As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: February part II is done, go to the next thread

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I sure prefer happy endings, myself. But that doesn't make 'not happy' endings worse for it. Some things need that downer ending.

Though the worst kind of downbeat endings are the ones the creators give just to fuck with the audience.

In this case, ME3 doesn't need to wrap up everything in a nice, pretty bow so I can feel good about myself. It just needs to make sense.

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    This is the very first time I've heard of DD. I must not be paying enough attention to capcom. Is there hype surrounding the game? Enough for them to expect anywhere near 10 million in sales?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Bender's Big Score was one of the films right? I think I saw all of them, I don't rmember anything too sad. What are you guy's talking about?

In Jurrasic Bark, the dog dies sad and lonely outside the pizza shop waiting for Fry to return.

In BBS, they go back in time and prevent that. Or something. I forget the specifics.

I'm pretty sure that
    Even though Fry goes back in time and prevents the dog from dying alone, the assasinized bender follows him back in time, blows up his home and we see the dogs charred corpse either fly towards the camera or unceremoniously plop onto the ground.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well. When they first showed it, it was looking pretty good.

Then they showed actual gameplay. And while it doesn't look bad, it doesn't look like 10 million sold either.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    This is the very first time I've heard of DD. I must not be paying enough attention to capcom. Is there hype surrounding the game? Enough for them to expect anywhere near 10 million in sales?

There's been some previews but unless I'm missing something there's not all that much hype for it yet.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

All I've ever really heard about Dragon's Dogma is Patrick Klepek on Giant Bomb E3 livestream for 2011 laughing his ass off about it being Capcom's most expensive game and half-jokingly proclaiming that they'll be ruined.

reVerse on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    You can pick up livestock in DD and throw them.

Otherwise I got nothing.

Nah, I dunno, it has some interesting elements but at the same time sounds like its missing some good opportunities. It might do well and be a decent game but I'd be extremely surprised if it DD even half as well as they are hoping.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Bender's Big Score was one of the films right? I think I saw all of them, I don't rmember anything too sad. What are you guy's talking about?

In Jurrasic Bark, the dog dies sad and lonely outside the pizza shop waiting for Fry to return.

In BBS, they go back in time and prevent that. Or something. I forget the specifics.

I'm pretty sure that
    Even though Fry goes back in time and prevents the dog from dying alone, the assasinized bender follows him back in time, blows up his home and we see the dogs charred corpse either fly towards the camera or unceremoniously plop onto the ground.

I don't remember. Probably. Sounds like something they'd do. I probably even laughed at it knowing what it 'meant'.

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure that

He's not charred, he's flash fossilized in dolomite by Bender's gun. It's the reason Seymour is able to be revived in the first place in Jurassic Bark, and why the dog was in a standing position, instead of sitting/laying like the ending to Jurassic bark shows him.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Dragon's Dogma will sell 10m copies just like DmC will sell 5m copies.

• Options
    DmC's gradually looking less horrible. With every new preview Dante looks less like a gaunt, 40-year-old asshole game director.

Then again, it's not exactly looking great either.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I'd like a kinect game that uses the con

Dragon's Dogma looks like it's supposed to be pretty cool. I'm not sure what 10 Million Sales is supposed to look like, but it looks pretty cool.

Not sure what Capcom's thinking, exactly, but I'm sure we'll find out one way or the other.

• Options
    R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto are the only two cross platform games that have sold over 10 million copies according to VG Charts.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Selling a million in Japan would require it to be the second best selling game on the PS3 there. That isn't really very doable.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    DmC's gradually looking less horrible. With every new preview Dante looks less like a gaunt, 40-year-old asshole game director.

What's disheartening about that stupid god damn redesign is that the very last game in the series starred a new lead character. Would it have been so terrible to drop Dante in favour of some new skinny goth kid? But to change a well liked character that drastically is the opposite of a good decision in my mind. I'm still hoping, however futile, that this really is some new kid deluded into thinking he's Dante. Then a few hours in, proper Dante shows up and stomps him.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    R0land1188 wrote: »
    Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto are the only two cross platform games that have sold over 10 million copies according to VG Charts.

...I think I need to put in the OP that VGChartz literally makes up numbers and is wildly unreliable. Wish it wasn't true since we desperately need a site like that, but there it is. Sorry. :(

• Options
    R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    R0land1188 wrote: »

...I think I need to put in the OP that VGChartz literally makes up numbers and is wildly unreliable. Wish it wasn't true since we desperately need a site like that, but there it is. Sorry. :(

Sorry about that then folks! Back to our regular programming.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So Call of Duty and GTA don't sell well, got it.

Allforce on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    So Call of Duty and GTA don't sell well, got it.

That's not what he said at all. He said VGChartz is full of shit. Everyone knows CoD and GTA sell well, but we don't know if it's 5m, 10m, 15m, 100m well...we have no clue other than what the publishers feed us.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    So Call of Duty and GTA sold 100m, got it.

• Options
    Good grief.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/37228/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV_Passes_22M_Shipped_Franchise_Above_114M.php

Some numbers. Way above 10M, but still, this is the fourth installment of a very successful series. Dragon's Dogma could do well for a new IP, but it would require an ungodly amount or marketing to reach 5M, much less 10M.

• Options
    Just for context, what's the latest numbers on Skyrim? That's probably the absolute best-case scenario for DD. Then again, Kingdoms of Amalur, something very similar, did 300K in its first month... not bad at all, but pretty far from 10 million and it had a lot of hype.

• Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

It's like I'm really reading really bad fan fiction.
    "I don't know if other Japanese developers are trying to become more global, but I know we definitely are," he said.

That's why you gave up on Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright and Megaman, right? This company has no idea what it's doing.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Well they never specified units, so it could be 10 million eighths of a game sold.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    MukkMukk Registered User regular
    Diablo 3 will launch about a week before Dragon's Dogma. Now, while the platforms will be different, there's bound to be significant overlap in the target audiences. The marketing for the game has also been pretty damn weak so far.

I think it could very well be a commercial flop.

• Options
    Don't forget dat Resident Evil 6 beta that's included with Dragoon Dogma. Crackdown numbers confirmed.

• Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    I like how they honestly believe that a single player monster hunter game is going to sell 1 million copies in Japan.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Just got a phone call from GeoTrust saying that they couldn't verify my XNA account's identity because I use hotmail. Apparently Microsoft Hotmail isn't good enough for a Microsoft XNA account.

• Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    I like how they honestly believe that a single player monster hunter game is going to sell 1 million copies in Japan.

Monster hunter 3G on the 3DS has no online multiplayer I'm pretty sure. (Local only. In Japan that's a big deal, but is stupid for here -local multiplayer is no different than singleplayer here since thats normally your only option.)

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Just got a phone call from GeoTrust saying that they couldn't verify my XNA account's identity because I use hotmail. Apparently Microsoft Hotmail isn't good enough for a Microsoft XNA account.

Well, hotmail is free. It's obviously not good enough. Plus, it's so 1990s.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Rubycat wrote: »
    Sigtyr wrote: »

Monster hunter 3G on the 3DS has no multiplayer I'm pretty sure.

Its got ad hoc multiplayer. Which works fine in Japan and on a portable system, it seems.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    skeldare wrote: »

Zeboyd Games still advertises on GeoCities. What do you expect?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Mukk wrote: »
    If they want to sell that much they should have a PC release. If that game doesn't have an autolock for ranged attacks I'm not buying it (on a console). I'm absolutely horrible at aiming with sticks, it feels so clumsy.

Wait, what?

There's not going to be a PC version?

What. the. fuck?

I think Capcom would prefer to be done with the console release. If they need the sales, the PC version is mandatory. It could probable better if it came with the patches.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Allforce wrote: »
    Someone posted a nice light-on-spoilers synopsis a few pages back when I asked. I think it boiled down to "all your choices through 3 games really mean nothing, Pick A, B, or C to continue on for your ending".

It's not a big deal when deus ex (any of the three two games) do it, but Mass Effect people go all crazy batshit.

To be fair, there is a significant investment in the Mass Effect universe. I created my Shepard, the choices made were mine, and I've been that Shepard for five years now. To say that people are all crazy batshit over a game is to ignore the emotional attachment to the fiction that Bioware itself wanted to create.

There is also the small fact that Bioware themselves said the ending wouldn't be like that.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/10/mass1525-effect-3-cas5ey-fdsafdhudson-interviewae.aspx?PostPageIndex=2
    Yeah, and I’d say much more so, because we have the ability to build the endings out in a way that we don’t have to worry about eventually tying them back together somewhere. This story arc is coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot more different. At this point we’re taking into account so many decisions that you’ve made as a player and reflecting a lot of that stuff. It’s not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I sure prefer happy endings, myself. But that doesn't make 'not happy' endings worse for it. Some things need that downer ending.

Though the worst kind of downbeat endings are the ones the creators give just to fuck with the audience.

In this case, ME3 doesn't need to wrap up everything in a nice, pretty bow so I can feel good about myself. It just needs to make sense.

And unfortunately, some things in the ME3 ending do not make sense.

People really need to understand that among the large amount of people unhappy with the ending, there are the crazy people who are stamping their feet and making demands, and the ones who simply did not like it with reasonable opinions and are just simply saying they didn't like it and why.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Zeboyd Games still advertises on GeoCities. What do you expect?

I imagine the Indie Games webring doesn't have a lot of traction.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Oh god, Webrings...

Also... When did Dante become part angel?

newSig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.