As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Heya! It's me Imoen!

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    The people I played mp bg2 with were never nerdy enough to stick it out.

Are

you!?

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I don't know if I want them to keep the ability to infinitely reroll your stats or not.

On the one hand, it brings an interesting level of randomness to character creation

On the other hand, for crazy people like me, it just means I'll never not be rolling stats for as near-perfect a stat line up as possible for an hour+

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I don't know if I want them to keep the ability to infinitely reroll your stats or not.

On the one hand, it brings an interesting level of randomness to character creation

On the other hand, for crazy people like me, it just means I'll never not be rolling stats for as near-perfect a stat line up as possible for an hour+

yep

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular

Or we put the right string in the .cfg and unlock the shift-click maximise option

...what? Like I was the only one! Don't judge me!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    Edcrab wrote: »

Or we put the right string in the .cfg and unlock the shift-click maximise option

I learned about this years after originally playing a bit of the game. I think there is a button combination you can use where it doesn't even require modifying the .cfg. Saves a lot of time, though I usually feel guilty and lower some stats to make things more reasonable afterwards.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »

also yep

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    You cheating bastards.

b1ehrMM.gif
    I played a legit roll my first time through and now I don't care

gonna play all 18's

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 have a lot of content. I wonder how long an undertaking like that would take.
    Really thinking about it, a updated version might be viable for porting over as a downloadable title on handhelds and consoles.

I'd play BG on a vita or a xbox.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
    edited March 2012
    I can tell you from experience that if you know what you're doing you can play through BG1, BG2 and ToB in about a hundred hours

that's a pretty breakneck speed though

and the only companion quests I did in BG2 were for the people I actually took through the game with me (except I took Valygar with me to the planar sphere, but I think he has something else that happens if you keep him with you afterwards)

Shorty on
    edited March 2012
    I hope they don't balance the game too much. Some of the classes are truly awful and could use improving, but the truly brokenly good stuff should stay broken. It's part of the charm of the series to be able to no-death solo the entire game series as a wild mage if you know how to play it!

Cilla Black on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I think in the game I started on my netbook I went fighter/mage. I had managed to roll some unholy lucky stats - I did a look up once and worked out that you could hit re-roll for about 10 years without having that many 18's again.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    you don't even need a perfect stat roll, because wisdom is useless for almost everyone and charisma is useless for absolutely everyone (except maybe paladins? not like I'd know)

18 strength, con and dex, 16 intelligence for everyone

thenews.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    You cheating bastards.

I definitely got hooked on Ctrl-J when dealing with the pathfinding issues.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    by the end of tob I was sitting at obscene stats anyway. 21 str, 22 dex, 21 con, 11 int, 19 wis, 20 cha. wisdom affects your saving throws so you definitely don't want to neglect it.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    yeah, stat tomes from BG1 + lum the mad's machine + end of SoA stat bonuses + stat boosting items makes for some huge bonuses

Brolo on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    plus BG1 tomes

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    okay so

I downloaded bg2

I OWN bg1 but do I need to play it?

Keep rolling characters and getting dunked outside of candlekeep.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Do you mean for the story or what? Cause I wouldn't say the story is that neccessary, they sum it up pretty well in BG2's intro.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    yeah, story is what I'm interested in

Think I'll just go back after (maybe?) beating BG2

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    After some thinking

yeah, I'm totally gonna buy this remastered thing

catch the BG train that I missed all those years ago

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Get both, mod them together, set difficulty to ridiculously easy.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    BGTutu is amazing, yeah

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Any word on when this is planned to be released?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    just "summer 2012"

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    yeah, story is what I'm interested in

Think I'll just go back after (maybe?) beating BG2

If you're gonna play BG1, you might want to do it first.

Because it's kinda hard to go back to 1 once you've gone through the epicness that is 2. It's not terrible, but you've pretty much already had all the plot twists (what few there are) spoiled.

Plus Jon Irenicus is just the bestest villain. Sarevok's a surprisingly smart villain, but he's pretty small time compared to 3 minutes of Irenicus

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    okay so

I downloaded bg2

I OWN bg1 but do I need to play it?

Keep rolling characters and getting dunked outside of candlekeep.

I would for sure say play BG1 first. Make yourself a character in candlekeep, and play straight on through.

Some people find the story telling in BG1 to be tighter and more logical. BG2 has the better game engine, but only very slightly. And i'd bet that some of the npcs wouldn't fare as well if you skipped BG1.

If you get tutu then you've got the exact same game engine.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    What's Baldur's Gate gaemplay like? They were before the time of my gaming career.

Every played Dragon Age 1? Combat is somewhat similar. It happens in real time, but you're able to pause the game any time to like to queue up spells and abilities and whathaveyou with an isometric view.

Cool! I can dig that.

edited March 2012
    Oh nooooooo multiple units! I am terrible at those games.

I mean, I guess I should have expected that...but bleh :/

godmode on
    God

they can do so much good to that inferace

proper mouseover tooltips for enemies and abilities

an easier to navigate UI

watching that video... so many things that I really hope they improve upon

edited March 2012
    inventories.

so much time wasted on inventories.

TheStig on
    godmode wrote: »
    Oh nooooooo multiple units! I am terrible at those games.

I mean, I guess I should have expected that...but bleh :/

It's not really bad. The ability to pause makes a huge difference. It's not like an RTS where you're struggling to micro and macro manage as quickly and efficiently as possible. You're 100% able to keep the game paused while surveying the map, picking exactly what each unit does entirely at your own leisure. Things go crazy when you snap back into real time, but you can just pause again at will to work things out.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah, really people have been building off of the infinity engine's gameplay style for like more than a decade now. It's pretty intuitive if you've played many other RPGs.

The hard part is learning all the little weirdnesses with the controls, and what all the spells do, and how to get freaking backstab to work, and how to manage your party's pathfinding.

It's really aged pretty well, though.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I always have trouble getting into these games because I can never pick what class to play

so instead i don't play it

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    The class guide on gamefaqs is amazing. DSimpson is a golden god.

The answer is wildmage