As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] 2nd Annual Boston GLBTQA Gamer Meetup! UPDATED 2/23/2012!

13»

• ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    Hey all -

Another quick update. First of all, because the attendance of this event now seems to be split between PAXers and non-PAXers (which is awesome), I've set up a central information page on my blog. I may still post updates here, but since this isn't STRICTLY a PAX event (though it is still PAX adjacent, and it's no coincidence that it's being held on the first night of the con), I don't want to wear out our welcome. So, for the very latest and most complete information, you should go to http://therandomfangirl.wordpress.com/2012-boston-glbtqa-gamer-meetup/ or just e-mail me at cassandra.lease@gmail.com

Second - in an effort to supplement our fundraising, I've set up a CafePress store. I know, I know...the quality can be kinda hit and miss there. But it's the fastest and least expensive way to get a storefront set up. You'll find a bunch of buttons and shirts on there now featuring the various 'badge' icons (the trans symbol, the bi triangles, the letter lambda, the lesbian labrys and the generic 'invader') as well as a point and click adventure game-inspired signature design. The best way to help the event right now is still to donate if you can - and to donate whatever you can, even if it's just five or ten bucks - but if you want a souvenir or something neat to wear to the event or the con, you might consider checking it out. The storefront is listed on the central information page. (Incidentally, if you go to said page, you'll also find some PayPal donation links specifically for the event - donate through one of those links and your contribution will be bagged and tagged with a minimum of fuss.)

As always, I'm available to talk if anyone has any questions, suggestions, concerns, etc., or if you want to volunteer or donate or set up some kind of sponsorship deal. Barring another trip to the hospital, anyway, but I'm hoping THAT'S not going to happen again in the next two years or so.

PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Looks awesome! I will be donating come the 3rd of March when I get paid again. :)

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
    Hey all -

Someone just asked me through e-mail if anyone was planning to meet up at the convention center before heading over...he doesn't know the area too well and he's not too sure he can find the place himself. I'm probably going to be at the venue working on setup at that point, but would anyone like to volunteer to lead a group over to Bocoup from the BCEC?

• TheAsianKnightTheAsianKnight Shinywoopwoop Registered User regular
    I'd definitely meet up, not sure if I could lead since I don't know Bocoup, but I know how to get to south station and I can get maps on my phone so I could probably figure it out.
    (Though when I mapquested it we don't even need to go as far as south station to get there) and when we get close if there's a few of us at least one person will see the sign XD

Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    Cosplay Check List: WOOPER [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
  • GoodFriendAliGoodFriendAli A Lady Malden, MARegistered User regular
    Guh, apparently according to the event page, it seems all the spaces are full? I seem to be looking into events way, way too late... any possibility you'll let us know here if there's any drop-outs?

Yeah, sorry - I added ten new tickets the other day and ALL of them were snatched up in a matter of hours. I've just added five more. GO. GO NOW.

Our absolute maximum capacity is 100, for the record. I'm holding a few tickets back in case I need those spots for special guests. If anyone needs to drop out, please inform me IMMEDIATELY so I can return your ticket(s) to the pool.

• GoodFriendAliGoodFriendAli A Lady Malden, MARegistered User regular
    I was able to snag one! Yippee! See you there~

Glad to hear it!

We're down to one ticket, and I recommend snatching it up quick if you were putting it off. I can MAYBE release five more tickets to the pool, but at that point we'll be looking at 100 registered attendees and that's the absolute maximum capacity for the venue. Next year I think I'll start fundraising really really early and try to get a bigger venue...this is INSANE.

• sofreshsodarrylsofreshsodarryl East 2011 Omeganaut Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hey guys guess what...
    16 DAYS!!!!!

Themiscyra wrote: »
    Do you want to make some kind of contest of the Rock Band stage? I'm thinking we could have bands signing up and playing throughout the evening, and then the three top scorers would each play the same song (probably NOT Born This Way - I'm not that mean!) and the very top scoring band would get some kind of prize. It hasn't really gotten much past the idle thought stage so I don't have a lot of specifics. What do you all think?

I vote against an organized competition or contest. @Themiscyra you will probably be too busy to keep track of something like that and everyone will want time to say hi and thank you :-)
    Free play would be smoother to run and we wouldnt have to listen to the same songs over and over :-P

According to GooleMaps Bocoup is only an 8 minute walk from PAX. Would anyone want to meet up and walk together?

Last time I checked there was one ticket left so if anyone is one the fence you should grab it now. I am so excited to meet all 99 of you! Next year we are going to need a larger venue!
    Themiscyra wrote:
    There's a harder cap above that and I don't want the fire department getting involved. No matter how many of you would love to see firemen at this party.
    LOL That is exactally what my mind went to :oops:

sofreshsodarryl on
  • YeildForNothingYeildForNothing Registered User regular
    My roommate and I are uber interested in going! Wish there was more available. :/

Yeah, I've decided against the Rock Band competition. You're right, Darryl, I will have my hands entirely too full, and it really is best to keep things low-key. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to manage the band thing...probably I'll have my laptop and a spreadsheet open or something.

I can tell you that Phoenix Online will have a presence at the meetup - we'll be showing the trailer for Cognition and possibly some other video, and they'll be giving us some swag. And, of course, Harmonix will be helping us out as well, though I'm still discussing the finer details.

I have released the final five tickets to the pool, so we're officially going to have 100 people in attendance. Holy mother of...anyway, we could still really use donations. You can find the donation link on the event homepage listed in the OP. We currently have just over 300 bucks in the budget so this is gonna be tight.

If you weren't able to get a ticket, well, it's possible we'll have last-minute cancellations or that some folks will leave early and we'll end up being able to let you in. Shit, I'm probably going to need to use one of those hand-clickers they use in event queues and stuff. Anyway, I can't promise anything. Preference will obviously have to go to people who reserved a spot. If you can print out your confirmations and bring them to the event with you that will make things a lot easier on me.

15 motherloving days. My God.

• TerribleToasterTerribleToaster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Oh man I'm so excited for this, I'm glad I got my ticket when I was told too! This is probably one of the events I'm most excited for at PAX

hlhhf2f0t737.png
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I have my ticket too, but I'm curious, do we need to have a paper copy with us?

That - or the ability to call the confirmation page up on your smartphone or whatever - would be really helpful, just so I know who's got a reserved spot and who's coming in at the last minute ('cause obviously I'd like to make sure everyone who preregistered and is still planning to attend gets in), but I won't turn you away because you failed to bring it along.

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    Themiscyra wrote: »
    That - or the ability to call the confirmation page up on your smartphone or whatever - would be really helpful, just so I know who's got a reserved spot and who's coming in at the last minute ('cause obviously I'd like to make sure everyone who preregistered and is still planning to attend gets in), but I won't turn you away because you failed to bring it along.

Thanks for the reminder; I'm printing mine out now! <3

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    Okay, it turns out I can call up a list of everyone who's registered as well, so if you can't bring your order confirmation to the event, we're still cool. Just be sure to remember which name you registered under. :) Sorry for the ditz moment, everyone.

I'm so excited for this you guys have no idea, next to participating in the pokemon league this is the second biggest thing I'm looking forward to.

I may not be a disco freak, but I'll either be a wooper or Zoey from Left 4 Dead, regardless I'll be full of excitement

Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
  • FizzsterFizzster Registered User regular
    Sad I got my last minute ticket to PAX so I get to miss out on all the fun events like this. I'm still going to TRY to attend, but I fully expect to get turned away at the door due to capacity.

j2d9bzP.png
  • VeggieVeggie Registered User regular
    Question not related to the event but gay stuff in general. What gay bars and clubs are people going to this weekend? Google only goes so far when you try to research these things. We're looking for something fun.

Hey guys in case anyone doesn't know how to get to the party, I'll probably stand by the front of the convention center for like 10 minutes around 5:30, anyone who wants to travel with me and my friend is free to (I think we might jut walk)

and you can find me easy because I'll be wearing 1 of 2 things

either a wooper hoodie thing,

or (likely) a team rocket shirt and/or an asian looking hat. (silk hat)

or any mix of those 3 things XD I'll probably be there until 5:40 maybe leave a little earlier then that, so yeah, in case anyone wants a buddy or group

WOOP WOOP!
    Well, despite some logistical hiccups, I had a blast tonight, and I hope you all did, too! Thanks to everyone who came. :) Next year I'm going to try very hard to put this thing in the hand of professionals. And get a bigger venue. And find a way to serve booze while accommodating underage guests. But, first and foremost, I'm going to spend a couple weeks not thinking about meetups at all before I deal with the final logistical details of this one and start planning for the future. I am freaking exhausted. But happy. But EXHAUSTED.

Enjoy the rest of PAX, everyone!

Oh - but if you do want information regarding future GLBTQA Gamer Meetups (at PAX and generally around the Boston area), please follow @GLBTQAGamersMA on Twitter. I misspoke at the end of the evening and said it was just GLBTGamersMA. Sorry about that.

• kingjeffkingjeff Malden, MARegistered User regular
    My partner and I had a blast there! Was fun playing Rock Band with a big group! Will definitely go next year and probably if you do other events in the area!

• ZelkovaZelkova Registered User regular
    @MASeffect and I had a great time at your party! Playing Rockband was really fun and I would love to join you guys again next year. Thanks @Themiscyra for putting in all the work to make it happen! Oh and @TheAsianKnight I loved your hoodie! :)

hakuinhiso7091343754211.png