As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

raping my childhood memories

• Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The biggest childhood raping was the creation of the new Star Wars movies.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The biggest childhood raping was the creation of the new Star Wars movies.

Eh, that wasn't my childhood. I'm only 25.

Delzhand on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's times like this I feel lucky.

Being a child of the 90s, not the 80s, most of my favorite shows have some decent writing to them. Plus, they're safe for another decade or so minimum, and I honestly doubt anyone's going to try a Beast Wars movie even then. Dinobot's sacrifice remains safe!!!

yalborap on
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    Novus wrote: »
    I found the Transformer movie didn't so much rape my childhood as make sweet sweet love to it. Sure they're exploiting my fond memories but it felt so right.

Also I was aghast when I bought the Thundercats DVD season 1; that show really was crap in a bag, they have all these weapons and they never use them, they just wave them around until the two pathetic bad guys run away. And Mumra; I used to be scared of Mumra...

GI Joe is something I wouldn’t mind seeing done right; the first movie was and still is awesome but their recent endeavors (sigma 6 for one) are horrendous.

What would a GI Joe movie even be though? Wouldn't it just be a pretty standard military movie with characters who had names from the show? I can't imagine they'd fuck it up too much, but I can't imagine it being all that great either.

Supposedly they are "updating" for "modern parallels".

So long as it has at least one scene where both sides blindly charge at each other, screaming battle cries, and firing lasers that never seem to hit any targets, I will be pleased.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

Being a child of the 90s, not the 80s, most of my favorite shows have some decent writing to them. Plus, they're safe for another decade or so minimum, and I honestly doubt anyone's going to try a Beast Wars movie even then. Dinobot's sacrifice remains safe!!!

Your day will come. Oh yes, your day will come.

ryuprecht on
    edited July 2007

Your day will come. Oh yes, your day will come.

And on that day, hopefully Michael Bay will be too goddamn old to be the director, and someone good will get it.

yalborap on
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

You sir are lucky. Batman: The Animated Series, Spider-Man, Gargoyles, and Powerpuff Girls are sure to age well. Hell, every now and then I pop in my bootlegged Fox X-Men DVD and watch a couple episodes. Great cartoons during the 90's.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The He-Man movie is a really good Jack Kirby's New Gods movie, it's just disguised.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Say what you will, I remain steadfast in my faith that DarkWing Duck is absolutely as good as, if not better, than I remember.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ohhhhh Captain Planet THE MOVIE, ohhh shit I just killed my heart!!!!

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Horus wrote: »

Will he be played by Turner?

Couscous on
    edited July 2007
    Say what you will, I remain steadfast in my faith that DarkWing Duck is absolutely as good as, if not better, than I remember.

I watched it quite recently.

It is, it is.

yalborap on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Will he be played by Turner?

Nope, Carson Kressley. Good casting really.

:P

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Seriously, ryuprecht, the new Transformers movie is fantastic. Most fun I've had at a movie since I midnighted 300.

See it not because of Michael Bay, but because Cullen is Prime.

LibrarianThorne on
    edited July 2007
    Seriously, ryuprecht, the new Transformers movie is fantastic. Most fun I've had at a movie since I midnighted 300.

Everyone I know who has said they liked it is not as much of a movie snob as me. I'm a HORRIBLE movie snob.

ryuprecht on
  • ThrustinJThrustinJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why generate all this over a movie you haven't even fucking seen.

Don't listen to critics or your friends. Go see it. Think about it. Decide for yourself.

ThrustinJ on
  • DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I liked the Transformers movie a lot. I loved the cartoon when I was a kid, but it's horrible to watch now. I'd say the rewatching the cartoon raped my childhood more than Michael Bay did.

Besides, I've liked several Michael Bay movies (Armageddon, The Rock, The Island). They're fun movies. But, yeah, I'm not a movie snob.

Dagrabbit on
  • DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Everyone I know who has said they liked it is not as much of a movie snob as me. I'm a HORRIBLE movie snob.

But yet you hold the Transformers cartoon up as if it were quality? Double standard much?

DesertBox on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »

But yet you hold the Transformers cartoon up as if it were quality? Double standard much?

Ah, The Island. Only Michael Bay would take a MST3K-level bad B-movie and make it into a summer blockbuster.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited July 2007

Not to be a stickler, but it's already been addressed that there's a nostalgia factor that blinds you when re-watching cartoons.

ryuprecht on
  • DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ah, The Island. Only Michael Bay would take a MST3K-level bad B-movie and make it into a summer blockbuster.

What was so bad about The Island? It had some neat action, good acting aside from Scarlett Johannsosnsoansonson, and a plot that wasn't any more ludicrous than most sci-fi. The only parts that bugged me where the blatant MS product placement (though the MSN Search booth that couldn't find anything was funny) and the ending felt a little off.

Dagrabbit on
    edited July 2007

I thought the movie was going well until the second half became ass.

My god Michael Bay is a horrid director. I've liked one of his movies. Just one. I can't keep giving the guy money when his movies are so shitty.

That being said, as much as I fear these rehashes, they can be done right. TMNT was pretty good for what it's worth.

ryuprecht on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2007
    Theres no need to fear, Underdog is here!

Unknown User on
  • Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Indeed. Yay for us who grew up in the 90's! You 80's guys can keep your shit. =P

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Not to be a stickler, but it's already been addressed that there's a nostalgia factor that blinds you when re-watching cartoons.

There shouldn't be. When I re-watched some Transformers the other day, (having found my old tape with some episodes featuring the dinobots) I found it to be fucking awful. No matter how much I loved it as a kid, I can still see that it's fucking terrible now.

Same thing has happened with every other old show I've watched. I caught some Full House a few years back, and that show was fucking terrible too, but I used to watch it every day.

In fact, the only show I watched growing up that has gotten better with age is Roseanne. My wife and I have been watching it lately, and this show is so much funnier than I remember it. That, and it seems to touch on a variety of subjects very intelligently, features a fucking great cast, and some very smart jokes.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Beavis and Butthead still bring a smile to my face. It doesn't evoke the same pain inducing gut laughter that it did when I was a teen, but it still makes me laugh. Could be worse, really. Try watching Duck Tales again; thats painfull.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    robothero wrote: »
    Theres no need to fear, Underdog is here!

That trailer made me cry.

And not with happiness.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Beavis and Butthead still bring a smile to my face. I doesn't evoke the same pain inducing gut laughter that it did when I was a teen, but it still makes me laugh. Could be worse, really. Try watching Duck Tales again; thats painfull.

Heh, yeah, I rented B&B Do America a while back, and it was still kinda funny, although a lot more idiotic than I remember.

I still shudder at the one time I foolishly rented some Robotech, remembering how much I liked it as a kid. That really did rape my childhood memories.

Vincent Grayson on
  • NovusNovus regular
    edited July 2007
    One show I loved as a kid and still like is Dragonball (the original); got the 1st season on DVD a couple of years ago and it's still awesome.

Dragonball Z is great too but I was in highschool when I started watching that.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • TylerXKJTylerXKJ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007

Kill yourself.

TylerXKJ on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    One of my biggest disappointments was with buying the Animaniacs DVDs. I remembered them as being utterly brilliant, and they were - at times. What I had apparently forgotten is that there were two writing/art teams for that show. When the good team was in charge, it was pretty much flawlessly wonderful. The timing and art were both impeccable, and the writing has yet to be equaled. When the bad team was in charge... well, it wasn't awful, but it ranged between good and mediocre. And the bad team apparently did many more episodes than the good team.

It's still worth buying the seasons for the third of the episodes that are fantastic, but that was a real let-down.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    The childhood memories said yes.

Seriously, nearly all of them were invented to push merchandise, there's nothing romantic about them.

Dynagrip on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ThrustinJ wrote: »

Don't listen to critics or your friends. Go see it. Think about it. Decide for yourself.

That attitude is the kind of thing that leads to these movies being made. As long as they can rope enough people into "deciding for themselves", the movie will be successful.

jothki on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yes. Damn those people who decide for themselves. Corporate whores, the lot of em! ......

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited July 2007
    jothki wrote: »

That attitude is the kind of thing that leads to these movies being made. As long as they can rope enough people into "deciding for themselves", the movie will be successful.

My bigger issues is time/money. It takes a good 3 1/2 hours for a trip to the movies, what with driving, getting seats, getting home, and it will run you $30 for two people if you get soda and a snack. It's really only worth it to see movies I'm pretty sure I will like.

Considering Michael Bay has made two of the worst movies I've ever seen, it's not even worth the risk. A rental, yes, but no more.

ryuprecht on
  • NovusNovus regular
    edited July 2007
    TylerXKJ wrote: »

Kill yourself.

So mean; why you gotta be so mean? :(

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    jothki wrote: »

My bigger issues is time/money. It takes a good 3 1/2 hours for a trip to the movies, what with driving, getting seats, getting home, and it will run you $30 for two people if you get soda and a snack. It's really only worth it to see movies I'm pretty sure I will like.

Considering Michael Bay has made two of the worst movies I've ever seen, it's not even worth the risk. A rental, yes, but no more.

Thats what I say, the thing about new movies is that Film studios know when they made a tank but they market it so good that they can recover expenses and make profit on opening weekend because "ITs the movie" That is why I am not much of a Movie person its costly, and I hate being lied about when I research the movie premise.

Also didnt someone in PA use to post Monthly Movie releases? I remember he gave out good reviews anyone know who I am talking about?

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yes. Damn those people who decide for themselves. Corporate whores, the lot of em! ......
    I agree with your saracasm completely. Why make an informed decision when you can ignore everyone and go and see a terrible movie just because it has a cool movie poster!

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Also didnt someone in PA use to post Monthly Movie releases? I remember he gave out good reviews anyone know who I am talking about?

Gim just posted the July one. If it isn't on the first D&D page it's probably on the second.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My childhood won't be raped until they make a shitty CGI Pinky and the Brain movie. Or a CGI modern-day Doug movie. The good thing about cartoons during the 90s is that a lot of them were already based on franchises- Batman/Superman, Men in Black, Pokemon, etc.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png