As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]ter than Shepard

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It's not really weird that people steal bikes. They need transport and there is nothing in stock in the stores.

That guy should wear a helmet though so he's prepared for the next random encounter.

PSN: Honkalot
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Man, I was swimming in potions in Dragons Age.

And you didn't share? I can't believe this!

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Man, this whole thing with ME3 has spawned some type of awesome meta-commentary regarding how people perceive the artistic process really.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    If I had a shop full of items that could be used to save the world, I'd do it my own damn self.

"Fuck you, Cloud, I'm a seasoned small business owner with an inexhaustible supply of grenades and a chip on my shoulder.

I got this."

Also this waiting sucks. I'm half-expecting Bulgarian girl to come in and burst into tears.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    If I had a shop full of items that could be used to save the world, I'd do it my own damn self.

"Fuck you, Cloud, I'm a seasoned small business owner with an inexhaustible supply of grenades and a chip on my shoulder.

I got this."

http://store.steampowered.com/app/70400/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    seriously though "hey I'm saving the world give me your shit" would not work, at all

ftOqU21.png
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Man, this whole thing with ME3 has spawned some type of awesome meta-commentary regarding how people perceive the artistic process really.

I'm interested in the articles about how this indicates gamers don't really think games are art.

You don't demand that an artist change its art.

Abdhyius wrote: »
    seriously though "hey I'm saving the world give me your shit" would not work, at all

Plus, you'd expect more than one band of heroes to giving it a go.

I mean, now that I think about it, the final boss's dungeon should always be strewn with the corpses of well-meaning heroes who had the exact same idea you did.

What is the term for when soldiers take over a private residence in times of war?

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »

I'm interested in the articles about how this indicates gamers don't really think games are art.

Links?

Hopefully without spoilers

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Yeah, I can understand being mad at an ending, but insisting that the ending be changed is fucking weird to me, and my gut reaction is to call them all a bunch of entitled crapbags.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What is the term for when soldiers take over a private residence in times of war?
    "Commandeering?" Or are you referring to "quartering?"

Thanatos on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Quartering.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.

"fuck off, we have more guns than you"

ftOqU21.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

Quartering

This is an outrage Miss O'Keefe, I demand a new painting! This doesn't look anything like a vagina!

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    Zampanov wrote: »

Yeah, I can understand being mad at an ending, but insisting that the ending be changed is fucking weird to me, and my gut reaction is to call them all a bunch of entitled crapbags.

As someone who has not played through it all yet

I find it weird that people donated money to charity to get the ending changed.

Confused bros

Confused

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

Quartering

This is an outrage Miss O'Keefe, I demand a new painting! This doesn't look anything like a vagina!

that series of doors could definitely use more vaginas

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    I'd pay money to change the ending to Gone With The Wind so that it includes a violent slave revolt.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

I'll be honest. The thought occured to me that he'd be less succesful.

steam_sig.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    This whole Mass Effect 3 thing is pretty weird.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

Confused bros

Confused

I think the phrase Entitled Crapbags is incredibly appropriate for this kind of thing.

Lh96QHG.png
    I'll be honest. The thought occured to me that he'd be less succesful.

'cism.

during the war, my relatives and their neighbours wouldn't sell wood to the germans in Haugesund nearby

so the germans found a guy to buy it for them and when they found out about that they just stopped chopping wood

so the germans sent some soldiers into the valleys to chop some wood and they were quartered in among others my relatives' house

radios were of course forbidden by the germans during the war, but the germans had a radio, and one of the soldiers let my uncle listen to BBC while they were out

that soldier always took care to get back earlier than the rest and ensure that the dial was in the place where they had left it

that is my story about quartering

ftOqU21.png
    I don't think it's that shocking that people can get away with small crimes that only take a couple of minutes to commit.

I'm not going to stage a citizen's arrest just to save someone's bike.

Confused bros

Confused

I think the phrase Entitled Crapbags is incredibly appropriate for this kind of thing.

donating money to charity and saying please change it to something that doesn't suck is being a crapbag?

ftOqU21.png
    during the war, my relatives and their neighbours wouldn't sell wood to the germans in Haugesund nearby

so the germans found a guy to buy it for them and when they found out about that they just stopped chopping wood

so the germans sent some soldiers into the valleys to chop some wood and they were quartered in among others my relatives' house

radios were of course forbidden by the germans during the war, but the germans had a radio, and one of the soldiers let my uncle listen to BBC while they were out

that soldier always took care to get back earlier than the rest and ensure that the dial was in the place where they had left it

that is my story about quartering

goddam nazis

Confused bros

Confused

Again: this is really a thing people only say when they haven't played through the game yet.

Also: a painting is not a novel is not a movie is not a video game.

People aren't demanding things. They're voicing their opinion that the ending is really badly written. Not that it's "not what they wanted". It's just that - bad.

Art changes all the time. Blade Runner's Directors Cut has a very different ending to the original and ME3's ending in particular has some interesting writing nuance surrounding it (namely: not the product of the whole writing team in the first place, apparently).

Links?

Hopefully without spoilers

I thought I saw it in the Kotaku article from this afternoon. But I went back, and it wasn't there.

So, now I'm not sure where I read it.

Sarksus wrote: »
    This whole Mass Effect 3 thing is pretty weird.

Not really. It's the internets.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular

Let's say I'm reading a book, and the writer is really good at describing battles and politics and people's emotions. But then there's a sex scene, and it's painful to read. Overembellished, metaphorical references, the lot.

I might at that point, say that that writer needs to work on their sex scenes.

Now replace sex scenes with 'endings'.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.

Confused bros

Confused

Again: this is really a thing people only say when they haven't played through the game yet.

People aren't demanding things. They're voicing their opinion that the ending is really badly written. Not that it's "not what they wanted". It's just that - bad.

Art changes all the time. Blade Runner's Directors Cut has a very different ending to the original and ME3's ending in particular has some interesting writing nuance surrounding it (namely: not the product of the whole writing team in the first place, apparently).

Didn't they start a charity, like I said? I think that is kind of demanding stuff at least.

Actually this twitter account uses "demand" in the image on it

• adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Oh my god, a certain someone has been harassing me all evening via PM in a continuation of the absolutely ridiculous argument he started in a certain to-be-unnamed thread this afternoon. I have no way to complain about it to anyone IRL without sounding pathetic, so I'm bitching about it to you, chat.

adytum on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Confused bros

Confused

No, when you're donating to a charity to get the ending changed, that's being an entitled crapbag. It's fine to not like things from things you love, but there's a limit. My generation is incredibly entitled, we are our parent's children.

Lh96QHG.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    man, i just did the Mass Effect 1 moon mission.

Fuck robots. I hate robots. Robots are the worst. The best part of Mass Effect is killing lots of robots.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    he showed restraint by not using his gun

luls

obF2Wuw.png
    ELM I have played it and I would say the same as AManFrom.

I am talking about the people who are acting like entitled crapbags, not the ones just venting their opinion.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    I don't think it's that shocking that people can get away with small crimes that only take a couple of minutes to commit.

I'm not going to stage a citizen's arrest just to save someone's bike.
    You could literally just walk up and say "dude, what the fuck?" and every bike thief is just going to book.

This discussion has been closed.