effect MMO, all the relays are destroyed, the universe is broken.

auto, a few pages back, Orik posted a pretty awesome essay

I'd link it, if I hadn't joined a multi game right after reading it and forgot to bookmark it

Nice work.
    Thanks!

Because MMOs never end-

except
    You can't do a Mass Effect MMO, all the relays are destroyed, the universe is broken.

Sure you can!
    You wouldn't play as shepard anyways. So, pic "random faction" character and place him anywhere in the timeline before the ending.
    Me1, 2, or 3.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular

To
    5) Brevity
    The ending was the whole sequence, beginning from
    London, to the citadel. I don't call that short. The universe is changed by your actions. Why does a technically "short" ending mean there are no vast repercussions or implications?

3) Lore Errors, Plot Holes
    * The Mass Relays.

Those guys built the mass relays. They probably know a thing more about them than most people in the ME universe. And in what way energy is released is pretty important. So, that energy wave is simply not a regular explosion, but something else. I mean, look at an engine. You have gallons of gasoline, they explode in the engine. Still you get movement, not destruction.

* The Normandy’s Escape
    That is more unclear and bugs me somewhat, too.
    Maybe they got back to the normandy after shepard was blasted to hell, so they could try something else, or bury the plans for the crucible somewhere else?
    [/spoiler]

Just wanted to tackle a couple of these things
    First of all yes, the final chapter is from London to the credits. That isn't the ending though. Do you call the ending to King Kong the entire sequence from him being brought back to New York, his rampage, and then death or do you call the ending the moment he dies and the final line is delivered? When we mention brevity we don't mean the time it took, we mean how much meaning is put into such a short moment. A long, drawn out ending that explains everything is just as bad as a short one that doesn't capture the scope of the universe you've poured more than a full day into.

A vast majority of fans don't necessarily want, or wanted from the start, for everything to be spelled out for them. A lot of us wanted a good finale to a series we've treasured for some years and to throw in a completely new factor, a whole plot point in at the last minute to give a quick, flawed, two minute speech about everything that's happening is lazy and so confusing that yes, now explanations and more exposition is needed. The fact that the ending was short isn't the fault we're all looking at, it's that it was short, introduced a whole new "species", an entire second shadow to the game we weren't clued in on at all, and then finished abruptly after it ordered us to make a "choice."

And in terms of the Mass Relays, yeah an engine does have several comparatively small, insignificant explosions going on. However exploding an engine still makes the damn thing blow up and cause a lot of damage. You can control explosions, shape them, direct them, but when the entire audience has been told before that blowing this one plot device up leads to a supernova, and then showing every single one rip at the seams and go to pieces then it is safe for us to assume the result is the same as before. If we had seen the Relays become deactivated, or maybe even go dim and then crumple apart, that's a whole different story.

If I showed you footage of a guy in his backyard blowing up a firework, and then show you the manufacturer blowing up the exact same model do you really think one has more control or either explosion has less impact than the other?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

An story sometimes leaves room for thought. I am not a fan of the notion that EVERYTHING needs to be spelt out or else it didn't happen.

That can work but when you literally explain nothing concept fails.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited March 2012
    Discussions about future in-universe technology
    so far advanced in future-universe that it seems like magic even to them is pretty moot. I was thinking more along the lines of showing a caveman a gasoline explosion, then showing you fill the stuff in a car. Do you think he could fathom it doing good?
    Edit: And the tech is countless times more advanced than we are compared to a caveman

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    auto, a few pages back, Orik posted a pretty awesome essay

I'd link it, if I hadn't joined a multi game right after reading it and forgot to bookmark it
    I'll see if I can find it, thank you.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg

Nice work.
    Thanks!

Because MMOs never end-

except

Sure you can!
    You wouldn't play as shepard anyways. So, pic "random faction" character and place him anywhere in the timeline before the ending.
    Me1, 2, or 3.

ME's timeline is not particularly dense, duder.

It's not Star Wars, where you can just pick any point before the game's events and just have it be more or less like the events of the first game.

I guess you could set it in the two year gap between 1 and 2, or do a prequel series to 1 entirely

in the like, 20 or 30 year span between discovery of the Mass Relays and ME1?

yeah, that's great

in the end, you still know how it ends

hah. that theory spamfilter posted, about
    the end sequence being indoctrination attempts, and only the destroy-ending meaning beating them is kinda neat. also explains edi living.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    I basically have zero interest in anything that utilizes the IP of Mass Effect now

like, I'm still playing the multiplayer because, as a game, the multiplayer is really fun and well designed and it's a blast to play with people

but I could give a shit less about new stories set in that universe.

• FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    jeez this thing must be a hum dinger

edited March 2012
    Personally FAQ

no real spoilers however better safe than sorry
    I feel the ending is clunky, the tone is not at all in line with the rest of the game, and there was a perfect moment to end it, but it kept on rolling in a direction I did not expect/did not want.

Gatsby on
    Well it's dumb, but personally I also find it really bland and generic, to the point where it dosn't stir enough energy in me even for hate.

FAQ wrote: »
    jeez this thing must be a hum dinger

I think everyone who has beaten the game can agree the ending is polarizing.

It is a very comprehensive ending that does STUFF.

As a result, people tend to feel very strongly about the stuff it does.

From my end, it's why I had no interest in watching the Caprica TV show

it was a BSG prequel

I know how BSG ended, I know how BSG played out

which means a prequel series to that, ultimately just leads into that shit.

So I didn't care to watch it.

ME3's ending has, retroactively, killed my interest in replaying ME1 or ME2 and killed any interest I have in side-stories or new adventures in that universe, like ME: Infiltrator

because I know how it inevitably ends, how I can't do anything to change that, and it makes all the rest of it feel pointless

Multiplayer is still fun though if I focus on the gameplay and guns and classes and ignore everything lore related

Yeah I have the same feeling, it was underwhelming.

I kind of feel bad after considering the idea of somebody like Sheen or FPJ going "Hey, that game I did went live. Let's google itOHMYGOD"

This discussion has been closed.