As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    are there any AMC theaters in Oregon at all, actually? I don't recall ever seeing a theater that wasn't Regal in this state.

Not that I know of. Fuck this gay state.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    not Oregon's fault that other people are jerks

still better than California

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    This is true

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    http://m.kotaku.com/5893258/finally-the-amazing-spider+man-game-swings-back-to-the-gorgeous-open+world-action-youve-been-waiting-for/gallery/

They gotta make a Spider-Man cycle ala Sonic cause this game is kinda looking good.

Ripping off Batman AA and AC is the best thing they can do, combat wise.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I just realized this, but has anyone been watching the DC Nation block? Are any of the little animated shorts worthwhile?

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I just realized this, but has anyone been watching the DC Nation block? Are any of the little animated shorts worthwhile?

I caught it the last two weeks. They had a Plastic Man one that was pretty good. Titans too. I think they're going to be hit or miss though.

EDIT: Plastic man short

Arryn on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    http://m.kotaku.com/5893258/finally-the-amazing-spider+man-game-swings-back-to-the-gorgeous-open+world-action-youve-been-waiting-for/gallery/

They gotta make a Spider-Man cycle ala Sonic cause this game is kinda looking good.

That Lizard looks great

If only the one in the movie looked that cool

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    It's the Iguana, not the Lizard

Totally different!

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Furu wrote: »
    It's the Iguana, not the Lizard

Totally different!

I stand by what I said!

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular

This is why Lauren Faust (executive producer of that and My Little Pony) is the best.

huntresssig.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    (*) (*) (*) (*) (*)

You makin' fun of me!

huntresssig.jpg
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »

This is why Lauren Faust (executive producer of that and My Little Pony) is the best.

Supergirl has good birthing hips.

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
    I lose track of who posts videos because of all of the javascript/flash-blocking extensions I run.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Wishpig that is by far the creepiest thing I have read this month

CYpGAPn.png
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Wishpig that is by far the creepiest thing I have read this year

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Wishpig that is by far the creepiest thing I have read this month

Then you don't want to hear about the creepy fandom Raven has from the Teen Titan animated series.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I don't get Cartoon Network, so I'm not exactly sure what DC Nation is. Is it just a bunch of clips that get played between Young Justice and Green Lantern?

Also, how is Green Lantern?

I don't get Cartoon Network, so I'm not exactly sure what DC Nation is. Is it just a bunch of clips that get played between Young Justice and Green Lantern?

That's it.

It's okay. Unfortunately it's a step down from the Timm-verse in quality.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular

That's it.

There have only been two episodes so far!

And it's surprisingly star warsy. Hal is Han Solo, Kilowog is some weird mix of Lando, Obi Wan, and Chewbacca all smashed together, Attrocitus is Vader, the weird planet-ship the Reds have is the Death Star, Aya is Edi from Mass Effect, and... uhh

I'm sure more parallels will come forward soon. Honestly, I kind of like that they shifted the tone, because it feels much more science fiction-y than the GL books have felt in the last few years. That's a bonus in two ways, because not only do I dig the bigger sci-fi focus, but I also dig the refreshing amount of difference from the books.

edited March 2012
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

That's it.

There have only been two episodes so far!

That's no excuse. Young Justice was able to keep that quality from the pilot. It's make the GL cartoon look pathetic.
    And it's surprisingly star warsy. Hal is Han Solo, Kilowog is some weird mix of Lando, Obi Wan, and Chewbacca all smashed together, Attrocitus is Vader, the weird planet-ship the Reds have is the Death Star, Aya is Edi from Mass Effect, and... uhh

I'm sure more parallels will come forward soon. Honestly, I kind of like that they shifted the tone, because it feels much more science fiction-y than the GL books have felt in the last few years. That's a bonus in two ways, because not only do I dig the bigger sci-fi focus, but I also dig the refreshing amount of difference from the books.

Over the past few years the comics have focused on the "space cop" aspect. Hal's supporting cast on Earth hasn't been seen in years, excluding carol since she's Star Sapphire. It makes sense to tap into the franchise's similarities with Star Wars.

Harry Dresden on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Man, Young justice has been getting better constantly but it is still not close to being that good.

Quire.jpg
    Man, Young justice has been getting better constantly but it is still not close to being that good.

Young Justice has been excellent IMO. Definitely worthy enough to be the Timm-verse's successor.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    The show that gave Robin his awesome catchphrase of welmed?

Quire.jpg

What's wrong with that? It gives Robin another personality quirk. It's better then making him an almost cipher like with the Teen Titans cartoon.

You mean whelmed?

huntresssig.jpg
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    My problem with YJ is that they really don't even try and get the characters right. Wally was never some weird combo of Impulse and Beast Boy (in personality), even when he was a kid. Dr. Fate comes off as some sort of pseudo-villain d-bag.

The only characters that come off feeling close to how they should, are Batman and Captain Marvel.

That said, I still find it pretty enjoyable. The animation and costume designs are fantastic.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I don't mind if they change around the characters to fit the team dynamic and the show

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »

That Lizard looks great

If only the one in the movie looked that cool

movie lizard doesn't look like that?

then what does he look like?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    AxDHu.jpg
    concept art of the Lizard

multiple toys for the movie's toyline look like this, so it's real and up to date

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    ooof, thats awful

Well, it's nice that they're thinking of the environment and reusing the makeup effects from "Enemy Mine".

if he was wearing a lab coat, he'd look just like Ditko drew him

2107109-lizard_prep.jpg

Which

isn't that great

I much prefer a Lizard that actually looks like a lizard/dinosaurman with a proper snout and whatnot

CYpGAPn.png
    I think with a more human face we'll get a more expressive performance. without a human face, the pathos of the character would probably get lost onscreen.

I thought there was plenty of pathos and character from the raptors in Jurassic Park.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    He looks like a goomba from the Mario Brothers movie

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    I think with a more human face we'll get a more expressive performance. without a human face, the pathos of the character would probably get lost onscreen.
    I really doubt he is going to be brimming with pathos as is

he looks super goofy and not intimidating

him being naked is fine if he is properly bestial since it implies he is just a wild goddamn animal

but he still has a pretty human face and other features so it just looks really silly and awkward

CYpGAPn.png
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The new trailer for Ultimate Spiderman shows Fury giving him a motorcycle that shoots webbing, along with the iron spider suit that behaves more like a regular Iron Man suit than one that augments Spidey's powers.

I mean, I know this show is not geared to adults or anything, but man, they're not even trying to hide the fact that one of their goal is to sell as many toys as possible.

I know I'm probably being too negative on the show, but they sort of brought it on themselves by choosing that title. If it was just a new Spider Man cartoon, or hell, call it the New Adventures of Spiderman and his Amazing Friends or something, and it would be an easier pill to swallow.

In other cartoon news, a trailer for Superman vs. Elite is out;

http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/749050/superman-vs-the-elite-trailer.jhtml#id=1681043

The style is really, really cartoony. Curious if that'll jive with the subject material.

noir_blood on
This discussion has been closed.