As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I really don't see a point to using a level 20 character in Bronze. But people do it.

I've done it quite a bit because you still
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I don't know this will probably get me hate but
    The more I think about it the more I think there should be some kind of happy ending, they seem to have forgotten the sweet part of bittersweet

The entire rest of the game is just crushingly depressing, all the little subplots, everything it's just so fucking weighty. Then the ending feels like the end to the Mist, but it's poorly written to boot.

The reapers win no matter what you do, Harbinger was right it was inevitable. Might as well have given up and taken the Normandy to some beach planet off the beaten path and kicked back until the end came. The only ending that isn't depressing is the synthesis one, and that one doesn't make logical or thematic sense (what is all inert material alive now? In the entire galaxy?

Actually, I find
    Synthesis to be the most genuinely depressing of all. Because it says that racial homogeny is the only way to peace.
    Yeah, it basically goes against everything Paragon Jesus Shephard has been trying to do the entire series, which is to unite all of the races/etc together and show that even though they are different they can work together or whatever. So the ending of the game is to just merge everything together and make everyone the same...

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »
    It just feels like people who are getting angry over this letter are just trying to stay angry. It just reminds me of my daughter who, when she's already having a meltdown about something, if she starts to calm down will actively look for, and ask for, things that she knows will keep her upset.

Putting aside any considerations of whether that's the only way to make a difference... I was hoping for an acknowledgement that the ending is not in fact totally perfect. Instead, I got what appears to be a pile of mush. If wanting a better ending is unreasonable or unrealistic then I guess I'll just have to accept that I can realistically and reasonably expect to be highly disappointed, but it would still be nice.

What? What you're saying is the complete opposite of reality. You wanted an acknowledgement that the ending is not in fact totally perfect and that is precisely what was said. I mean, fuck, damn near to the word.

And to your second sentence, man, good lord, it's like you read the release but are actively trying to pretend you didn't.

You might as well say "I wanted this thing, and they said they were looking into giving it to me. Those assholes, why can't they give me what I want?"

That is how little sense you made.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    The bitterness is self-sustaining at this point, so even a remarkably forward comment by one of the founders (and let's be clear here -- I think almost every single other thing the doctors have ever said is saturated to the point of meaningless in marketing speech) or PR people asking for measured feedback and saying the team is paying attention just sets people off as insufficient. They want human sacrifice. For those of us that don't think crucifying someone is a reasonable reaction to a mistake, even a big, dumb and preventable one, that seems pretty crazy.

I mean, christ, if you're complaining that Casey Hudson has a professional photograph on his website, you need to go to a hermitage for a week. The internet is bad for your blood pressure. I think the endings are patently awful, but I'm not going to fly into conniptions over every tentative remark from people who are obviously concerned about it. Maybe we will get something impressive to salve the let down. Maybe not! You might as well come to terms with it now.
    The more I think about it the more I think there should be some kind of happy ending, they seem to have forgotten the sweet part of bittersweet
    I go back and forth on it. Really, it depends on how well it's written (o reader, I see the spark in your eyes, but peace). Considering the stakes and the much more humanized tone of Shepard in ME3 vs the fierce deity of ME2 (death couldn't stop me, and I flawlessly passed a suicide mission and trumped another spectre, and punched out a yahg, and took down an entire base by myself etc.), I'm not sure a 'happy' ending really works. On the other hand, you can have poignance without reflexively martyring everything, itself often a pretty easy and uninteresting conclusion, and one of the dissatisfying points of the ending for me is that Shepard's death feels contrived (jump in that incinerating beam, grab those live wires -- doubt not the ways of magic, young wizard).

But it can't be like ME2's ending where you 100% and then it's all lollipops.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    It just feels like people who are getting angry over this letter are just trying to stay angry. It just reminds me of my daughter who, when she's already having a meltdown about something, if she starts to calm down will actively look for, and ask for, things that she knows will keep her upset.

Putting aside any considerations of whether that's the only way to make a difference... I was hoping for an acknowledgement that the ending is not in fact totally perfect. Instead, I got what appears to be a pile of mush. If wanting a better ending is unreasonable or unrealistic then I guess I'll just have to accept that I can realistically and reasonably expect to be highly disappointed, but it would still be nice.

What? What you're saying is the complete opposite of reality. You wanted an acknowledgement that the ending is not in fact totally perfect and that is precisely what was said. I mean, fuck, damn near to the word.

And to your second sentence, man, good lord, it's like you read the release but are actively trying to pretend you didn't.

You might as well say "I wanted this thing, and they said they were looking into giving it to me. Those assholes, why can't they give me what I want?"

Say what you mean to say

"Tenek, your statement makes as much sense as the
    Synthesis ending."

• Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    I feel like I've been pretty vocal about the degree to which I disliked the ending, but I honestly can't find anything to fault in what Dr. Ray said.

He acknowledged that a fair number of people have disliked it (instead of dismissing it), noted that they're going to work to provide content that gives more clarity, and asked for people to continue to provide constructive feedback.

I'm honestly not sure what else people could have asked for in this situation. No one who cares about their employees are going to throw them under the bus publicly (though I don't doubt there are some private tongue lashings being handed out) and since they have no concrete plans as of yet, there's nothing concrete to provide.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    What makes people think BioWare had no plans to do SOMETHING with the endings? That's like saying they had no plans to make more money. THAT would be surprising.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Rent wrote: »
    Also:

snip

It's weird that @Ben Kuchera is being such a whiner about Bioware changing the ending. You'd think that, being a game journalist and all, he'd have experience writing bad fiction nerds disagree with.

I dont find it suprising.

Honestly, he's the reason I stopped reading Ars Technica in the first place because he was often a whiny twat and I virtually never agreed with anything he said about games. I was really disappointed with the PA Presents announcement and just try to ignore that it exists. Given how he responded to the ending stuff to begin with, him being a child over this isn't surprising at all.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

The entire rest of the game is just crushingly depressing, all the little subplots, everything it's just so fucking weighty. Then the ending feels like the end to the Mist, but it's poorly written to boot.

The reapers win no matter what you do, Harbinger was right it was inevitable. Might as well have given up and taken the Normandy to some beach planet off the beaten path and kicked back until the end came. The only ending that isn't depressing is the synthesis one, and that one doesn't make logical or thematic sense (what is all inert material alive now? In the entire galaxy?

That's like saying MGS4 should have been a happy game to have been a good game. Given the job of wrapping up 20+ YEARS of story telling, it was also the most horribly depressing game in the series with the exception of one or two bright spots near the end. And they weren't THAT bright.

I like the fact that most of ME3 is spent fighting total despair. Because that's what you do when fighting evil mecha gods.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    I think this is the first time in the history of ever we've agreed on something, herpes

this feels...odd

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I'm glad they've come out and said that they'll be addressing the issues with the ending, I hope they're able to pull it off.
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm here to complain about a different ending: Priority Rannoch. I've never felt so railroaded since the end of Fallout 3.
    Where was my "I'll let you upload the code, if you let the Quarians have Rannoch" option. I'd have taken a "Ok, if you spare the Quarian fleet" option as well.

And then when not-Legion turned it down, I could kill all the Geth for a reason. I understand not letting me have peace between the two (despite making all the correct choices - I looked it up), since Legion died on the Suicide Mission. That's a perfectly fair consequence. But not allowing me to actually weigh my options before picking what race to exterminate is just poor writing.

That and the Reaper fight right before it is really silly. If you fight the Reaper like it's aiming at you (by waiting to dodge at the last second), you die. If you just walk aimlessly back and forth, you'll beat it.

Indeed, that first part sucked as did:
    Moridin getting blown up and them covering their asses story-wise by suddenly making you dismiss your squad. Which could include a disposable robot body. Or if you didn't have Kaiden, EDI too! :)

Had to be him. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    What makes people think BioWare had no plans to do SOMETHING with the endings? That's like saying they had no plans to make more money. THAT would be surprising.

Because they'd said Shepard's story ends with 3. Because they lock you out of saving the game for the entire endgame run. Because they drop you back into the ship into a position to take the endgame ride. Because of the text box on the screen when they do so.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dr. Worm wrote: »
    Dr. Worm wrote: »
    I can't find a single thing wrong with Ray's statement.

The point about the reviews is to note that those reviewers, assuming they played the whole game, gave the game very high marks in spite of/due to/regardless of the endings. It's not a neener neener point at all.

Frankly I thought the statement was pretty humble coming from the CEO of a business.

Yeah I really don't see anything in it to get up in arms over. It felt like what needed to be said.

Pointing out the reviews, if for no other reason, is to try to assure people who may be on the fence about buying the game because of the whole ending fiasco and at the same time say to investors and such "hey, see, it's not like the game is crap, don't run away".

I have a toddler as well, and know well the behavior of which you speak.

There's nothing Bioware can do at this point that would stop making people angry. They could release a new 25 hour DLC tomorrow that gives fans the ending they want (whether it be Return of the Jedi or Elcor Holocaust or Snakes on a MFing Plane) and release it for FREE and give everyone a grape-flavored unicorn to go along with it, a unicorn that shits rainbows, mind you, and they'd still be subject to nerd rage and vows never to buy another Bioware product again because the unicorn wasn't already included in the Collector's Edition.

And that's a shame.
    A grape-flavoured unicorn? I asked for lemon-lime!

And why the FUCK doesn't my unicorn shit cupcakes, B$oWa$e?!!

UN-ORDER PRE-CANCELLED

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    On Ending:
    So one thing I think is hilarious. Aparently, being full on paragon gives you the ability to make the indoctrinated shoot themselves in the head. First Saren, then Martin Sheen. What is this? Code Geas?

• Options
    @Shen That made is awesome. Until it ended. Then it was forced.

• Options
    I think this is the first time in the history of ever we've agreed on something, herpes

this feels...odd

Yeah I know. Maybe we should talk about Enslaved so it feels more right. :lol:

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Ok, so I'm here to complain about a different ending: Priority Rannoch. I've never felt so railroaded since the end of Fallout 3.
    Where was my "I'll let you upload the code, if you let the Quarians have Rannoch" option. I'd have taken a "Ok, if you spare the Quarian fleet" option as well.

And then when not-Legion turned it down, I could kill all the Geth for a reason. I understand not letting me have peace between the two (despite making all the correct choices - I looked it up), since Legion died on the Suicide Mission. That's a perfectly fair consequence. But not allowing me to actually weigh my options before picking what race to exterminate is just poor writing.

That and the Reaper fight right before it is really silly. If you fight the Reaper like it's aiming at you (by waiting to dodge at the last second), you die. If you just walk aimlessly back and forth, you'll beat it.

Moridin getting blown up and them covering their asses story-wise by suddenly making you dismiss your squad. Which could include a disposable robot body. Or if you didn't have Kaiden, EDI too! :)

Har har.
    While Kaiden is okay with dying (does he EVER survive Virmire? Like, I know it's possible, but... who really saves him?), he doesn't have the technical proficiency to do what is needed.

EDI isn't to the point in her development where she'll sacrifice herself for others, really. They make a big deal of it when she gets there. It's also clear that she pretty much immediately integrates her Metropolis-bod into her sense of self (given how fast she latches onto the notion of being Joker's girlfriend).

Mordin also wouldn't fucking let anyone else take the hit for him. Anyone else might do it wrong.

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    People keep saying EDI is disposable but that body is her only chance of forming a destiny beyond being...a ship.

Also you can send EDI there

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I have a lot of sympathy for the Bioware coders right now. The ending fiasco is in no way their fault, but instead of spending a few weeks post release making sure there's no game breaking bugs, and then going for a couple of weeks of coke and hookers on a beach somplace, they're now faced with internet rage and a development task and schedule that probably makes the pre-gold crunch look like the CompSci 101 'helloWorld' homework assignment.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    but seriously everyone here should read the PA report from ben kuchera about the bioware ending haters

i don't even really like the mass effect series and it pissed me off from how smug and douchey it was

Yeah I know. Maybe we should talk about Enslaved so it feels more right. :lol:
    <.<

Rent on
  • Options
    JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular

Because doing something for the end would be extremely expensive, and extremely difficult.
    Prohibitively so on both counts.
    I would probably be able to live comfortably for the rest of my life on what they will likely need to spend to do something.

• Options
    but seriously everyone here should read the PA report from ben kuchera about the bioware ending haters

i don't even really like the mass effect series and it pissed me off from how smug and douchey it was

Thanks, I've had my daily dose of hatorade already.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Well son of a bitch. That's why I didn't get an N7 pack.
    Verify you have data tracking enabled per the first question in this FAQ: in the game, go to Options -> Online -> Upload Gameplay Feedback, and make sure it is “ON”. If it was “OFF” during the challenge period, you will not be able to receive the unlocks.

Grumble grumble.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Neli wrote: »
    People keep saying EDI is disposable but that body is her only chance of forming a destiny beyond being...a ship.

Also you can send EDI there
    Send her where?

And there was nothing super special about that body as far as we know. She could download into a Geth platform. There are tons of those running around!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I think the very end of the game was kind of sucky and nonsensical. But I also subscribe to the idea that the game in its entirety was the ending of the series, and it was 95% fantastic. I get that some people REALLY didn't like it. But it's starting to feel like Bioware is in the center of a study on fanaticism or something.
    People here are bitching that that statement wasn't sorry enough, didn't commit enough to a new ending. In other areas people are freaking out because they see the statement as them implicitly caving to demands to change the ending and if they don't care to stick by their artistic guns then why should they give a shit about their work anymore.

Absolutely ridiculous bullshit.

*sigh* I still haven't completed the game... stupid project implementations.

While I haven't gotten there yet, I kind of hope that the ending works in a way that ends the series. Having defeated a galactic tier threat what more is there left to do in the ME verse? Another galactic threat? :| A Galactic Civil War storyline a la expanded universe? (PLEASE NO)... just saying, it's okay for things to end.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I think the very end of the game was kind of sucky and nonsensical. But I also subscribe to the idea that the game in its entirety was the ending of the series, and it was 95% fantastic. I get that some people REALLY didn't like it. But it's starting to feel like Bioware is in the center of a study on fanaticism or something.
    People here are bitching that that statement wasn't sorry enough, didn't commit enough to a new ending. In other areas people are freaking out because they see the statement as them implicitly caving to demands to change the ending and if they don't care to stick by their artistic guns then why should they give a shit about their work anymore.

Absolutely ridiculous bullshit.

*sigh* I still haven't completed the game... stupid project implementations.

While I haven't gotten there yet, I kind of hope that the ending works in a way that ends the series. Having defeated a galactic tier threat what more is there left to do in the ME verse? Another galactic threat? :| A Galactic Civil War storyline a la expanded universe? (PLEASE NO)... just saying, it's okay for things to end.

Well, it does give you that sort of closure.

Unfortunately, a lot of fans are pretty bent out of shape about that part of it too (but honestly...it's stuff they've been hinting at since ME1. That portion of the ending is decent.)

• Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    Ben Kuchera is certainly not the only dude who writes about video games who has come off as snide during this whole thing, but he has been one of the more prominent people, which has been disappointing.

The Giant Bomb guys actually had a really reasonable discussion about it last night, which I was impressed with.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    I don't see how doing something about the ending is going to be any more or less expensive than a LotSB style DLC expansion. I'm not saying whatever they do will be successful, but I don't think the development of such an effort is going to be cost prohibitive.

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    My human adept in beta felt like a god. My Salarian Engineer feels damned close. He can handle anything. I have to learn how to better get tech bursts going. I think if I start with energy drain, I can get an incinerate off quick enough to cause one. But I am still learning.

Still, draining energy to replenish my shields while walking around burning folks alive is awesome. I am using a pistol now for maximum tech usage, but once I get some weight down, I plan on shottying it up.

That being said, Salarian engineer gets a 30%(or so) reduction to sniper weight. Does that make carrying a sniper reasonable? Can I still keep my powers in the 150% range?

While i have a widow the weight is still a little bit too much to be comfortable with. Thing is my mantis has 8 levels on the widow. The mantis with the weight reduction means that i can still fire off shield drain faster than i can shoot/reload.

• Options
    I mass effect'd my iphone.
    jZthq.jpg?1

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular

Well, this isn't going well.

Point the first: Again, I distinguish between saying "people want X" and "X was missing from the game".
    Second, I suppose it will ultimately be decided when they release it, but
    clarity/closure still implies magic space kid and his three choices I didn't like the first time around.
    Since this is a bit of a sticking point... well, it's hard to just assume that this means it'll be fixed. Oh well.
    Third: "Mush" means I find the ratio of words to content to be very high. Maybe I'm doing a bad job translating from PR-speak (see points one and two, possibly) but as far as I can tell the only new information is 'Building' to 'April'.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I miss the days when lynching was an acceptable method of dealing with problems.

I'm pretty sure that was the basis of the justice system back in the eighteen thirties.

Although I could be wrong.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options

Well, this isn't going well.

Point the first: Again, I distinguish between saying "people want X" and "X was missing from the game".
    Second, I suppose it will ultimately be decided when they release it, but
    clarity/closure still implies magic space kid and his three choices I didn't like the first time around.
    Since this is a bit of a sticking point... well, it's hard to just assume that this means it'll be fixed. Oh well.
    Third: "Mush" means I find the ratio of words to content to be very high. Maybe I'm doing a bad job translating from PR-speak (see points one and two, possibly) but as far as I can tell the only new information is 'Building' to 'April'.

Or, they're clarifying that it was all the indoc theory!

SHUT UP I CAN DREAM

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I really don't see a point to using a level 20 character in Bronze. But people do it.

I've done it quite a bit because you still
    Cambiata wrote: »

Actually, I find
    Synthesis to be the most genuinely depressing of all. Because it says that racial homogeny is the only way to peace.
    Yeah, it basically goes against everything Paragon Jesus Shephard has been trying to do the entire series, which is to unite all of the races/etc together and show that even though they are different they can work together or whatever. So the ending of the game is to just merge everything together and make everyone the same...
    I couldn't kill EDI or the Geth. I just didn't have it in me. And having to Destroy synthetics that are peacefully coexisting in order to save the organics seemed like a bad mirror image of the false choice that the Reapers/Star Child had made. The Star Childs point was that synthetics and organics couldn't get along, so I was in no mood to back up that statement by offing my two synthetic allies.

• Options
    He put mayo on my hamburger?

OFF WITH HIS HEAD.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular

Har har.
    While Kaiden is okay with dying (does he EVER survive Virmire? Like, I know it's possible, but... who really saves him?), he doesn't have the technical proficiency to do what is needed.

EDI isn't to the point in her development where she'll sacrifice herself for others, really. They make a big deal of it when she gets there. It's also clear that she pretty much immediately integrates her Metropolis-bod into her sense of self (given how fast she latches onto the notion of being Joker's girlfriend).

Mordin also wouldn't fucking let anyone else take the hit for him. Anyone else might do it wrong.

I saved Kaidan. Of course you didn't, you can't even spell his name :)

<Spoiler alert - That's not really what those spoilers are about - Don't click unless you're past Rannoch>

• Options
    Ben Kuchera is certainly not the only dude who writes about video games who has come off as snide during this whole thing

See also: N, IG

the problem with ben kuchera's response is that he's arguing in bad faith when pretending to be the impartial arbiter of Good Videogame Writing, when it's clear to anyone with half of a brain that he doesn't know what he's talking about and doesn't know good storywriting from abel

Especially since video game storytelling is kind of my wheelhouse, it's insulting to hear from a guy whose favorite videogame stories are FF7 and Alan Wake, two of the most generic, lowest common denominator "good videogame stories" in existence (especially when the second is literally Twin Peaks: The Videogame), how much more knowledgeable about good videogame writing he is and how you're all so dumb for hating it, you sad ending haters

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    I find most of how the ending is being covered in the press weird, especially since most seem to classify anyone that has a problem with the ending a whiner.

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Send her where?
    And there was nothing super special about that body as far as we know. She could download into a Geth platform. There are tons of those running around!

On the
    Mordin mission

The body was cerberus tech, which EDI also happens to be, which is why she was able to transfer into the body. The ILM even says that the body was designed for a VI just like EDI so I don't think she can do it to just any robot,. Also, Geth look like lamps and the EDI body looked like a person, something EDI identifies with and tries to become near the end.

Meanwhile, the genophage is on Mordin, he wants to do it and he's old and will die in a few years anyway since he's Salarian. Sending EDI would have been dumb

:^:

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Guys, I'm officially bigger than TECHNO TURIAN.

Not bad for a stupid joke vid. :P

• Options
    Shen wrote: »
    I'm glad they've come out and said that they'll be addressing the issues with the ending, I hope they're able to pull it off.

Had to be him. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.

I think Tuchanka had to play out like that. It was a standard trope, but it was done well and it was goddamn beautiful.

This discussion has been closed.