As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]ter than Shepard

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Like, I am not trying to say that everyone is...an "entitled crapbag"

I am just confused as to why people started a charity fund to bring attention to how shitty the ending is

Like, Jake and Feral aren't "entitled crapbags"

Now maybe if they donated to the charity and kept flooding my facebook feed with "#retakeME3" posts

maybe they would be considered entitled crapbags

Arch on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    adytum who is it

and i want to see this argument

i want to be outraged with you bro

obF2Wuw.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I have to pick a movie out. What is a streaming movie I can watch for free that is also worth watching? I see Amelie on Hulu and that's about it.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    wh1ON.jpg

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    Man, this whole thing with ME3 has spawned some type of awesome meta-commentary regarding how people perceive the artistic process really.

I'm interested in the articles about how this indicates gamers don't really think games are art.

You don't demand that an artist change its art.

Yeah, I can understand being mad at an ending, but insisting that the ending be changed is fucking weird to me, and my gut reaction is to call them all a bunch of entitled crapbags.

As someone who has not played through it all yet

I find it weird that people donated money to charity to get the ending changed.

Confused bros

Confused

I think the phrase Entitled Crapbags is incredibly appropriate for this kind of thing.

donating money to charity and saying please change it to something that doesn't suck is being a crapbag?

donating money to charity is always cool, but pairing charity with the other weird outrage does not quell my opinion of the weird outrage

like, if you gave a bunch of money to charity and said WE THINK APARTHIED IS NIFTY AND SHOULD COME BACK it wouldn't make it alright. (And yes, I chose something like that to be an embellishment and not a direct comparison)

I mean, I guess it's a testament to how involved a lot of people felt in the story, but at the end of the day it's a story being created by someone else. Thinking that you have any right to dictate what they want their story to be is ridiculous to me. I mean I've had many films that I thought should have handled things differently, as I'm sure many of us have, but I would never try to force the people to redo it the way I wanted. That's fucking dumb.

So yes, entitled crapbags can give money to charity and still be entitled crapbags.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    ugh i nearly just vomited from stress

because -> i had to use the phone
    -> i was intending to do a big apology speech
    and -> the conversation was put off and now i'm imagining all the possible ways it could go badly

Also it was really amusing for me to see on my facebook feed someone who complained about day one DLC to later have given additional money to this charity to get the ending of ME3 changed

I was confused

Also then they basically said the new ending was DLC and this dude was all "fuck yes"

and I was like

wut

Also it was really amusing for me to see on my facebook feed someone who complained about day one DLC to later have given additional money to this charity to get the ending of ME3 changed

I was confused

Also then they basically said the new ending was DLC and this dude was all "fuck yes"

and I was like

wut

Internet is dumb.

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I'm interested in the articles about how this indicates gamers don't really think games are art.

Let's say I'm reading a book, and the writer is really good at describing battles and politics and people's emotions. But then there's a sex scene, and it's painful to read. Overembellished, metaphorical references, the lot.

I might at that point, say that that writer needs to work on their sex scenes.

Now replace sex scenes with 'endings'.

"suggest that a writer work on their sex scene" is not equal to "demand that the writer rewrite the book, and give it to you for free."

• JamesJames Registered User regular
    hey arch did you hear about the current black/white downloadable pokemon?

But I do agree that this is sort of a weirdly critical junction for games and the interplay between creators and their consumers, as well as for games as art

I just kind of wish we were making a bigger issue out of something that felt a bit more meaningful

Maybe I will disagree when I finish the game, but also I think at this point the 'terrible ending' has been built up far to much for me to emotionally invest in it

oh well

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    during the war, my relatives and their neighbours wouldn't sell wood to the germans in Haugesund nearby

so the germans found a guy to buy it for them and when they found out about that they just stopped chopping wood

so the germans sent some soldiers into the valleys to chop some wood and they were quartered in among others my relatives' house

radios were of course forbidden by the germans during the war, but the germans had a radio, and one of the soldiers let my uncle listen to BBC while they were out

that soldier always took care to get back earlier than the rest and ensure that the dial was in the place where they had left it

that is my story about quartering

goddam nazis

another godamn nazis story:

The building the german gestapo-like entity was using in Oslo for torture and interrogation, Victoria terrasse, was something of a big deal to blow up, thought the resistance. But also in downtown Oslo. So they went back and forth. Eventually it was decided that a british bomber would come in and bomb it, despite the risk of civilian casualties.

First time the bomb missed and hit the neighbouring building. Second time, it missed and hit a streetcart. 105 people, of whom 78 civilians were killed.

In remember two things about what I read from the tale of the ambulance men that day

one was the old man who complained of a headache and got to sit down in the ambulance then quietly and without any fuss, died from the three inch piece of shrapnel embedded in his brain

the other was how they found one german soldier in a curious position - a little curled up, facing downwards, and then heard a small child crying underneath him

a witness later said that the german soldier had, when they heard the plane, thrown himself over the child, shielding it

godamn nazis

ftOqU21.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    adytum wrote: »
    Oh my god, a certain someone has been harassing me all evening via PM in a continuation of the absolutely ridiculous argument he started in a certain to-be-unnamed thread this afternoon. I have no way to complain about it to anyone IRL without sounding pathetic, so I'm bitching about it to you, chat.

Just don't respond.

steam_sig.png
    man, i just did the Mass Effect 1 moon mission.

Fuck robots. I hate robots. Robots are the worst. The best part of Mass Effect is killing lots of robots.

Heehee.

ftOqU21.png
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    during the war, my relatives and their neighbours wouldn't sell wood to the germans in Haugesund nearby

so the germans found a guy to buy it for them and when they found out about that they just stopped chopping wood

so the germans sent some soldiers into the valleys to chop some wood and they were quartered in among others my relatives' house

radios were of course forbidden by the germans during the war, but the germans had a radio, and one of the soldiers let my uncle listen to BBC while they were out

that soldier always took care to get back earlier than the rest and ensure that the dial was in the place where they had left it

that is my story about quartering

goddam nazis

another godamn nazis story:

The building the german gestapo-like entity was using in Oslo for torture and interrogation, Victoria terrasse, was something of a big deal to blow up, thought the resistance. But also in downtown Oslo. So they went back and forth. Eventually it was decided that a british bomber would come in and bomb it, despite the risk of civilian casualties.

First time the bomb missed and hit the neighbouring building. Second time, it missed and hit a streetcart. 105 people, of whom 78 civilians were killed.

In remember two things about what I read from the tale of the ambulance men that day

one was the old man who complained of a headache and got to sit down in the ambulance then quietly and without any fuss, died from the three inch piece of shrapnel embedded in his brain

the other was how they found one german soldier in a curious position - a little curled up, facing downwards, and then heard a small child crying underneath him

a witness later said that the german soldier had, when they heard the plane, thrown himself over the child, shielding it

godamn nazis

Thanks, Obama.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    James wrote: »

wut?

oh god is it Genesect

Man, this whole thing with ME3 has spawned some type of awesome meta-commentary regarding how people perceive the artistic process really.

Yeah, I can understand being mad at an ending, but insisting that the ending be changed is fucking weird to me, and my gut reaction is to call them all a bunch of entitled crapbags.

Confused bros

Confused

I think the phrase Entitled Crapbags is incredibly appropriate for this kind of thing.

donating money to charity and saying please change it to something that doesn't suck is being a crapbag?

donating money to charity is always cool, but pairing charity with the other weird outrage does not quell my opinion of the weird outrage

like, if you gave a bunch of money to charity and said WE THINK APARTHIED IS NIFTY AND SHOULD COME BACK it wouldn't make it alright. (And yes, I chose something like that to be an embellishment and not a direct comparison)

I mean, I guess it's a testament to how involved a lot of people felt in the story, but at the end of the day it's a story being created by someone else. Thinking that you have any right to dictate what they want their story to be is ridiculous to me. I mean I've had many films that I thought should have handled things differently, as I'm sure many of us have, but I would never try to force the people to redo it the way I wanted. That's fucking dumb.

So yes, entitled crapbags can give money to charity and still be entitled crapbags.

that's a wierd definition of forcing, right there

ftOqU21.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Fuck robots. I hate robots. Robots are the worst. The best part of Mass Effect is killing lots of robots.

Heehee.

Don't tell me i'm wrong about how many robots i'll get to thrash... I want to kill more robots. :(

Heehee.

Don't tell me i'm wrong about how many robots i'll get to thrash... I want to kill more robots. :(

I'm not saying anything. Except heehee.

ftOqU21.png
    But I do agree that this is sort of a weirdly critical junction for games and the interplay between creators and their consumers, as well as for games as art

indeed.

perhaps...a thread?

oooo...

• JamesJames Registered User regular

wut?

oh god is it Genesect

unfortunately it is reshiram or zekrom depending on which one you normally dont get

Man

I have given three presentations already today

it is to the point where I don't even want to give my organismal biology lecture tonight

and tonight's lecture is about insects

indeed.

perhaps...a thread?

oooo...

My only problem is I am trying so hard to avoid spoilers because if it works out I am picking this game up in two weeks

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular

Confused bros

Confused

It's an attempt to force a change through social outrage. I don't think it's that weird, I think it communicates pretty well what's happening. Like, "suggestion" doesn't work when it's a big chunk of angry frothing fans. A suggestion would be like "maybe don't end things quite like this next time" not "YOU GUYS NEED TO CHANGE THIS ENDING IT IS UNACCEPTABLE EVERYONE SPREAD THE WORD THIS WILL NOT STAND"

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    According to My Fitness Pal the fish and chips I ate tonight were only 1100 calories

I am unsure if this is right or not

indeed.

perhaps...a thread?

oooo...

My only problem is I am trying so hard to avoid spoilers because if it works out I am picking this game up in two weeks

then I will say this: The ending, it's badness or wierdness or whatever, is not as huge as it would seem. Internet topics can snowball pretty heavily.

ftOqU21.png
    According to My Fitness Pal the fish and chips I ate tonight were only 1100 calories

Only? What is your daily calorie allowance?

wut?

oh god is it Genesect

unfortunately it is reshiram or zekrom depending on which one you normally dont get

oh i give zero fucks about those guys

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    Just don't respond.

But I'm not physically able to keep myself from responding to someone that's being a jerk!

• adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the laugh, @B:L

Confused bros

Confused

It's an attempt to force a change through social outrage. I don't think it's that weird, I think it communicates pretty well what's happening. Like, "suggestion" doesn't work when it's a big chunk of angry frothing fans. A suggestion would be like "maybe don't end things quite like this next time" not "YOU GUYS NEED TO CHANGE THIS ENDING IT IS UNACCEPTABLE EVERYONE SPREAD THE WORD THIS WILL NOT STAND"

...next time they make me3?

the whole point of the charity guys was not to be like the entitled crapbags

and they're not!

they're going

hey, we're not being entitled crapbags

we would just like a better ending, to an amazing thing we love

ftOqU21.png
    Fuck. In my day when something ended and I didn't like the end of it I sucked it up and did something else.

GAWD.

I think "donate money to a charity so that a company gives us a better ending to a game" is

well, I can think of less worthy charities

but

not many

hate me for this opinion or not, there it is

indeed.

perhaps...a thread?

oooo...

Yeah...

I think we could argue about it in the abstract, and avoid spoilers...

only?

ftOqU21.png
    is there a way to bring up only e-mails with attachments while using gmail?

Sarksus wrote: »

Only? What is your daily calorie allowance?

and my lunch was 84 calories of baby spinach

• rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    Anybody know what's going on in China?

This discussion has been closed.