As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] Who's bringing their 3DS (or other handheld device) and what games?

• Options
    reverend_tobiasreverend_tobias Registered User regular
    I'll be around with me 3DS, probably spending most of the time clearing my Plaza queue out to finish the rest of these puzzles.

I don't have a PowerPak, though. My poor battery. D:

I have Star Fox 64 3DS, Pokemon SS, and KSSU. I'll have KI:U by PAX too. Might pick up MK7 if there are enough people playing.

• Options
    mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    Might pick up MK7 if there are enough people playing.

Oh, trust me there's definitely going to be enough people playing. I'd venture to say that Mario Kart is probably going to be the game people are playing most there. I would highly suggest you getting it. It is definitely one of the best games currently on the 3DS.

• Options
    tortured3tortured3 Registered User regular
    I'll have my iPad 2 and my cell with me for mobile gaming goodness.ive been playing Draw Something for multiplayer action.

grym & kvlt
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    I just bought a 3DS with Mariokart 7. I already have Pokemon Black, Tetris DS, Grand Theft Auto China Town and Geometry Wars Galaxies. I had thoughts about the Vita but I think I want to see where it goes in the next 6 months before I invest.

So I never really got into Pokemon before and I'm finally giving it a real shot. Had a talk with people about it that got me curious, maybe the next few commutes will get me addicted. Who knows!

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    tortured3 wrote: »
    I'll have my iPad 2 and my cell with me for mobile gaming goodness.ive been playing Draw Something for multiplayer action.

LOVE draw something. I have it on my droid and iPad. :)

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    chocojoshchocojosh Registered User regular
    Is anyone else currently playing through SMT: Devil Survivor 2?

Would love to see other people playing through the portable dungeon crawlers (Etrian Odyssey, The Dark Spire, SMT: Strange Journey, Class Of Heroes)!

• Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    chocojosh wrote: »
    Is anyone else currently playing through SMT: Devil Survivor 2?

Would love to see other people playing through the portable dungeon crawlers (Etrian Odyssey, The Dark Spire, SMT: Strange Journey, Class Of Heroes)!
    My copy of SMT:DS2 is due to arrive this Thursday (won't be able to pick it up until Saturday if it doesn't fit in my mailbox as I get home after the apartment office closes during the week.) I would bring EO2/3, but I don't think I'll be able to beat 2 and move onto 3 in time before PAX.

• Options
    GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    Can I make a request to the original poster?

Can the first post be organized a bit by what platforms people are bringing, then under that what games are being brought? This could help provide a sense of what might be a good idea to bring or purchase before hand. Perhaps even have a breakdown, such as what percentage of 3DS players are bringing X game.

As for me, I'm going to need to purchase a tote and then a carry case.

- Resident Evil: Revelations
    - Mario Kart 7
    - Dead or Alive: Dimensions
    - Star Fox 64

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • Options
    Gumbyx84Gumbyx84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'll be bringing my XL for my PAX Pokemon League team (I am a gym leader after all :) ), but I'll also be bringing my 3DS.

3DS games with Streetpass:
    DOA Dimensions
    Pokemon Rumble Blast
    Mario Kart 7
    Kid Icarus
    Ridge Racer 3D
    Super Mario 3D Land (Not bringing with but Streetpass is on)

Multiplayer games:
    Pokemon White (of course)
    Star Fox 3DS
    DOA Dimensions
    Pokemon Rumble Blast
    Mario Kart 7
    Kid Icarus

Random:
    Cave Story 3D

Gumbyx84 on
  • Options
    JuandeJuande Registered User regular
    Add another Mario Kart and RE: Revelations to the list. Hope to play with some of you!

• Options
    FruhmannFruhmann Registered User regular
    you don't NEED to have a game in the system to do streetpass do you?

i think nintendogs and RE are the only games i have that do it. just wondering.

• Options
    No, the game doesn't need to be in the system. Just have to fire it up once and turn on/setup whatever streetpass for that game might be.

• Options
    and do either games have some sort of tag cache that i'd have to clear every so often, like after X amount of swaps/tags/whatever they're called.

• Options
    I don't know about those two as I don't have them, but the other games I do have that use streetpass do have a cache you need to clear (seems to be between 10-20 as the max limit so far.)

• Options
    I don't have those two, but the other 3DS games I do have that have streetpass features do need to have their cache cleared before you can obtain new ones. The caches seem to be between 10-30 hit limits for games so far. So be prepared for a bit of opening and closing while you're in line. It's totally worth it though. I got over 200k figure coins for SSFIV, and 450+ MiiPlaza hits last year at Prime.

• Options
    yeah. prime blew up my 3ds. they really need to remove some of the restrictions or modify them. especially the walk counter.

• Options
    Ah, forgot about Kid Icarus coming out. I'll have that as well.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
  • Options
    benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    3DS here. Will have it in BYOC and walking around the con obviously.

Mario Kart 7
    Kid Icarus Uprising

PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Thinking about getting StarFox 64 and StreetFigher just for PAX. Actually, my fiancé has somewhat hijacked my 3DS... So she will be the one playing whenever I can steal it from her.

Edit: I already have Mario Kart 7 and Pokemon Black.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    TryfanTryfan Registered User regular
    I'll definitely have MK7 and Kid Icarus. I also have DQ9 and Four Swords.

PSN/XBL/Twitter: tryfan2k2 3DS: 0645-5860-0116
  • Options
    UnnDunnUnnDunn New York, NYRegistered User regular
    I guess I'll be one of like three people with a PS Vita?

• Options
    JWhiteJWhite Registered User regular
    I'm so excited to see so many people with Star Fox 64 3D! I did a launch tournament for that game when it came out at Nintendo World Store and that is all I've ever played of the multiplayer mode...and mine's was just to test out the multiplayer!

I hope to battle you all at the StreetPass Network Group panel and around the con at the Nintendo booth!

6943193407_855156285d_m.jpg
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    I'm definitely bringing my 3DS, but I doubt I'll be playing it as much as using streetpass to hopefully finish at least ONE of those damn mini-games.

• Options
    gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    DSlite multiplayer: Mario kart and goldeneye.

Vita Near:
    Uncharted
    Mutant Blob Attacks?

Vita Multiplayer:
    Unit 13
    MotostormRC
    ,psp Multiplayer games on Vita:
    Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
    Killzone: Liberation

I might pick up others if I see lots of people bringing some good multiplayer games.

• Options
    rubykavalierrubykavalier pink is the new bacon Registered User regular
    I have a DSLite... is it even worth bringing if everyone's going to be rocking 3DS games?

• Options
    A lot of people are still bringing regular DS games like Pokemon and Mario Kart DS. Plus, the 3DS is still backwards compatible, so plenty of people may just be playing original DS games on the 3DS.

List some games you have and see if anyone here has them. Even if they have a 3DS there is a chance they'll bring a game others have.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
  • Options
    XomasXomas Dork Windsor, CORegistered User regular
    gonexall wrote: »
    DSlite multiplayer: Mario kart and goldeneye.

Vita Near:
    Uncharted
    Mutant Blob Attacks?

Vita Multiplayer:
    Unit 13
    MotostormRC
    ,psp Multiplayer games on Vita:
    Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
    Killzone: Liberation

I might pick up others if I see lots of people bringing some good multiplayer games.

Holy cow! I won't be the only person with a Vita at PAX!
    Actually, I am kind of looking forward to seeing how many people play near by with Near while in Boston. Living in a small town area, I still find around 150 units within 6 miles and at least 20 people within my town at any given time.

Bringing with (at least):
    Uncharted
    Rayman Origins
    Super Stardust Delta
    Little Deviants
    Mod Nation Racers
    Escape Plan
    Motostorm RC

And I am thinking about bringing the AR cards with me, but might not bring them to the show.

I will also have my DS and PSP with me for my siblings with a handful of games.

• Options
    EQVEQV Spaceteam Champ 2013 Registered User regular
    All I have is my old Game Boy Color with various Pokémons (Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver). I'll still be bringing it. If any of you find me and have a link cable, I'm certainly down to play...

TOURNAMENT CHAMPION - SPACETEAM, PAX EAST 2013
    Team Yellow (S) 2013 - The Ampharos Association
    Pokécrawl Episode 4

Team Blue (G) 2012 - The Fightin' Totodiles
    Pokécrawl Episode 3

PAX East 2012 - Rookie - Saturday, April 7
    PAX East 2013 - Twice as Nice - March 22-24
  • Options
    ashanyaoashanyao ASHANYAO EAST COASTRegistered User new member
    I have a DSLite... is it even worth bringing if everyone's going to be rocking 3DS games?

I will have my DSLite too so you won't be alone! Right now I'm not sure what games I'm going to bring. Probably go old school and bring my Sonic series and FF6.

• Options
    grayfawkesgrayfawkes Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I bought Mario Kart 7 today just for PAX.

grayfawkes on
    PAX East 2015:
    3 Single Day Passes [x]
    Hotel [x]
    Flights [x]
    Packed []
    Excitement[x]
    ————————————
    PAX East 12'
    PAX East 13'
    PAX East 14'
    PAX East 15'
  • Options
    ErickaJoErickaJo MassachusettsRegistered User regular

I brought a power strip last year. You'd be surprised at how many people ask to plug into it. It's a big hit in the handheld lounge.

What a great way to meet people xD

• Options
    repeterepete Registered User regular
    im going to walk into the handheld lounge and play my virtual boy

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Definitely spreading Kid Icarus GemAIDs around at PAX. Not sure if I want to bring White or Mario 3D with me, though, since I won't have much time for Pokemon battles since I'll only be there on Saturday and the Street Pass bonuses in Mario are pretty negligible.

That Nyko battery is compatible with the standard 3DS charge cable, right? Thinking about picking one up so my 3DS will last all day.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    FearlessTeacherFearlessTeacher Registered User regular
    3ds with mario cart 7, star fox, and pokemon black, ss & hg.

• Options
    mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    So I got a 6 hour bus ride ahead of me from Philly to Boston. I'm looking to pick up a new 3DS game to keep me entertained on the way there. I already have Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land and played through them. I was thinking about getting either Resident Evil Revelations or the new Kid Icarus game. Anyone have any suggestions between the two or any other 3DS games that are good for occupying time?

• Options
    MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    Tales of the Abyss + Kid Icarus: Uprising.... so... so much to do!!!

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • Options
    mgriff3456 wrote: »
    So I got a 6 hour bus ride ahead of me from Philly to Boston. I'm looking to pick up a new 3DS game to keep me entertained on the way there. I already have Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land and played through them. I was thinking about getting either Resident Evil Revelations or the new Kid Icarus game. Anyone have any suggestions between the two or any other 3DS games that are good for occupying time?

Philly area represent, yo homey dawg dude yo.

I love Kid Icarus, buuuuuuut it's got some funky controls for half of the gameplay and thus I can't recommend it right off the bat. See if you can borrow a friend's copy or play a few levels on and off during the weekend before making any judgments. While I'm not a fan of the controls, I absolutely love the game. Other people...not so much.

Resident Evil Revelations isn't as good as Resident Evil 4, but it is better than Resident Evil 5 (that is, if you actually LIKED the old style of Resident Evil games). It controls pretty decently without the Circle Pad Pro, though that adds some strafing capability. Some people find that device comfortable, others find it awkward. I'd need to try it myself first.

RE Revelations is really fun, though. I played through it twice now, once on normal and once on hard, and have spent some time in the RAID mode. It has co-op capability as well for RAID, so you can have quick drop-in-and-play matches at PAX East.

So I'd have to recommend RE: Revelations as being closer to a "sure thing" in terms of game quality. Dead or Alive: Dimensions is also fun, and unlike the console counter-parts isn't built to punish you if you're new to the franchise.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
  • Options
    repete wrote: »
    im going to walk into the handheld lounge and play my virtual boy

Keith Apicary? Is that you?

• Options
    Definitely spreading Kid Icarus GemAIDs around at PAX. Not sure if I want to bring White or Mario 3D with me, though, since I won't have much time for Pokemon battles since I'll only be there on Saturday and the Street Pass bonuses in Mario are pretty negligible.

That Nyko battery is compatible with the standard 3DS charge cable, right? Thinking about picking one up so my 3DS will last all day.

Yes it is. It's effectively a battery replacement. It also makes Kid Icarus a little easier to play because it makes the 3DS a little thicker.

• Options
    King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    GrimRupert wrote: »
    mgriff3456 wrote: »

Philly area represent, yo homey dawg dude yo.

I love Kid Icarus, buuuuuuut it's got some funky controls for half of the gameplay and thus I can't recommend it right off the bat. See if you can borrow a friend's copy or play a few levels on and off during the weekend before making any judgments. While I'm not a fan of the controls, I absolutely love the game. Other people...not so much.

Resident Evil Revelations isn't as good as Resident Evil 4, but it is better than Resident Evil 5 (that is, if you actually LIKED the old style of Resident Evil games). It controls pretty decently without the Circle Pad Pro, though that adds some strafing capability. Some people find that device comfortable, others find it awkward. I'd need to try it myself first.

RE Revelations is really fun, though. I played through it twice now, once on normal and once on hard, and have spent some time in the RAID mode. It has co-op capability as well for RAID, so you can have quick drop-in-and-play matches at PAX East.

So I'd have to recommend RE: Revelations as being closer to a "sure thing" in terms of game quality. Dead or Alive: Dimensions is also fun, and unlike the console counter-parts isn't built to punish you if you're new to the franchise.

Kid Icarus takes some getting used to, but it's awesome and totally worth it. It helps if you go into the control settings and speed up the reticule. Once I figured this out, it got a lot easier to play. Multiplayer is a blast, too.

Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099