As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Draw Something]! Unintentionally revealing the deficiencies of modern education.

belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Games and Technology
Draw-Something.jpg
OP stuff:

Friends list: PM me if I got you wrong or you want on the list.
Belligerent.....Holyground
Skull2185.....Drskullnumbers
Sniperguy.....Doshaeris
Bullio.....Bullio
Professor Snugglesworth..... Todd McFarlane
Sassfactor4.....Sassfactor4

FAQ stuff:

Q: How do I quit a game?
A: when looking at the list of games, swipe your finger right on the game you want to quit. An X will show up.

Q: How do I buy colors?
A: When in a drawing, to the right of the color palette is a + symbol. Click on that. It's about 300 coins for 6 colors.

Q: Isn't that alot for colors?
A: I guess. There isn't anything else to spend them on, really, except bombs. 10 bombs for 400 coins, 20 for 720, and 40 for something.

Q: What's the point of the game?
A: To have fun? I mean, it's a dumb little free/.99c game that you can play pictionary with your friends. You don't "win" you just keep going. I guess you could try to see how high your round score can get. Personally, my noncheating one is 56 currently.

original.
This started for me because my sister begged me to play this game with her. It's a turn-based guessing game where you get three choices (easy/medium/hard) which are worth coins. You can have an unlimited number of games going, and it keeps track of the stats of each game. blah blah blah.

This game got interesting to me, though, when I realized how stupid some people were. For example, one guy can't draw I guess, so turned it into a guessing game. 1st example?

"This is where Hitler was born"
Answer? Germany. Now, He was actually born in Austria, but whatev's no big deal. it's easy to make that mistake. Next picture.

"This guy cuts wood."
Answer? Butcher.

The best picture of last night was someone who drew a water bottle, a potato and the swastika.
Answer? Russia.

So now I'm taking pictures of the silly ones so that we can share our chuckle. The game is free(ad based) or .99 currently for the non-ad version. I highly suggest you pick it up and experience the wonders of this game.

More examples:

SC20120314-233721.jpg
SC20120314-233745.jpg

SC20120314-233241.jpg
SC20120314-233300.jpg

belligerent on

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I am so happy there is a thread for this. I have saved some of my decent drawing and am going to throw them on a blog or tumblr or whatever. How people can't guess certain things is beyond me.

I drew Ryu throwing a fireball and wrote HADUKEN on the top. The lady wrote "f-i-r-e..." in the beginning and then got rid of it and eventually gave up. COME ON!

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    How does the multi work? Do you have to local it with other iWhatever users, or is it online multi?

Not got my pad yet, so can't try it, but looks pretty damned funny.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    It's online. You can link your facebook, do anonymous, or make a username. I do username (Holyground). Each game just goes back and forth, you watch them guess your picture, then you guess theirs, then you draw the next picture.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    This is a great game, thanks for putting me onto it!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I am so happy there is a thread for this. I have saved some of my decent drawing and am going to throw them on a blog or tumblr or whatever. How people can't guess certain things is beyond me.

I drew Ryu throwing a fireball and wrote HADUKEN on the top. The lady wrote "f-i-r-e..." in the beginning and then got rid of it and eventually gave up. COME ON!

Should have drawn a wizard putting on his hat.

• Options
    Or flower-power mario.

Nothing racist last night. These were the "best"
    SC20120316-020213.jpg
    SC20120316-023240.jpg

try to guess.

• Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Well the second one is a phone, but the first one... hrm.

e: Card?

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Top one's an iPad?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    doh.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Ha ha! this game is neat! I wish I had my 3DS stylus though... its hard to draw with my giant banana finger on this iPhone 3gs screen...

username is DrSkullnumbers if anyone wants to play.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    I've been playing this for a while, and while there are some interesting people you meet out there, by and large you really get some creative people. The game works because drawers and guessers get points for successful rounds. The problem is, a lot of random people just actually write out the word for you to guess so they get coins for it.

I also wish that the range of letters were more than 12; it becomes pretty easy to work out the word once you start permutating the letters shown.

• Options
    OK. I can't wait to put up my blog. Here are some of mine. I have yet to get a peach color for skin, so Team Rocket is a little funky. All of these were guessed correctly except for Stork.

6841674374_64eca27c4f.jpg6987796937_566eb548ea.jpg

6987796989_6c310a55ca.jpg6841674424_cb347184e2.jpg

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Those are...incredible!

Why is Batman barfing water, though?

Edit: Firin' his lazar?

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Shoop Da Whoop Batman, duh! I dotted the eyes and was like, "Whelp, he is gonna shoot lasers now." Haha.

edit: I should've made it look like the stork did something to the baby and have blood all over it. Hahaha.

edit: My rule of thumb is that it is bad form to point an arrow at the answer or write out things that give it away horribly. Like, I had to draw RIBS. So, I drew a zombie and its stomach was blood and I used white to make ribs. Since it might be a little hard, I had blood going down its leg in the form of a secret arrow, pointing to the stomach/ribs.

What I typically do is try to color in an outline of the figures and then make them more detailed. Once I do that, I outline in a color.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    MasterCoderMasterCoder Registered User new member
    Wow! I just got taken by the wave... cool App. Already thinking about making it better and here is my idea. There is a source code for draw my thing alternative that includes most features plus adds some new ones like video chat and voice communication. The only thing is missing is a re-design and a concept.

ANY IDEA IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED! Thank you! :)

draw-on-screen.png

• Options
    So, a game that takes up a ton of battery life is going to have video AND voice chat? By the time you draw one thing, you need to recharge. I will stick to Draw Something since everyone I know has it already and got the paid version.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Man, I hope I start drawing better pics once I get my hands on my 3DS stylus...

I feel so inadequate when this person draws a fuckawesome robot, and then I draw a blind person's interpretation of a tricycle...

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I totally want a capacitative stylus for this, that is much thinner than the stylii(?) that I've seen available.

Oooor, an iPad. Yes, excellent shopping decision.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    my fat fingers make me laugh when I have such an awesome idea and then I have to resort to writing a word to get my point across.

Also yes, an ipad and a phone.

• Options
    This is why I try to make broad strokes and large images. Sometimes it is just impossible to get small details. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I got to draw a stick figure gandalf. Loving this.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I did too! I didn't take a picture though. It was in the early days of my Draw Something career. I had him on a bridge with his arms out. Haha.

edit: Annnnnd I just drew the scariest Phoenix Wright w/ OBJECTION! for "court." And as I was typing this, I had my iphone on random and Phoenix Wright's theme from Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 came on. Hahaha. So good.

edit: I think we should have a contest at the end of the month. You can post like your best drawing and post the worst from someone else. We can then vote to see who wins!

edit: I started my Tumblr for my drawings. I'll let you all know when I have it all pretty and filled with posts.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Dang... 3DS stylus is a no go :C

Ah well, theres a certain character to sausage finger drawings I suppose.

Wish i knew how to post this frog i drew

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Do you have an iPhone? Just use the screen cap combo (lock+[]). Then just upload to Flickr or a photo hosting site.

If you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone....and I don't know how it works on other phones. Ha.

My tumblr. IT LIVES! I am going to try to get most of what I have so far up. I am going to also explain my thought process or a story about the picture as well (unless I get complaints that just want to see the pictures and that is it). Enjoy!

tumblr.com/blog/codydrawssomething

edit: Shit, I will post an image for everyone because I am so talented!

tumblr_m107bmgEvE1rrmeswo2_250.png

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    We talked a bit about this in the iOS thread. I really can't draw very well so I've made it into Jeopardy. Some of the people I was playing with stopped playing but fuck em. I'm having fun with it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Jeopardy? Booo. This game is too awesome to be a "guess what my text is talking about" game.

edit:

tumblr_m1087i51WH1rrmeswo2_250.png

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Should draw all people as wangs. Like Assy McGee, but with Penii. Because that's the plural form of Penis people.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So this is fantastic. My username is Dohaeris, if anyone wants to play.

Also, can I report people or something? Had someone give me the word "Widget' by...writing the word widget.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Alright, fine. I'll join in on this craze. I didn't buy this iFad (hurr) just to be left out in the dust.

Username is Bullio.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Also, can I report people or something? Had someone give me the word "Widget' by...writing the word widget.

Just delete the game. People are going to do that. Hell, some of my friends almost write out what the word is. It isn't a big deal.

tumblr_m1087i51WH1rrmeswo1_250.png

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    I hate it when the people I know write out hints. Just draw the fucking thing! Then I have to bitch at them and they just don't get why I'm so mad and then I don't get why I'm so mad and then I just go home and I'm really sad.

Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Had somebody start drawing a guy and then write "Michael". Hell if I knew who it was. Turns out they wanted "Jordan".

Not at all disappointed when they retired from the game after I passed on answering.

Just got to try Florida. The initial picture was unintentionally and remarkably... phallic. As in it looked like a guy with a giant wang. I figured, what the hell, lets add some water and pretend it all looks fine.

EDIT: How do I retire from/delete games? I don't even want to bother with folks who won't make awful attempts, but I'm not seeing the option anywhere.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    At the main screen, slide your finger over the game.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Just delete the game. People are going to do that. Hell, some of my friends almost write out what the word is. It isn't a big deal.

tumblr_m1087i51WH1rrmeswo1_250.png

Typically in games when people disobey the rules there are mechanisms to keep them from doing so other than "just stop playing it" is all.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Had somebody start drawing a guy and then write "Michael". Hell if I knew who it was. Turns out they wanted "Jordan".

Not at all disappointed when they retired from the game after I passed on answering.

Just got to try Florida. The initial picture was unintentionally and remarkably... phallic. As in it looked like a guy with a giant wang. I figured, what the hell, lets add some water and pretend it all looks fine.

EDIT: How do I retire from/delete games? I don't even want to bother with folks who won't make awful attempts, but I'm not seeing the option anywhere.

I had someone do Florida by writing "A state in the us that startse with F" (sic)

edit: I also just watched someone fail at spelling polkadot about 6 times. Ouch. Thread title=Spot on.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    tumblr_m10p5qGHuY1rrmeswo2_250.pngtumblr_m10p5qGHuY1rrmeswo1_250.png

Seriously, I love this game. Haha. I wish there was more you could do with coins than buy color palettes.

edit: Two more images to be posted on my tumblr and I will be all up to date with my drawings on there. I guess it is time to get detailed again. It gets tiring drawing crazy images. Heh.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Those of you tired of playing people incapable of drawing would be wise to start a game with me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I would, but I have like 15 games going with people I know already. It is such a chore to update all the games. Sometimes I just have to do stick figures to survive. Haha.

Bought another color palette. I still didn't buy one with a peach-ish color.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    I would, but I have like 15 games going with people I know already. It is such a chore to update all the games. Sometimes I just have to do stick figures to survive. Haha.

Bought another color palette. I still didn't buy one with a peach-ish color.

That comment wasn't directed specifically at you, but I hear ya. I'm just fishing for more games ;).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think I am at my limit at the moment. I want to keep doing riduculous/creepy/hilarious drawings and if I do more games I might get overwhelmed. I need to keep filing my tumblr!

I just got "sapphire". I might have just drawn the Pokemon Sapphire Gameboy Advance box. Hahaha. Once my friend guesses it, I will post it side by side with the real box.

bYf6vNQ.png