As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bastion-Action RPG of the Year

• The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Ah, a fellow pike/musket user? That was the combination I settled into as well, the amount of reach and control over when you fight it gives you is just fantastic.

Are those widely considered the best weapons? I'm curious, haven't really tested the various merits of each of them yet.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I stuck with mortar + musket for most of my second play, there were some enemies it wasn't ideal for (anklegators and jumpy things with shielded heads) but I managed.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Well it was a combo that worked very well for me, though I'm not sure what everyone else used. I'm, pretty late to the Bastion party.

I had the musket configured for max spread and used it mostly for crowd control. The pike was for short-range melee, and thrown for when the musket couldn't reach. I felt the two weapons complimented each other's weaknesses very well.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    I go range/knockback with the musket, and crit on the pike. Pretty much I just roll everywhere, poke for crit, fire musket to knock them away, and keep rolling. The pike can get a pretty crazy inbuilt crit chance.

It's funny, too, because I honestly just did not like the pike at all first time I picked it up. I fell in love with it during the Proving Ground when I realized just how crazy the reach actually was.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I want a Bastion Diablo clone. No I have no idea how that would work.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    What weapons do people feel are underrepresented? I felt so smart going with mortar/flamethrower before realizing that everyone else rolled mortar anyways.

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

Never liked the flamethrower, felt far too vulnerable while using it. Same with the war machete, too much time spent not moving or blocking for it to be effective.

steam_sig.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I used the machete 24/7 though. I don't think any weapon is underrepresented.

• SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    I wanna try out the army carbine. Don't think that weapon really clicked with me the first time.

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    An awesome person bought this for me on Steam, and I am absolutely fucking loving it so far. Holy shit, how did I miss this?

Anyway, I'm not done yet, but I've settled into Carbine/Musket, with the Carbine built for speed and the musket for range/damage. Roll around sniping bitches with powershots, blast packs of squirts/peckers.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    The worst thing about this game is that there is not currently a sequel or prequel available. :|

This was such an awesome little surprise when I found it. Completely rocked my socks. The bits of dialogue describing the alcohol perks alone were better written than anything that you'll find throughout the entire course of a 'AAA' title on the market.

With Love and Courage
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    The worst thing about this game is that there is not currently a sequel or prequel available. :|

This was such an awesome little surprise when I found it. Completely rocked my socks. The bits of dialogue describing the alcohol perks alone were better written than anything that you'll find throughout the entire course of a 'AAA' title on the market.

I think one of the great things about SuperGiant is that they released this game so it could stand alone, without planning any DLC or sequels or anything. As much as I want more Bastion, I am glad they gave us the full package in one go.

I'm excited to see what they come out with next.

Bastion 2: The Boundless Sea. KICKSTART IT

Shimshai wrote: »
    Never liked the flamethrower, felt far too vulnerable while using it. Same with the war machete, too much time spent not moving or blocking for it to be effective.

That's how I felt about the Fang Repeater; being rooted to the ground just felt way too vulnerable.

SkyEye wrote: »
    I wanna try out the army carbine. Don't think that weapon really clicked with me the first time.

Yeah, same. I was messing around with it with some upgrades and it felt a lot better. Don't think it'll supplant the musket, but I do owe it a fair shake.

edited March 2012
    The carbine isn't supposed to supplant the musket. The carbine is basically a sniper rifle or rail gun; single shot that's accurate and powerful over long distances. The musket is crowd control; spread fire with knockback.

Seriously, try using them together, it's amazingly lethal. I've got the carbine rigged for speed, popping off power shots every 2s or so, and the musket for damage with the smaller cone, wiping out small clusters with ease. Squirt lure to keep enemies off you, circle them like an apache, let the bullets fly.

Houn on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    You don't really hear about people using the hammer all that much. I mean, I can't see using anything but the Pike because of how awesome it is.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    I like the power on the hammer. As the difficulty ramps up, I just don't like being up close and personal.

• R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    I used pike/carbine combo it just... fit. Enemies are dead before they can even get close, but I haven't played with all idols activated yet either.

steam_sig.png
    I haven't touched the idols yet. I'm so anti-religion I refuse to acknowledge fictional gods in a video game.

Houn wrote: »
    I haven't touched the idols yet. I'm so anti-religion I refuse to acknowledge fictional gods in a video game.

I have yet to start messing with the difficulty in this game. Maybe I should. I'm in Score Attack after all.

edited March 2012
    Do they affect score earned in score attack mode? I've been playing with most of them on despite all the weapons being reset. It's tough, but much more exciting this way.

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
    Yes they do.

Also I understand Bastion is a stand-alone product but I would love something in the same universe. Anything. A children's book even. I would buy it.

steam_sig.png
    I'd love more music.

steam_sig.png
    R0land1188 wrote: »
    Yes they do.

Also I understand Bastion is a stand-alone product but I would love something in the same universe. Anything. A children's book even. I would buy it.

I'd love some kind of follow-up based on
    Bastion airship ending, the only acceptable ending.

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    The other ending is fine. As long as you play a New Game+ every time you pick it.

I picked the other ending first, so that the New Game+ would make more sense.

steam_sig.png

I played through and picked the good ending. I always feel in any game that the first playthrough should always be the 'true' one and New Game+ is just clean-up.
    I had to, the Kid had nothing before the Calamity, and why would you want to go back to that? He has the Stranger and Zia, and even Zulf (Yes I saved him, I couldn't leave him to die.)

steam_sig.png
    Well the way I figured it,
    going back in time would mean there would be at least a chance that things would turn out differently, (obviously it's not going to happen since it's only a game) as opposed to four people escaping the aftermath of the Calamity.

steam_sig.png
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

You should definitely give it a shot. It ramps up the difficulty but in manageable ways. Like Ninja Gaiden, it beats you into a finely chiseled killing machine.

I played through and picked the good ending. I always feel in any game that the first playthrough should always be the 'true' one and New Game+ is just clean-up.
    I had to, the Kid had nothing before the Calamity, and why would you want to go back to that? He has the Stranger and Zia, and even Zulf (Yes I saved him, I couldn't leave him to die.)

Well...
    The Kid had nothing, sure, but what about all the people who died?! Don't you care about them?

• The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    I used the Hammer. Charged up it does insane damage and armour piercing is just a bonus. I have since converted to the church of the pike but if you want something dead with the minimum of strikes the hammer is a good place to be.

Once I starting using the idols that cause enemies to do damage on contact and drop bombs on death , I stopped using the hammer entirely. The charged attack was basically a suicide move at that point.

steam_sig.png
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Well...
    The Kid had nothing, sure, but what about all the people who died?! Don't you care about them?

But
    There's no guarantee that everything won't just happen all over again. You might just be dooming everyone to an infinite cycle of death.

gjaustin on
    gjaustin wrote: »

Well...

But
    There's no guarantee that everything won't just happen all over gain. You might just be dooming everyone to an infinite cycle of death.

Also
    It is selfish but they are already gone, you aren't killing everyone, that was done by Caelondia. Yes I cared about the people, but they are already dead, and you have to move forward.

steam_sig.png
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular

flamethrower is pretty good fully upgraded with leechade. goes straight through armour too! pretty sure that's the first weapon you can get that will pierce armour unless you're a big nerd that grinded your way to the top upgrades.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular

Well...
    This is pretty much what I thought. A whole bunch of people died in the calamity, maybe I should at least try to save them, even if I didn't see how it would lead to anything but a repeat of the same actions.

The fact that I knew it would fit into a NG+ nicely also helped my decision.

Well...
    This is pretty much what I thought. A whole bunch of people died in the calamity, maybe I should at least try to save them, even if I didn't see how it would lead to anything but a repeat of the same actions.

The fact that I knew it would fit into a NG+ nicely also helped my decision.

I'm with Evacuation.
    With no "the Calamity is finally stopped" ending in sight, Evacuation is the only option for me. I pick that one every time.

edited March 2012

Well...
    What about them? All the Bastion does is reset things exactly to the way they were before the Calamity happened. The exact same thing is going to happen over and over again; the cycle of hatred is going to continue, and the Calamity is going to keep happening. Even if the Kid and Rucks have their memories, who the hell is going to believe them?

No, at the end of the day, Evacuation is the best choice because Restoration has no inbuilt way to break the cycle. Everyone's dead, and everyone's going to keep dying over and over again; might as well just mourn the dead and move on.

If there was any way going back would change things, then it'd be the moral choice, but the designer of the Bastion himself professes that it can't do that, and that the Calamity may very well happen again. Logic dictates that it is going to happen again.

What's more, by constantly reusing the Bastion, you lock the entire world into a temporal loop of endless death and destruction thanks to the actions of the Caeldonians. Is that really moral?

The_Tuninator on

Well...
    What about them? All the Bastion does is reset things exactly to the way they were before the Calamity happened. The exact same thing is going to happen over and over again; the cycle of hatred is going to continue, and the Calamity is going to keep happening. Even if the Kid and Rucks have their memories, who the hell is going to believe them?

No, at the end of the day, Evacuation is the best choice because Restoration has no inbuilt way to break the cycle. Everyone's dead, and everyone's going to keep dying over and over again; might as well just mourn the dead and move on.

If there was any way going back would change things, then it'd be the moral choice, but the designer of the Bastion himself professes that it can't do that, and that the Calamity may very well happen again. Logic dictates that it is going to happen again.

What's more, by constantly reusing the Bastion, you lock the entire world into a temporal loop of endless death and destruction thanks to the actions of the Caeldonians. Is that really moral?
    It's not clear that the Bastion sets everything back exactly though, right? Doesn't Ruck say some stuff like "I think this is a reset button but I'm not 100% sure what happens, I'm not sure if everything will just happen the same way or not?" I thought it was pretty clear that there was at least some chance that maybe, by resetting, you'd be able to avoid everything.

edited March 2012

Well...

It's not clear that the Bastion sets everything back exactly though, right? Doesn't Ruck say some stuff like "I think this is a reset button but I'm not 100% sure what happens, I'm not sure if everything will just happen the same way or not?" I thought it was pretty clear that there was at least some chance that maybe, by resetting, you'd be able to avoid everything.
    There is also a chance that the rest wipes everything out, and that chance may be greater than everything being fixed. Rucks doesn't know what will happen if you rewind time.

Edit'd because broken

R0land1188 on
    steam_sig.png