As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Project Zomboid

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm glad these guys picked development up after their mishap. I'm looking forward to playing the complete product.

Do they have a public demo out yet or is it just a private demo?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Shimshai wrote: »
    This looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Unrelated, but when I went on to fileplanet to download the demo, noticed 2 of the top 10 'hottest files' were nude mods for Skyrim.

I'm not surprised, but still.. D:

One of the top mods for Zomboid is a nude mortally injured wife sprite

that surprised me
    no it didn't

override367 on
  • David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    This is pretty much EXACTLY what I've been looking for, for a few months now. Awesome. Has anyone made it past day 3 yet? I started up a sandbox, and thought I was doing well. Had a nice supply of food in the fridge, a good bit of cans and chips and drinks in the kitchen, lots of drugs in the bathroom. Got a little ballsy, went to the warehouse and just got SWARMED by about 20 zombies all at once. Managed to make it back into my (mostly) barricaded house, via the back door, and succumbed to infection. I love this. Going back for more.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    jdarksun wrote: »
    How do you know when the soup is done?
    I patiently waited for the state of the pot of soup to change, and was rewarded with the house catching fire. I dragged my wife down the stairs to find that the entire bottom floor was filled with zombies. How had that magically happened?!

I'm pretty sure it's done as soon as you hit the on button. Just remember to turn it off.

edit: Looks like it's changed, it takes about 15 seconds, the item will change from "Uncooked Pot of Soup" to "Cooked Pot of Soup".
    The zombies were attracted by the fire and probably got through a hole burnt in the wall

Magic Pink on
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    So once the soup is done, how do you eat it or feed it to wifey?

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2012
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    How do you know when the soup is done?
    I patiently waited for the state of the pot of soup to change, and was rewarded with the house catching fire. I dragged my wife down the stairs to find that the entire bottom floor was filled with zombies. How had that magically happened?!
    I'm pretty sure it's done as soon as you hit the on button. Just remember to turn it off.
    The zombies were attracted by the fire and probably got through a hole burnt in the wall
    That explains part of it.
    I didn't realize zombies are attracted to fire! I think they simply beat down the front door, they were streaming in through the front hall when I got to the kitchen.
    Zombies are attracted to any light, sound or movement. A raging kitchen fire is like a ice cream truck jingle.

Magic Pink on
    Shimshai wrote: »
    So once the soup is done, how do you eat it or feed it to wifey?

I don't think you actually need to.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Well, you need to eat to live.

I knew that getting weak from starvation wasn't just a phase I'd grow out of!

Seriously though I didn't play for too long and didn't try too hard to figure out how to eat.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2012
    Oh, didn't see the "eat it". As I recall isn't there a use command or some such? The last time I played you couldn't feed the wife but yeah, you can eat it. I think it was a little mouth icon somewhere.

edit: Oh, it's the Heart icon. Click on the soup, click on the Heart. om nom nom

Magic Pink on
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Is the robber still in the game?

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
    Yup.

• PelPel Registered User regular
    The first time I left the soup on and caught the house on fire, I heard what I thought was a smoke alarm. I assumed this attracted the zombies but later when I fooled around with catching the house on fire I didn't hear the alarm again. Might have just been me.

Pel wrote: »
    The first time I left the soup on and caught the house on fire, I heard what I thought was a smoke alarm. I assumed this attracted the zombies but later when I fooled around with catching the house on fire I didn't hear the alarm again. Might have just been me.

It certainly contributed to it.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So the last time I played the demo, there wasn't even a save feature. Does the current paid version have that? Because I'd like to explore the game more, but I don't feel like dealing with the beginning stuff. I think I could happily fork over 8 bucks for a save feature right now.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Fun game I played today:
    I had made myself a decent setup, I was bringing food to my safehouse, when I got caught in the bank. When I opened the door about 20 zombies poured in, and I pushed through them but suffered a minor neck wound and was bleeding. I got back to my apartment, bandaged myself up, and a few hours later I got queasy. My neck injury took probably 3-4 days to fully heal, and over that time I went from queasy, to sick, to nauseous, to fever. I thought I was a goner for sure, especially when I ran out of wood, had about 10 durability left on my door and could hear about 15 zombies pounding down the door.

Then suddenly my sickness downgraded from fever to just nauseous, and I figured I was finally on the mend. Another stroke of luck was an npc wandered by my house and killed most of the zombies before dying himself. Then I opened the door, finished off the swarm and looted his body and made my way to the grocery store as I had literally just run out of food. I set up my new safehouse across the street from the store. I'm not sure how the zombies figured out I was there, I had all the windows covered but they started knocking down the doors again. That's when I noticed my Nausea had upgraded itself back to sick. The new house I was in had a front and back door, so I spent a few days resting and eating hoping to regain my strength but instead I downgraded further back to a fever, and the backdoor barricade was almost broken. I figured I'd pull down the front, wipe out those zombies and flee next door. It worked pretty good but then I noticed I was just getting weaker and weaker in my new house.

Then I collapsed and wouldn't get up for a few hours. Then I became a zombie myself. I put the game into fast forward and 2 days later an NPC came into the room and shot me in the face.

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    That's a great tale of wonder and woe Dissociater, thanks for sharing it :)

steam_sig.png
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I remember the first time I played the game
    The tutorial went as normal, although I have an OCD problem when I game (and only when I game, strangely enough) so I turned off the oven due to my own freakish need to. Upon coming down to face the NPC, I freaked out thinking he was a zombie and dashed straight for him and killed him with my hammer, only a few seconds after did I realize he was not a zombie. I was mad at myself thinking he was friendly. Later I found out he would have killed my wife, suddenly I realize my survival instincts might not be so bad after all.

You have options other than killing other NPCs with a hammer?

How do I get their delicious items then

• TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Don't mind him, he's crazy.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • PelPel Registered User regular
    So, is it impossible to burn down anything other than the house in the tutorial? I tried very hard to burn down other houses, including filling one oven with dish rags, socks, and whiskey, and leaving it on while I explored the neighborhood. No dice. I really wanted to make a flaming zombie trap too.

I only have the tech demo so that may be part of it too.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Pel wrote: »
    including filling one oven with dish rags, socks, and whiskey.

Remind me to never accept your dinner invitations.

• WaldoWaldo Registered User regular
    So the last time I played the demo, there wasn't even a save feature. Does the current paid version have that?

I don't know! Does it have save yet, anyone? I'm basically waiting for that feature to buy.

Senjutsu wrote: »
    when I was younger I had a drinking problem

now I just have drinking solutions
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/weeman3
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Waldo wrote: »
    So the last time I played the demo, there wasn't even a save feature. Does the current paid version have that?

I don't know! Does it have save yet, anyone? I'm basically waiting for that feature to buy.

I went ahead and paid (it's only 8 bucks), but sadly, no save feature as of yet. Still gotten my money's worth already.

EDIT: Also, I definitely had my place catch on fire the last time I played in the sandbox mode. Accidentally left the oven on after cooking a steak, went to sleep, woke up to find one of the kitchens on fire. However, it didn't burn for long and it definitely didn't burn the whole place down. However, I dunno if it was because nothing will burn as well as the fire in the story mode or because there just wasn't much around for the fire to burn (the kitchen was part of a single-story section, so it just burnt up the wall immediately around the oven).

Didn't leave anything in the oven at all, just left it on. Maybe there's random chance involved or only certain ovens will catch fire right now?

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited March 2012
    Don't mind him, he's crazy.

hey im a normal responsible member of society

Come zombie apocalypse though?

attachment.php?attachmentid=47896&d=1309810543

override367 on
  • AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Wow, sounds like this has come a long way since I last had a dabble in the demo. Glad they got over the disaster they had a few months back, and thanks muchly for sharing some of the new stories. Cravings activated!

steam_sig.png
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Upcoming Version Patch Notes:

Temporary solution to curtain problem. Shift click open / closes curtains instead of windows.
    Fixed issues with apartment block stairwell / walls.
    Smashed windows cannot be opened.
    Looking into stair deaths. Weird though never had it happen to us. :(
    SECRET FEATURE 013382

(Pssst, the secret feature is saving!)

Forum link: http://theindiestone.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6587

Metallikat on
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Played the demo, killed my wife a bunch of times and then dropped the £5 to get the latest version. General impressions: Bloody awesome! Some parts are a bit janky, as expected with an early build such as this, but certainly very very playable still.

Most recent go had me holed up on the third floor of an apartment building (couldn't climb the stairs any further for some reason). Had lots of supplies, a shotgun and plenty of ammo; things were looking good. All was fairly quiet apart from one incident where I fended off a a few dozen zeds at the front door with only a baseball bat (I think maybe the knockback is too good atm). Woke up on the eighth morning to the groaning of zombies so went to investigate. Turns out I'd left the front door open and a herd of zombies had taken interest in my safehouse. Cue the shotgun! I managed to take a whole bunch out, but they then burst out of the door behind me and attacked me. My panic moodle went crazy high, so I started missing with the shotgun. I switch to my baseball bat and get the zombies off me and unload the last few shells I have on me before retreating upstairs. I check out my injuries to find I've been bitten on the arm, I'm a gonner. I run to my ammo stockpile planning to go out in a blaze of glory to find that I can't access any storage places anymore (bug, or consequence of all the negative moodles I now have?). As the zeds start piling up against the apartment door I decide to not give them the satisfaction and hurl myself out the window. I hit the floor in the middle of a massive pile of zombies, easily a hundred or more crowded round the apartment, with even greater numbers still pouring in.

The addition of save files is just going to make this game sweeter, so much <3

• MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    You jumped out a window? Did you go ahead and download the newest alpha version from the forums or something? I just tested it with the main build you get from the website and I couldn't do it.
    I suppose you did if you were encountering some odd bugs?

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
    Yeah, I'm on the latest alpha version. If you've paid I'd definitely go and download that, so much more stuff added with it. Only bugs I've encountered are a crash when I tried to walk "off the map", where the landscape stopped and some weirdness with stairs.

edited March 2012
    Oh I've tried. Unfortunately my computer seems to disagree with the very latest pre-release builds (a through to whatever it is now), it just keeps flipping out when I try to play it. I've fixed the java file paths, installed the latest graphics drives, updated java and everything. Sucks. I'm hoping the 'release' version of it is playable for me.

I've had the weirdness with stairs with the 1.5d build, too. I was outside a house and ran alongside a wall with a staircase on the other side, I somehow phased through the wall, up the stairs and then the screen went black forever(except the game clock and all my icons). Looks like it hasn't quite yet been fixed. To be fair though, I've only ran into it once.

Morblitz on
  • Lawful EvilLawful Evil Registered User regular
    The new build is pretty interesting, but the lack of a saving mechanism makes it hard to really play it. But that's what the next update is supposed to be working on, so I guess once that comes out people will be a lot more interested.

Do not believe that the impossible exists. That is why you fail.
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    Lack of a save hasn't been that detrimental to me, but then again I never last more than 3 or 4 days anyways :D

steam_sig.png
    Lack of a save hasn't been that detrimental to me, but then again I never last more than 3 or 4 days anyways :D

I managed to get up to about 8 days before getting eaten (didn't keep an eye on my weapon health). I figure it could be relatively easy to go for a long time if you just holed up somewhere with a butt load of food and reading material with the curtains closed, but where's the fun in that!

Woo, a new build and launcher was released today or so on the forums, and it works for me!
    Pity I'm drowning in uni work and it'd be a bad idea to play it right now...

• Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/02/project-zomboid-update-promises-reanimation-animation/

It's nice to see that this game is still being produced, despite the numerous setbacks.

Yeah, the new animation system which they've developed is going to allow them to build new character animation models super quick. Which means more time to spend on other design and functionality. Can't wait for the latest build to drop, I think it's been almost a month or so since the last one.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I didn't quite get that system. They have rigged 3D skeletons for animations; do they trace that manually to sprites or do they have some automated process for it?

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    the rigged skeletons and the game program take care of the animation.

having those rigged 3d skeletons means that you can add skins (ie textures) to them. instead of drawing every frame of animation for the entire conceivable move set of a player, npc or zombie. This means you only need 50 textures for a whole hell of a lot of zombie madness instead of 50 billion kinematic pictures for sprites. also, depending on your photoshop skills, you could conceivable insert yourself into the game.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Any updates on this game? The site seems to indicate the alpha version has been taken down due to piracy. I want to get my zombie killing on... :(

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    Last statement from the team was released a few days ago. They had some game breaking bugs which took a really long time to fix. Now they're just stuck with the slightly shitty bugs, so I reckon we'll see a new release candidate within a week.

I've sold my soul to day z now anyway.