As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect 3: Welcome To Our Thread, Here Are Your Complimentary Tasers and Cyanide Pills

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    ending
    I kinda like the indoctrination interpretation but there's a few big problems with it.

First there's how Joker still crashlands even if you do it, which implies that it's not part of a hallucination or something

secondly and far more importantly, it's possible to finish the game and have Destroy be your only option. That's a pretty shitty indoctrination attempt.
    That ending also can have people alive who flat out shouldn't be, according to the Catalyst. And maybe even according to basic logic.

chiasaur11 on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Regarding the required military asset score for the "best" ending.
    It's not 5000. I know that's the number everyone is throwing around the internet, but that's wrong. I had less than 4500 effective (pretty sure it was 4200 and change) and I still got that ending.

I had 4050 and got it.

What kind of readiness % did you guys have

77%, 5500 total

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    ending
    I kinda like the indoctrination interpretation but there's a few big problems with it.

First there's how Joker still crashlands even if you do it, which implies that it's not part of a hallucination or something

secondly and far more importantly, it's possible to finish the game and have Destroy be your only option. That's a pretty shitty indoctrination attempt.

My take on the ending theory is
    That everything is physically happening, IE that Shepard says goodbye to Anderson, is lifted on the elevator, and brought to the area where she makes the choice. She actually sees Catalyst, but is heavily under the influence of indoctrination (which is why she doesn't argue with him). He offers the three choices, confident that Shep has invested too much in the Geth or at least in EDI to be willing to destroy her. He presents Synthesis - Indoctrination, or ascendance as a reaper (remember when Saren said he was the pinnacle of evolution, the perfect hybrid of man and machine? That's what the Reapers believe, and they're trying to get you to believe it). They present the second best choice as control - where you become the reapers yourself. Still good from their side of the issue. Destroy is the only risky one, but they can't stop you from getting there once you reach the place in the citadel that you're at, they can only essentially present arguments/indoctrination to try to get you to not take that choice (although they can also try to destroy the crucible while you're deciding. That did happen to me once in game). Then if you select destroy, you're thrown into the beam of the conduit as the Citadel is destroyed, and end up in London. The stuff with Joker crashing still happens, but he's within FTL travel so it's not that big of a deal.

Synthesis and Control also show you Joker crash landing, but in those cases it would be Catalyst communicating to you, through indoctrination, "see? You saved your crew! Aren't you an awesome hero?"
    except that, game mechanics wise, that is a really stupid ending. You only get the other two options if you have a high score. You always can destroy the citadel, and sometimes you can only destroy the citadel, which in this theory, is the only correct choice.

So the game would be punishing you by opening up worse options by you playing the game.

That is stupid.
    You can actually be forced into either just Destroy or just Control, depending on what you did with the base

PNk1Ml4.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I had something around 6400 and 100%, and chose
    destroy

Weaver wrote: »
    I had something around 6400 and 100%, and chose
    destroy

:^:

PNk1Ml4.png
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    ending

That ending also can have people alive who flat out shouldn't be, according to the Catalyst. And maybe even according to basic logic.
    Garrus being with me in the attack and then showing up on the planet is flat out impossible. Also, Shepard breathing in space is impossible though it's not known for sure if there was a protective glass barrier in that section.

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Squall wrote: »
    we ran into a bug over the weekend where there were a couple enemies left but we couldnt find them

since there was more than one enemy left the game wouldnt show where they were

we could hear then shouting commands at each other but couldnt pinpoint where it was coming from

right as we're about to disconnect and retry the match i look up and notice two enemies stuck in the rafters

bizarre

Yeah this happened to me on that reactor map

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Now taking bets on how many new threads we run through before discussion about the ending peters off!

50-to-1 odds say one thread!

[IMG][/img]
    fun thing on multi maps is tossing lift grenades or sentry turrets up into the spawn rooms

edited March 2012
    @chiasaur11 and @Heisenberg you might want to spoil the reference to that character

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    we ran into a bug over the weekend where there were a couple enemies left but we couldnt find them

we could hear then shouting commands at each other but couldnt pinpoint where it was coming from

right as we're about to disconnect and retry the match i look up and notice two enemies stuck in the rafters

bizarre

This is where you need a quarians engineer with rocket drone

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Also I am laughing right now at the "The final boss is
    Marauder Shields"

Silliness

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    ending

That everything is physically happening, IE that Shepard says goodbye to Anderson, is lifted on the elevator, and brought to the area where she makes the choice. She actually sees Catalyst, but is heavily under the influence of indoctrination (which is why she doesn't argue with him). He offers the three choices, confident that Shep has invested too much in the Geth or at least in EDI to be willing to destroy her. He presents Synthesis - Indoctrination, or ascendance as a reaper (remember when Saren said he was the pinnacle of evolution, the perfect hybrid of man and machine? That's what the Reapers believe, and they're trying to get you to believe it). They present the second best choice as control - where you become the reapers yourself. Still good from their side of the issue. Destroy is the only risky one, but they can't stop you from getting there once you reach the place in the citadel that you're at, they can only essentially present arguments/indoctrination to try to get you to not take that choice (although they can also try to destroy the crucible while you're deciding. That did happen to me once in game). Then if you select destroy, you're thrown into the beam of the conduit as the Citadel is destroyed, and end up in London. The stuff with Joker crashing still happens, but he's within FTL travel so it's not that big of a deal.

Synthesis and Control also show you Joker crash landing, but in those cases it would be Catalyst communicating to you, through indoctrination, "see? You saved your crew! Aren't you an awesome hero?"
    except that, game mechanics wise, that is a really stupid ending. You only get the other two options if you have a high score. You always can destroy the citadel, and sometimes you can only destroy the citadel, which in this theory, is the only correct choice.

So the game would be punishing you by opening up worse options by you playing the game.

That is stupid.
    Yeah it would make more sense if Synthesis and Control were the two standard endings and Destroy was the unlockable one, sort of like how Morinth works in ME2.

But it's not so the interpretation falls flat.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    ending

That is stupid.
    You can actually be forced into either just Destroy or just Control, depending on what you did with the base
    Yeah. This is true

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • HambrabaiHambrabai Registered User regular
    Ending Thingie
    This has been bugging me for a while, but at some point it was mentioned that the planet the Normandy plows into at the end of the game would be a familiar one. Is it bad that literally the only jungle planet with two moons is 2175 Aeia (The Idiot Planet). I'd honestly hope that isn't the case but it would be somewhat amusing and horrible that the Nomandy could crash on a planet where the food makes you into a mental midget within a few years.

• ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular

bizarre

yep the reactor was where it happened

sometimes it happens on that map with the big guns, too

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    think I'm gonna load up and see the third ending (I've only watched the left and the right ending's so far) then probably play through again

I've decided disliking the last 5 minutes isnt a good enough reason to stop me from going through and enjoying literally every other part of the game

2x39jD4.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    ending

That is stupid.
    right that's true, but the fact that what would be basically failing the game isn't the only default makes that theory nonsensical.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

bizarre

Enemies drop down from the rafters in Reactor, and every now and then they decide they'd rather just hang out there than run to the slaughter. Look around on the ceiling and you can usually find them.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    i think i've figured out the best way to do a failshep run of the suicide mission in 2

because just picking the wrong thing for everything is boring

instead, when the time comes

I'm gonna have my mom decide who to assign for everything

I'm really considering doing a similar play through for all 3 games with my own mother making all the decisions.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Once on the desert map I knocked a priority target guardian off the map and the group couldn't do anything to him so we ended up failing

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Hambrabai wrote: »
    Ending Thingie
    This has been bugging me for a while, but at some point it was mentioned that the planet the Normandy plows into at the end of the game would be a familiar one. Is it bad that literally the only jungle planet with two moons is 2175 Aeia (The Idiot Planet). I'd honestly hope that isn't the case but it would be somewhat amusing and horrible that the Nomandy could crash on a planet where the food makes you into a mental midget within a few years.

ending
    Presumably they crash onto a planet that's within reach of the Charon relay. IIRC, that planet was on the opposite end of the galaxy from Earth, out on the edges of the Terminus.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    ah yes, "momshep"

0BnD8l3.gif
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    ending stuff
    I really don't like that indoc theory

I mean, in a whole game defined by choices, the final decision has two booby trapped options that are hidden bad ends?

there's something to be said for the synthesis ending, I think it ties in well with a lot of the themes of the game

I hope bioware doesn't go with the indoc thing in response to backlash

the ending needs work, but not like that

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    ending stuff

I mean, in a whole game defined by choices, the final decision has two booby trapped options that are hidden bad ends?

there's something to be said for the synthesis ending, I think it ties in well with a lot of the themes of the game

bugboy the synthesis ending is the silliest ending

and not good silly

0BnD8l3.gif
  • royardroyard Registered User regular
    royard wrote: »
    this is some really compelling evidence for the something something ending theory
    Yeah. I'm almost sure that the indoc theory is correct now. But I'm really not sure about the delivery. I mean, they should have given the player a chance to talk to star child and slowly realize what is going on. Sure, letting people figure it out is rewarding if they can figure it out, but the clues are kinda vague.

The audience is not detective novel fans, but people who likes to shoot and enjoy a story at its face value.

There is zero chance this is correect based on how the ending is presented. The information the game gives you does not support it, and it is all supposition based on the player wanting something else.

You care to elaborate? Specifically, please watch the video embedded in the quote tree.

Irrefutable proof that the ME3 endings are visually similar. Good or bad is up to your interpretations and tastes. Visual similarity is not.
    2 minutes. No commentary. Spoiler obviously.
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    ah yes, "momshep"

It should be interesting.

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Once on the desert map I knocked a priority target guardian off the map and the group couldn't do anything to him so we ended up failing

I did that to one and just watched him fall

But then it died

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    ending

Joker crash-landing could be a hallucination.

Irrefutable proof that the ME3 endings are visually similar. Good or bad is up to your interpretations and tastes. Visual similarity is not.
    this is some really compelling evidence for the something something ending theory
    Yeah. I'm almost sure that the indoc theory is correct now. But I'm really not sure about the delivery. I mean, they should have given the player a chance to talk to star child and slowly realize what is going on. Sure, letting people figure it out is rewarding if they can figure it out, but the clues are kinda vague.

The audience is not detective novel fans, but people who likes to shoot and enjoy a story at its face value.

There is zero chance this is correect based on how the ending is presented. The information the game gives you does not support it, and it is all supposition based on the player wanting something else.

You care to elaborate? Specifically, please watch the video embedded in the quote tree.

ending
    Again

it's possible, by playing poorly, to only have the option to destroy the reapers

silver bullet, interpretation's dead

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I hate the grey and glass office type multiplayer map, geth pyro's can be a big hassle on it and it can be really hard to revive somebody because all the cover makes my character constantly crouch against/jump over things

2x39jD4.jpg
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    BugBoy wrote: »
    ending stuff

bugboy the synthesis ending is the silliest ending

and not good silly
    it works, though

everything with EDI and the Quarians/Geth and shepard's reincarnation was about synthetics vs organics

according to the catalyst, the reapers were a manifestation of this conflict too

the whole series is organics vs synthetics

and by fusing them, the problem is finally and truly at an end

no more conflict

edited March 2012
    Last night I was heavy meleeing baddies so hard that when they'd bounce off of the ground or a wall or whatever, part of their character model would stick to it, with the rest of the body flying off leaving a stretched "string" of their body that would either snap off or pull them back like a elastic band.

Weaver on
    ending

and what's more
    even if that is what happens, it still does a really poor job of getting that across and doesn't give you any particular sense of failure for picking one of the "indoctrination" endings or a greater sense of success for picking Destroy, other than Shepard living which I don't really see as all that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

It's a shitty job, no argument at all.

There are some really really great ideas for how the game could've ended out there
    Taken from here
    After you take out the Cerberus base, TIM says that all the Reapers have retreated to Earth.

There's a very easy way to defeat the Reapers, if they've collected themselves in one handy solar system.

Specifically, a solar system with a mass relay.

I wish there had been an option for Shepard to say, "Earth is a gutted hellhole and we have a chance to end this without relying on any Prothean space magic. Just drive the damn Crucible into the Charon mass relay."

Sol goes nova, and all the Reapers die. Earth is sacrificed to end the Reaper threat.

That would be the PERFECT Renegade ending. I'm just saying.
    That would've been pretty damn awesome

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    one of my favorite moments in the multiplayer was when I was a low-leveled drell adept

my biotic explosions weren't strong enough to clear out a health bar yet

i triggered on, which ripped off half the health of an assault trooper. He flew up, smashed into the ceiling, lost another quarter of his health, then bounced off the ceiling and slammed into the ground, which finally killed him

ending
    Again

it's possible, by playing poorly, to only have the option to destroy the reapers

silver bullet, interpretation's dead
    No. It's possible, by playing poorly
    to have no choice at all. THIS is the worst outcome

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    re, ending theory
    if the kid is harbinger trying to indoc you, why does he even tell you about the destroy ending

he could just tell shepard his only choice is synthesis or control and hope shep doesn't get the bright idea of using that gun

it just doesn't work

it seems like fans grasping at straws because the ending they wanted is the destroy all reapers, you're a hero, everything returns to normal ending

it was never going to happen that way

the reapers devastated the galaxy far too much

Peccavi wrote: »
    Regarding the required military asset score for the "best" ending.
    It's not 5000. I know that's the number everyone is throwing around the internet, but that's wrong. I had less than 4500 effective (pretty sure it was 4200 and change) and I still got that ending.

It's more complicated than that.
    It is 5000 if you didn't make TIM pull a Saren. If you use persuade on him every time, you only need 4000.

datapad app
    Javik hates twitter

This discussion has been closed.