As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Street Fighter X Tekken: Game out now. 12 characters DLC incoming. Day 1 patching.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Supposedly the Colors will be free basically as a "Hey we got this store over here... Just saying" bait.

Ah, I had just assumed they were charging for them as there's a link on the store to a colors section with nothing in it right now.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    ahh, that's fine then

just need more colors

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • ghost whistlerghost whistler explodicator HereRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    Mhm, 12 characters sure is an entire game's worth of content.

Even if Capcom released all the 'on-disc DLC' for free now, people would still complain. It's impressive, actually.
    Sorry, what is impressive? Your post is just confused. Are you seriously suggesting that if capcom fixed all the shit they caused people would still complain about it? Is that a joke or are you just stupid?
    Yes. People would claim that the only reason Capcom gave the DLC out for free was because they were trying to save face, and that deep down, Capcom wanted to bleed their customers dry because Capcom hates their fanbase.

I mean, that's pretty much the conclusion everyone has jumped to already, and at this point people (at least, the vocal minority of idiots) will froth at the mouth and whine about anything Capcom does going forward.
    And they would be right.

The only reason capcom would release the DLC early, now (if this were to happen), is simply to save face. They obviously didn't intend for this degree of opprobium. Regardless of your hyperbole, the reason for locking this content is 'to bleed their customers dry'. The whole point of locking this content is to get more money from people that have paid for the disc which includes all this content.

No matter how you try and spin it, capcom's actions have done themselves no favours and have shown a rather grubby attitude toward paying customers. This isn't content that people don't want to pay for - it's cntent they already have but can't access that was already created as part of the overall project. There's no positive side to this at all; the creators don't benefit the players don't benefit, only the publisher who is neither a creator nor a paying customer.

This is hilarious!

Capcom publish a game designed to be complex and thus for the pro players but doesn't bother to actually invite any of these people to test their design. Not five minutes later a bunch of broken shit like this is found.

B:L wrote: »
    Antihippy, last I heard they had a patch in the works but it's been delayed for unspecified reasons.
    Because it doesn't work and they can't as yet patch the online.

Sivraj wrote: »
    The whole "DLC on the Disc" thing aside for a moment, $1 per costume is actually pretty reasonable.

I'd imagine there will be a bulk discount for those who really do want all 40ish costumes.
    I have no problem with paying a buck to dlc a costume, costumes are purely cosmetic, unlike characters. It's still mealy mouthed, but it doesn't affect the gameplay or add/detract. But you can't pay a buck on the xbox, so they will release them as packs that cost several hundred points. Ultimately this ism't a good deal.

This game is totally unbalanced.

Crossups need to be taken out as well.

• AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Naw.

Without crossups in fighting games there would be less mixup = boring.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm at a loss for how to do big damage with Gief. It seems like the best I can do is hit some s.mp links and go into s.lk EX Green Hand, but that does really crappy damage for 1 bar (360 for 1 meter sucks). Anyone know what his high damage stuff is? B:L are you rocking the Gief?

Walt on
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to just not see the posts of one dude?

Cause fuck GW

What is this I don't even...

J3qcnBP.png
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Naw.

Without crossups in fighting games there would be less mixup = boring.
    the game relies too much on exploitative mechanics. IN this game it's much worse. All that ever happens is this nonsense. Well, that and the tedious fireball/dragon punch nonsense that is STILL in the game.

edited March 2012
    fRAWRst wrote: »

Cause fuck GW

You don't even what? Have a fucking clue? Have an answer? A brain in your fucking head? Why not try ENGAGING with what I say instead of sniping like a cunt from the sidelines, you prick.

ghost whistler on
    edited March 2012
    Oh right, you're just trolling. I'm not gonna get in a shouting match with someone who thinks crossups in fighting games are unbalanced.

In other news, I'm slowly learning Kings antiairs. His counters work really well against sloppy jumpins but they are easily baited and punished, so I've been relying alot on close standing MP and his 2 kick command dash (jaguar step?) to go through things. The step seems totally invincible to highs, but has startup where it isnt and timing is tight. Landing the peoples elbow is so satisfying though.

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    What is there to engage? You haven't actually given a reason as to why the game is unbalanced or why cross ups suck.

/edit: jaguar step is fully invincible from 7-27 frames (goes through pretty much anything with good timing), and if you input one of the step follow ups it starts coming out at frame 28

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    Oh right, you're just trolling. I'm not gonna get in a shouting match with someone who thinks crossups in fighting games are unbalanced.

In other news, I'm slowly learning Kings antiairs. His counters work really well against sloppy jumpins but they are easily baited and punished, so I've been relying alot on close standing MP and his 2 kick command dash (jaguar step?) to go through things. The step seems totally invincible to highs, but has startup where it isnt and timing is tight. Landing the peoples elbow is so satisfying though.
    Of course they are unbalanced! It's exploiting the system. You are jumping at an angle that forces the opponent to be unable to block because of the way it animates. The game is full of this nonsense all of which is defended by a stagnant community that is too frightened to allow a game to evolve. Consequenlty it's dragon punches, fireballs, and nonsense like this. Even that plinking stuff is the same: you are using an exploit in the mechanics, a glitch or some such, to game an advantage instead of playing it the way it's intended. You are meant to hit the links precisely, button after button. If even pro players can't do that then what the hell are capcom doing keeping this crap in the game?

wait... you think crossups are unblockable?

J3qcnBP.png
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    You can block the other way.

You're not really unable to block.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Cross-ups aren't even close to being unblockable, and I don't even think this game has SF4 style 'unblockables' (jump in hits on one side, character lands on the other). And those are still manageable because they only happen in certain (recognizable) situations.

If you don't like the game, that's fine. Return it or something. But you really don't need to come into this thread and complain about how the game is terrible because you are bad at it.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    edited March 2012
    Hey, GW. I sent a friend request to your strangeotron GT on xbl. Maybe we can play some matches and I can teach you some stuff about this game so it isnt so frustrating for you (and subsequently for us reading your posts).

Hit me up.

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    anyone want to do up some AM ps3 fights?

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Is there a healthy SFxT PA PS3 community? WHen I do eventually pick this up, I'm thinking I'll go PS3 because of the superior D-pad. I imagine at some point I'd build up enough courage to take it online and let you guys beat me up.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    I'll probably get the PS3 version when the price drops, just hit us up then.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    After watching gootecks and Mike Ross play this, I have to say it looks a lot more fun than I was expecting. Although to be fair they could probably make anything look fun.

Probably pick this up for pc at some point.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular

Cause fuck GW

Click his name to go to his profile, then hit Ignore on the top right. I did it a few pages ago and the thread's been much nicer to read. :)

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Chorazin wrote: »

Cause fuck GW

Click his name to go to his profile, then hit Ignore on the top right. I did it a few pages ago and the thread's been much nicer to read. :)

Ahh! Thank you!

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular

Cause fuck GW

Thanks! Couldn't figure out how to do it since the forums switch.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Sweet! Thanks Chorazin!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Of course they are unbalanced! It's exploiting the system. You are jumping at an angle that forces the opponent to be unable to block because of the way it animates. The game is full of this nonsense all of which is defended by a stagnant community that is too frightened to allow a game to evolve. Consequenlty it's dragon punches, fireballs, and nonsense like this. Even that plinking stuff is the same: you are using an exploit in the mechanics, a glitch or some such, to game an advantage instead of playing it the way it's intended. You are meant to hit the links precisely, button after button. If even pro players can't do that then what the hell are capcom doing keeping this crap in the game?
    You can block crossups, just block the other way (ie: hold forward). If you know the spacing where they cross up, it's not hard to block at all. Really one of the easier things to react to. Blocking them is hard if you are knocked down because they can get an ambiguous setup but that's all part of the advantage of scoring a knockdown. They are absolutely intended because they add texture and depth to the game of controlling space, which is what Street Fighter is all about.

What do you mean by dragon punch/fireball nonsense? Do you need help developing a counter strategy? It's largely about spacing. At some spacings you have enough time to react to fireballs and punish them before they recover, either with a jump in or a special that's immune to fireballs and sometimes even normals that go under fireballs. At other spacings you will get dragon punched if you try to jump in, but you can block them and take a small bit of chip damage or neutral jump. Sometimes they can fake a fireball with a jab to get you to twitch jump in and punish you, et cetera. There's a lot going on with even the stalest fireball game. What part of it in particular is giving you trouble, or is it just all of it?

I'm trying to imagine what a fighting game would be like without crossups. But I can't do it.

steam_sig.png
    Shimshai wrote: »
    I'm trying to imagine what a fighting game would be like without crossups. But I can't do it.

I don't have a very hard time imagining Mortal Kombat, personally.

Cause fuck GW

Ahh! Thank you!
    Thanks! Couldn't figure out how to do it since the forums switch.
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Sweet! Thanks Chorazin!

No problem guys! Glad to help.

Played 2 players local VS net opponents at my friend's place last night, that was SO MUCH FUN. There was an amazing Tekken player that ran the room, watching him decimate opponents was like watching a work of art.

This game is seriously approching SSFIV levels of fun for me!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Who are you running with so far, Chorazin?

XBL: Flex MythoMass
    Walt wrote: »

Never really played MK myself, now I don't really want to.

steam_sig.png

Never really played MK myself, now I don't really want to.

That is a pretty good decision.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular

Or any 3d fighting game.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream

Right now I'm running Rolento x Guile, I've come to the conclusion that my SSFIV main Balrog just isn't up to snuff in this one.

I really want to learn some Tekken dudes but I just don't have the time to devote to their systems and weird combo strings. :(

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin

Right now I'm running Rolento x Guile, I've come to the conclusion that my SSFIV main Balrog just isn't up to snuff in this one.

I really want to learn some Tekken dudes but I just don't have the time to devote to their systems and weird combo strings. :(

That is the lamest team I've heard of so far. Well done!

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm liking Asuka because her Tekken combos can lead to safe tags or combos. No worrying about memorizing link timings! She and Chun/Julia are how I'm rolling for now. Gotta start mixing in new characters as well.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    I'm not defending his somewhat amusing over-reaction, but in ghost whistler's defense, not understanding why/how cross-ups work can be very frustrating.

I didn't get deep into fighting games until HD Remix and had no idea what a cross-up was. I was getting absolutely destroyed online with cross-ups but didn't understand why I couldn't block. For someone not familiar with fighting games, cross-ups are a confusing and non-obvious "norm" of Capcom fighters.

They certainly pissed me off back then.

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    In a recent interview with GameInformer, Christian Svensson talks very briefly about Street Fighter X Tekken's DLC being on the game disc.

Here is what he had to say.
    There’s been a recent explosion over Street Fighter X Tekken having downloadable content already on the disc. Was it more of a PR situation where you have to be better explaining to fans upfront what is going on with something like this?

It came down to a development process issue more than anything. I wish it had been done differently. I think it just becomes -- the rationality of what content costs to make and how you fund that content doesn’t come into play here for the consumer. It’s an emotional issue that I think we need to be sensitive to.

The other part of this is we could have had a better communication strategy around this back at the outset. Left to their own devices, consumers will always jump to the worst possible conclusion. I think what you’ll see in the coming weeks the conclusions that were jumped to were not the correct ones.

This is so true. Companies need to learn that this is 2012 and communication between people is faster and more direct than ever before. Sure on-disc DLC sucks, but it would have been more acceptable to have been told ahead of time that it was being distributed that way. Then again, with this advance knowledge, people may not have bought the game equaling less sales.

My opinion is that it's best not to piss off the fans. Gameplay complaints and moaning I can handle, writing off the company is something else entirely.

Capcom are surprised that locking out an entire game's worth of content on the disc pisses people off? Is this Christian guy stupid? Better communication my arse, they got caught with his fingers in the till. I don't really think knowing this was the case would have made it better - and they know this which is of course why there's no way in hell they would ever have made it clear that the extra 12 characters, moves, gems, colorus and costumes were locked for sale later, on top of the cost of the game.

In every conceivable way this situation is a joke. Of course Capcom don't care, these statements are a sop and frankly that just makes matter worse since they are not remotely going to relent on this. The customer got shafted here, end of.

And that doesn't compensate the people that brought the game beliving it had local coop for the online. Next time properly playtest your games ffs.

I'm pretty glad I waited to buy this game. After how quickly they dropped supporting MvC3 to make UMvC3 instead of giving us things they promised, I decided to wait it out and read peoples reactions here.

I did not realize local 2p for online play was evidently ps3 only. Seems stupid to me, and I would have been pissed. Add in all this on disk DLC, and the fact there will probably be a Super version in 6 months, glad I didn't get it. Will probably rent it to play for a couple days.

Shame, game looks really good. I played a lot of Tekken up until TT, and loved SF4. Oh well, I'll drop $40 in 6 months for super or ultimate or AE or whatever they call it.