As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Secret Huntress Fan Club! (DC Comics: The New 52)

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I like the new (new) costume, and I like Perez's art in the #2 cover. That con sketch is alright except for PG's head

It's kind of weird because all three of those pics are different styles by George Perez and Huntress looks great in all of them, but Power Girl is lacking

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    well that costume looks awful

Also that art in general

Amanda Conner! Come back to us!

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Why is Martha Stewart the new Powergirl?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I bought a copy of Final Crisis. Jesus, this thing is nuts.

I've found a good use for it, though: Every time someone tries to suck me into Facebook drama, I grab Final Crisis, crack it open to a random page, and type the first thing I see, over and over again until everyone involved thinks I have mental health issues.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY IGNORANCE

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    at least you can pull the plug on the internets... all of them!

• SlaughterBeastSlaughterBeast Registered User regular
    I will be picking up the World's Finest to check it out. I am interested in what they'll do. Also Earth 2. Hopefully we get good James Robinson

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Wonder Woman was really good this week

The modernizations of Eros and Hephaestus are amazing

CYpGAPn.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Courtesy of JL7, I figured out the secret of the new 52!
    The supreme court is congress in their universe!

HadjiQuest on
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Positive: Continues interesting takes on Greek gods; Wonder Woman is starting to actually do stuff herself.
    Negative: Bigger character assassination than Amazons Attack re. the Amazons.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular

Positive: Continues interesting takes on Greek gods; Wonder Woman is starting to actually do stuff herself.
    Negative: Bigger character assassination than Amazons Attack re. the Amazons.

Needz more beez.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I'm confused, how is it character assassination? Isn't that basically how the amazons have always been? Or am I confusing the comics with greek mythology.

No, it is pretty accurate if I remember correctly.

And honestly, the Amazons could do with more flaws. The whole PERFECT UTOPIA OF WARRIOR WOMEN WHO ARE BOTH ANCIENT GREEK AND ALSO SUPER ADVANCED is kinda boring

CYpGAPn.png
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    No, it is pretty accurate if I remember correctly.

And honestly, the Amazons could do with more flaws. The whole PERFECT UTOPIA OF WARRIOR WOMEN WHO ARE BOTH ANCIENT GREEK AND ALSO SUPER ADVANCED is kinda boring

invisible jettttttttttttttttttttt

huntresssig.jpg
    Okay the invisible jet is pretty cool

CYpGAPn.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Can Wonder Woman not fly anymore? She was toted around by Green Lantern with Flash, Batman, and Aquaman in Justice League #7

also damn is Cliff Chiang's art so good

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The whole Amazon women sleeping with men and killing them is more true to the whole concept then much of how it was made to suit the comic originally so I got no problem with this.

Cade on
    The Amazons living in their perfect immortal Utopia always made Wonder Woman's ideas of bringing their view to "Man's World" somewhat off for me, so I like the change.

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    In the myths, the Amazons were an all female society which was savage and man-hating... according to the ancient Greeks. Who were a horribly misogynistic culture. The Amazons were basically a Greek morality tale: give women power, this is the fucked up shit you end up with. (It's also worth noting that the Amazons were not Greek themselves, they were foreigners off in Asia Minor.)

From the beginning, in Wonder Woman the Amazons have always been a purposeful reinvention of this. In Wonder Woman the stories that the Greeks told about them were propaganda, to dehumanise a group they felt threatened by. Wonder Woman presented "the true story of the Amazons" - all the constant harrassing shit they put up with from the Greeks eventually leading Aphrodite to give them a paradise to retire to.

The concept is in need of updating I'll agree - starting with exploring the rougher edges their society would have. But the core idea is a solid one. There's no need to throw it out, and replace it with the same generic Amazons you see at Marvel, in movies and tv shows, books and the Classical Greek misogynist tradition. Azzarello's taking something uniquely Wonder Woman and replacing it with Brand X. I'm honestly surprised, considering all the stuff he's saddling them with, he hasn't made them self-mutilating.

I think I typed enough huge posts on the old Wonder Woman thread that I won't bother expressing my view of the Amazons here, but suffice to say I think they should be background for Diana - liken to Superman's parents. Useful now and again as a story point, but the focus should be firmly off them, and on the hero.

(I've also soured a bit on Azzarello as a writer after finishing 100 Bullets, which through the first few volumes became potentially one of my favourite books and then fell apart completely down the stretch. Also, Lex Luthor: Man of Steel - disappointed by; but perhaps due to the hype for what I thought was a just-above-average book.)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    I very much enjoyed Justice League this month, although they didn't really seem like a team that had been together for five years. Green Lantern pushing the envelope with Batman to test limits seems like something they should have had worked out by now.

But this is the most interesting Steve Trevor I think I've ever read. Interested to see where this arc goes.

And the Shazam back up has me wanting to see more.

• JaythreefJaythreef Registered User regular
    Arryn wrote: »
    I very much enjoyed Justice League this month, although they didn't really seem like a team that had been together for five years. Green Lantern pushing the envelope with Batman to test limits seems like something they should have had worked out by now.

I definitely agree with that, plus all the arguing in the Watchtower. I was hoping that the present-day JL would be a well-oiled machine. That said, it's still one of my favorite titles.

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Thing is, if they'd set this arc like 6 months after the last one, or even a year, I wouldn't have batted an eye. Just seems a stretch for a team that's supposed to have been together as long as they have.

I still love a lot of the interactions and blending of these new personalities though.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I loved that there was an artist on the book that can actually draw facial expressions.

Yeah I think this is the first time i've cared about Steve Trevor

• RansRans Registered User regular
    flipped through JL#7 at the store and ultimately decided not to buy it. didn't seem to add anything to my GL-centric view of the DCU. glad to be rid of a 3.99 book, to be honest, especially when i don't care about Shazam (any version of him) even a little bit.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Not even Jeff Smith's? :(

• RansRans Registered User regular
    nope. lame magic-based superman that's even a more painfully obvious kid's power fantasy than every other superhero. it's cool if other people like the concept, it's just definitely not for me.

Rans goddamnit it isn't an opinion if we don't all share it

As someone with no back history with Shazam, the bait and switch with Billy himself was pretty interesting. Definitely looking forward to next month's JL.

huntresssig.jpg
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I don't really have strong feelings about captain marvel either way but I'll deal with shazam if it gets me more of Black Adam. Still hunting down a copy of dark ages but it was such a fantastic series coming out of 52 which was also a fantastic take on black adam (and incidentally made me hate the wall).

unless they change his name to black shazam... or kazam

initiatefailure on
    Well they said Black Adam in this backup so I doubt they'll change his name

huntresssig.jpg
    Yeah they have no reason to change his name

CYpGAPn.png
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    I like Captain Marvel, but that's just me. I don't really know what they're doing with this incarnation of Billy, but I'll wait and see if it goes anywhere I like (and it probably will, I'm easy to please when it comes to Shazam!). As to the rest of JL#7, I didn't really care for it. There seems to be a rather large disparity in how Johns writes certain characters in this book than how they act in other books. Is this book supposed to take place sometime in the past, or is it current?
    Hal Jordan is kind of a huge asshole, which is weird because he's fine in his main book. Batman is acting odd in relation to Justice League International, a team he helped found and supposedly professed a deep belief in, but now he hates with a passion and will "shut it down for [the U.N.]" if the U.N. doesn't shut it down first. It's just odd, I don't seem to be getting it, I might drop it if it doesn't improve.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Is the series all caught up with the present yet?

It is.

Maximum wrote: »

It is.

Yeah, there's a caption at the start that reads "Present Day."

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Rans wrote: »
    nope. lame magic-based superman that's even a more painfully obvious kid's power fantasy than every other superhero.

But that's exactly why I love him! He takes the idea that superheroes are a kids' power fantasy and makes it literal.

For me, the first anything I ever read with Captain Marvel was Kingdom Come, and I've liked him ever since then. Making Billy Batson a punk really rubs me the wrong way though, because Captain Marvel is supposed to be the outward expression of his hope and naive confidence.

To be honest, Jeff Smith's Shazam bothered me a little bit too by making Captain Marvel a different person than Billy Batson.

I liked the bit about JLI because it suggested there was something going on that Batman didn't approve of any more. It was a nice bit of verisimilitude.

huntresssig.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Arivia wrote: »
    I liked the bit about JLI because it suggested there was something going on that Batman didn't approve of any more. It was a nice bit of verisimilitude.

Stop that

Making me feel dumb that is.

Maximum on
This discussion has been closed.