As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40,000] Tales of the Neckbeard and Adventures in Crazyland, 1000 FLGS stories.

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I saw someone selling thier army but part of thier discription was No finecast! is it really that bad?

That seems stupid. I might sack up and order some finecast, off the interwebs, just to document how the process goes start-to-finish when GW can't guarantee the quality of the box as I walk out the door.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I don't know. Out of the 3 finecast products I've purchased, two had issues, and they sent me the wrong venomthrope arms once before completely replacing it and the lictor.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I have still managed to avoid even handling Finecast since it's release. Everything I've bought has been either FW or a plastic kit that I've converted into whatever would have been a Finecast model.

• LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Finecast as a material is wonderful. So much better to work with/paint than metal.

I've not had any issues with it, in terms of cast quality, myself either. I know plenty who have though. It's a real shame GW have soured the reputation of Finecast so much because as a material it's great.

Lezta on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    I find SW to be a much, much harder matchup than GK.

Well, yeah. They're both very good but SW is just a more powerful book overall.

• saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    My Finecast Librarian had one or two little errors that were small enough I never bothered to fix them. I left sprue-pieces from him in my car in August in the hot, hot sun and didn't notice any melting. Paint and glue stick way better than they would on metal, and it can be dropped without breaking or chipping.

The only thing I don't like is the weight. A good, solid, metal model feels really nice, I think. But that's just a personal preference.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Out of the 6 finecast things I have (2 Zoanthropes, 2 Hive Guard, 1 Venomthrope, 1 Varghulf), the Venomthrope and Varghulf had issues. I decided to fix the Venomthrope myself (probably shouldn't have, but oh well) and I got a replacement main body for my Varghulf.

I agree though that it's a much nicer material to work with than metal. I just wish they'd sort out their casting problems. And the only risk is when purchasing the model, so claiming no finecast on a predone army is kind of dumb, since the person reselling it would have dealt with any issues.

-Loki- on
  • AbesolutZEROAbesolutZERO HERESY! WHERE!? Registered User regular
    I dislike Fincecast as far as durability goes. My Archon now has one horn because of that. I have no idea how it even happened. I carefully pack away my stuff in foam. :(

• TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Heat really fucks with finecast. One of my incubi's klaives got whiskey dick after a few hours in my car during the hot Louisiana summer.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Heat really fucks with finecast. One of my incubi's klaives got whiskey dick after a few hours in my car during the hot Louisiana summer.

I'll trade occasionally warming some resin to bend back for having metal weaken when bend and eventually break and need pinning anyday.

My old Chaplains Crozius has been repinned so many fucking times, I've just given up and he just holds a handle. If it was finecast, just supergluing it would have created a better bond.

I heated it up and set it back, it was just annoying. I love the finecast material over metal, even over normal plastics. SO easy to work with.

I dislike the lack of weight and the heat weakness, but that's it.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

I don't see why this would be shocking in any way. I lived in the Glorious South for a few years and I've seen hard plastic become essentially liquid after being in the car in the summer.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705

I don't see why this would be shocking in any way. I lived in the Glorious South for a few years and I've seen hard plastic become essentially liquid after being in the car in the summer.

It wasn't shocking, but I thought it'd take more than a few hours.

Lack of weight is pure gold for Zoanthropes. I had mine sitting at a 45 degree angle on the side of a hill. My friends metals can barely stand up on a flat surface that has a bit of flock on it.

• ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2012
    saluksic wrote: »
    The only thing I don't like is the weight. A good, solid, metal model feels really nice, I think. But that's just a personal preference.
    "Heavy is good ..."

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    So I had a second session of Rogue Trader two weeks ago, ish. Probably the last for a while until we find replacement players, because our Void Master has now moved to another state. :(

Basically, the session consisted of finally finding the wrecked ship we were promised via the psychic stone we got off a dude in a bar. Who knows what sorts of dangers await the crew aboard? Lord Callidon Stern had the bright idea of sending an advance scouting team of expendable crew members to investigate and report back.

They never did.

So we followed in after them, discovering ANOTHER shuttle in the landing bay belonging to, what Stern could discern, another Rogue Trader dynasty. A few crates were set up for cover in front of their shuttle, and there was a wide-open field of death between our shuttle and theirs, thanks to accidentally warning them that they would be expecting company soon, from our advance scouting party! So we got in a shootout against several mooks with lasguns and one wielding a Plasma Gun. Lord Stern got fed up damn quick because they were just out of his Inferno Pistol's range. The Astropath was doing just fine hanging back and blasting them with his Hellgun, but Stern would have none of it; he had him give covering fire while charging down the field with the Void Master. All n all, the fight went well. The Void Master lost an arm thanks to a well-placed plasma shot from point-blank, but that's what bionics are for. Right?

makosig.jpg
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I wanted vlad for my vampires and have been specifically looking at eBay for a metal version.

I do think it's every bit as bad as people say it is. And will take pictures ( if anyone thinks im just unlucky ) of the 4 lhamaens and nearly 4 boxes of incubi I ended up with BEFORE getting them replaced with plastic kits, which was after the store manager opened a further 3 boxes looking for some good casts.

I still haven't built them because the effort to fix them up is too great.

The material is terrible and flimsy. The casting process obviously flawed. And ordering from a discount Internet source a complete fething lottery.

J on
  • FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So I played my first game in a long time against my friend who was fielding Necrons, 1000 points a side, 4 objectives. I was playing Chaos Marines, and have never played against Necrons before. Then again, I haven't played against pretty much anything aside from a few games against marines and IG.

My list:
    HQ:
    Demon Prince w/ wings and mark of khorne
    Troops:
    10 CSM, w/ Aspiring Champion w/ power first and combi-flamer, 2 meltas, chaos glory, dedicated rhino
    10 CSM, w/ Aspiring Champion w/ power first and combi-flamer, 2 meltas, chaos glory, dedicated rhino
    5 Plague Marines, w/ Plague Champion, 3 plasma pistols
    Heavy:
    2 Obliterators

His list (from what I remember)
    Monolith
    Ghost Ark
    Some warriors I didn't care about
    2 lords, 2 overlords with mindshackle scarabs and warscythes that I would learn to care about
    4 wraiths, 2 of which had whiplash (I think that's what it's called)

Turn 1: I move my rhinos towards the center mark, 1 heading towards his forward objective, the other towards his monolith. Plague marines sit on one of my objectives. Demon prince moves up under cover of the rhinos. One obliterator destroys his ghost ark with a lascannon shot, no necrons inside are hurt. The second obliterator immobilizes the monolith with the same, which is conveniently pointing off to the side of the board, effectively negating it's lash and whirlpool abilities. He disembarks his lords and some warriors and heads towards center field, alongside his wraiths.

Turn 2: I drive one rhino up, parked next to his objective, and disembark right in front of the lord/warrior group. The other parks and disembarks in front of the wraiths. The demon prince joins them. Shooting is lackluster, putting a couple wounds on wraiths and killing off a couple warriors with plasma cannon shots, bolter and melta fire. Now begin the dark times. Assault phase. My demon prince into his lords. He gets mindshackled, failing his test (of which I had to apparently take 4, which made me sad), invuln saves against hitting himself, then takes 9 power weapon wounds from the lord counterstrike. He never had a chance. His turn, monolith fires, does little, he charges his wraiths into one squad, lords into the other. Both do embarrassingly bad in combat, we both lose a couple guys, and the battle is a push.

Turn 3-5: The lords slaughter every chaos marine in that squad, to the man. My second squad ends up doing well against the wraiths, only losing half strength before emerging victorious. The obliterators fire at the monolith repeatedly, ultimately failing to build upon their stellar start. Plague marines lose 2 of 5 guys by the end of the game, successfully holding the objective. My surviving squad attempted to make it to my second objective (since he only had one), but ended up being at the very edge of range after the lords moved, ran, and charged. It was a bloodbath. On the final turn he tried to get his 5 warriors to a second objective. My oblits land two perfect plasma cannon shots on them, unfortunately killing all but one. The game ends, him with 2 objectives, I with 1.

Good game overall. I knew he said he played close combat 'crons, but those lords... I could never have imagined...

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2012
    J wrote: »
    The material is terrible and flimsy.

Terrible, hardly. Flimsy, yeah, its resin.

I'll take flimsy any day when I can stand a Zoanthrope at a 45 degree angle on a cliff, or not need a razorsaw and a lot of repair work to do a simple headswap, or not have to run 10 brass rods and through a Hive Guard and anchor it with a pound of green stuff to stop it falling apart when picked up. Flimsy is fine. I'm not playing soccer with these things. I'm transporting them in a secure foam tray and shifting them around a table.
    The casting process obviously flawed. And ordering from a discount Internet source a complete fething lottery.

This I agree 100% on. I love Finecast, but GW need to sort this shit out. I shouldn't be holding my breath when I open a pack, hoping for no flaws. It's gotten better lately (the first run were capital TERRIBLE), but the issue still lingers.

-Loki- on
    Its way more bendy than other resins I've worked with. Hell they touted the fact its bendy as a bloody feature. Really I don't want to paint something that's moving under pressure from my brush. I painted an Archon and the husk blade was flexing each time I ran my brush along it. Not cool.

For what it's worth I can see it being a plus for tyranid players like yourself with those top heavy beasties. In my examples, it was dark eldar models which seem to suffer most with their spindly features and abandunce of spikes and knives. Same for the vamps. Isabella Von carstien looks totally badass. But each time I go to purchase one. The shelved blisters don't even pass a cursory inspection.

Maybe my expectations are too high?

• mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    The Finecast™ discussion needs to be hashed out in one thread for all eternity. Stuff has been out for a while now and it is beautiful. It is better than pewter, just trust me.

I bought this onesie for my son coming in July

Bq912.png

E26cO.jpg
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    mugginns wrote: »

Bq912.png

As a man with a toddler, I must know where you acquired such a thing.

Nealneal on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    I took the picture from the internets and made it on INKTastic.com

E26cO.jpg
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    J, what side of the Atlantic are you? I happen to have a mint metal Vlad sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    If everyone used our map you'd know, Mr_Rose!

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    mugginns wrote: »

Bq912.png

...does it come in medium size?

Mr_Rose wrote: »
    J, what side of the Atlantic are you? I happen to have a mint metal Vlad sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

The side with tea and crumpets.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

And the letter U

And the letter U

Crazy old-worlders.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

And the letter U

Crazy old-wourlders.

FTFY

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    FTFY

More like 'crazy ould-wourlders'

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    FTFY

Seriously, I almost went there. :)

FTFY

Seriously, I almost went there. :)

You almoust went there, you mean.

Crap...you're right.

I'm the wourst at this...

Crap...you're right.

I'm the wourst at this...

Could say you're the... bratwourst.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Learn to spell, nooubs.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    The letter U is used on both sides of the Atlantic you know. It's only you silly Ameuricans that refuse to spell courrectly.

Is she a goer? Eh?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    The letter U is used oun bouth sides ouf the Atlantic you knouw. It's ounly you silly Ameuricans that refuse to spell courrectly.

FTFY

• Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    The letter U is used oun bouth sides ouf the Atlantic you knouw. It's ounly you silly Ameuricans that refuse to spell courrectly.

FTFY

Take off, eh. You hoser.

This discussion has been closed.