As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What if all my threads...were spiders

mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Social Entropy++
So it's been ridiculously hot on the East Coast for a while now and the bugs have noticed!! I am dying bite by bite

But on the other side of the coin:

iLaxK.png
(animated here)
This Woolly Bear Caterpillar lives in the Arctic and no matter how fast it eats, it can never gather enough food in one summer to turn into a moth. In winter it freezes solid and awakes four months later to start eating again. This happens year after year, but eventually a very special spring arrives. At the age of 14 it weaves a silk cocoon and becomes a moth. When it emerges the moth only has a few days to find a partner and mate. (Frozen Planet - BBC)

FOURTEEN YEARS OF CATERPILLAR FUCK ME

and of course, jumping spiders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsGvT2DYJMc
(are tarantulas this cute? I need this in a size large enough to kiss)

Of course, when bugs aren't being cute they are being pretty badass (DON'T CLICK IF YOU ARE EASILY FREAKED OUT)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hru2ujTWNLA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ejN0B5YZeA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw9UUuUpmcQ&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIoMQpNF1x0
Doi Phukha National Park, Nan, Thailand. This ancient-looking creature is common in fast-moving mountain streams around the world. It is the larval form of a beetle (Coleoptera: Psephenidae) which is rather unremarkable as an adult. The larvae have gills and are fully aquatic. You can see the gills waving about in the video when I turn the poor creature over. Water Pennies feed off algae and organic detritus, which they scrape off of rocks. They are good water-quality indicators, because they are sensitive to pollution and nitrogen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTxenFhUSwk&list=PLD6F3015DBBF9866C&index=7
U8U5q.jpg
Humans aren't the only ones trying to flee the floods in Wagga Wagga.

Thousands of spiders have crawled into farm fields in the city's northern outskirts to escape the swollen Murrumbidgee River.

The tiny arachnids have woven spectacular webs among the high grasslands, shrouding the paddocks in a vast sticky net.

Local children have been stopping to admire the eye-catching phenomenon and take photographs.

(some actually rather lovely photos)

OK back to cute!!

JvtjQ.jpg
When Jane Goodall visited in 2008, Patrick showed her rows and rows of incubating eggs: 11,376 at that time, with about 700 adults in the captive population. Lord Howe Island walking sticks seem to pair off — an unusual insect behavior — and Goodall says Patrick "showed me photos of how they sleep at night, in pairs, the male with three of his legs protectively over the female beside him."
!!!!!!!
npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/02/24/147367644/six-legged-giant-finds-secret-hideaway-hides-for-80-years

lFIEF.jpg
A stunning example of Batesian mimicry from a caterpillar of the Hemeroplanes genus. They'll even lunge at you in imitation of a snake striking

Yes I know that not all tiny chitinous creatures are bugs, here is a podcast about what ARE

I will probably regularly be coming back to post more bug stuff and if I find that you jerkwads have turned this into a discussion about the illuminati or similarily un-kawaii bullshit then so help me...!

mensch-o-matic on

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    bugs gross me out but i like the tender stick insect

reposig.jpg
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    i could actually never touch a bug, not even a jumping spider, but they are neat to look at/read up on at least!

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    I like bugs. A lot.

Except when they get on my fucking plants. Especially THIS MOTHERFUCKER right here:
    64190423.tyVoItfR.ph_0445CottonyCushionScale.jpg

That mass behind it? All eggs. As it continues it's tirade across my citrus, depositing the seed of new armies. Practically indestructible: Adults are immune to most insecticides, juveniles are too young to see with the naked eye, and the eggs can lie dormant for years.

Otherwise, bugs are okay in my book.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    official bugboy approval post

official bugboy tear of joy

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Yay, bug thread!

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    That caterpillar snake mimicry is pretty dang fascinating. The fact that a caterpillar would be like 'whoa hey check out this slithery motherfucker over here, no one wants to mess with him, let's be like that guy' is astounding.

uc3ufTB.png
    I like bugs. A lot.

Except when they get on my fucking plants. Especially THIS MOTHERFUCKER right here:

aLBLu.png

That mass behind it? All eggs. As it continues it's tirade across my citrus, depositing the seed of new armies. Practically indestructible: Adults are immune to most insecticides, juveniles are too young to see with the naked eye, and the eggs can lie dormant for years.

Otherwise, bugs are okay in my book.

(fixed the img for you)

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Jumping spiders are my favourites.

The other day I saw a jumping spider that had caught a moth bigger than it was.

broken image link
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    ooh no

ooooooh no

oh FUCK oh FUCK

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
  • Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    For some reason spiders like to live outside my front door and drop down in front of me the second I open it.

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Ruby Rhod wrote: »
    For some reason spiders like to live outside my front door and drop down in front of me the second I open it.

Are you a giant insect?

broken image link
  • Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    Ruby Rhod wrote: »

Are you a giant insect?

I plead the fifth..... element.

man_sunglasses.jpg

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    today a girl was smashing ants and I told her to stop and she wouldn't stop so I shoulder-checked her into some bushes

• vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    I used to do research on bees. I am interested in getting back into that but I don't really know how to do it.

steam id: vermiculture
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »
    today a girl was smashing ants and I told her to stop

this is good
    and she wouldn't stop so I shoulder-checked her into some bushes

wait no

edited March 2012
    ants tried to kill a caterpillar once so they can collectively go fuck themselves

mensch-o-matic on
    which should be p easy considering that they work more like a single entity than a group

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    I moved a bug outside instead of killing it today.

Kinder than Jesus.

The males that weren’t so lucky were subjected to one-hour sessions of constant sexual rejection by females three times a day for four days.

ahaha

the cruelest study

hsepede.jpg

I kill the shit out of these fuckers, though.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry, bug people. I kill all creatures in my apartment that aren't invited inside.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Sup guys, I have a love/hate thing with bugs. This I hate, but am strangely fascinated by:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFSFR2s7Ig

JtgVX0H.png
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    hsepede.jpg

Hi, I'm your substitute BugBoy for the day

that is a house centipede

they CAN bite, but overall they are nonagressive

and they help keep your home free of other pests

don't kill these guys, they're beneficial

hey

good job

• IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    Most bugs are pretty rad. I thought Japan's weird obsession with large beetles was pretty cool. You can buy beetles, food for them and everything else you need, each summer at most department stores. The Asian Giant Hornet can fuck right off though. I'm mildly phobic of wasps and those things really freak me out.

Here's a pic of me checking out a giant beetle up close. It was really laid-back.
    4723865658_8865e889af_b.jpg

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    goddamn did i just kill a big spider
    it was sort of reflex thing, but it came out of little abyss between the cupboard and the floor while i was in the kitchen and stomp

thank goodness i do not live in australia
    goddamn

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    crbj1.png

what is that

it is the adorablest

Taya

did you just find a Bug BugBoy doesn't know about!?

hsepede.jpg

If they were meant to live, they wouldn't have so many legs.

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It was on my tumblr and I was hoping Bugboy would give me information. I've been calling it by its scientific name: fluffyfly.

Taya on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    hsepede.jpg

cthonic beasts from a nightmare realm

JtgVX0H.png
    I've never seen anything like it before

honestly my first thought was that it was a photoshopped cross between a hummingbird and a bee

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Kill all insects inside my home, kill em dead

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    Skull Man wrote: »
    today a girl was smashing ants and I told her to stop

this is good
    and she wouldn't stop so I shoulder-checked her into some bushes

wait no

heh not really

what actually happened was I asked her to stop and she said "why, what do they contribute"

and I said "what do you contribute"

• WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    hsepede.jpg

yeah I make sure to kill anything with more than one leg

now c'mere you

4SMZq.jpg
  • ArnanArnan Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Taya wrote: »
    crbj1.png

After a certain amount of google-fu and google translate (apparently it only lives in japan?), I found its scientific name to be Anastoechus nitidulus.

What its common name is, I haven't a clue.

edit: after a second more of google, another name for it is Chlpačka. Now I have no idea where this bee/hummingbird is found.

Arnan on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Arnan wrote: »
    Taya wrote: »
    crbj1.png

After a certain amount of google-fu and google translate (apparently it only lives in japan?), I found its scientific name to be Anastoechus nitidulus.

What its common name is, I haven't a clue.

edit: after a second more of google, another name for it is Chlpačka. Now I have no idea where this bee/hummingbird is found.

pretty sure hummingbirds, or any birds, don't have six legs

belruelotterav-1.jpg