As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iOS Games: There's a Zombie on your In-App Purchase.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    SightTDW wrote: »
    Grabbed Infinity Blade 2 and my god that is one pretty game. Very fun too, even if I am currently really bad at it.

I'd probably get better but I have to admit to being completely hooked on Tiny Tower...

It didn't even occur to me how good comics could look on here, but there seem to be a lot of distribution apps around. Any of them work better than others? Save for the DC and Marvel specific ones. I have a theory on what the difference between them might be.

Comixology is the one you want. The DC and Marvel apps are brand-specific offshoots of the Comixology app, but are run and developed by Comixology. The DC app has identical stock to the Comixology app all the time for DC titles whereas the Marvel one gets updated about a week or so earlier than the Comixology app with new collections (also has some exclusive free titles). New collections get added to the Comixology app a week later they debut in the Marvel app. Same day print is the same across all three. You can also apparently e-mail Comixology customer support to have them link your Marvel account to your Comixology account so that purchases made in the Marvel app will show up in Comixology (Marvel titles bought through Comixology will not show up in the Marvel app, however).

EDIT: Found that article about Comixology's HD comics. They're supposedly not available yet as I haven't received an app update notice yet, but I have been prompted by a couple comics that an update for them is available. I don't think they're actually being updated though as I always get prompted to update them every time I open them. I'm taking that as a sign that the update must be coming really soon. I can't wait to see how good these look after the update. I think they look incredible now, as good as print even. I can't imagine how good they'll look after the update.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Looking at several samples of collections vs trade paperback on Amazon, it looks like those are consistently more than having a physical copy that I can easily loan around. Looks like this is only well-priced for people who buy individual comics?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, we had the Ghost Trick argument already in the last thread. Some people can't get past the blatantly intellect-insulting introduction to get to the meat of the game.

And that's okay.

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Septus wrote: »
    Looking at several samples of collections vs trade paperback on Amazon, it looks like those are consistently more than having a physical copy that I can easily loan around. Looks like this is only well-priced for people who buy individual comics?

Digital comic deals are hit-or-miss. Sometimes even with a half-off sale, a physical trade off of Amazon is cheaper. It's actually entirely on purpose, because they're afraid of putting comic shops out of business and alienating older fans.

But every so often, digital presents a better bargain. Rarely. They just added the Marvel Masterworks collections, which have been notoriously expensive; they're selling them digitally for 6-11 dollars.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    (this is kinda repost from the iPhone/iPad thread on Moe's Tech forum, pardon m
    So I got an iPhone 4S, and I'm looooooooooooving it. I already had an iPod Touch 2nd gen, but this is another world. I like it better even than my wife's wifi 32gb iPad 2.

I got many cool games already, so I'm looking for GameCenter buddies. My id is Stormwatcher33.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Yeah, we had the Ghost Trick argument already in the last thread. I can't get past the blatantly intellect-insulting introduction to get to the meat of the game.

And that's okay.
    FTFY. Take credit for your contribution, man! *grin* I kid, I kid. Seriously, the argument is done and gone in the last thread. You (not Imperfect, the folks who are asking) can dig it up there, if you feel like wasting your time. This is what demos are for, folks... if you like a demo, you're likely to like the game. If you don't, then skip it.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Comixology actually looks really sweet. Grabbed a couple freebies to get a feel for the quality and had zero issues reading without zooming. It also just so happens that two of the series that I used to read are on sale today including issues that are exactly where I left off.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a video player for the new Ipad that can handle HD video ?

I was using VLC, but the HD playback is glitchy and the audio is screwy. I've also tried BUZZ Player but the playback is bad on that, too. I've tried 720 and 1080 .mkv vids, and they all play the same.

I want to play vids from the ipad, not streaming (air play is working fine).

Ideas ?

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm tichey about early adopting (Especially with a device I'm droppig $700 on) so I'm going to wait a bit on the iPad. Where's a good website to watch for potential horror stories?

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I'm tichey about early adopting (Especially with a device I'm droppig $700 on) so I'm going to wait a bit on the iPad. Where's a good website to watch for potential horror stories?

At this point the iPad is hardly early adopter territory. It's like the third model year in on a new car design. At this point most of the kinks are worked out and there's a great ecosystem around it.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Have you followed Apple products at all? The entire internet will explode with the slightest provocation.

But echoing minor this is hardly early-adoption.

admanb on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    So, this game looks the business;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UezCZZmGcpI

I'm starting to amass a worrying number of (potential) apps on my laptop...

fragglefart.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I recommend building a wish list on AppShopper, and it'll send push notifications about price changes.

YL9WnCY.png
    Outside of rare incidents like antennas and the iPhone 4, early adoption is fairly safe. Unless you wish to save money by waiting on next year's price drop or the used market, you don't need to worry. Minor issue arise, such as light leaking or a (temporary) yellow tint, but your warranty handles that.

YL9WnCY.png
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

My apple horror story is that my iPad 2 had light leak syndrome when it tried to display black. Also, a single dead pixel.

The apple store just swapped it out for a new iPad 2 that didn't have a case of the stupids. Story duration: 2 days. Horror level: kitten out of 10

TheOtherHorseman on
    I live in Isolation, Alaska (There's no road in to this place: just a mountain/glacier one one side and the ocean on the other) so shipping stuff around is a PITA and takes forever, and there's no apple store within hundreds of miles.

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    I live in Isolation, Alaska (There's no road in to this place: just a mountain/glacier one one side and the ocean on the other) so shipping stuff around is a PITA and takes forever, and there's no apple store within hundreds of miles.

Maybe you shouldn't live in a place where man was never meant to dwell? :P

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    edited March 2012
    InkSplat wrote: »

Maybe you shouldn't live in a place where man was never meant to dwell? :P

Believe it or not, Alaskans decided to stick their capitol in this isolated slip of land. :D

You'd think they stick it somewhere where "overnight shipping" doesn't take 3 days, but whatever. :D

Undead Scottsman on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    I'm in Kodiak, AK. I got the new iPad at my door on release day.

Now if anything were to go wrong with then I may have a time issue on a return...

steam_sig.png
    I'm in Kodiak, AK. I got the new iPad at my door on release day.

Now if anything were to go wrong with then I may have a time issue on a return...

My coworker preordered his and it STILL wasn't delivered by the time he left work today.

So I started playing Tiny Tower.

I, uh, probably shouldn't have started playing Tiny Tower.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2012
    Bullio wrote: »

Oh my thank you/you bastard.

You reminded my to check my stores in Tiny Tower.

It is evil incarnate and I love it. I don't know how this Game Center business works but add SightTDW if anyone wants to compare slightly more literal than usual epeens.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    I have a caveat about Game Center in the OP.

Summary: your screen name is barely used, and your real name is what gets displayed. Just a warning.

YL9WnCY.png
    Just noticed that a moment ago. Doesn't bother me much, but I won't take personal offence to people not wanting to deal with that. It still seems like a pretty dumb decision. There at least aught to be an option.

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Man for some reason I thought CivRev iPad $6 price wasn't the sale price and it was going to go down a couple bucks. I AppShopper a bit and see its slashed from $13. I rush back to to the app store and then whoooooops sale over.

oh well is me.

steam_sig.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I have a caveat about Game Center in the OP.

Summary: your screen name is barely used, and your real name is what gets displayed. Just a warning.

Wait, you mean my real friends will know what I play Angry Birds?!

DEAR GODS NO.
    I totally don't care

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

You're gonna hate yourself. Took me 106 floors completely filled with dream jobs before I kicked the habit.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I just saw a list of the 18 games so far updated for the new ipad screen and one of them was parlour solitaire...

I read it as Parkour Solitaire... Now nothing can ever be as good.

• BrewBrew Registered User regular
    So I've been trying to decide whether to buy Chaos Rings and Chaos Rings Omega while it's on sale still. It's really tempting... :?
    I haven't played a decent JRPG in years so I think that's where this temptation is coming from. Maybe I'll just get the original for 3.99 and call it a day.

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
    Hey Rorus(or anyone else into boardgames), do you have any suggestions for boardgame apps that would be particularly suited to pass and play multiplayer?

Like, Carcassonne might be a super slick app and all, but I'm wondering about how fast the turns are, leading to lots of really fast passing back and forth. I'm trying to think of something with enough strategy to each turn that it might take a minute or two, instead of being measured in seconds.

Hey Rorus(or anyone else into boardgames), do you have any suggestions for boardgame apps that would be particularly suited to pass and play multiplayer?

Like, Carcassonne might be a super slick app and all, but I'm wondering about how fast the turns are, leading to lots of really fast passing back and forth. I'm trying to think of something with enough strategy to each turn that it might take a minute or two, instead of being measured in seconds.

Words With Friends has a built-in pass and play mode.

steam_sig.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Words With Friends has a built-in pass and play mode.

Just be warned -- the game isn't actually built for grammar/english nerds.

904748845_TGVEs-L.jpg

That pretty much happened to me when I tried playing with my wife.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    A lot of the problems with WWF could be fixed if they implemented an automatic lost/passed turn if you attempt 3 invalid words in a turn.

Our house rule in Scrabble was always that you lost 2 turns if you were challenged on a word and lost. It's like thunderdome up in here.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, WWF (and Wordfeud) really need a guess limit in them to curtail the random letter guessing. I freely admit that I do it, though.

Has anyone played Chaos Rings on the new iPad? The game looks like an aliased, pixleated mess and I'm wondering if it looks even worse on the retina.

EDIT: And since we were discussing comic apps in here, Comixology and Marvel just got their CMX-HD updates. The store itself looks much better. I'm not really noticing much of a difference for comics themselves. I have a few guesses as to why, but none of them are bad.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • BoognishBoognish Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

My favorite for pass-and-play board games is Tikal. Even though I own the actual board game, there are a lot of advantages with the app. On your turn, you are given 10 Action Points which can be used to do various things like moving around, uncovering temples, or setting up a base camp. You have a lot of options each turn, so it can lead to lengthy downtime while they are figuring out their moves.

One problem that happens frequently with the board game is that someone realizes near the end of their turn that they can't do everything that they thought they could, and would like to start their turn over. That can be annoying, but the alternative is that people then spend too much timing planning their turn before ever starting, making the already lengthy analysis paralysis problem even longer. Some people need to visualize each move to better understand their turn (sort of like moving your chess piece, but putting it back because something became much more obvious seeing it in action), or they forget all of the moves they had planned when they start taking their actions. What is good about the app is that you can restart at any point if you don't like your turn. Which means you can try things without worrying about screwing up or tracking every action point.

Another positive for the pass-and-play is that the board game can be kind of boring to sit and watch them mull over their turn. You can't plan your turn in advance because you will mostly need to react to what the other players do on their turns. So, it's a lot more fun to play in a pass-and-play environment where those that aren't taking turns go off and chat or whatever.

Also, the app has the advantage in the scoring department.

I will point out that the app is very unpolished and if you don't like the game itself, the app won't change your mind. (Unlike a well made app like Ascension where I don't like the face-to-face card game, but have played countless games on my iPhone... Oooh, Ascension might be a good pass-and-play, as well!)

Boognish on
    3DS: 5026-4424-9805
    Yes, this is the dialogue I want. Unfortunately, it sounds like Tikal might be tough to get my girlfriend to play if the interface isn't great. Ascension is a pretty slick app, but I think most turns would end up taking something like 30 seconds, so basically no downtime between turns, and I'm looking for something that will let my girlfriend(and me) have time to go back to playing around on the internet or an xbox game.

Puerto Rico is probably going to be my best option, but more options would be nice.

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Ticket to Ride also got an iPad port which has Pass n' Play.

steam_sig.png
    Having played Ticket to Ride the physical game, I can say that turns are generally pretty quick for hot seat multiplayer.

If you're like me, however, and don't want other PEOPLE touching your iPad, then you can play Wi-Fi and make your friend get the iPhone version.

YL9WnCY.png
  • BoognishBoognish Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Ticket to Ride also got an iPad port which has Pass n' Play.

Unfortunately, Ticket to Ride turns are even shorter than Carcassonne, unless you are taking new tickets.

Here is a video for Tikal that might help. I would recommend watching it just to see if you think it's something you two would enjoy. It's not great, but there aren't any other reviews for this game that I could find as it is relatively old (1999). I just watched this myself, so I was pretty amused to see that he mentions the exact problems I detailed earlier regarding analysis paralysis and people trying to restart their turns. Also, the variant brought up at the end is a lot better in terms of strategy, but so far the app doesn't allow it.

I would also recommend Caylus and Tigris & Euphrates as I think those are both better games, but they are much heavier than Tikal, and aren't as well suited for iPhone pass-and-play.

Boognish on
    3DS: 5026-4424-9805
  • KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    So, this game looks the business;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UezCZZmGcpI

I'm starting to amass a worrying number of (potential) apps on my laptop...

I bought that game and tried to play it. The gameplay mechanics drove me nuts so I uninstalled it after 10 minutes.

This discussion has been closed.