As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There's no job thread? Now there is!

JoeUserJoeUser Forum SantaRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in Social Entropy++
Hello SE++,

Many of us have jobs or are looking for jobs and like to talk about them! How is everyone's day going?

Hi five to @Keith for finding a job, and we all want to hear from @DrZiplock!

JoeUser on

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    whoa Keith has a job?
    grats Keith

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to whatever opportunities that may come along if my application for voluntary redundancy is accepted.

I don't really know what to do!

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I'm looking for a new one of these!

Polished up my resume and slapped it on dice.com. Got a call from a recruiter a couple hours later. Still need to call her back.

My resume shows that I'm currently employed. Wish they would not call me when I'm at work.

but I guess they probably don't want to be working in the evening.

• zen-zen- Registered User regular
    I have a call center job lined up in april

really need to start working on my portfolio

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to whatever opportunities that may come along if my application for voluntary redundancy is accepted.

I don't really know what to do!

What do they give you for that?

• NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    I just got a 12.5% raise.

Feels good man.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    need that jerb

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i kind of super need a job

Like, half hour ago I got that.

rotate.jpg

rotate.jpg

rotate.jpg
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Sweeeeeeeeeet Nogs!

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    oh thank god i was looking for this and i felt lost without it

so that interview i thought i messed up, hey, well, guess not, gonna go in for a day of interview next week

so i gotta prepare for that while last minute preparing for japan trip which i put off

!!! how should i prepare

also, what do you wear to interview at a startup-y type place where, when i visited the office, everyone was wearing hoodies and stuff

poo
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    I think Nogs got it like a half hour ago

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Nogs is stuck in a money causality loop!

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    also, what do you wear to interview at a startup-y type place where, when i visited the office, everyone was wearing hoodies and stuff

At my current job there are people that show up in pajamas.

I still suited it for the interview.

they say on their website section about interviewing not to wear a suit or tie and wear something comfortable

i guess when i interviewed at google once i just wore pants and a button up
    when i interviewed at microsoft the guy interviewing me wore jeans

poo
    Nogs wrote:

Feels good man.

dang son

i wish they gave me a raise like that

poo
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    they say on their website section about interviewing not to wear a suit or tie and wear something comfortable

i guess when i interviewed at google once i just wore pants and a button up
    when i interviewed at microsoft the guy interviewing me wore jeans

At a civil service job one of the guys interviewing me was wearing shorts. Honest to god, shorts

And explained to me at length about the company dress code

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Looks like I'm off to sunny Wales next week for an interview. Hurray? And a place I went for an interview back in November said me an email saying that they'd not forgetting about me and I could hear something soon.

Also, the other place have extended their stalling until Monday, which is a sure sign of them waiting on somebody else to accept/reject in my paranoid vision.

Compared to how it was, this last month has been a flurry of job activity. And that is a good thing. Hopefully I'll find one before I can no longer afford the trains to these interviews.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    i probably wore shorts in public (not in the gym / exercising) maybe ~5 days in the last year

poo
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »

Feels good man.

:^:

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I fucking love my job

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm still working shitty part-time at shitty Best Buy but I did have an interview for a bank teller position today with US Bank that seems promising.

I need to start making more money.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I am half-considering asking my second job if they'd be willing to hire me full-time.

I just got hired at my day job and I like working here but the pay's not great (granted it's not great at my other job either - but it's a little better) and I can't imagine ever working full-time here.

But then again I probably make more money working both jobs, given that if I just had the one I'd be at 37.5 hours a week, compared to the 40-44 total I tend to work now.

It would be nice to have only one shift though.

i realized my cash flow recently has been negative-ish

that's no good

i was saving decently before

poo
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Also, I spoke to the best German guy yesterday. When I asked how he was doing he gave a good five minutes of description of the mountains he could see, with a report on the local skiing, his thoughts on whether he could actually see into Slovenia from where he was sat and then a general weather breakdown within the valley over the last few days. It was great.

Sadly, the rest of the half hour was about bipolar junction transistors.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    So nice he said it thrice.

And I have returned from the lands where geek is king and hoooooly shit, you guys, I want this so so so bad. Put aside who and what the company is and I'd still be salivating at this one.

Frankly, I think the interview went well. The CEO was one of the best interviewers I've ever come across, at least from a questions asked perspective. I was there for about 3 hours, met with all manner of people and got a pretty good vibe from the place. It'll now be a matter of who else they're interviewing and if those people are better than I am.

References submitted
    Official paperwork application submitted
    Background check approval submitted

Followed up with everyone I interviewed with, save the CEO because I can't find his damn email and didn't get it when I was there.

Asked a few more questions, exchanged emails with the VP of marketing and man...I've done all that I can for this one. I'm not sure there is more I can give.

Also...saw some stuff I'm not allowed to talk about that is pretty damn awesome.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Best of luck, DrZ! If you get the job that would be awesome for many reasons.

I'm currently thinking I'll probably work both of these jobs for as long as I can stand. I've actually been able to tolerate it much more lately - guess I have therapy to thank for that!

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I have a job

I like my job

But I still gotta sell some handmade stuff cuz I wanna be able to buy stuff

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I had an interview last week for a position that starts next week and I haven't heard from them and they sounded totally ready to hire me at the end of the interview. Jerks.

(I have called them since my interview and they said they were still deciding).

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Best of luck with everything, Dr. Z!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Fingers crossed Zip!

Oh man DrZ I am hoping SOOOOO hard that you get this job! If you do, btw, I totally promise to buy things off their website.

It's true. @Janson just throws money around like it ain't no thing.

I'll be working until I die, because I'll never be able to afford to retire ;)

She only spends money on awesome stuff though

Exactly

Clothes? Man, I can still wear these three-year-old jeans that have probably been in the wash about 150 times

Car? It's ten years old and in serious need of bodywork, but it still drives, damnit

Furniture? I <3 IKEA chipboard!

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Sheri did that baby blanket get snapped up yet?

• ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    A lot of my friends in the meteorological community are having serious trouble finding jobs right now, especially with the NWS getting downsized. This has me putting a hold on finishing my degree and looking to a possible second field in skilled labor. WIND ENERGY! Right now their is extremely high demand for skilled labor in the wind energy sector. In the state of Oklahoma I can go get my training and licenses to become a level I wind energy technician and the state will pay for almost 90% of my tuition. The average starting wages for a wind energy tech is 20 dollars per hour and there is such a severe need for this form of skilled laborer that you are guaranteed a position out of school and will have great job security since wind energy is only continuing to grow. I will be going to El Reno, OK later this week to visit one of the schools and see what I think.

This discussion has been closed.