As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New PS3 Owner with Questions

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I bought the PoP HD collection on nothing but pure nostalgia...

They... are not as good as I remember.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    The POP games have some outdated game mechanics to be sure. I actually re-played Sands of Time about 2 years ago, and felt it was still worth playing. I picked up the HD collection, but haven't gotten around to trying it out. I think you can get the disc version for pretty cheap.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I just got a PS3 2 days ago, loving it. I got metal gear solid 4 and Vanquish. Loving Vanquish, it really is a fun Gears of War :p

Haven't tried MGS4 yet though. Honestly, I've spent more time watching movies on netflix LOL

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm here to echo that the PS3 version of Skyrim is totally fine. Zero issues with 60+ hours of play for me. Honestly, skip Oblivion. As someone who has played the Elder Scrolls games since Arena (yeah, I'm old) it's the weakest in the series (not counting Battlespire and Redguard).

Also, play Uncharted in order. You CAN start with 2 or 3, but you'll enjoy it much more if you start with the first one. There are enough recurring characters that playing them all is worth it. 1 is good, 2 is amazing, 3 is good.

Esh on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Agreed on Uncharted. Yes, the first game is imperfect and really outdone by the later entries (especially 2), but it is a good game, and was worth it for the characters. They make quite a few callbacks to stuff that happened earlier in the series, much like the Indiana Jones movies.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    btw, just so you know, if there's ever a HD remake you want to play, but don't want to buy the whole pack, you can usually download the specific title you want to play on PSN.

I did that with Sly Cooper, bought just the first game on PSN for $10. Of course, the next week it was free . . .

Damnit.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Honestly, I've spent more time watching movies on netflix LOL

Yep, my PS3 is a Netflix machine. I only have a handful of games and can only second what has already been mentioned: Uncharted series, HD remakes, 3D Dot Game Heroes, and the like.

Regarding Heavy Rain, I liked it a lot, even the ending, but I can see how it might turn you off. It's worlds better than Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit, though. Unfortunately, the replay value drops significantly once you find out who the main villain is (and he/she doesn't change depending on what your decisions are, which I was mildly disappointed with) because that initial shock is gone.

If you're going the Heavy Rain route, get it cheap (I got mine at a GameStop sale for $15), and don't use Move, it doesn't really add much to the experience. There are a few instances in the game that require very precise movements and you'll wish you had a controller and not the Move peripheral during that time.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I forgot the Ico/Shadow Of The Colossus HD remakes!

• Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    I would suggest downloading the starhawk beta before it ends. Hands down one of the most enjoyable multiplayer experiences out there. Just be aware there is a bit of a learning curve to it.

sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I forgot to mention that Katamari Forever, 3D Dot Game Heroes and Valkyria Chronicles are each $15.99 with Free Shipping from Newegg.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Just got back from using my coupons. Picked up Kill Zone 2 for $2 after coupon, Motorstorm 1 (it's the only one they had, but should fill my need for an arcade racer for awhile) for free after coupon, and Katamari forever for $12 after coupon. The funny part is that this means my total investment in my PS3 after doing my trades/sales was $18...which paid for the system, 2nd controller, 12 physical games, and $20 in PSN credit. Thanks for all the recommendations folks - I'm going to sock them aside for the next time I have some extra cash kicking around.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Seconding (thirding? fourthing?) 3D Dot Game Heroes, great budget buy if you love Zelda-style games...especially ones that don't take themselves very seriously and poke fun at the formula.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dirty wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    I put around 90 hours into Skyrim on the PS3, and I got it the day it came out.

I had 0 issues.

Standard Bethesda bugs + PS3-specific bugs + internet echo chamber = "Skyrim PS3 completely unplayable!"
    Skyrim caused a forced hard drive format on my PS3. It's fine now (after all the patches), but it was a disaster. There was no exaggeration of that.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Uncharted 1 is about as good as your average modern Tomb Raider game except with a greater emphasis on combat and less emphasis on exploration & puzzles. Take that as you will.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Uncharted 1 is about as good as your average modern Tomb Raider game except with a greater emphasis on combat and less emphasis on exploration & puzzles. Take that as you will.

Throw in the miles better story, dialogue, and voice acting and you have a good game that shouldn't be missed.

• Options
    This thread has reminded me to hook my PS3 back up, since I haven't plugged it back in since moving...and I want to play 3D Dot Game Heroes.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Ketar wrote: »

Throw in the miles better story, dialogue, and voice acting and you have a good game that shouldn't be missed.

The voice acting is good, but the story & dialogue isn't anything to write home about. It's throwaway fluff. I was seriously disappointed because people had hyped up the story & characters as being so amazing and instead what I got was National Treasure: The Videogame (Now with 100% less Nicolas Cage!).

Nathan Drake is a treasure hunter, his best friend/partner is named Sully, and he teams up with a reporter named Elena with whom he shares cliche romantic tension while searching for a lost forbidden treasure. There, now you know all you need to know about the story & characters to be able to safely skip the outdated Uncharted 1 and go straight to the much superior sequel.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options

The voice acting is good, but the story & dialogue isn't anything to write home about. It's throwaway fluff. I was seriously disappointed because people had hyped up the story & characters as being so amazing and instead what I got was National Treasure: The Videogame (Now with 100% less Nicolas Cage!).

To be fair, National Treasure without Nicolas Cage would be a lot better.

Can't wait to get home and play some Katamari... the day feels really, really long right now.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I forgot to mention that Katamari Forever, 3D Dot Game Heroes and Valkyria Chronicles are each $15.99 with Free Shipping from Newegg.

Woo!

I almost plunked down 30 bones on 3D Dot Game Heores a few months ago, glad I waited!

Edit: I've purchased 2 PS3 games today because of this thread... :lol:

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Oh and something that I don't recall hearing about anywhere that seriously annoyed me when I bought Uncharted 1 a few months ago - it has major screen tearing problems. Thankfully, they fixed that in the sequel.

• Options
    Oh and something that I don't recall hearing about anywhere that seriously annoyed me when I bought Uncharted 1 a few months ago - it has major screen tearing problems. Thankfully, they fixed that in the sequel.

Never noticed it myself.

• Options
    What annoys me isb not being able to play any of my PS2 games :(

• Options

Nathan Drake is a treasure hunter, his best friend/partner is named Sully, and he teams up with a reporter named Elena with whom he shares cliche romantic tension while searching for a lost forbidden treasure. There, now you know all you need to know about the story & characters to be able to safely skip the outdated Uncharted 1 and go straight to the much superior sequel.

The writing is streets ahead of that National Treasure garbage.

• Options
    There, now you know all you need to know about the story & characters to be able to safely skip the outdated Uncharted 1 and go straight to the much superior sequel.

Jeez, did Uncharted 1 somehow develop the ability to defecate and then do so right in your Fruit Loops? Only as good as a modern Tomb Raider? UC1 is miles away better than any TR game I've played.

• Options
    Big Isy wrote: »
    What annoys me isb not being able to play any of my PS2 games :(

I have a 60GB original PS3 that I use for this...but the BR drive is broken, I need to get it fixed (I have a 160GB slim that I actually use as my PS3 device...if I get the 60GB fixed it will just be an overpriced PS2).

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Dirty wrote: »
    There, now you know all you need to know about the story & characters to be able to safely skip the outdated Uncharted 1 and go straight to the much superior sequel.

Jeez, did Uncharted 1 somehow develop the ability to defecate and then do so right in your Fruit Loops? Only as good as a modern Tomb Raider? UC1 is miles away better than any TR game I've played.

Coming to it several years after it was released, I was greatly disappointed. It's not a bad game, but yeah, I think it's not substantially better than say Tomb Raider: Anniversary. On the one hand, Uncharted has better combat and prettier visuals. On the other hand, Uncharted 1 has a LOT more combat and I grew tired of it long before the game was over.

Uncharted 2, on the other hand, lives up to the hype. Excellent game although I thought the ending was a bit weak.

But yeah, even though Uncharted 2 is a much better game, it's not a substantially different game as far as the mechanics go (it just has better level design, more set pieces, and a few fixes here and there) so in my opinion, you're better off skipping the first game so that you're not tired out by the core gameplay by the time you get to the second one.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I just played Uncharted 1 for the first time. It is a resounding "eh" for me. The combat was boring! Little variety in weapons, and clunky aiming. It wouldn't be so bad if the combat wasn't, you know, the bulk of the gameplay. The exploration side of things was much more fun, but even that had a couple problems, and here is an extreme example (IE, this might be the only area you could screw up like this, but...) I traded off the controller with ma buddy, left the room for a moment, came back and my buddy had gotten lost, and we stayed lost for a good 30 minutes, because the clue to get us back on track was so god damn oblique; it pointed us to the wall of a church, when we were supposed to backtrack through the area we just came through and take an alternate route. :/

And! The puzzles were very easy. But, I absolutely appreaciate dropping the timed platforming bullshit from Tomb Raider. Forget that. >.>

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Uncharted is bad, it just felt a little off? I admittedly went in expecting a 10 and got more like a 7, and I liked the characters, but the story was bland. Likeable characters is a huge achievement, imo, so big tick for that.

I've read a lot about how more refined Uncharted 2 is, and I picked it up the same time. Looking forward to it. :3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I bought the PoP HD collection on nothing but pure nostalgia...

They... are not as good as I remember.

Those are also awful ports.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    1.) I had to enter a cc# to do the free trial of Plus. I'd like to let my son try the DC and FreeRealms online games but obviously I know they have the option to buy stuff. Is there some password protection to not let him accidentally buy stuff?
    I have no idea how those games work but the PSN does have a setting you can check off which will require your password be input whenever you want to put money on your account. I don't think it's set on by default but you should be able to find it somewhere in the Account Management.

And here we go with the rest of my giga-post:
    2.) How is the Plus from month to month? It seems worth it from the point that I just downloaded Sly Cooper for free, but is it normally that good and what other perks does it offer (if any).
    It's great so long as you'll actually use your PS3. Online save storage is awesome, especially if you've got games with copy protected saves. You also get a ton of discounts and free content each month.
    Odd ball game - how did Afrika turn out? My wife is really, really intrigued by the concept and I certainly wouldn't mind picking it up if it's something she'd play.
    It's alright. I played it a couple of years ago but if I your wife finds the idea interesting in the first place then she'll probably like it. There are 5-6 different areas which are unlocked in fairly linear fashion and you're given objectives to complete for magazines and whatever. So Nat Geo will request a picture of an elephant giving itself a bath, so you'll have to go find an elephant that's doing so. Occasionally you'll come across a special event that you'll only encounter once, like a cheetah chasing and taking down a gazelle. Those are the really cool parts, especially the very last one.

Also worth noting: The save is enormous. ~500MB because it reserves space for all your pictures.
    Rubbish. Uncharted 1 is a fantastic game, far better than any of the Tomb Raider's. It's not the non-stop action-fest the other two games are and it can get quite hard but it has its strengths as well. Since it doesn't switch up the environment every 10 minutes and has a slower pace, it has a far greater sense of environment, making you feel like it's a real place rather than some of the more linear paths in the other two games.

Anyway, recommended exclusives that you don't have:
    Uncharted 1-2
    Infamous 1-2
    Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
    Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
    LittleBigPlanet 2 (huge upgrade from the original if you're concerned over the differences and all the levels/DLC/costumes/unlocks from the first game transfer over)
    God of War 3
    Demon's Souls
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Yakuza 3-4
    Heavy Rain
    Disgaea 4
    Tales of Graces F

And on PSN:
    PixelJunk Monsters
    PixelJunk Shooter 1-2
    Journey
    Flower
    Under Siege
    Akimi Village
    Critter Crunch
    Super Stardust HD
    Wipeout HD
    Shatter
    Infamous: Festival of Blood
    Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty
    Rochard
    Malicious
    Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD
    Dead Nation
    Payday: The Heist

As for the HD Collections, the general rule of thumb is all but the Ubisoft ones are good. As is typical of all their ports, Ubisoft half-assed both the PoP and Splinter Cell trilogies. The others though? Fantastic and well worth playing. MGS, Ico/SotC, GoW, GoW Origins, Jak & Daxter and Sly are all great games and great ports. God of War 2 in particular could easily pass as an early gen PS3/360 game.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    I'm very surprised and disappointed that nobody has mentioned Renegade Ops yet. Especially since the OP has a son, and that's one of the best co-op games you can get on PSN (with Tomb Raider being the best, but perhaps not suitable if he's too young).

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Of all the exclusive games these are the ones I can recommend (NOTE: My PS3 bit the dust and it's going to be at LEAST $129 to get it fixed, so I haven't played any of the newer games):

Infamous 1
    Ratchet and Clank (both of them)
    Uncharted 2 (If you're concerned about story then get 1, but honestly everything about 2 is better and it's much less "cheap". I have had, on multiple occasions, a grenade land EXACTLY above where my hands are hanging on a rail... WTF?)
    Resistance 2 (1st was really bad, but at least had co-op story)
    LittleBigPlanet 1/2

Killzone games are still not all that fun.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Resistance 2 (1st was really bad, but at least had co-op story)

If you want to play a mediocre to bad Call of Duty clone, there are much better options than Resistance 2. It took out all the things that were great in Resistance 1 (storytelling, weapon wheel, fairly open levels, pre-CoD FPS design and difficulty) and replaced them with Call of Duty. Super linear levels, a lot more scripting, normal cutscenes, 2 weapons at one time, etc. They took a unique game and made it like everything else, which only exposed how dull the setting really was. I believe they added a lot of those things back into Resistance 3 but by then it was too late, Resistance 2 killed the franchise. I'd be surprised if the Vita spinoff isn't the last one.

Killzone 2 is in the same style of FPS design as CoD but it's unique in that the pacing and gameplay are a lot slower and more deliberate. Killzone 3 kinda killed those two things though, which is why it's not as good (though certain story problems certainly didn't help). The franchise also benefits from a far more interesting backstory and setting than Resistance.

@eobet: Ah, I forgot Renegade Ops because I've got it on Steam. It and Lara Croft are certainly good games though.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Esh wrote: »
    I'm here to echo that the PS3 version of Skyrim is totally fine. Zero issues with 60+ hours of play for me. Honestly, skip Oblivion. As someone who has played the Elder Scrolls games since Arena (yeah, I'm old) it's the weakest in the series (not counting Battlespire and Redguard).

Also, play Uncharted in order. You CAN start with 2 or 3, but you'll enjoy it much more if you start with the first one. There are enough recurring characters that playing them all is worth it. 1 is good, 2 is amazing, 3 is good.

And I don't know if you prefer single player or multiplayer or a little of both, but get Uncharted for the single player experience. In my opinion the multiplayer is awful and never should have existed. I've never played coop for 3, so I can't comment on that, but I'm talking about deathmatch and the other versus game types.

But the single player games are some of the best.

Also, it's been said, but Little Big Planet 2 is awesome. You'll never run out of stuff to play and it'd be a great game to play with your son. I really wish there was an active community for it here, but it died out pretty quick which surprised me. I figured it'd last awhile.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    We got LBP1 simply because they had a bundled version with a controller so we grabbed it. We're get LBP2 once we get through some more of our games.

On single/multi player - I don't play much multiplayer at all, and when I do it's mostly same-room multiplayer co-op like for Castle Crashers/Scott Pilgrim/etc.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Regarding Uncharted 1, the acting and dialogue are considerably better than most video games. It was so movie like that my wife insisted on watching me play through it, the only other games that has happened with were Uncharted 2 and 3 and Heavy Rain. It remains to this day one of my favourite games and one of the only games I've ever replayed more than once (I'm up to three play throughs, the most recent being after Uncharted 3).

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Stay away from PlayStation Home, it just crashed my PS3 and now I'm terrified.

• Options
    PixelJunk Shooter 1-2
    Super Stardust HD
    Rochard

I really wanna second these as well. I'm pretty sure they all have demos as well, so you don't have to take our word for it.
    Malicious

I think this one is currently exclusive to Japan and Europe. Just in case there were any Americans checking this thread for suggestions.

• Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I must be the only person in the world who liked Resistance 1, 2 & 3. (I also liked the psp version) I guess thats because all of them are so different than the others, and really only share weapons and story universe.

1. Very military, old school FPS (carry all weapons, must find health pickups) and brown/grey, co-op campaign
    2. Special Forces, colorful, big enemies, halo type game play. (2 weapons regenerating health), class based multiplayer co-op. (Tank, DPS, Medic)
    3. Is more like 1 with weapons and health, but has parts of 2, like color and more special forces. co-op campaign

Resistance 1 is a launch game, and hasn't aged very well only get if you really like old style FPS with good stories. 2 was a fun romp but I what I really liked was the class based multiplayer co-op, which is probably dead by now. 3 is very good and should be played by all, never got into its multiplayer though.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I was more annoyed at Resistance 1's random difficulty spikes. In 2 there wasn't really any jumps that I can think of, but there were times in R1 where you're like "HOLY SHIT WTF?!" when things are pouring out to kill you and your face.

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I'm sitting on the fence on whether or not to trade in my 360 for a PS3, simply because I think the exclusives on the PS3 look stellar... but there are games I really am afraid of leaving behind, most notably my MGS HD collection progress in Peace Walker, my progress in SSX, and some of my unfinished games...