As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heya! It's me Imoen!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Rescuing Imoen was always pretty goofy, cuz like she's a not very good mage and a good but not very high level thief, and she hasn't gotten any spell scrolls and we're all like at least 3 or 4 levels above her.

So I always want to bring her along, but I also don't want to carry her useless ass through several complex dungeons before we ever get back to an equipment shop

one of the interesting things that got cut from BG2

In the Spellhold Dungeon, Bodhi is supposed to stalk you and force you to turn into the Slayer - and once you lose control and fight her off, you then turn on Imoen and perma-kill her. They eventually cut it late into testing (a lot of people protested about the twist), but this is why Imoen has almost no dialog from there on in Shadows of Amn.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    btw, if you import your bg1 character, does imoen still multi-class herself into mage?

I would've been perfectly happy with her if she'd just stayed as a thief

she does

Ya, she needs to be a mage so there's a reason to stick her in Spellhold.

Oh yeah, duh

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    why she has no dialogue ever

imoen boringest char

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    btw, if you import your bg1 character, does imoen still multi-class herself into mage?

I would've been perfectly happy with her if she'd just stayed as a thief

she does

There are mods that can fix this, though. Can tweak how any NPC is built by the game most any way you like.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Fuck Bodhi.

Literally. :winky:

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    one time I rolled a party of all-custom characters and then pasted all their stats and traits onto existing NPCs on a different save with shadowkeeper

so it kept all the dialog and plots and stuff but instead of regular boring characters I had archer minsc and assassin imoen and sorcerer aerie and so on

it was a lot of work but definitely worth it (unlike haer'dalis who is 100% worthless in every way)

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Fuck Bodhi.

Literally. :winky:

her sprite is pretty hot...

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I liked Bodhi's voice actress

• Options
    Arang wrote: »
    one time I rolled a party of all-custom characters and then pasted all their stats and traits onto existing NPCs on a different save with shadowkeeper

so it kept all the dialog and plots and stuff but instead of regular boring characters I had archer minsc and assassin imoen and sorcerer aerie and so on

it was a lot of work but definitely worth it (unlike haer'dalis who is 100% worthless in every way)

he's a lot better if you use shadowkeeper to change him to one of the bard kits that isn't worthless

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Sham-bam-bammina.

Seriously, though, I tried to play Baldur's Gate and I gave up immediately when I couldn't hit anything in the first dungeon.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

he's a lot better if you use shadowkeeper to change him to one of the bard kits that isn't worthless

little does he know that all the bard kits are useless

• Options
    Jars wrote: »

little does he know that all the bard kits are useless

that's not true

vanilla bard and skald are both good

• Options
    sklads got obsoleted with tob because improved bard song is the same regardless of kit

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    sklads got obsoleted with tob because improved bard song is the same regardless of kit

yes, good point

• Options
    all this talk makes me want to play through BG1 and 2 again

I think I'll just try and wait for Enhanced though

• Options
    Wait wasn't Haer'Dalis a blade?

Blades were fun!

Granted their full potential is a bit limited, but you could do some pretty fun builds with them. Offensive spin with the right weapons really really stings.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular

That's a pretty good idea actually!

Back in the day I used to rip sounds and portraits from different games for custom packs

Half-Life scientist as a cleric had lines that fit perfectly

"With my brains and your brawn we'll make an excellent team."

"Hmm. I appear to be seriously wounded. But I can keep going!"

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Man, I love the Baldur's Gate games. I might have forgotten why.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Wait wasn't Haer'Dalis a blade?

Blades were fun!

Granted their full potential is a bit limited, but you could do some pretty fun builds with them. Offensive spin with the right weapons really really stings.

yeah, they're cool for flavor reasons

but mechanically, they can't do anything that other classes can't do far, far better

and the tradeoff is that they're also not very good at the things that you would traditionally want a bard for

• Options
    I think Irenicus might be the best villain. And I loved the weird environments in the Underdark. Shark people!

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Edcrab wrote: »

That's a pretty good idea actually!

Back in the day I used to rip sounds and portraits from different games for custom packs

Half-Life scientist as a cleric had lines that fit perfectly

"With my brains and your brawn we'll make an excellent team."

"Hmm. I appear to be seriously wounded. But I can keep going!"

a cousin of mine had an entirely custom team based on television characters

he had five (plus his main character, who was Drizzt Do'Urden)

all I remember is Johnny Bravo and Cosmo Kramer

• Options
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    I think Irenicus might be the best villain. And I loved the weird environments in the Underdark. Shark people!

Irenicus was absolutely fantastic

normally it's silly that villains constantly let the person who ultimately stops them get away over and over again

but it's totally believable that Irenicus would think so little of you that he doesn't even need to concern himself with killing you

• Options

It seems to me that BGII was essentially the story of the fall of Irenicus. A hero led to death by his tragic flaw.

And he pulls some evil shit on you that you actually have to take note of gameplay wise. Great way to draw the player into the story.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Planescape is my recommendation, but it's very dense from a dialogue and story perspective, so it depends on how your mood is.

Tips for Planescape if you do play it: go mage. Wis and Int are the two most important stats in that game without question, and mage is the only class that directly benefits from Int. Wis is the most important stat, partly because it effects how much bonus experience you get, but mostly because it effects your dialogue options. All the strengths of this game are in the dialogue, and you want as much as you can get. Int also affects dialogue, so it's similarly important.

Raise them both as often and as soon as possible for the best Planescape experience.

this man

he speaks the truth

I'd like to point out that charisma is also very useful in dialogue

Hmm, maybe I should try and play Planscape like this. I've tried the game a few times but I'm biased against magic users so I always make melee killers and the game was always a let down. Not nearly enough nitty gritty, too much "an alleyway gave birth" "and we're the fuck club!". I'll see if I can find the time one day to play as an undumb.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Planescape is my recommendation, but it's very dense from a dialogue and story perspective, so it depends on how your mood is.

Tips for Planescape if you do play it: go mage. Wis and Int are the two most important stats in that game without question, and mage is the only class that directly benefits from Int. Wis is the most important stat, partly because it effects how much bonus experience you get, but mostly because it effects your dialogue options. All the strengths of this game are in the dialogue, and you want as much as you can get. Int also affects dialogue, so it's similarly important.

Raise them both as often and as soon as possible for the best Planescape experience.

this man

he speaks the truth

Hmm, maybe I should try and play Planscape like this. I've tried the game a few times but I'm biased against magic users so I always make melee killers and the game was always a let down. Not nearly enough nitty gritty, too much "an alleyway gave birth" "and we're the fuck club!". I'll see if I can find the time one day to play as an undumb.

yeah dude

honestly, the game is easy enough that you could just be a really smart fighter and even with shitty strength/con you'll probably be able to beat it

you can make up for your junk stats with tattoos and whatnot

Dak'Kon and Vhailor (and, to a lesser extent, Morte) will handle shit if the nameless one can't

also, I should point out that because of the game's odd take on the AD&D ruleset, the nameless one as a mage is still a capable hand-to-hand combatant

in fact playing as a mage is the only way to get the lowest possible AC

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    In my one play of Planescape, I switched to mage as early as possible, and I made it to level 7 or so without ever resting to memorise spells.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I didn't realize that Keith David was Vhailor

That's awesome

I knew of the rest of the voice cast, but not Keith David!

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    So this thread got me to reinstall Arcanum. Holy crap I forgot how great playing as a stupid character is. Or in my case, cheating the system by using the Idiot Savant background. Thus giving you the idiot dialogue but you can still have the Int for spells or schematics.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular

this man

he speaks the truth

yeah dude

honestly, the game is easy enough that you could just be a really smart fighter and even with shitty strength/con you'll probably be able to beat it

Dak'Kon and Vhailor (and, to a lesser extent, Morte) will handle shit if the nameless one can't

also, I should point out that because of the game's odd take on the AD&D ruleset, the nameless one as a mage is still a capable hand-to-hand combatant

Yeah I seem to recall as mage raking in more kills at earlier levels with a dagger than with spells. Probably even in later levels when I didn't feel like casting anything.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So I grabbed Icewind Dale off of GoG.com

man...its like BG but with 90% less story and you make your entire party. Not really feeling it, but I'll play it through and see if I like it at all

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I hope they do some more to improve the interface

• Options

this man

he speaks the truth

yeah dude

Yeah I seem to recall as mage raking in more kills at earlier levels with a dagger than with spells. Probably even in later levels when I didn't feel like casting anything.

yeah, assuming you've taken a few levels as fighter (I usually get 7 or 8 before switching to Mage for good), the Nameless one's pretty good at stabbinfolk.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Irenicus is one of my favourite villains ever

some of his lines are delivered with superb distaste for other, lesser beings

"Your pathetic magics are useless. Let this end."

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    So I grabbed Icewind Dale off of GoG.com

man...its like BG but with 90% less story and you make your entire party. Not really feeling it, but I'll play it through and see if I like it at all

having a priest in that game can give you some huge buffs, since prayer/chant/recitation all stack if I remember correctly

I'd pretty much have all of my party do super buffs with haste, chants, holy might and then rampage across the map and clear half of it in 90 seconds.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Archers were boss in Icewind Dale, if I remember rightly

Archers are pretty much just amazing in any of those games at a low level

• Options
    archers the kit are amazing right up until the last fight. bows own in BG1 since everything has 10 hp and you have a lower thaco with one, and in BG2 you can get that tungion bow right at the start and have 4 attacks per round with the same damage mods a kensai gets.

• Options
    Yeah, I mean just like at lvl 9 you get +3 tohit and +3 damage every hit, and with the nice shortbow you're getting 3 or 4 shots a round

so you're already getting up to +12 damage a round just from your class skill. Once you get into the teens you can be dealing more damage per round than your front row fighters with normal arrows

And then against nasties if you use things like fire or acid arrows? Good lord.

BG2 is a ton of fun, but there's a lot of ways in which it's not really balanced. Which is OK, since there's just SO MUCH GAME, and besides your party is supposed to be ridiculously epic anyway

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    man now i definitely gotta get an ipad

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    yeah it's only at the very end when everyone is immune to +3 weapons or greater that archers really run into trouble

but my favorite class has always been archer, and my archer always had the most amount of kills out of my party members