As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The ending
    is poop from a butt, and makes me want to put all 3 games in a box in my basement and never play them, or any other BioWare game, ever again.

I wouldn't say it makes me want to avoid all Bioware games. In fact I'm thinking about playing through Dragon Age 1 and 2 again.

But it certainly sours the taste of repeated Mass Effect playthroughs - which is something I did 10+ times with ME2.

• Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    The ending
    is poop from a butt, and makes me want to put all 3 games in a box in my basement and never play them, or any other BioWare game, ever again.

I wouldn't say it makes me want to avoid all Bioware games. In fact I'm thinking about playing through Dragon Age 1 and 2 again.

But it certainly sours the taste of repeated Mass Effect playthroughs - which is something I did 10+ times with ME2.

Oh I should have clarified with "future" BioWare games. As in
    BioWare died to me 10 minutes from the end of ME3. I played the shit out of ME2, was so looking forward to taking about 3-4 Sheps through ME3... and now all desire to touch any ME game is completely gone. And this is from a BioWare fanboy who defended almost every aspect of Dragon Age 2.

steam_sig.png
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    My assumption has always been that Catalyst is about as trustworthy as TIM. He gives pieces of the truth mixed with lies to make the lie stronger. He believes in his own ideas and would use Shepard to accomplish them if he could. And like TIM, he is also probably insane. For me, Destroy is the only option.

Word.
    Destroy 4 lyfe, aka the Anderson ending over TIM and Saren endings. I don't know why anyone (let alone Shepard) trusts a reaper brain in the first place.

Also, what is with it saying it won't after saying it can't?

s7Imn5J.png
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    My assumption has always been that Catalyst is about as trustworthy as TIM. He gives pieces of the truth mixed with lies to make the lie stronger. He believes in his own ideas and would use Shepard to accomplish them if he could. And like TIM, he is also probably insane. For me, Destroy is the only option.

Word.
    Destroy 4 lyfe, aka the Anderson ending over TIM and Saren endings. I don't know why anyone (let alone Shepard) trusts a reaper brain in the first place.

Also, what is with it saying it won't after saying it can't?
    I didn't even hesitate before taking that ending

I was pretty angry at the reapers for getting Anderson killed as well as all my friends on the Citadel they had just slaughtered like Bailey

then the starchild spewed out this load of bullshit about how the reapers were actually great but I blew them up anyway because why the hell should i trust you

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The ending

BioWare died to me 10 minutes from the end of ME3. I played the shit out of ME2, was so looking forward to taking about 3-4 Sheps through ME3... and now all desire to touch any ME game is completely gone. And this is from a BioWare fanboy who defended almost every aspect of Dragon Age 2.

Yeah I hated DA2 but it didn't make me feel bitter or antagonistic to Bioware at all - just a bunch of different design decisions I didn't like combined with too little cooking. The ending to ME3 has left me feeling like I don't want to bother being "invested" in any of Biowares games again. Even if the feeling is utterly irrational (because ME3 was a truly great game in every single aspect that mattered before the end), I can understand where your perspective comes from because I share it as well.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    Meloku wrote: »
    I'm so sad I'll never meet Padok Wiks in one of my games

(Post Sur'Kesh)

this is incredible

I wonder if Taky's name being Patrick Weekes has any relation to that...>_>
    Yes, but not in the way you think.

How do you mean?

Someone else named the character, knowing everyone would assume some lad named Patrick did it himself.

Possibly, a Salarian spectre.

• Quaglar The IVQuaglar The IV Registered User regular
    The ending

That's quite a reaction Captain.

I thought I would finish my femshep in 2 and then jump right into 3 again after I beat it, but the ending made me hold off on that. I just don't have an awesome ending that I can look forward too.

I still want to finish Dragon Age which I got probably 90% through and just stopped playing for no real reason a year or two ago and I will check out future Bioware games if they look interesting and continue play ME3 MP because it's way fun and the ending can't change this.
    I'd also say a better description is poop in a cake.
    Where that poop came from, a butt or otherwise, is not for us to ever know.

What is with this forums obsession with poop cakes? It's like you've all had incredibly traumatic birthday party experiences.

• Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The ending

Yeah I hated DA2 but it didn't make me feel bitter or antagonistic to Bioware at all - just a bunch of different design decisions I didn't like combined with too little cooking. The ending to ME3 has left me feeling like I don't want to bother being "invested" in any of Biowares games again. Even if the feeling is utterly irrational (because ME3 was a truly great game in every single aspect that mattered before the end), I can understand where your perspective comes from because I share it as well.

It's sad because
    until the last 10 minutes, ME3 is my favorite BioWare game of all time. It finally toppled Baldur's Gate II. And then in the last 10 minutes, they destroyed the universe I've been emotionally invested in for 5 years. It seems silly to talk about a video game this way, but I cared about these characters, and the endings are spitting in my face.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
    I just think that description is wonderful ansd hilarious.

"Oh, what is this? Delicious cake? Oh, yea it is! Man, this cake is sooooooo good. This is probably the best cake I ever had. It's better than that cake I had a couple years ago and the cake a couple years before that. How can this cake get any better?! Wait... What is this? POOP!!!! WHY THE FUCK IS THERE POOP IN MY CAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!?!"

• Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    This is my favourate one out of all the ones I've seen
    imagine you meet the love of your life, they're amazing and you have the best fun together. You match on so many levels. It feels like you have this incredible connection to them that you'd never want to give up. Years pass. You go through college together, you get jobs you have kids. You raise those kids the best you can and with good spirits send them into the world and hope that they'll be great little people too. You start to think about yourself a little more and the end of your career. You settle down a bit more, take some time just you and your perfect partner away from the world. Those twilight years are amazing. On your deathbed, you're just about die and your love leans closer into you, as the lights start to fade and you feel yourself slowly slipping into the blissful non existence after a life well lived, your partner straddles you on the bed and starts letting out the most explosive diarrhea, all over you, over your face, in your mouth. You die, at that final moment, suffocated in shit and confusion.

That's how the ending made me feel

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    i-dfFJj7N-X2.jpg

Wrex always was such a practical joker...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Klyka, you were right. It is hilarious reading these reactions.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    edited March 2012
    That sure is, um, that sure is something Dox. Where the hell did you find that?

Aegeri on
  • JackKieserJackKieser Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Dox, that description literally had me rolling around in laughter. Specifically, about how true it is.

Balanced-Brawl-Sig-2.gif?t=1271711610
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    wilting wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the ending is thematically sound, it is just that the implementation could be better.

The ending doesn't even make any sense on its own terms.
    1. Reapers are the solution, not the problem. The Catalyst basically insists that the entire purpose of the Reapers is to address the greater problem of synthetic holocaust. Yet we are give no real time to ponder re-frame our state of mind onto the greater picture. Worse, the three solutions provided don't do anything to address the greater problem, it only focuses on the getting rid of the Reapers. So you beat the Reapers, but the game made that victory over the Reapers irrelevant at best, disastrous at worst.

2. Shepard dies. This isn't a problem in itself. Except that Shepard is the only person in the galaxy who knows that the cycle of synthetic holocaust is something that has repeated itself throughout all of history, and is the only reason for the Reapers to exist. Repeat: We are told that this problem is inevitable, and Shepard isn't alive to try to do anything about it. So we have absolutely no reason to believe this won't still happen. He basically says that organics will find a way, even though he won't be there to stop it, and even though this has never been true in all of history.

3. The council is made up of morons. Which means that even if the holocaust can be avoided, it's really doubtful that they would be smart enough to do so. There is just too much stupidity in this game for me to feel comfortable for this universe. The Asari leader who didn't bother to notify anyone about the Prothean beacon on her home world until long after it was way too late. Outside the council, the Quarians decide this is a great time to go to war against the Geth, even though they know the Geth want to find the Reapers.

4. Shepard lives. The only scenario where Shepard can survive to warn everyone about going to war with synthetics is the one where he commits genocide on every synthetic in the galaxy. That's, um... thematically inconsistent, to say the least.

5. The Mass Relays are dead. Other people have discussed the immediate implications, but there are other implications as well. The Relays being dead means that new races will develop in isolation and without the guidance of other races, increasing the chance that one of them will create rogue AIs.

6. Synthesis ending makes no sense. I don't know what it even means. It's not something I can relate to. But the main problem is that it doesn't actually address the underlying conflict of why organics and synthetics go to war. It is not thematically sound, at all, because it misses the entire point. There's also this:

Cat: Why not? Synthetics are already apart of you. Can you imagine your life without them?
    Shep: And there will be peace?

Notice how Shepard avoids the question, because of how stupid it is. But the answer should have been, "Yes, I really could imagine life without them, because I didn't even realize I was brought back with Reaper technology until recently."

The ending just doesn't work, on any level. It's doesn't simply fail to live up to the hype of the game, it even fails on its own terms. It simply wasn't well thought out, period.

BTW, one thing I don't understand is how Shepard didn't have any video feed of any of the Reaper ships he visited to use as evidence. I mean, hell, he had a Geth standing right next to him who could presumably record everything to his memory banks. And we know from the first game that Geth memory banks are admissible evidence. Alternatively, the Omnitools have a holographic projector, but no video camera? On a mission where they would want to collect as much data as possible?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQnBLLeyui8

"Look, even if you morons still insist that this is all Geth technology, doesn't the fact that the Geth can create shit like this still warrant some sort of action? Also, we have DNA evidence that the Collectors are actually Prothean. Do you think the Geth can travel 50,000 years back in time now?"

Schrodinger on
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    You know, I can't decide whether my favorite moment is
    Shepard going toe to toe with a Reaper with an orbital bombardment laser or "There's a Reaper in my way, Wrex!"

but both are great moments in a sea of great moments.

• BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    I missed you Dox.

So much

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
    Kamar wrote: »
    Shepard going toe to toe with a Reaper with an orbital bombardment laser or "There's a Reaper in my way, Wrex!"

I am pretty sure my favourite is
    shooting bottles with Garrus

Mine was:
    Having Tali stab the Geth VI in the back on Rannoch after preventing it from uploading the reaper code to the Geth fleet - then watching the Quarian fleet exterminate the geth (which is a pretty powerful cutscene I must say).

Mine is the
    Renegade interrupt on Rannoch
    TELL YOUR FRIENDS WE'RE COMING FOR THEM
    -ORBITAL BOMBARDMENT-
    NEVERMIND, I'LL TELL THEM MYSELF

I was expecting the rift to Won't get fooled again to start playing
    it was just the most amazingly 8-) in the game

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Welp got the Reaper on Silver done, had to do it with pubs, though, since everyone's games were full up when I tried to join (you guys suck). Surprisingly, only took two group changes to get a group that could do it. Admittedly, I had an awesome infiltrator whose sole purpose was reviving our two squadmates and hacking nodes, while I played my Asari Adept and ended up with triple the score of the next guy. Was tense at the evac.

Are you the magic man?
  • mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Quick question. I haven't touched any of the dlc for ME2. Will ME3 fill me in on what I missed, or would I be better off purchasing the dlc's before starting 3?

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
    I got mine with a level 9 Drell Adept, after several hours of failing to achieve it with my level 20 soldier.

I am willing to take an important message from that.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Is the message WEEWOOWEEOWEOEOWOWEWOEOWEO REAVEEEEEE?

Are you the magic man?
    Frei wrote: »
    Welp got the Reaper on Silver done, had to do it with pubs, though, since everyone's games were full up when I tried to join (you guys suck). Surprisingly, only took two group changes to get a group that could do it. Admittedly, I had an awesome infiltrator whose sole purpose was reviving our two squadmates and hacking nodes, while I played my Asari Adept and ended up with triple the score of the next guy. Was tense at the evac.

I did it on that really close quarters lab map

that gets pretty hectic with brutes and banshees everywhere

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

Mine was:
    Having Tali stab the Geth VI in the back on Rannoch after preventing it from uploading the reaper code to the Geth fleet - then watching the Quarian fleet exterminate the geth (which is a pretty powerful cutscene I must say).
    Is a Geth VI what you get if Legion died in ME2, or do you mean Legion?

mosssnack wrote: »
    Quick question. I haven't touched any of the dlc for ME2. Will ME3 fill me in on what I missed, or would I be better off purchasing the dlc's before starting 3?

Its referenced - but I wouldn't say it fills you in.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    as scarey and intimidating as brutes and banshees are...

the real culprits are filthy cannibals, marauders, and ravagers.

Everyone is so focused on the tanks they dont notice that 90% of the time, its some little brat that wings you and drops you. If your smart, the banshees and brutes cant touch you. but a cannibal will drop a grenade on you, or plink your armor with a stray bullet.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN

After getting my Adept to level 20 via my Drell this noise haunts my dreams

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I always go with destroy, it just makes the most sense.
    Starchild is lying his fucking ass off when he says the Geth will be destroyed. He straight implies that Shepard will die too, but destroy is the only ending in which he lives. So reverse logic dictates that maybe the Geth will also live.

He says Shepard/Geth will die, but he doesn't know. Starchild is just trying to manipulate you.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I am having alot of fun right now playing as an adept with a heavy pistol... just *stasis* *BANG* *head explodes*

Only played it on bronze so far... but still, so much fun.

Speaking of multiplayer... Has anyone else 'lost' credits? i just went into a game with around 31k, after a match finished i had 21k (even though i got 15k in the match).

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    What is with this forums obsession with poop cakes? It's like you've all had incredibly traumatic birthday party experiences.

Because as an analogy it makes them feel better about the fact that ME3 has DESTROYED ALL THEIR ENJOYMENT and they now exist as joyless shells, unable to ever enjoy a Mass Effect game again.

Because, what maniac would ever eat poop?

I know as for me, I will never be able to masterbate ever again thanks to ME3. Look what you've done Bioware! I HOPE YOU ARE PROUD.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I always go with destroy, it just makes the most sense.
    Starchild is lying his fucking ass off when he says the Geth will be destroyed. He straight implies that Shepard will die too, but destroy is the only ending in which he lives. So reverse logic dictates that maybe the Geth will also live.

He says Shepard/Geth will die, but he doesn't know. Starchild is just trying to manipulate you.

Yeah, this time I'm doing it right.

Also, trying to do insanity NG+. So far, easier than ME2 insanity. And ME3 first time through.

Think that's the result of starting to get back in the groove.

• Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    Dox the PI wrote: »

After getting my Adept to level 20 via my Drell this noise haunts my dreams

After getting my Adept to level 20 on my Drell I've learned to tune it out.

Drells are fun.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Wait, what is this annoying sound?

The future of my erections depend upon it.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Mine was:
    Is a Geth VI what you get if Legion died in ME2, or do you mean Legion?

I believe
    That's what you get it if you never get Legion at all (or don't do his loyalty possibly?). If Legion dies you get Legion Mark II who is Legion with some holographic bits and likes to claim he's not Legion. But he kinda is. But isn't. But is...

Xeddicus on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

This really loud, BZZZZZZOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUBZZZZZZZZZOOOOOUUUUUU.

I think that's the sound reave makes. It never stops.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    Is it just me it does it seem like in silver the hardest objective is the area upload thing where you and your team need to stay in a certain area? It always seems like my team is in the clear and then a bunch a brutes & banshees/ Phantoms & Gaurdians/ Pryos & Primes show up so anyone who tries to stick it out gets creamed while people who try and escape are destroyed by ravagers/ Turrets/ Rocket troopers outside.

I never seem to have a problem killing targets, I mean if all else fails: Rocket launcher. And usually one guy can get all four nodes while everyone else fights stuff... But I've failed so many times on wave 10 of Silver because a Brute sneaks in and kills a guy while everyone is distracted by a Banshee and anyone who tries to get close enough to rez the downed guy in killed.

There's a glitch that when you use Reave as Adept that it will loop the sound forever
    This happens to every player in the game except the host

This discussion has been closed.