As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] PA Deathwatch detachment collaboration project

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Altmann Altsson.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @Trace- just a side note, if you have any leftover terminator bits (bodies, legs, arms) that you don't have plans for I wouldn't mind some. I want to convert some terminator armor into mega nobs some time soon.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    @TraceofToxin

A spare painted SoB to commemorate this glorious event would be a sufficient payment my friend. :D If need be, I'll get one myself for you to paint up.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    @Custom Special - I'll have plenty of extra terminator bits. You want monies or a terminator?!?

@Matev - I can do that. Storm bolter good for you?

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    Changing my duder's name to Nax's interpretation: Alius Vir

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I figured out the name for my dude.

Reus.

It's latin/roman for convicted prisoners. It was also the word used for penitentiary. Plus it sounds pretty cool.

GOT IT LADIES.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @TraceofToxin hurgleburglenurgle....don't know what to do...
    Just send me cash, I need to offset buying paint-y things.

Also, to summon a forumer with a space in their name just put them in quotation marks after the @. So at-symbol"Custom Special" would get my full name in there.

@Custom Special GOT IT BOSS.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Anybody know where I can get just one Raven Guard shoulder pad? I've tried online (obviously) and can't find a store where they're in stock. Ebay is likewise devoid of these rare pieces of ceramite.

Ah-ha! Found one. In Germany! The parts should be here soon from all over the world, I'll have a mock-up done when they do.

Extreaminatus on
    So am I supposed to base my guy? I can do a tech-like base custom for my dude right?

signature.png
  • GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    I figured out the name for my dude.

Reus.

It's latin/roman for convicted prisoners. It was also the word used for penitentiary. Plus it sounds pretty cool.

Also kinda fits your PA alias as well. Nice.

@Altmann The answer to your question is in the OP, and several times in the thread, but to save you time - No, I'm providing all the bases painted by the same person.

Who READS this thread?!!

I just paint my dude.

Ok I'll break him off the custom base I had made for him :P

signature.png
  • OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    woops, forgot to post here.

I found a spare DW shoulder pad, so I should have all the bits I need for the model. I'll work on converting it some more this week. Going try to have the sword pointing forward, bolter at his side. Similar to what my Emperor's Champion is made to have.
    img0363a.jpg

Name I need to think of. Commission, If you have any extra GK halberds, I could use a couple to make some marshals, otherwise just the cash is fine.

• NaileNaile Registered User regular
    @Trace- just a side note, if you have any leftover terminator bits (bodies, legs, arms) that you don't have plans for I wouldn't mind some. I want to convert some terminator armor into mega nobs some time soon.

If you want really badass and cheap Meganobs get the nobs from the AOBR kit and then bulk out the chest and back with some plasticard (use scrap if you can), add some plasticard or any very small tubing on the legs and then bulk out the feet with more card and that's all you really need. You can actually make them look like Termi's if you're smart about it. If you don't like the flat, boxlike look cut up the plasticard into the shape you want and then boil some water. Pour the boiled water into something you don't mind eventually throwing away and then plunk the plasticard in there for a couple seconds. Pull it out and bend into shape. Very easy but very secret trick. If you can't get some plasticard let me know, I've got gobs.

Man I really like these bases, but they don't come in 40mm.

@Ogotai - Was it one of the metal ones with the scrawlwork on it? If not just wait, I want them all to have the same exact shoulderpad.

FOR EVERYONE -

http://dragonforge.com/Painting service/for sale/store directory/round_base_sets.htm

Pick a base you like.

As of right now votes look like this. I'm inclined to do dragonforge because if I combine it with my DE bases I'll get free shipping, but if someone has other awesome bases let me know. I need Iceworld ones for the DE, and DF is the only place I've found that does any in that style.

6 tech deck
    1 goth tech
    1 ice world
    1 trench board
    1 omega prime
    1 flat
    1 objective marker

I've been fucked up at work last few days, OP update is coming soon.

• OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    Ok, I wont fit a pad on that arm then, will wait for the correct one.

edited March 2012
    @Thelawinator - Do you like this head?

@Sharp101 - Do you like this head?

@Dayspring - This shoulderpad. This harness for the heavy bolter (I'll be replacing the beamer with the bolter).

@Absolutezero @Saluksic - Do these shoulderpads look good to you?

@Chrysis - This shoulderpad?

@corporatelogo - This pad?

@Matev - YOU WANT THIS? DO YOU? YES NO? YES NO?

@Ken O - This?

I'm doing an order from CHS and if anyone sees ANY bitz they like in there, LET ME KNOW! I'm doing my bitz orders in like 2 weeks, so I need to know!

How do you guys feel about these for the Terminator DW pads? I can GS over the crosses and make them into =I= symbols.

TraceofToxin on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    @Sharp101 - Do you like this head?

To be honest, I'm not a fan of most of CH's Salamander stuff. That head isn't too great.

I'm sure I'll be able to knock out something badass for you with what I have. I'm going to try and get something together in the next week or so.

Sharp101 on
    I agree, I'm not a huge fan of a lot of their Salamander stuff. A lot of their casts are like older GW stuff, it lacks that super smooth polished look of a refined sculpt. I was just putting them out there for ideas as I cruise bitz sites.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Man I really like these bases, but they don't come in 40mm.

@Ogotai - Was it one of the metal ones with the scrawlwork on it? If not just wait, I want them all to have the same exact shoulderpad.

FOR EVERYONE -

http://dragonforge.com/Painting service/for sale/store directory/round_base_sets.htm

Pick a base you like.

As of right now votes look like this. I'm inclined to do dragonforge because if I combine it with my DE bases I'll get free shipping, but if someone has other awesome bases let me know. I need Iceworld ones for the DE, and DF is the only place I've found that does any in that style.

6 tech deck
    1 goth tech
    1 ice world
    1 trench board
    1 omega prime
    1 flat
    1 objective marker

I've been fucked up at work last few days, OP update is coming soon.

I like quite a few of them. In fact, I'm ordering some of their ancient ruins bases for my own army.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    That's a pretty ambiguous vote broski.

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    @Chrysis - This shoulderpad?

Sure, it'll save me having to freehand the skull. And you don't want to see me try and freehand stuff like that. I might try and play down the pentagram though.

As for bases, Tech Deck sounds fine to me.

And with regard to smashing Xenos, I'm not sure making it a permanent fixture of the model is a good idea. It'll look out of place unless you're playing the right opponent. Although if the pose is right you could magnetise the victim so you can remove him, in which case smashing him in the chest is probably the best pose. I also have a bunch of Eldar parts, so if we do go with a Xenos I can put together and paint an Eldar victim. If they're magnetised you could make a whole set.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    Chrysis wrote: »
    And with regard to smashing Xenos, I'm not sure making it a permanent fixture of the model is a good idea. It'll look out of place unless you're playing the right opponent. Although if the pose is right you could magnetise the victim so you can remove him, in which case smashing him in the chest is probably the best pose. I also have a bunch of Eldar parts, so if we do go with a Xenos I can put together and paint an Eldar victim. If they're magnetised you could make a whole set.

Good point. Magnetizing would take an already involved project and make it pretty excessive, honestly.

I've seen plenty of armies where the models are wrecking X unit, it looks cool regardless of what you're playing, I think. If you prefer it without though, we can definitely adjust fire.

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    That head doesn't have a lower jaw, but if you like it, go for it.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    That head doesn't have a lower jaw, but if you like it, go for it.

I'm asking if you want it. I was just perusing their website and saw it. I can just as easily pick you up something from bitzbarn. http://bitzbarn.com/oscommerce/catalog/images/IMG_7549.JPG if you prefer it.

Tech Deck looks fine.
    Are you shipping models on plain black bases for painting and then popping them onto the good bases once you have everyone back?

Tech Deck looks fine.
    Are you shipping models on plain black bases for painting and then popping them onto the good bases once you have everyone back?

That's the plan. I'll prep the models, test fit them, then send you the bitz so you can paint it however you want. I know some people like to paint the body/legs, then the arms, etc. Some people paint it all at once. You can either assemble it and send it back or paint all the pieces and send it back. Your commission will be in the box when I send it out, so I'm trusting folks aren't gonna snatch up the mini and whatever I send with it, not that it's a whole lot, but it'd really suck for all of us if one dude just dissappeared and we'd have a giant gap in the project and I'd be out the 20-30 bucks I spent on the parts, the comission and the shipping.

Good point. Magnetizing would take an already involved project and make it pretty excessive, honestly.

I've seen plenty of armies where the models are wrecking X unit, it looks cool regardless of what you're playing, I think. If you prefer it without though, we can definitely adjust fire.

Magnetising wouldn't be too hard for something like this, one magnet in the head of the hammer and one in the chest of the victim(s). I also have heaps of magnets, so if you decide you do want something like that I don't mind doing the actual magnetising. We'd just need a Thunder Hammer with a flat face on the business end and a good pose so that he doesn't look out of place with or without victim. Probably something like a horizontal swipe where he's caught someone in the chest/stomach as he charges past. I'm not sure what bits are available for thunderhammers, as I've pretty much dealt solely with Chaos and Eldar. I'll do a little looking and see what's there.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    Magnetising wouldn't be too hard for something like this, one magnet in the head of the hammer and one in the chest of the victim(s). I also have heaps of magnets, so if you decide you do want something like that I don't mind doing the actual magnetising. We'd just need a Thunder Hammer with a flat face on the business end and a good pose so that he doesn't look out of place with or without victim. Probably something like a horizontal swipe where he's caught someone in the chest/stomach as he charges past. I'm not sure what bits are available for thunderhammers, as I've pretty much dealt solely with Chaos and Eldar. I'll do a little looking and see what's there.

I don't know how well the magnet would hold up an entire model. A pin would probably work better. Could have him just swinging the hammer and have them hanging off the end of the hammer like they're getting knocked flying.

I don't know how well the magnet would hold up an entire model. A pin would probably work better. Could have him just swinging the hammer and have them hanging off the end of the hammer like they're getting knocked flying.

That's pretty much the kind of pose I was thinking. The typical slammed in the gut flying backwards with arms and legs forwards sort of "wrapped" around the hammer. A pose kind of like the new Arjac but with the hammer mid swing rather than winding up. You could probably pull it off with the Grey Knights Terminator Daemon hammer.

Good point on the strength. If the victim is light enough it wouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure if a plastic victim would be light enough though. Especially when gravity would be perpendicular to the force of the magnets.

Could put a small pin on the hammer then put holes in the victims and just stick them on it. I still think we'd end up having to do WAY too many models, and just having him smashing an eldar/tau/tyranid would be fine in any situation.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    That shoulder pad is fine for me

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    You're probably right. This is perhaps starting to get a little too involved. It's up to you, it is ultimately your model after all. I wouldn't know where to start with painting Dark Eldar though. Does remind me that I've got some Imperial Guard & Renegade bits though, so there's another possible victim.

I'll mail the model to you and if you want to add someone to the end of the hammer you're more than welcome to.

I'll mail the model to you and if you want to add someone to the end of the hammer you're more than welcome to.

Fair enough. I might do experiments with holding up plastic models. You may find a couple of guys and some extra magnets in the box when it comes back.

On the subject of shipping I just realised we hadn't discussed anything. I understand you were planning to ship internationally, but is shipping to Japan likely to be a problem?

• OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I'm back. Tech deck looks awesome, yo. Go for it.

makosig.jpg

Fair enough. I might do experiments with holding up plastic models. You may find a couple of guys and some extra magnets in the box when it comes back.

On the subject of shipping I just realised we hadn't discussed anything. I understand you were planning to ship internationally, but is shipping to Japan likely to be a problem?

Wouldn't see why it would be? I've shipped internationally before, it's usually like 5-10 bucks. The packages are going to be mucho small.

OtakuD00D wrote: »
    I'm back. Tech deck looks awesome, yo. Go for it.

Do these shoulderpads look good to you?