As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Clearly the best move is griefing your teammates by going into cover when they think you're going to revive them. Had you fooled, sucker! Now watch as I do it again!

Oooh that is one of my favorites too! Im really quite amazing at that.

and you all laughed at me when I was pissed off that Use/Cover/Sprint were the same button on the PC as well as the 360 for no reason when ME2 came around.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    Egos wrote: »
    A bit curious for those who go with Vanguards in mp. How are you guys able to pull it off :D

I've tried a few times and while I don't get killed..I'm hardly contributing as much as I would like.. granted I think one of my problems is I'm sticking with tradition and going with the old shotgun. I've noticed other players (human and asari mainly) going with other weapons (think I've mainly seen heavy pistols and sniper rifles...maybe an AR here and there).

i started out bad as vanguard, but now that i'm 20, the build has clicked and is fine in silver.

i use the nova where you do 40% less damage, but it costs 50% less barrier to use. also, with successful charge, i get 50% more barrier. before getting the ability to spam nova twice, i died a lot more. all i do is charge, spam nova twice, repeat as necessary. that works vs all low level mobs. the key is that spamming nova twice stuns the mobs just long enough that my charge cooldown finishes.

vs bigger threats (pyro, turrets, geth prime, atlas, banshee, etc), i have to decide if it's worth it to engage. usually, it's suicidal, so it's a coin flip.

i'm using the hornet (without ultralight materials, since i dont have it yet). the hornet is not the best weapon ever, but it's way lighter than a shotgun, and my key to surviving is being able to spam biotic charge as much as possible

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I'm never going to get this silver win. Whoever designed the enemy spawns decided to masturbate furiously over the screen starting from wave 7 on. Made it to wave 10 once. It was the one where you gotta activate 4 nodes. Which then proceeded to spawn 2 banshees, 2 brutes, and 3 ravagers on top of it. I decide to go for broke and use that missile launcher thing and instantly kill the brutes and banshees. Then another 2 banshees instantly popped right back in. Yes, this is so very fucking possible to win.

I used the free 2 days of live included with ME3. I also have another free month code standing by. I've a feeling I'm not going to use it, if this is the level of bullshit that can go on in multiplayer.

ROll with some of the Penny Arcade crew here, they will help you get past any level of insane horse shit. What platform are you on?

They've otherwise have been pretty sweet games. Everybody more or less working together. Then the spawn system takes a dump and gives you a virtually unwinnable scenario. How the flying fuck you're supposed to survive and kill that many in that little a time, I have no bloody idea.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Clearly the best move is griefing your teammates by going into cover when they think you're going to revive them. Had you fooled, sucker! Now watch as I do it again!

Oooh that is one of my favorites too! Im really quite amazing at that.

and you all laughed at me when I was pissed off that Use/Cover/Sprint were the same button on the PC as well as the 360 for no reason when ME2 came around.

Not me brother, not me.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'm never going to get this silver win. Whoever designed the enemy spawns decided to masturbate furiously over the screen starting from wave 7 on. Made it to wave 10 once. It was the one where you gotta activate 4 nodes. Which then proceeded to spawn 2 banshees, 2 brutes, and 3 ravagers on top of it. I decide to go for broke and use that missile launcher thing and instantly kill the brutes and banshees. Then another 2 banshees instantly popped right back in. Yes, this is so very fucking possible to win.

I used the free 2 days of live included with ME3. I also have another free month code standing by. I've a feeling I'm not going to use it, if this is the level of bullshit that can go on in multiplayer.

It's very possible to win.

It's nearly impossible to win if your team is made up of idiots or if everyone isn't working together.

Wave 10 can be a real bitch (really all the later waves) on Silver if your team isn't willing to part with Cobra Missiles.

I'm just getting to the point where pug Silvers aren't rage inducingly frustrating but I also have a lot of upgraded weapons/equipment. I can carry 5 missiles into a game and if I'm pugging it rarely do I get out of the mission with any left.

• Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    They key to multiplayer on harder waves is to kite the enemies across the map and not get surrounded. Always have a retreat path open because if you cannot freely run from a Banshee you are screwed.

I find killing the weaker enemies first gives you plenty of space to kite, that and Ravagers need to die asap,

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I've been with some PUG silver groups that just weren't willing to pack up and withdraw, and it would eventually cost us around waves 7-9, when an overwhelming group of enemies would hem us in and rush us. Pretty frustrating to eat it on wave 10 because folks that are otherwise working well together haven't figured out you need to stay mobile or you'll get penned in and killed, but hey, we got that far at least.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Just unlocked the Grall shotgun. Going to play around with that for a bit.

Let me know how that works, I have a level 4 or 5 of it but it's too heavy for my chars. :|

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I realize I'm streets behind everyone else, but I just finished ME3....

Ending spoilers.
    That ending.... That ending.... My god it was horrible. I'd heard people talking about how much they hated the ending, but everything leading up to it was so good that I believed it couldn't really be as bad as people claimed, but no, it was that bad. An idiotic Starchild and color codded explosions, and then, none of your squadmates get any closure, I really wish they'd had a "Where are they now" ending slide. But even that wouldn't make up for the abomination that preceded it.

I would go on, but people have already articulated ( in a better manner than I) why this ending sucks so much.

I do have one last thing to say, Mass Effect 3 is like a submarine sandwich that takes you 50 hours to eat, as each hour goes by you think it can't possibly taste any better... then, you reach your last bite, you think it will be the best bite yet, and you're savoring the moment, because you know that once this bite is gone, that will be it. You take the last bit of the sandwich in your hands, raise it to your mouth, and bite down... right into a jagged shard of glass.

I don't want to throw this thread into turmoil about the ending, but I just had to get that off my chest.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Ad astra wrote: »
    I realize I'm streets behind everyone else, but I just finished ME3....

Ending spoilers.
    That ending.... That ending.... My god it was horrible. I'd heard people talking about how much they hated the ending, but everything leading up to it was so good that I believed it couldn't really be as bad as people claimed, but no, it was that bad. An idiotic Starchild and color codded explosions, and then, none of your squadmates get any closure, I really wish they'd had a "Where are they now" ending slide. But even that wouldn't make up for the abomination that preceded it.

I would go on, but people have already articulated ( in a better manner than I) why this ending sucks so much.

I do have one last thing to say, Mass Effect 3 is like a submarine sandwich that takes you 50 hours to eat, as each hour goes by you think it can't possibly taste any better... then, you reach your last bite, you think it will be the best bite yet, and you're savoring the moment, because you know that once this bite is gone, that will be it. You take the last bit of the sandwich in your hands, raise it to your mouth, and bite down... right into a jagged shard of glass.

or poop

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

ROll with some of the Penny Arcade crew here, they will help you get past any level of insane horse shit. What platform are you on?

They've otherwise have been pretty sweet games. Everybody more or less working together. Then the spawn system takes a dump and gives you a virtually unwinnable scenario. How the flying fuck you're supposed to survive and kill that many in that little a time, I have no bloody idea.

I'm on 360 as well. My Human Adept and Infiltrator have made it through multiple silver rounds this weekend.

But every tiny little thing helps, whether it's starting wave 11 away from the LZ so you can keep it clear and then bolt over there at the very end or just not having people who rush off to do their own thing every wave. Also, I never use medi-gel unless everybody else is already down or I'm about to die. It saves a lot of hassle. I also recommend doing it on firebase dagger so you have room to run around, or in the science lab so explosions hit fifteen or twenty bad guys at once.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    I have a theory but can anyone confirm that Ravages can't shoot you with their red bolts of death if you're right in their fucking face?

As a vanguard I've been like "FUCK it" and just charge them, melee, smash, charge, melee. Switch melee out with nova if we're alone.

• Options
    Inter_d wrote: »
    I have a theory but can anyone confirm that Ravages can't shoot you with their red bolts of death if you're right in their fucking face?

As a vanguard I've been like "FUCK it" and just charge them, melee, smash, charge, melee. Switch melee out with nova if we're alone.

Thats how i dealt with them in SP. Never had any troubles at all with them.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

A few tips when dealing with reapers.

#1: Never fight in that one tiny ass map. Just... don't.
    #2: For the higher waves you can 'bleed' the enemy ranks of elites. There are only a limited number per wave. So yeah, it might seem like the game is spamming you with neigh-unkillable bullet sponges, but you can kill them FIRST and your odds of victory go much higher.
    #3: Focus on Ravagers and Mauraders if you have the space. Kiting Banshees and Brutes is relatively simply, but only if you have room to run without getting torn to pieces.
    #4: Again, survival is more important than quickly finishing objectives. Especially for hacking and node missions it's okay to RUN AWAY if they get swarmed. Again, the enemy has a limited number of elites, and you will rarely run out of time unless it is an assassinate objective.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I just do the chargenovachargenova dance until they fall down, standing right in their face. Both charge and nova seem to stagger them long enough that they never get off a shot, and since charge is off cooldown the second the nova animation is done, winsies. Now, mind, this is on bronze.

dporowski on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I've taken to charging ravagers in multi. It works fairly well and it certainly can end that problem pretty fast.

The swarmers can be troublesome though.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    So you know that phenomenon where if you bitch about something, it instantly fixes itself?

Very next game, we pull off a full extraction silver win. :)

Still got pretty hairy at times, but that actually went off without a hitch.

Urge to kill... lowering.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    I've taken to charging ravagers in multi. It works fairly well and it certainly can end that problem pretty fast.

The swarmers can be troublesome though.

Nah, charge 'em! Once the ravager drops, you nova, which should kill the swarmers, then pop charge at whatever you lined up for your next new friend. If nova didn't get the swarmers, just charge back at the swarmers after.

• Options
    Agent PropagandiAgent Propagandi Registered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    Guys, how do I link up all my old ME2 dlc on BSN with my origin account? I redeemed my ME2 code from the back of the manual but I don't know what to do about the dlc.

The authentication for DLC is tied to your EA account, but the files need to be installed manually. Get the files from here: http://social.bioware.com/user_entitlements.php and install them to where ever you installed the games.

Steam | Origin: AgentProp | Website
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Thats how i dealt with them in SP. Never had any troubles at all with them.

I discovered that 3 melees with my krogan sentinel can destroy them (he is really only upgraded for damage protection, not melee as well). I don't recall them shooting at me, really. The rachni blood could be a bit of an issue if you end up stick around after you've pummeled it to death, but who would sit still when there are still things around left to smash?

Also, I don't know about other difficulties, but krogan sentinel is invincible on bronze. Enemy in front of you? Smash it. Enemy next to you? Turn and SMASH! In trouble? drop some lift grenades. About to die anyway even though you're invincble? Pop your tech armor and saunter away.

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    Guys, how do I link up all my old ME2 dlc on BSN with my origin account? I redeemed my ME2 code from the back of the manual but I don't know what to do about the dlc.

The authentication for DLC is tied to your EA account, but the files need to be installed manually. Get the files from here: http://social.bioware.com/user_entitlements.php and install them to where ever you installed the games.

Ah, I thought they were supposed to show up in Origin, ok thanks.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    This seems to be doing the rounds, but I thought it was an excellent summary:

Though I discovered that it has been tweeted to the @masseffect twitter guys about a billion times already, but I regret nothing sending it to them again.

In other news, when is the N7 weapon for surviving silver being unlocked? And will it be forever stuck at level I because you can't upgrade it from packs (which is something I am wondering about).

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    I got a Scorpion from a pack. So I guess in theory you'd just have to buy a lot of them.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Wait, you got an N7 weapon from a pack? They aren't supposed to be available in packs, you're only meant to get them through this weekends kill one million brute or extract on silver thing.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The Scorpion isn't an N7 weapon, it's the STG pistol.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    The Scorpion isn't an N7 weapon, it's the STG pistol.

Further proof of Salarian superiority.

N7 gear just isn't that good.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    N7 gear just isn't that good.

I haven't tried out the shotgun, so I can't speak for it. The SMG has a lot of kick but spits bullets like nobody's business, I can see it being handy for shield-stripping. The heavy pistol isn't very heavy but it's got a good clip size and can fire really fast, so... eh? The sniper rifle is where it is at. You can't speak ill of it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    this game really wants me to use the raptor

three upgrades in a row from vet packs

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Goddamn the Bioware Social Site/EA Social is such a piece of shit, I forgot my password since the last time I used this unnecessary clutter was in Dragon Age 1, I've tried using the "Forgot Password" option 10 times now, spanning over a week, each time I press the link, make a new password and it goes "OOPS SITE DOES NOT WORK RIGHT NOW, TRY AGAIN LATER"... For a full fucking week? Thrash.

EDIT: I wanted to look at the Social Site's list since I did the Tutorial of Amalur, but never got the Chakram Launcher, I did get the Reckoner Armor though.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The N7 Shotgun is like the third or fourth best shotgun. The Pulse Shotgun is probably the best, especially with higher-end mods.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Wait, you got an N7 weapon from a pack? They aren't supposed to be available in packs, you're only meant to get them through this weekends kill one million brute or extract on silver thing.

idk what to tell you, I haven't done any Silvers and it came up in a spectre pack I bought?

edit: also if you see somebody in your party with a Black Widow, you pretty much know who's going to be in first. that thing is obscene. :o

edit2: Scorpion doesn't have a gold card outline, it has an N7 card outline.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Well it's just unfair to compare the other shotguns to the shotgun you can use to snipe Guardians across the map with.

• Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    The N7 Hurricane is good for teammates who can equip SMGs. And the Valiant is a good alternative to the Mantis.

At least until you get the Black Widow.

"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    the pulse shotgun?

the geth one, or the disciple?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Though I discovered that it has been tweeted to the @masseffect twitter guys about a billion times already, but I regret nothing sending it to them again.

I mostly agree with him, though on some points I don't.
    I'm happy with a real bittersweet ending. Shepard dying is cool with me. Destroying the mass relays especially is something I hope they don't change. Assuming they change anything at all.
    Also I don't think the ending is the worst thing ever, I just think it's mediocre.

By the way, Retake Mass Effect is at 65k.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Goddamn the Bioware Social Site/EA Social is such a piece of shit, I forgot my password since the last time I used this unnecessary clutter was in Dragon Age 1, I've tried using the "Forgot Password" option 10 times now, spanning over a week, each time I press the link, make a new password and it goes "OOPS SITE DOES NOT WORK RIGHT NOW, TRY AGAIN LATER"... For a full fucking week? Thrash.

EDIT: I wanted to look at the Social Site's list since I did the Tutorial of Amalur, but never got the Chakram Launcher, I did get the Reckoner Armor though.

The most common issue that I've seen with the Chakram Launcher is that players got to the end of the demo, but did not play for the full 45 minutes. The 45 minutes is what unlocks the rifle. I got to the end of the demo in like 25 minutes, so I spent 20 minutes just killing guards until I unlocked the Launcher.

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I got the N7 shotgun from a specter pack.

Maaaan. Some fun golds today. I'm amazed we pulled off that one full extraction on Noveria that consisted solely of running around screaming.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »

BSN has the same password as your Origin account.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options

The guy's video is well put-together and he keeps it to a professional level of snarkiness, but like a lot of people he's forgetting

(ending spoilers obviously)
    That FTL travel is still possible without the Mass Relays - it will take a lot longer to travel to other systems but it is not impossible. Galactic society as we know it is changed by this but it's not a death sentence for everyone

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Scorpion isn't an N7 weapon, it's the sticky grenade pistol. That is, there's "N7" weapons and N7 weapons. The former are the N7 rarity and include the weapons that you buy in SP from Spectre Requisitions (Wraith shotgun, Black Widow, Paladin) and a few others, the latter are the actual N7 weapons from the CE except in MP now as a reward for the reaper challenge, i.e. N7 Crusader, N7 Valiant, N7 Hurricane, and N7 Eagle. No one has those until they reward them on Tuesday.

As for being stuck at level 1, if the brute challenge is passed everyone also gets another pack which has all four of them, so combined with the one you get for beating a reaper silver match you could have one at level 2. To level them up further you'd have to wait until another weekend where they will reward these again.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
This discussion has been closed.