As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I've got vacuumed into the Banshee's insta-kill like 2 times today.

I was angry.

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hey, so, I accidentally hit the multiplayer option. For like two seconds. And now my war readiness is at 0%. How can I, you know, at least have my default 50% back?

yalborap on
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    @Renegade Wolf found out that you can resurrect people when they are in the middle of the banshees instant kill
    many laughs were had

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    @Renegade Wolf found out that you can resurrect people when they are in the middle of the banshees instant kill
    many laughs were had

Wait...how do you do this?

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    that might have happened to me earlier

got grabbed, somehow resurrected and ended up at a respawn point

i was confused

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    wilting wrote: »
    wilting wrote: »
    A suicide mission version of the end: http://h9.abload.de/img/jhtqyrqxxg.jpg Spoilers, obviously.

That's pretty good, but I don't like:

How it removes the synthesis ending, and makes destruction of the mass relays contingent on some vague 'mistake' by Shepard if wounded. Relay destruction is part and parcel of using the crucible.

It should remove it
    Saren suggested Synthesis was the ultimate evolution in Mass Effect and he was wrong then, and Shepard told him so. Because the Synthesis that he wanted, just like the synthesis that the Catalyst is suggesting, is based on the Reapers and that is entirely counter to everything Shepard has worked for. That he'd accept it now, or it be somehow the "right" course of action is absurd and contrary to the internal lore of the series.

The entire Synthesis ending is terrible, out of place, and contradicts what has come before in the series.

Except it clearly isn't like that at all.

It isn't on the Reapers terms, it is a new paradigm only made possible by the Crucible. It is clearly a positive ending - one that enables Shepard to break the cycle - which it isn't clear control would - and is thematic culmination of making peace between the Geth/Quarians and the EDI/Joker relationship. A third way. Does it turn everybody into husks? No, it does not. Does it lead to robot sexy times? Yes, it does.

Too bad it's thematically inappropriate. And also stupid.
    neutral green choice has no place in mass effect at all. Also space magic is dumb.

The Adam and Evi implications are brain melting.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Zzulu wrote: »
    you can do him if you want

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-4gsKbBLrI

:winky:

I think the game thinks I'm gay since I've been pretty neutral to all the females I've met so far, even though I did get jiggy with Miranda on the floor of the engine room in ME2. Then when I was talking to Kaiden in the hospital, I was being really nice and supportive to him, but thats because the guy almost died under my command.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Matrias wrote: »
    The Adam and Evi implications are brain melting.
    I think you mean Adam and EDI

Orca on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    yalborap wrote: »
    Hey, so, I accidentally hit the multiplayer option. For like two seconds. And now my war readiness is at 0%. How can I, you know, at least have my default 50% back?

I think there is just a bug that makes it show up that way sometimes, I don't think it can actually go under 50%. Mine showed up as 0% for a while but a few missions later and it was back to 50%.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Why the shit is Kaidan bi but Ashley not.
    Religious. Apparently even in the far future, god hates fags.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    or she could just not be bisexual

PNk1Ml4.png
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular

Not everyone is bisexual?

I think you broke my spoiler tag @orca

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Ending spoiler:
    I got the FOX News ending: I had every kind of possible sex you can imagine, in any position you can think of.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    many laughs were had

Wait...how do you do this?

After the banshee picks people up they get knocked out but they don't die until it actually sticks its arm through them

and I was able to revive someone in that window just before he got properly killed

got to try it again to see if it wasn't just a one off glitch that we ran into

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    fixed. Thanks.

-Tal wrote: »
    or she could just not be bisexual
    But then i can't pretend she is still small minded and racist and has interesting character flaws.

• eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    So I was working on a new FemShep face based on a specific person. Didn't come out exactly as I wanted but I think I'm going to run with it.

Critiques?

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    I keep hearing fantastic things about biotic kabooms, but I keep not seeing awesome chunks of health going off scary things when I do it with my sentinel. I've done the warp/throw thing over and over and over and over and over on Atlases, slowly whittling them down while my team does something, hopefully productive, elsewhere.

I mean, everything around them dies. That's cool, don't get me wrong. Those explosions are like whoah to them little guys.

Its possible that I'm just going prematurely senile and/or suffer from huge gun envy.

Take all the power/force upgrades in your generic damage tree. Take the biotic explosion increases in your biotics. Take the warp 15% power damage one, I think (pretty sure it helps, just started using it)

A single detonation like that should result in a 30% health ravager. Atlases are harder targets during shields, but should drop like rocks in armor (20-30%/combo)

This should also result in Throw still oneshotting most things that lack shields/armor/barriers. Seems 50/50 to me, depends on what they fly into/how hard. Throw is awesome, it's the carnifex of biotic power spam.

Lemming wrote: »

Right, but why did they change Kaidan and not Ashley?

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular

Because I'm pretty sure Kaidan was meant to be bi in ME1 but they changed it late in development

and because they are different characters?

• MelokuMeloku Ask me about my Illusions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm so sad I'll never meet Padok Wiks in one of my games

(Post Sur'Kesh)

Meloku on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    oh my god

return of gape-mouthed salarian

s7Imn5J.png
    edited March 2012

I think it would have been out of character change for her, based on what she was in ME1.

Ie, racsist and religious.

Matrias on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular

I think it would have been out of character change for her, based on what she was in ME1.

Ie, a dark stain inside of a smoking crater.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    At some point, I am going to try this game with a completely clean save. I'd kind of like to see what it's like to play without any of the specific story levers pulled.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • htmhtm Registered User regular

Is there anything that suggests Kaidan is actually bi? I mean... he's bi in the meta-gaming sense, but in DudeShep's story, he might have been gay all along and in FemShep's, straight.
    Also, Vega is apparently only straight, which is amazing to me. They missed a huge opportunity by doing that.

Kaidan and Ashley should have been romance-able by either gender (which is not the same as bi), and Vega only gay.

Ie, racist and religious.
    She wasn't racist. She didn't like aliens, but given her family history that's completely understandable. As for being religious, not all religions have issues with homosexuality, and some that do have many tolerant adherents.

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    these consistent hard-lock crashes are killing my multiplayer boner

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Meloku wrote: »

(Post Sur'Kesh)

this is incredible

PNk1Ml4.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    I don't think this has been posted here. To pour fuel on the ending fire, Brent Knowles, a former BioWare designer for BG2, NWN, and DA:O, criticizes the ending here (you have to load a few more pages of comments to get to it. The interesting part his commentary about the ending, not why Day 1 DLC is bad).

Spoiler'd for length, not actual spoilers. He mentions no plot details of ME3. His criticisms are entirely about meta-aspects of the ending.
    I read one recent blog post where the writer basically said "the ending was awesome because it was just like a movie" and I think she was missing the point.

It is a game. Not a movie.

And more specifically, its a role-playing game. The players are *part* of the game. Part of the process of building and experiencing the game, much more so than with most other forms of entertainment.

Entitlement is really a right, for the gamer, because they have participated, actively, in the game itself.

Again, I can't speak to the actual ending myself, because I have not played it but in generally I'd say a Role-Playing Video Game Trilogy Ending should (try to) do the following:

1. Reward the player's choices throughout the series. The big stuff they did should be noted. They should *feel* like they had a unique impact on the world.

2. End on a positive note. This is really important for video games... life in general is full of shitty stuff happening all the time. When I invest a hundred hours into a game I need to walk away feeling like a hero.

When you waste a couple hours of a person's life with an artsy/depressing movie or short story or even a novel, it is more forgivable because the time spent is less. And presumably the consumer knew what they were going into when they started. Certain directors create certain styles of movie. Certain writers write specific types of fiction.

On the other hand somebody playing an epic role-playing video-game trilogy is going to *expect* to be the hero and save the universe. That's why they are playing the game. When expectations don't match reality, disappointment is created.

It might be an artistic/creative move to go with a different style of ending but I feel its the wrong choice, especially for a videogame *trilogy*. Make your middle game bleak if you want to, but end the series on a high note.

I think his ideas on proper endings articulate why people are so disappointed with ME3's ending. Certainly, the ending he wrote for DA:O was a lot more satisfying.

He also explicitly advances the idea that players are entitled to the ending they want. Very direct contradiction of the PA strip from yesterday.

i can't stress just how much his second point is so so so so so correct

edited March 2012

(Post Sur'Kesh)

this is incredible

I wonder if Taky's name being Patrick Weekes has any relation to that...>_>

Dragkonias on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    ME2's suicide mission had results for Failsheps who didn't do all the loyalty missions, made dumb choices about assigning roles in the final mission. It had good results for SuccessfulSheps who did all the right things, were 100% prepared, and made good choices. And varying degrees of Fail or Successful in between those two extremes.

ME3 does not offer that. Every ending is essentially failshep. And its fucking retarded.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

(Post Sur'Kesh)

this is incredible

Yes, but not in the way you think.

chiasaur11 wrote: »

(Post Sur'Kesh)

this is incredible

Yes, but not in the way you think.

How do you mean?

• Quaglar The IVQuaglar The IV Registered User regular
    I loooooooove my Salarian Infiltrator. I went w/ extra damage while cloaked and use a power while staying cloaked.

Charge my Geth Shotgun, cloak, fire (still cloaked), energy drain (still cloaked), then either I shoot a single shot or wait for my energy drain to cool down and use if again before my cloak runs out.
    Should I get extra Damage for Energy Drain or the 40% damage reduction?

For some reason sometimes when my cloak ends and I try to use if right when it cools down, I'll cloak and then immediately uncloak and I have to wait for it to cool down again. It's super annoying.

That's a bug. Sometimes you won't decloak when you're suppose to.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    htm wrote: »
    I don't think this has been posted here. To pour fuel on the ending fire, Brent Knowles, a former BioWare designer for BG2, NWN, and DA:O, criticizes the ending here (you have to load a few more pages of comments to get to it. The interesting part his commentary about the ending, not why Day 1 DLC is bad).

Spoiler'd for length, not actual spoilers. He mentions no plot details of ME3. His criticisms are entirely about meta-aspects of the ending.
    I read one recent blog post where the writer basically said "the ending was awesome because it was just like a movie" and I think she was missing the point.

It is a game. Not a movie.

And more specifically, its a role-playing game. The players are *part* of the game. Part of the process of building and experiencing the game, much more so than with most other forms of entertainment.

Entitlement is really a right, for the gamer, because they have participated, actively, in the game itself.

Again, I can't speak to the actual ending myself, because I have not played it but in generally I'd say a Role-Playing Video Game Trilogy Ending should (try to) do the following:

1. Reward the player's choices throughout the series. The big stuff they did should be noted. They should *feel* like they had a unique impact on the world.

2. End on a positive note. This is really important for video games... life in general is full of shitty stuff happening all the time. When I invest a hundred hours into a game I need to walk away feeling like a hero.

When you waste a couple hours of a person's life with an artsy/depressing movie or short story or even a novel, it is more forgivable because the time spent is less. And presumably the consumer knew what they were going into when they started. Certain directors create certain styles of movie. Certain writers write specific types of fiction.

On the other hand somebody playing an epic role-playing video-game trilogy is going to *expect* to be the hero and save the universe. That's why they are playing the game. When expectations don't match reality, disappointment is created.

It might be an artistic/creative move to go with a different style of ending but I feel its the wrong choice, especially for a videogame *trilogy*. Make your middle game bleak if you want to, but end the series on a high note.

I think his ideas on proper endings articulate why people are so disappointed with ME3's ending. Certainly, the ending he wrote for DA:O was a lot more satisfying.

He also explicitly advances the idea that players are entitled to the ending they want. Very direct contradiction of the PA strip from yesterday.

i can't stress just how much his second point is so so so so so correct

Personally, I am actually not that enthused with his arguments at all.
    Firstly, there is no requirement at all to have a "Happy Ending", regardless of the amount of hours invested in the game. This is missing the point, because you could have an ending that features sacrifice and heroism - in fact these are concepts that often go hand in hand. People who expect everything to have an ultimate best ending with Shepard living happily ever after, are probably just as wrong as Casey was writing his "I want speculation" ending.

No, what really matters in the ending of a game like this is that it takes into account the choices that you made throughout the game. If I am a giant space dickhead who has backstabbed my allies, done anything it took to win (which meant alienating a lot of folks) and such forth - my ending should reflect that. I've stated so many times that I feel the perfect Renegade ending to ME3 would be embodied by Shepard and Anderson dying together on the citadel after firing the crucible. The Paragon ending maybe could have Shepard survive or even be entirely different in tone - it doesn't really matter much to me. So long as it reflects the choices and consequences of hundreds of hours of gameplay - it is a satisfying ending for a roleplaying game.

The current ending does none of this. The choices don't reflect what you've done, they're illogical (one is effectively "Space Jesus!", the ending is clearly half-assed, it has huge plot holes, it makes your companions who you have spent 3 games fostering relationships with to be cowards who fled the battlefield and many more problems. It's a terrible ending not because of an expectation there is a "Happy ending" that should be there that isn't, but because it's illogical and poor by the standard of the rest of the game. The ending also makes many - if not all in some cases - of your choices utterly irrelevant, removing any kind of feeling of consequences for the decisions you made in ME3. That's the worst kind of RPG ending.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Regarding the Ending:
    I would have been fine if the ending was just Anderson and Shepard sitting together, slowly bleeding out, and then the wide shot of the Citadel opening - it could have been the same ending for everyone, but it would have been better all-around than having the choice of disconnected endings that remove all emotional catharsis that I'm sure everyone was feeling up until the elevator.

This discussion has been closed.