As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The new action figures thread (NSF56k)

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    AAAARGH. Even as I knew how insane it was to be making a stop-motion video with that many characters, watching it go to black at the 4:00 minute mark was brutal.

Damn good job, though. Damn good job.

• grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    got the new avengers figs at walmart hate that they don't have wrist, waist or ankle articulation.
    but I now have an ultimates and a movie avengers display. not getting the new cap or ironman.
    IMG_20120227_203416.jpg
    IMG_20120227_203632.jpg
    oh and I switched out thors legs and forearms

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    My MakeToys Bulldozer and Excavator just shipped. This makes me VERY EXCITED. I'm glad that they cost almost half of what the TFC Hercules components cost (the Hercules toys are about $100 each, the MakeToys ones are $119 for two), so it's a lot easier to justify that purchase. Also, I think the MakeToys Not-Devastator (and individual bots) looks better than the TFC Not-Devastator (and individual bots).

Which doesn't mean I don't want TFC Hercules. I just don't want to spend $600 on it.

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    grim123 wrote:
    got the new avengers figs at walmart hate that they don't have wrist, waist or ankle articulation.
    but I now have an ultimates and a movie avengers display. not getting the new cap or ironman.
    IMG_20120227_203416.jpg
    IMG_20120227_203632.jpg
    oh and I switched out thors legs and forearms

I was just going to come in to post about the Avengers line. I picked up Ult Thor, as from the current line that's the one I'm really interested in- I really hate Haweye's costume.

I'm with you with the lack of articulation. It's really weird that they're a step down from the regular Universe line.

• ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    After 12 days of waiting this came!
    6942824485_e1e80e57cb_z.jpg
    Reigner Reviews: MOTUC Fisto

Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Holy crap, it's Fisto. I had the original, along with a whole suitcase full of He-Man toys. I remember popping their arms off and mixing them up.

Fun times.

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Got my Izanagi (from Persona 4) D-Arts figure today!

12%2B-%2B1

12+-+3

12+-+2

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Junior YankJunior Yank Registered User regular
    So I walked into a comics shop with a $20 gift certificate and this happened:
    IMAG0385.jpg

(Play Arts Kai Arkham Asylum Batman)

He's over 9" tall, so he's out of scale with basically all of my other figures, but... Batman.

• cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in. Hot Toys' Jack Nicholson Joker came in today.

jackjoker3.jpg

Between their Jack, Keaton Bats and Reeve Superman, they've really made my 9 year old self happy.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I just cleared off some space on one of my bookshelves and was thinking of starting a little geek collection in there, so quick question…

What websites do you guys recommend for figures? I have no idea what I want yet but there must be some niche websites that are a good repository for what’s coming out and when. I was browsing Amazon but it’s a pain filtering through all the crap in their toy section.

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    I just cleared off some space on one of my bookshelves and was thinking of starting a little geek collection in there, so quick question…

What websites do you guys recommend for figures? I have no idea what I want yet but there must be some niche websites that are a good repository for what’s coming out and when. I was browsing Amazon but it’s a pain filtering through all the crap in their toy section.

BigBadToyStore.

Have fun! Although I'd start there and search for things you might want, and the check prices with places like Amazon or Ebay to see if you can get a better deal elsewhere.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Thanks!

Finally got around to taking some shots of this!

6858451698_45d142a4e7_z.jpg
    And my accompanying review!

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    is that a medabot? I remember those guys. I liked being able to take em apart and make random configurations out of them.

initiatefailure on
    You can kind of do that with the D-arts too! Though I'm not sure if it's intentional or not.

6858478324_1dcc5b7474_z.jpg

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Reigner wrote: »
    Finally got around to taking some shots of this!

6858451698_45d142a4e7_z.jpg
    And my accompanying review!

Why would a robot need a cloak?

And why couldn't he afford a nicer one?

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Guys, can you give me a brief primer on Gundam models? I think this came up once before in this thread but I don't recall that discussion providing precisely the information I need.

I've recently been re-watching a few of the older Gundam shows I enjoyed as a kid, like 08th MS Team, and I thought it would be cool to have a nice model/figure or two to sit on my geek shelf next to my KidRobot Futurama guys and puroresu gashapons and such.

I'm not planning on starting a big collection of these things, and I am not prepared to go to the work of gluing and painting stuff - had a couple model planes and such as a kid that never did get finished. From what I can gather both the MG and HGUC line are snap-together construction and don't require painting (though you can do it if you want to improve the look). Is that correct? I just want something with a nice amount of detail that will look cool on my shelf, and maybe look a little cooler if I ever got ambitious enough to do the panel lines or a little paint touch up, but that will still be respectable out of the box and not be a hassle to put together.

Gaslight on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    OH MAN ROKUSHO

AND A METABEE ARM

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Guys, can you give me a brief primer on Gundam models? I think this came up once before in this thread but I don't recall that discussion providing precisely the information I need.

I've recently been re-watching a few of the older Gundam shows I enjoyed as a kid, like 08th MS Team, and I thought it would be cool to have a nice model/figure or two to sit on my geek shelf next to my KidRobot Futurama guys and puroresu gashapons and such.

I'm not planning on starting a big collection of these things, and I am not prepared to go to the work of gluing and painting stuff - had a couple model planes and such as a kid that never did get finished. From what I can gather both the MG and HGUC line are snap-together construction and don't require painting (though you can do it if you want to improve the look). Is that correct? I just want something with a nice amount of detail that will look cool on my shelf, and maybe look a little cooler if I ever got ambitious enough to do the panel lines or a little paint touch up, but that will still be respectable out of the box and not be a hassle to put together.

You might want to start with some of the simpler HGUC models, they're fairly simple to build and look good straight out of the box, but their size (around 5-6") means you get less of the fine detail you'd get from a MG kit (7" and up). The MG kits are more complex, but they also look better when completed and the size makes them better for display IMO.

Here's one of my MGs right out of the box, no paint and not the best picture:
    LwOBo.jpg

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    If you don't want to sit and put them together you can always just get the figures. I have the 08th MS Team ones:
    IMG_20120323_100014.jpg

herojoe on
    steam_sig-400.png
    I've put together a bunch of model kits from every grade (including two Perfect Grade kits). I'm going to state up-front that my main interest is the putting-together part; I pretty much lose all interest in the figure once I'm done with it. I have most of them up on display, but wouldn't miss them if they were gone. For this reason, I also prefer the higher-end, more complicated model kits - they're more fun to put together.

My favorites are the Master Grade ones (well, my FAVORITES are the Perfect Grade ones, but I don't always have ~$200 to drop on a model kit). They tend to cost around $60-$70, have a very high level of detail and complexity (lots of moving parts, lots of small visual detail on the individual parts), and are large/complex enough that the individual pieces pretty much come in the right colors. So, like, if a certain Gundam's leg is white with some red parts and some yellow parts, an MG version of that Gundam will probably have the white part of the leg composed of several pieces, and will have individual pieces of red plastic and yellow plastic that you will attach to the leg; the 1:144 scale models (I forgot what the grade is called; HG?) will probably have only four pieces of white plastic for the entire leg (two halves of the above-the-knee part and two halves of the below-the-knee part), and you will need to use either stickers or paint to add the proper color. From what I've seen, painting Gundam models the right way seems to require an airbrush, which (1) is super-expensive, (2) is complicated and messy to use, and (3) requires more artistic talent than I have. MG models generally don't require stickers (and if they do, it's usually in only a couple of small places, like the eyes), and look great unpainted.

I used to just assemble the models out of the box and call it a day, not even doing panel lines, but on the recent batch I've worked up the courage to do the panel lines. It turns out to be a lot simpler than I thought it would be, is fairly easy to fix if you screw up (if you look at the official line of Gundam Markers, you'll see that one is an "eraser" marker that seems to be some sort of a thinner or something that dilutes the ink and lets you wipe it off with a paper towel), and makes the models look way better.

Oh, another big difference: If you're looking at the smaller HG model kits, you will basically just be building the outer shell of the mecha. With the more complicated MG and PG kits, you'll build the inner skeleton of the model and then drape all the external panels around it.

The new Real Grade models are pretty cool. They are the same size as the HG models (1:144 scale), they have an internal skeleton like the Master and Perfect Grades do, and they have a lot of pieces (more than the HG models). I bought one in October at NYCC, but still haven't had a chance to put it together. It looks like a pretty great compromise of size, cost, complexity, and appearance, though.

Ooo, Vic Viper model kit.

HLJ has it too but it's not actually cheaper enough to just get there unless you get other stuff as well. Or if you just want it sooner I guess.

Kobra Khan finally came!

7043269517_94daaf4a0b_z.jpg
    Reigner Reviews: MotuC Kobra Khan

Two month of success for Mattel in a row, hopefully we hit a third month with Draego Man in a few weeks!

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Woot finally found an Ultimate Iron Man
    flF6S.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    Hey, I remember this thread.

Uh, I almost completed my main Brave robots collection. So that's something.

Botcon was this weekend, so new Transformers news and such.

New Marvel Legends: Pretty Awesome But Hard To Find.

WWE figures are something else I collect.

...that's all I got.

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    I have so much contempt right now for making game-accurate-colors Bruticus a SDCC exclusive. It will fade, but I am a wee bit more than ticked over that.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
    I was very excited when I saw that there was gonna be a combiner in the same style as the game, as I generally like that style, and nothing brings me grater joy than combiners. Then I saw photos of the toy, and became very sad. I have nothing but rage and contempt for Scramble City-style combiners, and I thought this one looked awkward, to boot.

OK, I just took another look at the photos. I can't tell if the limbs are interchangeable, so I guess it might not fit the strict definition of "Scramble City-style combiner", but I still hate the "make four robots into chunky blocks and then hang them off of the fifth torso-bot" approach to combiners.

all four of the non torso robots can turn from vehicle to robot to arm to leg

they arent chunky blocks at all

they actually have built in combiner mode hands and feet

it's a fucking marvel of engineering by hasbro

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    It's an incredible toy, no doubt. And I'm still happy that Hasbro went the distance. But I just felt like that glorious color-scheme was dangled in front of us then ripped away ... we're used to seeing the shiny Photoshopped jobs and expecting less ... this just feels like the general public got the less-we-expected, and then Hasbro also made what we never expected.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
    Antimatter wrote: »
    all four of the non torso robots can turn from vehicle to robot to arm to leg

they arent chunky blocks at all

they actually have built in combiner mode hands and feet

it's a fucking marvel of engineering by hasbro

OK, fair enough: they're not bricks in the same way that the original, say, Swindle and Brawl were. The original Swindle and Brawl were chunky blocks because their vehicle modes were chunky blocks. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say not "make four robots into chunky blocks and then hang them off of the fifth torso-bot", but rather "transform four robots into their vehicle modes and then hang them off of the fifth torso-bot", which is still in effect here: game-Bruticus's legs are game-Swindle in car mode on his end with his two feet flipped out to make one foot, and game-Brawl on his end with what looks like the turret flipped down to make a foot. I'll admit that even my beloved Devastator suffers from that to some extent: Bonecrusher and Scavenger are just the vehicles with forearms snapped onto them.

I do not like the Scramble City engineering principle. Since every limb has to be able to transform into every other limb, it means that the actual transformation into the limb can't be too unique (again, the original Scramble City limbs were basically the vehicle mode with a hand or foot plugged in on one end; OK, sometimes the arm would have a section flipped out to create an elbow joint/make the arm longer). Also, it means that all the Scramble City combiners combine in the same way: take the torso robot and make him put on mittens and galoshes made of other robots. If you dig that, cool. I'm not saying that Scramble City-style of combination is inherently bad or evil; I'm just saying that I, personally, find it boring. I've always preferred combiners where there is as much uniqueness to every transformation and combination as possible. For example, Magnaboss and Tripredacus, for all their flaws, are way more interesting to me than, say, Computron and Bruticus.

I will say, though, that (1) the individual game Combaticons look pretty cool, even if I might not like Bruticus; (2) I agree that it's ridiculous that the game-accurate color scheme is going to be super-exclusive.

fair enough

i like that these guys form the arms entirely on their own without bonus bits

sure, they can only form the lower legs while Onslaught makes the upper legs, but it's still pretty neat

I think it's fair to say that - Scramble City or otherwise - having all the gestalt connector bits integrated into the actual robots is much cooler than having them just be stand-alone kibble that snaps onto the robots/vehicles (in the forms of weapons/shields/whatever), which in turn is cooler than having those connectors be kibble that doesn't attach in any way to the robots/vehicles.

• 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    The original, 1980s-era idea behind Scramble City - that hey, maybe kids whose parents can't afford to go buy all the pieces of every combiner would still like the opportunity to build a bigger robot out of smaller robots - is nice. When it's the 1980s. And you're putting several combiner sets on the market simultaneously. And your target market is kids with no income and parents who have no personal interest in the toys.

When it's 2012, and you're doing one combiner, and they're all probably going to be shortpacked anyway, you don't necessarily have to stick with said philosophy. (Which they aren't in the strictest sense, since the hands and feet come built into the appendage-con designs.)

HOWEVER! It's Bruticus, who wouldn't really work as well as a non-Scramble City combiner anyway. I do wonder why they didn't go with Devastator over Bruticus.

8aVThp6.png
    i have no idea why they didn't do Devastator this time. I do know that if Bruticus sells well that Hasbro will think about a Devastator.

You just went 95% of the way to selling me that Bruticus, Anti.

(The remaining 5% is the price.)

Did Hasbro actually say that those were their plans? Because that's awesome. It would also be awesome if they made toys of the game-Dinobots, because those look super-cool.

edited May 2012
    they are hinting at Grimlock, but said it might be hard to do all five
    FoC Dinobot toys - no denying that Grimlock is going to be awesome in the game and everyone will want one. All five might be a bit tougher to do.
    No plans for a Classics Devastator yet - but if Bruticus does well then other Combiners might be tackled.
    okay, Matt Tieger, dude in charge of FoC, explains why Bruticus
    Matt is saying Bruticus was chosen for the variety the Combaticons present, because you will be playing as some of the Combaticons in the lead up to them combining into Bruticus.

all this stuff is from Botcon

Antimatter on
    Wait, you'll play as a Combaticon before combining into Bruticus? That's pretty interesting. They should also do it so you still control a Combaticon after the merge. But only one. So like you control just the right leg. Better make sure that your QWOP is up to snuff.

I'm kinda looking forward to this game. Everything I've seen of it so far looks neat. Too bad it's not gonna come out on PC.

yeah, considering it won't be coming out on PC I'll never get to play it. :\

really mad considering how awesome multiplayer customization looks.

you pick one of four vehicles, jet, tank, car, truck

then, you pick a torso, upper and lower arms, heads, legs, voice, colors, and tank barrels or wings

• 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Antimatter wrote: »
    okay, Matt Tieger, dude in charge of FoC, explains why Bruticus
    Matt is saying Bruticus was chosen for the variety the Combaticons present, because you will be playing as some of the Combaticons in the lead up to them combining into Bruticus.

Oh. Well. Yeah. I didn't even think about playing as Not Bruticus.

I mean, jeez, they've shown Vortex gameplay and I still didn't even think about it.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    !!!!
    theamazingspiderman375figures11.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
This discussion has been closed.