As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Obama Administration: Re-Elected! 332-206 (Probably)

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Well, it's not as if advertising people don't need to eat.

Three.
    Hundred.
    Million.

And then the Super PACs are shoveling even more cash into the furnace, too. Without a sanity cap, campaign spending is out of control.

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Well, it's not as if advertising people don't need to eat.

Three.
    Hundred.
    Million.

And then the Super PACs are shoveling even more cash into the furnace, too. Without a sanity cap, campaign spending is out of control.

That's the other way to look at it, sure: "We live in a world where it may take an incumbent President 1/2 to 3/4 of a billion dollars to beat even an unsensational challenger like Mitt Romney."*

That's not necessarily criticism of President Obama, but a critique of current campaign finance laws.

*EDIT - I don't want to mislead, either. That would just be in advertising expenditures alone. We've already passed the billion dollar campaign mark when you consider total expenditures.

Form of Monkey! on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Again, money spent in political campaigns doesn't vanish. It's given to people, who then spend that money on other things.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Again, money spent in political campaigns doesn't vanish. It's given to people, who then spend that money on other things.

Nope. Straight into the fire pit.

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular

Corporations are people, my friend!
    I tease because I love <3

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    My boss just brought this up, though she doesn't know that I'm currently browsing the forum.

After Obama's election, she was one of the people in line to buy guns. She says that it's because Obama's sole goal as president is to remove guns from the people of the United States, and that the only reason he hasn't done anything yet is because of the NRA's powerful lobbying machine, but that if he gets re-elected there will be no stopping him.

I'm not sure what to say to that really, so I just turned my laptop screen toward the wall and started typing this with a very serious concentration face. It looks like I'm working in Excel.

3cd8a33a.png

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    It's a simple logical conclusion.

You see, the NRA is putting all the money they....

No, wait. Let me start over.

After Obama gets re-elected, he and his cronies will...

Argh, I give up. When did real, stupid statements surpass my ability to come up with completely stupid reasonings as to why they aren't stupid statements?

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    My boss just brought this up, though she doesn't know that I'm currently browsing the forum.

After Obama's election, she was one of the people in line to buy guns. She says that it's because Obama's sole goal as president is to remove guns from the people of the United States, and that the only reason he hasn't done anything yet is because of the NRA's powerful lobbying machine, but that if he gets re-elected there will be no stopping him.

I'm not sure what to say to that really, so I just turned my laptop screen toward the wall and started typing this with a very serious concentration face. It looks like I'm working in Excel.

Yeah, my dad's the same way. I just don't get it. I am getting a CCW permit, and a pistol(don't know if I'll actually carry), etc, and I just don't get it. I really think its driven by the NRA, they basically won the gun-control fight of the 90/00s on a federal level, and the few areas they feel the need to fight on things are generally state level only (IL has no CCW yet, some states have it in name only etc). Plus, those issue are only attempts to further liberalize policies, further gun control measures are so toxic that outside of a few reps from super-liberal districts no Dems will go near it, so there's no proposed legislation to rail against. Its basically like now that they won...they don't know what to do with themselves. But they can't just close up shop, so they are basically making up shit to stay relevant.

Like as big of a cluster fuck as the whole gun-walker/Fast and Furious thing was, I'm pretty sure it wasn't part of some Obama conspiracy to undermine gun rights in the US, but go pick up one of the NRA mags(or find the thread on here), and that's what's there. Then again the whole pro-gun movement got thrown for a loop with Bush. As they had a president who was actually doing all the crazy-big-government spying stuff they were all paranoid about during Clinton, but was clearly not anti-gun, and it was also to "Fight Terrorism USA USA USA RAH RAH". So they basically find themselves now in the situation they were 'warning' everyone of in the 90s, and they cheered the whole way there.

Look for any specific examples on Obama, and you'll get the standard UN-New World Order-One World Government conspiracy crap.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    This may just reflect how different NZ and my personal experience has been to yours Taramoor, but the idea of an adult woman being so worried about the leadership of her country that bought a gun straight after the election, weirds the hell out of me. I'd always hoped they would be slightly more reasonable about that side of things.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Kalkino wrote:
    This may just reflect how different NZ and my personal experience has been to yours Taramoor, but the idea of an adult woman being so worried about the leadership of her country that bought a gun straight after the election, weirds the hell out of me. I'd always hoped they would be slightly more reasonable about that side of things.

I'm an avid precision shooter and my friends and I load most of our own ammo. I use a .204 primarily, my buddy a .308. The .308 is the standard NATO 7.62 mm round. I live in Canada. There was such a massive rush on ammunition in the US that it was nearly impossible for my friend to buy any .30 cal ammo for months. Everyone was out of stock. It was nuts.

The US has been going mental ever since the election.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    To be somewhat fair: 5.56 and 7.62 NATO rounds(and especially reloading components) were hard as hell to find for years before Obama. Apparently have 150k-180k deployed troops in combat zones for years on end, eats through ammunition at a hell of a rate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3rhQc666Sg

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote:

I'm an avid precision shooter and my friends and I load most of our own ammo. I use a .204 primarily, my buddy a .308. The .308 is the standard NATO 7.62 mm round. I live in Canada. There was such a massive rush on ammunition in the US that it was nearly impossible for my friend to buy any .30 cal ammo for months. Everyone was out of stock. It was nuts.

The shortage is proof that they're right!

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote:

I have a friend who had the same problem finding ammo right after the election.

I hope someone comes up with a way to drastically increase lifespans. I'd love to be around in 100 years to see what the history books say about America during the Obama administration.

(Also, because being a 130-year-old storyteller would be awesome. "Gather around, kiddos. Let me tell you about when America went bonkers. It was the end of 2008. No, Jimmy, there weren't flying cars yet. Where was I? Oh, right, it was 2008 and President Obama was just elected to his first term. The Republicans... What's that? Oh, they were the other major political party of the time. They aren't around anymore. Anyway, the Republicans LOST THEIR SHIT....")

Tomanta on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Obama? That one term muslim president before the age of santorum?

What was it like living in a country where women could leave the house and gays didn't live in special camps for sinners

override367 on
  • Options
    "Age of Santorum" put some interesting imagery in my mind.

None of it was good.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/03/19/447096/racist-bumper-sticker/

Ms. Smith insisted that the bumper sticker is not racist. I asked her about the “N” word, for which “nig” is the shortened version. “According to the dictionary [the N word] does not mean black. It means a low down, lazy, sorry, low down person. That’s what the N word means.”

Even if one were to ignore the racial scars of left by the “N-word” and rely solely on an academic definition, Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary defines it as an offensive word referring to “a black person.”

But she goes further, explaining that her website found the design on a different site in 2010 and decided to sell it herself because she “thought it was cute.” Pressed by Forbes on whether she thought the N-word is offensive at all, she replied “no,” explaining that she herself doesn’t use it and that she has “helped black families.” “And besides,” she added, “Obama is not even black. He’s got a mixture of race. It’s his choice of what his nationality is.”

So not only is she a racist, but she's an IP thief as well.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Ms. Smith insisted that the bumper sticker is not racist. I asked her about the “N” word, for which “nig” is the shortened version. “According to the dictionary [the N word] does not mean black. It means a low down, lazy, sorry, low down person. That’s what the N word means.”

Even if one were to ignore the racial scars of left by the “N-word” and rely solely on an academic definition, Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary defines it as an offensive word referring to “a black person.”

But she goes further, explaining that her website found the design on a different site in 2010 and decided to sell it herself because she “thought it was cute.” Pressed by Forbes on whether she thought the N-word is offensive at all, she replied “no,” explaining that she herself doesn’t use it and that she has “helped black families.” “And besides,” she added, “Obama is not even black. He’s got a mixture of race. It’s his choice of what his nationality is.”

And an idiot.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I figured "racist" implied idiot.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • Options
    The first clue that a word you are using is racist?

Having to explain why the word is not racist.

• Options
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Whoever has the largest money fire wins the election! It may actually be more straightforward than our system now, and not really impact the outcomes that much.

In all seriousness, campaigns do create jobs, which is Romney has to keep firing his campaign staff. Can't have unemployment going down, can he?

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Whoever has the largest money fire wins the election! It may actually be more straightforward than our system now, and not really impact the outcomes that much.

And it's counter-inflationary!

From an outside perspective, the US election process has become less like a a defined process to ensure administrative continuity and more like a quadriennial bacchanalian religious festival*. In which case making a sacrifice of burnt offerings is not only reasonable but thematically appropriate. I don't see why $DEITY wouldn't be just as happy with a few crates of $10 bills as He evidently was with some cow parts.

*Rush Limbaugh in drag = chief bacchante;

Participlebacchāns m., f., and n. (genitive bacchantis); third declension

1.celebrating the festival rites of Bacchus
    2.revelling, raving or ranting like the bacchanals
    3.going, running or roaming about in a wild, raving or furious manner
    4.(of inanimate things) being furious, raging with fury

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Kalkino wrote: »

It's worse in America. IIRC during an early speech Obama made after winning the election a crowd of heavily armed Republican protesters showed up outside the building.

Had liberals done this during Dubya's reign they'd have been shot & arrested by the police.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

It's worse in America. IIRC during an early speech Obama made after winning the election a crowd of heavily armed Republican protesters showed up outside the building.

Had liberals done this during Dubya's reign they'd have been shot & arrested by the police.

I believe the tea party signs were "I'm exercising my First Amendment today , so I don't have to exercise my Second Amendment tommorow", and the perenially favorite "Time to water the tree of liberty".

mindspork on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    mindspork wrote: »

I believe the tea party signs were "I'm exercising my First Amendment today , so I don't have to exercise my Second Amendment tommorow", and the perenially favorite "Time to water the tree of liberty".

I wonder what they'd say if a group of heavily armed homosexuals did the same in front of a church.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

"Descent: the highest form of patriotic"

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular

In all seriousness, campaigns do create jobs, which is Romney has to keep firing his campaign staff. Can't have unemployment going down, can he?

This emphasis on the short-term "positive economic impact" of campaign spending is quite possibly the saddest and most cynical argument against campaign finance reform ever. It was often used by moneyed GOP candidates in past races as evidence of trickle down in action. "I give $100,000 dollars to a television station in Des Moines, and that station then has the resources to hire a new receptionist. You see, America? Do you see?!"

Now that the financials are out on the 2008 election, and we know that the opening bid for a Presidency is a billion dollars no matter who you are, it seems Democrats are not above this either.

• Options
    fugacityfugacity Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I'd also like to point out that it's not his fucking choice of nationality, he's a natural born American citizen. So this walking cancer has even swapped genetic defects with the Birther retards. Wonderful.

fugacity on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Speaking of birfers, America's Favorite Sheriff is claiming that a media conspiracy is hiding The Truth:
    http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/EJMontini/157589

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular

"Well, I still don't think it should be considered a racial term. I mean, I've always used it to describe lazy people, not lazy black people! I think if we really tried, we could re-claim it, and save it."

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    emnmnme wrote: »

I'm not sure of the point here, I mean... I dunno

Yeah there are welfare queens that exist in one of the cities with the best safety net in the country. They are voting in line with their own interests at least.

I think only extremely disingenuous liberals claim that people who abuse welfare do not exist, it's just that they constitute a small enough minority as to be unworth discussing in real terms. People who use the government and simultaneously decry government assistance on the other hand? There are tens of millions of those people

override367 on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    She's showing that she's not just unfair to hicks from Mississippi! Both sides are dumb! Aren't I a clever privileged white person from the coasts?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

I wonder what they'd say if a group of heavily armed homosexuals did the same in front of a church.

I thought about writing a post where I said
    They wouldn't say anything.

Their guns would say a lot, though.

Mostly variations on the theme of "blam" and "boom" and "pow".

Then I realized these people are cowards--part of the reason for their gun fetish--and wouldn't have the gonads to even point a weapon at anyone similarly armed.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
  • Options
    Not really. He would've passed it eventually if the Republicans had left it alone. There's no reason not to build it so long as it's not going through Ogallala. All the State Department wanted was enough time for TransCanada to find an alternate route.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Funny thing about the ammo shortage and 2008; I had a nutball friend who was stocking up in late 2008 because he thought Bush wouldn't leave office without a fight.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Not really. He would've passed it eventually if the Republicans had left it alone. There's no reason not to build it so long as it's not going through Ogallala. All the State Department wanted was enough time for TransCanada to find an alternate route.

It will use a ton of water from our aquifers, result in essentially no American jobs, and terminates in a tax-free zone so no one benefits but oil companies.

There is no reason to build it unless you are an oil company.

It's hugely disappointing that it's getting built at all.

• Options
    UrcbubUrcbub Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    It's a simple logical conclusion.

You see, the NRA is putting all the money they....

No, wait. Let me start over.

After Obama gets re-elected, he and his cronies will...

Argh, I give up. When did real, stupid statements surpass my ability to come up with completely stupid reasonings as to why they aren't stupid statements?

Sarah Palin

This discussion has been closed.