As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX 2012 Apps Thread *Official App is GUIDEBOOK & Devs read the thread!*

• wildbohrwildbohr Fredericton, NBRegistered User regular
    Kwood wrote: »
    Just wanted to chime in to confirm that there will be a guide on Guidebook for East, and it will be awesome. Sorry, no native WP7 app for East, but you can either use our mobile site at http://m.guidebook.com/, or try out one of the other apps in this thread.

Source: I'm the CTO at Guidebook and a 3-time PAX attendee.

Glad to hear it Kwood! I originally started checking guidebooks site once the schedule was 1st announced. The mobile site looks great on WP7, but I know I'll need offline since I'm crossing the border and data gets very expensive.

Great news! Pocket PAX is now code complete! I was going to publish to the marketplace before going to bed, but when I was running through marketplace verification it came across a couple of issues, which I've fixed. However a couple of the changes leave me a little worried and I'd like to do a little more testing in the morning to make sure the code is solid. Here's a screenshot in the meantime.

ScreenShot2.png

More screenshots are available at (also I left the old screenshots up there to compare (old == blue, new == red)https://picasaweb.google.com/115716356195104923721/PocketPAX

Pocket PAX has now been submitted to the marketplace. Now we wait ... :)

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    wildbohr wrote: »

curious, did you get permission to use the official PAX logo and the official twitter logo?

The Twitter logo falls under their guidelines for usage (http://support.twitter.com/articles/77641-guidelines-for-use-of-the-twitter-trademark)

The PAX logo I believe falls under copyright free because it's only text with a specific typeface: "a logo that is simply a sequence of letters or written words: Characters from a typeface are uncopyrightable in the U.S., so logos that consist purely of characters from a typeface are also uncopyrightable", but I'm no lawyer so I may be misinterpreting this.

However if either organization opposes the use of their respective logo I will release an update removing the images from the app. Since PAX is such a community focused event I can't see them objecting to the usage, I also make it very clear (and the 1st line) in the app description that this app has no affiliation with Penny Arcade or PAX and that both are Penny Arcade, Inc's trademarks.

@zerzhul - Honestly the speed at which I was trying to crank this out I never considered asking for usage permission and had to look that up.

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    I dont think the x in pax is part of a typeface.

7B14287.png
    peetsnack wrote: »
    I dont think the x in pax is part of a typeface.

That was my thought as well.

I just don't want to see your app get pulled needlessly if that ends up being an issue.

• benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I believe that is the same reason the PAX community logo can't use the PAX logo. Probably better to change it before someone notices!

PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    If this is, in fact, true, then myself and about 130 other people are in deep crap, because I know I didn't get permission to use the Pax logo on my trading card... granted, it was on the template and I didn't think anything of it, but just sayin...

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    vttym wrote: »
    If this is, in fact, true, then myself and about 130 other people are in deep crap, because I know I didn't get permission to use the Pax logo on my trading card... granted, it was on the template and I didn't think anything of it, but just sayin...

this is the reason why we spent so much time creating the "pax community logo"

Perhaps an Email to pax_questions@paxsite.com would be a good idea.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels

Big difference, I think, between making something for internal use and putting something in a piece of software on a public marketplace. There's things like size of reproduction, etc. This is the third year we've done trading cards, and we've given M&J binders of the cards. Pretty sure they're ok with the way the card uses it.

I've written pax_questions@paxsite.com to see how they weigh in on this.

If I do have to change the logo, maybe I'll shift it to be more in line with the community logo, where the X is of the same styling of the PA font.

Great news! PAX Questions responded to me and there is no problem with me using the logo so long as I don't sell it or monetize it in any way. Now we just have to wait for it to pass certification.

Also I am going to "try" to get a v1.1 out before PAX East, this would be for any possible required bug fixes or maybe an additional feature or 2. Due to the expectation that marketplace processing is taking longer I would need to shoot to have it ready for Mar 28 to make it in time for use at PAX. I'm going to try and figure out time wise what I could accomplish.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    That's really cool to hear. Thumbs up to the PA team.

I've begun work on v1.1, even though v1.0 hasn't been approved to the marketplace yet. v1.1 will support updating the in app schedule and tonight I began writing the search capability (and finished it). Search also supports the ability to filter on what panel location you want to contain the search to, again very focused on a metro design. I'm hoping to have the update functionality complete in the next couple of days. Ideally I'd like to have v1.1 finished for when the app is approved so I can submit the update right away.

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Any word about the official app yet? Only three weeks to go now!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Awesome work, @wildbohr -- can't wait to check it out.

• dalaamprincedalaamprince Registered User regular
    Chorazin wrote: »
    I'm wondering the same thing, the only thing I can figure is they're waiting for the full convention map to be released. That way they don't need to worry about updating the app with it later.

Chorazin wrote: »
    I'm wondering the same thing, the only thing I can figure is they're waiting for the full convention map to be released. That way they don't need to worry about updating the app with it later.

I imagine it will be soon. Typically it comes out after the maps.

AAaaaand the Official PAX East mobile App provider this year is: Guidebook!

I, for one, am very happy about this since Guidebook (and its predecessor conventionist) have been incredibly solid over the past few years.

For mobile users, go into guidebook and download the pax east guide (it was under "future" for me)
    The web guide is here: http://m.guidebook.com/1782/ it looks good on a browser, and is what wp7 users will have since there's no native wp7 app for guidebook.

This also means the full convention maps are available!

• ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    AAaaaand the Official PAX East mobile App provider this year is: Guidebook!

I, for one, am very happy about this since Guidebook (and its predecessor conventionist) have been incredibly solid over the past few years.

For mobile users, go into guidebook and download the pax east guide (it was under "future" for me)
    The web guide is here: http://m.guidebook.com/1782/ it looks good on a browser, and is what wp7 users will have since there's no native wp7 app for guidebook.

This also means the full convention maps are available!

AWESOME! Playing around with it now... seems to work very well!

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    [edit] derped and didn't notice this thread X(

Since the map is now live, I can publish MY MAPS!
    That image is HUGE, so if you want it floor by floor:
    Floor 0
    Floor 1
    Floor 2
    Floor 3

I have everything in .psd format, so I can make custom sizes, resolutions, and even black & white versions upon request. (PM me)

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    Downloaded the app, loving it already.

tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
    edited March 2012
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    The Guidebook app has just been updated to include PAX East 2012. Be sure to grab it on your Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Blackberry mobile devices.

Not seeing it in the Windows Phone marketplace. I know Zerzhul had mentioned just above that it wasn't available for Windows Phone, but your post seems to indicate otherwise - am I missing something?

vttym on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The Guidebook app has just been updated to include PAX East 2012. Be sure to grab it on your Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Blackberry mobile devices.

Not seeing it in the Windows Phone marketplace. I know Zerzhul had mentioned just above that it wasn't available for Windows Phone, but your post seems to indicate otherwise - am I missing something?
    The Guidebook FAQ page says it is available for all these devices. I think there's something on their page to walk you through downloading it.

[edit] Apparently scanning this code will do it: (from their official site)
    guidebook_qr.png

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    Just downloaded it to my Droid 2. It's AWESOME!

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    JerYnkFan wrote: »
    Just downloaded it to my Droid 2. It's AWESOME!

Agreed! Just redid my TripIt schedule into guidebook.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Awesome, great choice of app! Downloaded the Guide and I'll be setting up my schedule tonight!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • ProximaProxima Registered User regular
    Hey guys. For WP7 users unfortunately we don't have a native application yet. You can access nearly all of the same information via m.guidebook.com.

http://m.guidebook.com/1782/ specifically is the PAX East guide.

Let us know what you guys think! We work tirelessly to make the app something a conference goer would actually *use*, which is something a lot of other con apps aren't, so we appreciate your feedback immensely.

Thanks!

[edit] derped and didn't notice this thread X(

Since the map is now live, I can publish MY MAPS!
    That image is HUGE, so if you want it floor by floor:
    Floor 0
    Floor 1
    Floor 2
    Floor 3

I have everything in .psd format, so I can make custom sizes, resolutions, and even black & white versions upon request. (PM me)

Thank you so much.

Proxima wrote: »
    Hey guys. For WP7 users unfortunately we don't have a native application yet. You can access nearly all of the same information via m.guidebook.com.

Let us know what you guys think! We work tirelessly to make the app something a conference goer would actually *use*, which is something a lot of other con apps aren't, so we appreciate your feedback immensely.

Thanks!

Well, considering that at Prime everyone ditched the "official" app and used Guidebook instead, I'd say it definitely is something a con goer would actually use.

• ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    I'm especially liking the To-Do list feature of the app. Helps people like me make sure I accomplish what i need to, etc.

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • dalaamprincedalaamprince Registered User regular
    I'm using the ToDo list to make sure I hit all the booths (especially the smaller indie devs) and so I know when the parties start.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    i love that my panel schedule can remind me an hour BEFORE the panels i want to see so i don't forget to go line up. lots of good features, obviously going to be using this app a ton. thanks guidebook!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    Still no word from the marketplace on approval of Pocket PAX v1.0.

BUT... I almost have Pocket PAX v1.1 finished. 1.1 will have some very minor bug fixes, I reduced the amount of bandwidth used for twitter updates, a new search feature, a new rss feed feature (the pax feed), and a new schedule update mechanism.

• StrangeStaticStrangeStatic Mass.Registered User regular
    wildbohr wrote: »

Keep us updated. I wanna try this out :)

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/strangestatic
  • SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Proxima wrote: »

Thanks!

I'm a BlackBerry user and would like a cross-platform HTML5/JS/CSS app. In the meantime I will be grateful and use the mobile site, which renders well. Since it looks like there are more features in the iOS and Android apps, I can't really speak to what kind of features I would like.

Currently playing Stardew Valley and I Am Setsuna.

LPr3CtQ.png
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    ottoman673 wrote: »
    I'm especially liking the To-Do list feature of the app. Helps people like me make sure I accomplish what i need to, etc.

One of those 'to do' items will of course be 'pick up the PAX Forum badge from BYOC registration desk.'

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Nicole452Nicole452 Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    i love that my panel schedule can remind me an hour BEFORE the panels i want to see so i don't forget to go line up. lots of good features, obviously going to be using this app a ton. thanks guidebook!

This is my favorite feature also. So helpful! To-do list an handy maps too. The app is great. I already feel that overwhelmed "omg how am i going to see and do everything" feeling dissipating.