As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre/Post PAX Maryland Meetup

• TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    I seem to be the only one that remembered to spring forward! I am here and waiting :p

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • PsykusPsykus Registered User regular
    Heading over there now after grabbing lunch, better late than never.

So that was fun, apart from the cave bears. Screw cave bears.

• Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    adastra wrote: »
    Well, our group has been decimated by something that's going around... I'm not sure who, if anyone, is up to gaming today. Feverish delirium may sound like the right state of mind for Arkham Horror, but in practice may not be the right choice.
    D:

Oh man, hope you are all feeling better, you were certainly missed!
    Psykus wrote: »
    So that was fun, apart from the cave bears. Screw cave bears.

Glad you could make it Psykus! The cave bears are definitely jerks, lol.

Thanks to everyone else who showed up! (Corrected clocks or otherwise!)

Exodus1 on
    edited March 2012
    Hey everyone, got an update for GameFest this weekend:

1. A number of us have decided to meetup Friday to watch Tron, I know I will be hopping on the metro @ Shady Grove after work around 5:30-6pm, arriving in DC as fast as the metro can get me there and most likely partaking in a couple drinks and a bite to eat before heading over to the Smithsonian.

Friday Roster:
    Taboo
    Gespo
    Exo
    Murdoc

2. After reviewing the schedule of events, it seems there is quite a bit of a repeat (and I didn't get tix for the panel), so I I'm thinking I'll be attending from around 2pm-6pm on Saturday.

Saturday Roster:
    Taboo
    Gespo
    Exo
    Murdoc
    Zepherin
    Fyeahcking
    Nevermore?
    HuskyDork
    DanieloftheKings

Exodus1 on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    MAGFest is providing consoles for gamefest, so you can expect to see me babysitting the consoles this weekend. Just look for the good lookin' guy in the MAGFest t-shirt.

When/where is everyone meeting up for the TRON screening and Saturday events? I can PM you with contact info, @Exodus1. Count me in for both unless something comes up.

Psykus wrote: »
    When/where is everyone meeting up for the TRON screening and Saturday events? I can PM you with contact info, @Exodus1. Count me in for both unless something comes up.
    I know I'm gonna head down on the metro kinda early, and get some food, we can all meet at the Gallery Place-Chinatown stop around 6:30pm. I figure we'll want to head to the museum 7:30-8:00pm to get seats (so you can meet us there if you're not interested in food).

I'll start us a G+ huddle, just PM me with your G+ info and I'll add you in, prolly the best way for us all to find each other this weekend. Of course, if you don't have a smartphone, or are lost, my google number is (209) 732-6403.

• ChuckerChucker From now on, call me Big Boss! MarylandRegistered User regular
    Have been lurking foreeeeeeeeeeever but figured I'd post to say I'll be going to Gamefest this Saturday. I'll be there in the morning and schlepping it in the standby line for Kojima since I forgot to get my pre-sell ticket.

• nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    Welcome to the group.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I actually may not be going to gamefest, my Saint Patricks day is looking like it is going to be a bar crawl from sun up to sun up. However, if I can I'll make it.

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    Well, I'm gonna head out in 30-40mins, should put me at the Chinatown Metro a little after 6:00. See you all there.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • ChuckerChucker From now on, call me Big Boss! MarylandRegistered User regular
    I felt like the exhibit was a bit underwhelming, and if GameFest wasn't going on it would have been completely forgettable. HOWEVER, as I was leaving through the front door I ran into Billy Mitchell (complete with American Flag tie) and Walter Day, which was odd because I was just talking to a friend about Chasing Ghosts on the metro earlier.

• NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    Sorry I didn't run into any of you guys. I hope you enjoyed the playable consoles that I brought, though.

• fyeahckingfyeahcking Registered User regular
    I know it's not very pre- or post- right now, but hopefully I'll catch some of y'all while we're at PAX. Thursday train crew: hope the trip's going well!

• adastraadastra Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think I spotted over half of the Maryland/DC/VA folks that I know while I was at PAX - and some of you spotted me in return! It's always fun to see a familiar face among the tens of thousands in the crowd. I hope everyone had a great time, made it home safely, and perhaps now we can all catch up on sleep!

I see on the group calendar that there's a meetup on there for this weekend - is that still on? If so, what's the plan?

adastra on
  • goatbertgoatbert Alexandria, VaRegistered User regular
    Didn't know about this thread until now but did meet some people from VA while I was there. Will definitely keep an eye out for this thread next year, and I plan on finally attending MAGFest in 2013, I should have gone to the last 2 but talked myself out of it.

edited April 2012
    Ditto, I think I ran into the majority of you at one point or another, and it was great to have another person or two around when looking to kick-off some tabletop. See you all again soon I hope.
    goatbert wrote: »
    Didn't know about this thread until now but did meet some people from VA while I was there. Will definitely keep an eye out for this thread next year, and I plan on finally attending MAGFest in 2013, I should have gone to the last 2 but talked myself out of it.

Don't feel like you have to wait till next year, good sir. We aren't going anywhere (at least I hope not, since the meet-ups have universally been a lot of fun). Note the topic being Pre/Post PAX Maryland Meetup. I imagine we will be meeting up in Maryland again for some tabletop starting next month and you are more than welcome to join us.

Also, after having an absolute blast at PAX East, I have decided that I have no choice but to go to Prime. Is anyone else planning on making the trek?

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I would love to make the trip out to Prime but sadly I don't see it happening. Eventually I hope I will be able to start going to both, but it won't happen until 2013 at the earliest. I don't know how often I will be able to attend meet-ups in the near future because I think I will be working most weekends but we shall see.

• PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    I think I spotted over half of the Maryland/DC/VA folks that I know while I was at PAX - and some of you spotted me in return! It's always fun to see a familiar face among the tens of thousands in the crowd. I hope everyone had a great time, made it home safely, and perhaps now we can all catch up on sleep!

I see on the group calendar that there's a meetup on there for this weekend - is that still on? If so, what's the plan?

I hope it's still on! Just discovered this thread after attending PAX East and I would love to be able to hang out with the same kind of awesome people I met there outside of that once-yearly mecca.

edited April 2012

I hope it's still on! Just discovered this thread after attending PAX East and I would love to be able to hang out with the same kind of awesome people I met there outside of that once-yearly mecca.

I think the consensus was that we probably were going to skip this month but in retrospect, if people are up to making a trek to Games and Stuff(As I think we're all pretty fed up with Dream Wizards at this point) or whatever on short notice, I might be up for it if my schedule works out. I've got a couple plans to work out for this weekend, but if people can make it and want to go, why not? Also, as an unintended rule, I apparently must come home from any vacation with more than I left with, so I now am proud owner of Munchkin Quest and the 5-6 player expansion so I could use an excuse to play more of it.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • goatbertgoatbert Alexandria, VaRegistered User regular
    gespo89 wrote: »
    Don't feel like you have to wait till next year, good sir. We aren't going anywhere (at least I hope not, since the meet-ups have universally been a lot of fun). Note the topic being Pre/Post PAX Maryland Meetup. I imagine we will be meeting up in Maryland again for some tabletop starting next month and you are more than welcome to join us.

Noted. I think I'm going to go to the Darkmoon Fair (WoW TCG Event) in Baltimore this weekend if I can. That was not a habit I needed to pick up but it was a ton of fun and its close enough to VA to be worth it. And I'd love to meetup for Tabletop with people.
    Also, after having an absolute blast at PAX East, I have decided that I have no choice but to go to Prime. Is anyone else planning on making the trek?

I've been thinking a lot about it but it would be pretty expensive for me and I'm still trying to pay down my debt as much as possible. I'd love to be an enforcer at PAX Prime or something, since PAX East I can't since its the one time a year I get to see a lot of my friends.

• fyeahckingfyeahcking Registered User regular
    I miiight try to get out to Prime -- I don't think any of the guys I came to East with this year can go, though.

It's really, really tempting. This past weekend was incredible. I'll probably at least buy a badge when they become available and just sell it at face if I can't make it.

• adastraadastra Registered User regular
    Prime is equally awesome but different. I think the Tabletop situation at East (where it's in the giant hall all together) is superior to Prime (where it's all spread out in multiple spots on a couple of floors), but I still had a blast last August playing in tourneys and demoing new games and trying to be the fastest Pajaggler ever.

If I weren't planning to go to Dragon*Con this year, I'd totally be at Prime. And if I don't end up at Dragon*Con, the same reasons will keep me from Prime, which gives me a sad. 2013, I really want to do both PAXes.

• FartmancerFartmancer Registered User regular
    Whew. Well I didn't make it before PAX but I should be able to one of these months. Hope you guys had a good time, because I sure did!

edited April 2012
    Hey everyone! Was great to see so many familiar faces at PAX, and I'm glad everyone made it home safe and healthy!

This month, there will NOT be an OFFICIAL meet-up this weekend. That said, if there are enough people interested, please feel free to plan something here. I will adjust the calendar appropriately, I've been very busy, as you might imagine in the past week, and hadn't had a chance.

Our next meetup is tentatively scheduled for Saturday May 12th at Noon, depending on people's availability (it is Mother's Day weekend). For now we will be going to Games and Stuff, and I will be talking to Beyond Comics about us possibly meeting there.

See everyone soon!

P.S. I picked up a copy of Sentinels of the Multiverse, and I can't wait to share it with everyone!

Exodus1 on
  • cadmiacadmia Registered User regular
    Is there a meetup group? Or a Facebook page? Or is everything organized here?

edited April 2012
    cadmia wrote: »
    Is there a meetup group? Or a Facebook page? Or is everything organized here?

Generally, it's been easier to keep everything centralized around the PA forums, since after all, it's the community we're from, and we want new people such as yourself to be able to find us. That said, in my sig I have links to the Events Calendar and the Google + Page, and new twitter @MD_PAX_Meetup.

You can rest assured I will always post upcoming events with a roster (if possible) here on the forums in advance. I'll work on getting us linked up to Facebook and Twitter as well to accommodate those who prefer one over the other.

Exodus1 on
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    Sorry I haven't really been active in this group that much, fire department stuff limits my evening hours. I definitely met a few of you on the train or at PAX though.

Are most of the meetings in the Rockville area? There are two gaming shops in Howard County that could be good for meetups. I used to run D&D Encounters for Comics to Astonish in Columbia (they're also big into Magic and Heroclix), and Hackers Ink/ManCave in Ellicott City is right around the corner from my office. They just opened a new space, they have food, and I believe they are even open late.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    flatline wrote: »
    Sorry I haven't really been active in this group that much, fire department stuff limits my evening hours. I definitely met a few of you on the train or at PAX though.

Are most of the meetings in the Rockville area? There are two gaming shops in Howard County that could be good for meetups. I used to run D&D Encounters for Comics to Astonish in Columbia (they're also big into Magic and Heroclix), and Hackers Ink/ManCave in Ellicott City is right around the corner from my office. They just opened a new space, they have food, and I believe they are even open late.

We used to meet about 50/50 at Dream Wizards in Rockbville and at Games and Stuff in Glen Burnie, but we got pretty fed up with Dream Wizards though so we've been looking to add another alternative venue or two back in. I'm in Columbia and haven't heard of either of those places. Learn something new every day. I may have to go check them out.

1tLJUH2O.png
    gespo89 wrote: »
    flatline wrote: »

We used to meet about 50/50 at Dream Wizards in Rockbville and at Games and Stuff in Glen Burnie, but we got pretty fed up with Dream Wizards though so we've been looking to add another alternative venue or two back in. I'm in Columbia and haven't heard of either of those places. Learn something new every day. I may have to go check them out.

What gespo said, we're pretty much left with Games and Stuff right now, but I've been looking at other venues, so if there are suggestions, I don't think we mind moving the meet around every other month.

• Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    I <3 Beyond Comics - if they allowed us to take over one of their gaithersburg spaces that would be pretty cool. I was wondering if anyone was interested in starting or joining a D&D 3.5/pathfinder game. Nothing in stone yet, just looking for interest. Also, I really want to learn to play Battlestar and Arkham - so if anyone has those and want to bring them to the next meet-up that would be awesome!

Who is going to PAX South?
    I <3 Beyond Comics - if they allowed us to take over one of their gaithersburg spaces that would be pretty cool. I was wondering if anyone was interested in starting or joining a D&D 3.5/pathfinder game. Nothing in stone yet, just looking for interest. Also, I really want to learn to play Battlestar and Arkham - so if anyone has those and want to bring them to the next meet-up that would be awesome!

Hey! That is my hope, I've got a good initial response, but just need to go in and hammer out details. I would definitely be interested in a D&D game, though I will admit I'm still relatively new to the game, I have the basics down but would need assistance here and there. I own Arkham, and am always looking for an excuse to run it, and I think most will agree they have been legendary (don't deny it gespo).

Also, if any of you haven't, check out Light Weight RPG, if there's enough interest there may be a possibility of a play-test for the group.

• flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Are you the Tara who abandoned their group (Frank I think?) to play Cards Against Humanity with us on the Sonic Line?

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    edited April 2012

I'd also be up for some D&D, although I'd be starting from square one essentially.
    Exodus1 wrote: »
    I own Arkham, and am always looking for an excuse to run it, and I think most will agree they have been legendary (don't deny it gespo).
    Well, now I feel obligated to disagree since you called me out. I think the most legendary game so far was you getting clobbered by my 6 year old elf deck at the Westin on Sunday after you laughed at my cards. :-P

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • OccamsRZROccamsRZR BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    Damn. I just realized that I agreed to work an extra weekend on the next meetup. Was looking forward to actually being able to make a meetup. Oh well, maybe next time.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    The 12th is great, I like the 12th. Let's go with that. I am also up for some D&D, and I'm willing to DM.

edited April 2012
    I'm going to tentatively say I will be there on the 12th, but depending on what happens with Mother's day, I may end up going back on that.

Also, I would assume if you read this, you already saw the other thread anyways, but just in case, any of you interested in heading up to Maine for some rafting/gaming? I love rafting and haven't been in forever so I'll definitely attending if it gets off the ground, and the more the merrier.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    Hmm.. I will see if I can get off on the 12th but we are having a party at work that day and I may need to be there. I will keep you informed!

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    edited May 2012
    Only 2 weeks until our next meet, can't wait to see everyone and any new games people acquired at PAX East. If you don't appear on the list below, just post and I'll add you. I would definitely like to see some new faces!

5/12 Meetup Roster:
    Exodus
    Zepherin
    Gespo89 (maybe)
    Murdoc (maybe)
    Nevermore (maybe)

Alternate location update: So, I went around to the new Beyond Comics location, and sadly, they don't have much more room than the old place, and they are really only selling magic cards and I think I saw a couple Munchkin decks. I still plan to speak with the manager the next time he's in, but I don't know if it'd really benefit them to let us play there (they don't have any tables that are set up 24/7).

I know there was mention of a couple other locations which I will start looking into asap.

Otakon update: Do you like anime, foreign films, cosplay and gaming? I'll be attending Otakon anime convention in Baltimore July 27th - July 29th. It's a ton of fun, so anyone who wants to come, let me know. There's a ton of anime and movies to watch, along with a video gaming room and freeplay tabletop area. Find out more at http://www.otakon.com/.

Exodus1 on