Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Ben Kuchera is a smug asshole on twitter.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Neli wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »
    Vicktor wrote: »
    Except for that reporter lady on my ship. What the hell?

Yeah, can we direct some outrage at this, or something? Shake things up?

Am I the only one that thinks she looks really weird? Uncanny Valley maybe. Also, should have been Emily Wong.

Her face is modelled after Jessica Chobot, an IGN reporter bim4ya.jpg

Jessica Chobot also happens to be the voice for the character

She also happens to have no talent for voice acting :)

Ignoring that though, the character herself is weirdly pointless. Like, she has almost no dialog. You try to talk to her and it goes to "Hey, do you want to throw me off your ship yet?"

She has a ton of dialogue after basically every mission. She usually just doesn't talk to you, but instead to the crew or is making an announcement for her show.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    About the reporter chick. I was hoping to be able to see some broadcasts. Like after every major plot, I could go to her and see what she was broadcasting about it. With clips of me killing Reapers and shit.

I was sad.

But we did bang. So thats cool.

616610-1.png
  • kaz67kaz67 Registered User
    edited March 2012
    G Rol wrote: »
    Retconning in response to fan feedback is an advantage of the medium. I certainly don't think Bioware is destroying the auteur by potentially tweaking a (mostly) poorly received closure to their trilogy. I'm all for it. I'd actually think it was brilliant if Bioware indoctrinated us all by indoctrinating Shepard...like...so meta dude.

I mean...does anyone really think Ben Reilly should be Spider-Man? Sometimes a creator wants to respond to the backlash. Art is never complete; it's abandoned..or whatever.

Now if I can just convince Stephen King to fix the Dark Tower series...

That is exactly how I feel about the whole artistic integrity argument. Moreover, this is just good bushiness on bioware's part and at the end of the day, I have no doubt that is what they really care about.

kaz67 on
  • CambiataCambiata I'm an alchemist and the beat is my base metal Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    So much for artistic integrity. Sheesh.

Thanks, Obama. Preorder cancelled! I'm tired of all these motherfucking ninjas eating my motherfucking cereal!

-Tal wrote:
    If you don't develop Stockholm Syndrome, it's not a real RPG.
    Steam
    Origin ID: jazzmess
    Wishlist
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »

Am I the only one that thinks she looks really weird? Uncanny Valley maybe. Also, should have been Emily Wong.

Ignoring that though, the character herself is weirdly pointless. Like, she has almost no dialog. You try to talk to her and it goes to "Hey, do you want to throw me off your ship yet?"

She has a ton of dialogue after basically every mission. She usually just doesn't talk to you, but instead to the crew or is making an announcement for her show.

Huh, I found it much easier to miss interesting conversations in this game. The first two games really conditioned me to click on someone, and then if no dialogue wheel started up, to move on. A lot of the dialogue in this game doesn't involve the same shift from movement to talk mode.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    One thing I was disappointed with was...
    Spoiler:

ae26.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    So much for artistic integrity. Sheesh.

Yeah especially since going back and fixing shit made Blade Runner so terrible. Oh wait.

Artistic integrity is moot if the art is shit to begin with, as is the case here.

PSN: Dr_Keenbean LIVE: Dr Keenbean
    Dr_Keenbean42.png
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

That's not really what I've found. She has dialog after *some* missions, but way fewer than the rest of the crew. Also it's usually not anything funny or interesting like the rest of the dialog.

Nintendo Network ID: Warlock
    3DS Friend Code: 4983-4927-6699
    Steam ID: warlock82

WarlockSoL.jpg
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

The Company: The CYOA game that anybody can join at any time - running now!
  • jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.

New DLC I can understand, but new games?
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

"Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Spoiler:

We know from the first game
    Spoiler:

Mae77qg.png
    I have a Steam account
    3DS: 2406-5129-4317
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Huh, I found it much easier to miss interesting conversations in this game. The first two games really conditioned me to click on someone, and then if no dialogue wheel started up, to move on. A lot of the dialogue in this game doesn't involve the same shift from movement to talk mode.

I liked how they didn't lock you down in this one, but yea... a lot of the conversations are easy to miss or accidentally end too soon by triggering the next conversation.

“I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
    daveNYC wrote: »

Yes, basically 70% of all crew dialogue happens outside of "talking mode".
    After every mission I did I went through the whole ship and talked to everyone until they kept repeating the same sentence over and over.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Bioware has begun their very own Kobyashi Maru simulation.
    I am very amused at this. Continue please!

Mainly I'm just picturing Ray's chair exploding underneath him as reactions pour in ala Spock's in Wrath of Khan.

Poor guys, you know there has to be a few folks in development who just want to shout I told you that ending was a bad idea at someone.

• Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So I just learned Phantoms can instant-kill you out of Nova.

You learn something valuable every day.

Yes, ive learned this the hard way with atlas's as well. Banshes as well Im willing to bet at this point. Melee range just gets super risky once those bad girls show up.

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    About the reporter chick. I was hoping to be able to see some broadcasts. Like after every major plot, I could go to her and see what she was broadcasting about it. With clips of me killing Reapers and shit.

I was sad.

wait

you romanced her?

you are literally the first person I have seen who has done so

mainly because all the other romances are so much better

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Also that MMOs are a curse you inflict on good stories when you want them to die, and I hope there is never ever a Mass Effect MMO.

MMOs really need to be their own unique IPs.

The Company: The CYOA game that anybody can join at any time - running now!
    games are commodities.

• G RolG Rol Registered User regular
    kaz67 wrote:
    G Rol wrote: »
    Retconning in response to fan feedback is an advantage of the medium. I certainly don't think Bioware is destroying the auteur by potentially tweaking a (mostly) poorly received closure to their trilogy. I'm all for it. I'd actually think it was brilliant if Bioware indoctrinated us all by indoctrinating Shepard...like...so meta dude.

I mean...does anyone really think Ben Reilly should be Spider-Man? Sometimes a creator wants to respond to the backlash. Art is never complete; it's abandoned..or whatever.

Now if I can just convince Stephen King to fix the Dark Tower series...

That is exactly how I feel about the whole artistic integrity argument. Moreover, this is just good bushiness on bioware's part and at the end of the day, I have no doubt that is what they really care about.

Yeah, I didn't even take into account the business angle. I'd love to know the DLC "attach rate" for New Ending content.

• Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Matrias wrote: »

I didn't really know who the guy was so I gave him a shot. After all the articles he finds for The Cut are usually interesting. But as a writer/human being himself? He is rubbing off as a big freaking *redacted* Goose with ego to match. I seriously feel like hes purposely trolling all of us on this Mass Effect stuff.

Blood Drive on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »

I was sad.

wait

you romanced her?

you are literally the first person I have seen who has done so

mainly because all the other romances are so much better

I assume that it counts in a different way than say the main romances do, like Kelly.

steam_sig.png
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    118q8ee.jpg

More confirmation, if ya'll needed it.

Lets hope they're not talking about a post-end comic

t5qfc9.jpg
    I loved how you could just feel how that horrifically ugly character of hers was walking around with a freaking lake between her legs in the presence of my Shepard.
    It was amazingly satisfying to tell her that there'll never be any chance of her getting a piece of dat Shepard.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • CambiataCambiata I'm an alchemist and the beat is my base metal Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I didn't really know who the guy was so I gave him a shot. After all the articles he finds for The Cut are usually interesting. But as a writer/human being himself? He is rubbing off as a big freaking *redacted* Goose with ego to match. I seriously feel like hes purposely trolling all of us on this Mass Effect stuff.

What I'm really hoping for is for Bioware to really buckle down and follow the process that made the rest of the game great, and write something awesome for a new ending DLC. Like The Shadow Broker, but for a new ending. And then to watch as the smug fanboys who call themselves journalists hem and haw and begrudgingly admit that the new ending is great, but it should have never happened anyway even if it's great because ART.

Cambiata on
    -Tal wrote:
    Steam
    Wishlist
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    jamesra wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.

New DLC I can understand, but new games?
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    That would be true if...
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2012
    Zzulu wrote: »
    118q8ee.jpg

If their DLC is post-game content that smooths over the endings warts, I can live with that.

(I bet they contradict the ending a little)

Matrias on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Spoiler:

We know from the first game
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

ae26.jpg
    118q8ee.jpg

"Love Interest cutscene DLC: See your love interest in a flashback for 3 seconds! No more blueberry taking over your thoughts!" 9.99$

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    118q8ee.jpg

I can live with that.

(I bet they contradict the ending a little)

I can live with that, too.

-Tal wrote:
    Steam
    Wishlist
  • G RolG Rol Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote:

What I'm really hoping for is for Bioware to really buckle down and follow the process that made the rest of the game great, and write something awesome for a new ending DLC. Like The Shadow Broker, but for a new ending. And then to watch as the smug fanboys who call themselves journalists to hem and haw and begrudgingly admit that the new ending is great, but it should have never happened anyway even if it's great because ART.

This.

There are so many different directions they could go with post ending DLC...and that doesn't necessarily need to include a "new ending". I'm stoked to see what they come up with (assuming it's playable, and not a slideshow; that'd be a super bummer).

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    jclast wrote: »
    She only bothered me insofar as she's not Emily Wong, who even if it was a punchy one, you've made a relationship with over the first 2 games.

Emily Wong is on Earth when the Reapers hit. There is a twitter feed: Alliance News Network telling about what happens to her.
    Spoiler:

Kipling217 on
    Communicating from the last of the Babylon Stations.
    Mass Effect 4 confirmed:

qznp1h.jpg

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    Now my next greatest fear is they'll fuck up the new content like they fucked up the ending.

I don't have that blind optimism I used to have for Mass Effect. :(

Killing Emily Wong on twitter was DUMB.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about that.

ME2 and ME3 spoilers
    Spoiler:

wait wait wait wait wait
    Spoiler:

• OrcaOrca Registered User regular

She went out like a boss.

"Bioware I want to suck on your teets of gamingness".

The 2012 issue of Fornax. | Steam and Origin: Espressosaurus
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

it was great

would have been nice to see her in game but the twitter thing was done very well

Renegade Wolf on
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    My only complaint about the twitter thing is that the ending went on too long.

Would have been perfect if it had ended on the "I love you" tweet

then

"Signal loss"

"Bioware I want to suck on your teets of gamingness".

The 2012 issue of Fornax. | Steam and Origin: Espressosaurus
  • mojojoeomojojoeo Ghost dog at my side.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Im skipping dragon age 3. thats for guddamn sure.
    I've been thinking about that.

ME2 and ME3 spoilers
    Spoiler:

wait wait wait wait wait
    Spoiler:

uhhhh
    Spoiler:

mojojoeo on
    "Everything you've ever wanted is on the other side of fear."
This discussion has been closed.