As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cloverfield (mystery movie trailer in front of transformers)

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    All I got is "Ace 2004" spray-painted on the wall after they turn to run back inside.

Also when the camera turns to see the head crashing down, it's really bad CGI, plus the dark car on the left in near-field doesn't look like a US plate; too many characters. I stopped the Teaser at 1:35.

Lastly, there's some interesting reading on the fridge as he walks past, don't know if anyone's disected that yet?

MichaelLC on
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    august wrote: »
    Eh, I think it's a Lovecraftian apocalypses. Of course he never showed it, but his stuff does rely on the fact that it will happen, we're fucked, and when it does happen it will be so bad we can't even imagine it.

If they get that, it will be a pretty damn disturbing movie.

Oh yeah you could make that movie. It would be a fucking awesome movie too.

The problem is Hollywood will never accept a screenplay in which humanity is enslaved by hideous monsters and raped for all time, and I'm being literal here. If you're going to make that movie, it's going to be really fucked up.

I assume Hollywood is ok with two kinds of Lovecraft adaptations.

A faithful one would be something like At the Mountains of Madness.
    A team of explorers stumble onto some old elder things minions and they just barely manage to contain the fuckers, almost everyone dies. The main character probably sacrifices himself to kill the last beast in an epic scene involving explosives or some kind of Deus ex machina designed to kill all the bad things.

The other one involves Arnold Schwarzenegger uttering something like:

"Ia Ia - Cthulhu fhtagn this" and running in the opposite direction of a shoggoth with a stomach full of explosives in slow motion.

tldr
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    Tekeli-li Tekeli-li!

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    With a small budget I think they might be able to get away with a lot. But hey, who know. It ain't warm and fuzzy so far.

august on
  • ihopiusihopius Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    But the whole premise of a soft-serve drink being evil is just fucking stupid.

'The Frogurt is cursed!'

It kinda works though. Old One cults using man's own tools against them, it's in keeping with the tone of the Mythos. What could be be more innocuous than a Icee? That is, until you start growing fins and gills and hear the whispers of dark gods.

ihopius on
    edited July 2007
    With a small budget I think they might be able to get away with a lot. But hey, who know. It ain't warm and fuzzy so far.

Yeah we'll see, there isn't really enough information to say anything really persuasive one way or the other at this point.
    ihopius wrote: »
    But the whole premise of a soft-serve drink being evil is just fucking stupid.

'The Frogurt is cursed!'

It kinda works though. Old One cults using man's own tools against them, it's in keeping with the tone of the Mythos. What could be be more innocuous than a Icee? That is, until you start growing fins and gills and hear the whispers of dark gods.

I could totally see that being a Simon Pegg and Nick Frostt comedy. I would support that movie.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2007
    yeah i was talking about the first digimon movie... and yes, it was awesome. im going to watch it right now

Unknown User on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    All this talk is making me want an Eternal Darkness movie

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I dont think I've seen it posted here yet, but when the sphere opens up at the end of the game it says "CKROX". There is a ckrox.com, flash based, "more to come" written in it. Possibly related? Visually it didn't look so, untill I viewed the source and found commented placeholders.
    <!--url's used in the movie-->
    <!--text used in the movie-->

redhalo on
    edited July 2007
    redhalo wrote: »
    I dont think I've seen it posted here yet, but when the sphere opens up at the end of the game it says "CKROX". There is a ckrox.com, flash based, "more to come" written in it. Possibly related? Visually it didn't look so, untill I viewed the source and found commented placeholders.
    <!--url's used in the movie-->
    <!--text used in the movie-->

That site is actually kinda creepy, is the tv displaying something or does my monitor suck (it does suck, I can't make out shit)?

EDIT: nvm probably just a reflection.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Eh, I think it's a Lovecraftian apocalypses. Of course he never showed it, but his stuff does rely on the fact that it will happen, we're fucked, and when it does happen it will be so bad we can't even imagine it.

Oh yeah you could make that movie. It would be a fucking awesome movie too.

The problem is Hollywood will never accept a screenplay in which humanity is enslaved by hideous monsters and raped for all time, and I'm being literal here. If you're going to make that movie, it's going to be really fucked up.

But that's the thing - it's what they're doing. Everyone has their theory about this flick, and I'm going to put down that this movie is what happens when the cultists win. We get to watch the aftermath.

What would have happened if Wilbur Whately hadn't been killed at Miskatonic? The Dunwich Horror would have gone loose and eventually hit civilization. Boom, destruction. Sure, Lovecraft wrote about small groups doing things, but they were generally "successful".

This movie is going to be the "oops".

Squashua on
    edited July 2007
    How many movies are really about the "oops"? Honestly, almost every movie ever is about "oops"..."oh it's ok we fixed it". Especially Hollywood movies.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • BlueBaronBlueBaron regular
    edited July 2007
    Couldn't these "roars" just be the beams in all these building being put under too much stress/ripping apart?

BlueBaron on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007

I think anyone who draws lovecraft from this has entirely too active an imagination. You've got an explosion and a weird noise to go on with, plus some bloggy bullshit that nabs random words from a variety of IPs. There are no dots to join at this stage. Some of you are waaaaay too into this thing.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    *GASP* I just noticed on the Apple.com trailer that they are listening to the MSTRKRFT remix of Wolfmother's "Woman"!... I wonder if new hipster house music will have anything to do with HP Lovecraft!

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
    edited July 2007
    The Cat wrote: »

I think anyone who draws lovecraft from this has entirely too active an imagination. You've got an explosion and a weird noise to go on with, plus some bloggy bullshit that nabs random words from a variety of IPs. There are no dots to join at this stage. Some of you are waaaaay too into this thing.

Yes, thank you.

Wikipedia says:

"A Paramount spokesperson said that the studio was unfamiliar with the URL of the Ethan Haas Was Right website." but their source is dubious.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • questionabledudequestionabledude Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's supposed to be a big update about the movie August 1st. At least the MySpace blog will be viewable on that day. What if the movie actually comes out on that date? I'm becoming more and more convinced that 1/18/08 IS the name of the movie.

questionabledude on
    edited July 2007

I didn't say it was Mythos, but that's the kind of shit they're playing with at all the damn viral sites.

And if you don't know what I'm talking about, well, you haven't been paying attention.

And I saw that Paramount was pulling those Van videos.

august on
    edited July 2007
    waaaaay too invested.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited July 2007
    waaaaay too invested.

You win.

august on
  • Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I dunno. The AOL IM name on the Ethan Haas LJ page is "hovercraft love." Pretty goddamn suggestive to me.

Brian888 on
    edited July 2007
    JJ Abrams emailed Harry Knowles a few hours ago. Anyone think he's tossing a red herring?
    Dear Sir,

Thanks for your support of our little movie. I can't wait to talk to you more about it -- of course, knowing you, by the time we talk you'll know more than I will.

Regarding the online stuff you posted: yeah, we're doing some fun stuff on the web. But, obviously, if the movie doesn't kick some massive ASS, who gives a rat's about what's online? So as you can imagine, we're focusing mostly on THAT. For what it's worth, the only site of ours that people have even FOUND is the 1-18-08.com site. The others (like the Ethan Haas sites) have nothing to do with us.

Stay cool the rest of the summer -- and thanks per usual for AICN!

JJ

Hmm.

Also, At the end of the trailer, on the back end of the traffic sign on the right of the Statue of Liberty's head, reads "Dead Dead". Dunno if thats of note or not.

People who did a hostname lookup or whatever of the EthanHaaswasright.com domain said it was owned by Paramount Pictures. I'm thinking Abrams may just be trying to throw people off.

As far as that myspace blog goes, thats obviously fan made. I imagine its just someone who will update the blog with whatever info is released on August 1st.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
    edited July 2007
    waaaaay too invested.

By the way Cat, if you wanna mod the debate and discourse forum, maybe you should try reading the thread and then telling people where they're wrong or being unreasonable. I mean, hey call me crazy. But if you wanna just jump into a thread where people are getting nuts over an arg and piss on them because you think they're crazy or might be having fun with this shit, hey that's cool too. Knock yourself out.

august on
    edited July 2007
    waaaaay too invested.

By the way Cat, if you wanna mod the debate and discourse forum, maybe you should try reading the thread and then telling people where they're wrong or being unreasonable. I mean, hey call me crazy. But if you wanna just jump into a thread where people are getting nuts over an arg and piss on them because you think they're crazy or might be having fun with this shit, hey that's cool too. Knock yourself out.

I'm not modding in here, I'm participating, chiefly by pointing out that some of you are trending a little too EntropyKid-ways and looking pretty silly as a result. You don't have to like it, but you can damn well live with my opinion. Typing in allcaps and calling people retards for not going along with your pet theory are not smooth moves. Note that this isn't directed even chiefly at you, more of a general trend. A lame one.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited July 2007
    weenus wrote: »
    JJ Abrams emailed Harry Knowles a few hours ago. Anyone think he's tossing a red herring?
    Dear Sir,

Thanks for your support of our little movie. I can't wait to talk to you more about it -- of course, knowing you, by the time we talk you'll know more than I will.

Regarding the online stuff you posted: yeah, we're doing some fun stuff on the web. But, obviously, if the movie doesn't kick some massive ASS, who gives a rat's about what's online? So as you can imagine, we're focusing mostly on THAT. For what it's worth, the only site of ours that people have even FOUND is the 1-18-08.com site. The others (like the Ethan Haas sites) have nothing to do with us.

JJ

Hmm.

Also, At the end of the trailer, on the back end of the traffic sign on the right of the Statue of Liberty's head, reads "Dead Dead". Dunno if thats of note or not.

People who did a hostname lookup or whatever of the EthanHaaswasright.com domain said it was owned by Paramount Pictures. I'm thinking Abrams may just be trying to throw people off.

As far as that myspace blog goes, thats obviously fan made. I imagine its just someone who will update the blog with whatever info is released on August 1st.

That's some crazy shit.

There's no way that 1-18-08 is the only site, though. http://www.slusho.jp/ is pretty obviously tied into the movie: one of the kids is wearing one of their shirts in the trailer. So that's BS right off the bat.

august on
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think anyone who draws lovecraft from this has entirely too active an imagination.

Lovecraft is at least semi-plausible. (Not even remotely likely, but plausible.) At least the "omg its voltron" inanity has died off.
    Wikipedia says:

"A Paramount spokesperson said that the studio was unfamiliar with the URL of the Ethan Haas Was Right website." but their source is dubious.
    Even if the source is accurate, that could still mean that the spokesperson was a) playing along (i.e. lying) to build up mystique around the online tie-ins, or more likely b) completely clueless about the Haas stuff. Likewise with the JJ Abrams email to AICN. Although, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Ethan Haas was an ARG for some other, unrelated project that we don't know about yet.
    Again: Voltron. People are crawling up all kinds of their own orifices trying to find a new spin on this thing that we know next to nothing about.

gtrmp on
    edited July 2007
    weenus wrote: »
    Dear Sir,

JJ

Hmm.

That's some crazy shit.

There's no way that 1-18-08 is the only site, though. http://www.slusho.jp/ is pretty obviously tied into the movie: one of the kids is wearing one of their shirts in the trailer. So that's BS right off the bat.

"Only site of ours that people have even found". At the time Abrams emailed Knowles, the Slusho link was just starting to circulate.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited July 2007
    Perhaps Paramount have merged the promotion of two separate films into one gigantic two-headed engine of destruction? Because they took down those Van videos.

august on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I agree people who keep going on about lovecraft need to sit up and realize there is no way something like this is related to lovecraft.

For one giant fucking explosions and the almost stereotypical destruction of the statue of liberty is hardly lovecraft style. Two if it was they would at least try to cash in on the lovecraft aspect even a little. Third does giant evil alien parasite that is also in soft drinks really strike you as a lovecraft story?

Besides some totally random words on websites that may not even be related to this there is nothing at all to go by let a long enough evidence to stand up and start shouting that cthulhu is coming.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited July 2007
    Okay, let me break it on down before I go to bed.

Paramount was taking ethanhaas videos and the 1-18-08 trailer off the web the same day.

Both the movie and ethanhaas have apocalyptic imagery. ethanhaas also has some vaguely Lovecratian shit going on. (Note I'm not saying any of this shit is Mythos. It's just the sort of thing people have riffing of for years. Example: Hellboy.)

http://www.slusho.jp/history.html <-- A shirt for this "product" can also be seen on one of the characters in the trailer. That little history story has creepy Lovcraft-esque shit going on.

But now Abrams is saying ethanhaas has nothing to do with the movie?

So Paramount has a vested interest in TWO products that have apocalyptic and lovecraftian shit going on? At the same time?

What the sam crap?

august on
    edited July 2007
    Maybe I need to just strike the word Lovecraft from all my posts.

I think it's just them playing with the ideas. Riffing on the concepts. Nerds been doing that shit for decades.

august on
    edited July 2007
    Whats so lovecraftian about the slusho history?

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited July 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadow_Over_Innsmouth

Not exact, obviously. I mean
    the narrator was already related.

august on
    edited July 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadow_Over_Innsmouth

Not exact, obviously. I mean
    the narrator was already related.

Maybe I'm oblivious or something but I just don't see the relation.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited July 2007
    People being drawn down by creepy undersea gods to be turned into fish monsters?

That's pretty bad.

august on
    edited July 2007
    People being drawn down by creepy undersea gods to be turned into fish monsters?

That's pretty bad.

It's not the strongest link, but if Paramount did pull the ethanhaas videos and this slushio thing is part of that it could easily point to a Cthulhu story.

http://www.slusho.jp/index.html What's the deal with the 6 at the bottom of the page followed by random japanese characters? It's the only number on all of the pages that isn't a crazy Asian character, and you could say the mystery number at http://www.1-18-08.com/ looks a lot like a 6. This might mean nothing.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
    edited July 2007
    I guess but it seems to be a huge stretch cause the only thing they have in common is the ocean and being turned into something.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited July 2007
    I dunno. You can't drink just 6 though. I assumed that's what it said. I guess someone will translate it at some point.

august on
    edited July 2007
    I guess but it seems to be a huge stretch cause the only thing they have in common is the ocean and being turned into something.

And creeping evil, bad dreams, obsession and family tragedy. And giant sea creatures telling people what to do.

Very, very Lovecraft man. The guy had a style and a worldview, and people have been playing with it for years, and as far as I'm concerned this is more of that.

august on
  • tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    [Domain Name] SLUSHO.JP

[Registrant] Satoshi Kagashima

I sent Satoshi the following email. Lets see if I get a response.

sk7087@gmail.com
    date Jul 9, 2007 11:35 PM
    subject Slusho!
    mailed-by gmail.com

Satoshi-san,

Love you're site! When and where can I buy Slusho! I'm going to need at least six.

Thanks

tachyon on
    edited July 2007
    You'll get a for response. Sound familiar?

august on