As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East Tabletop Freeplay Thread

• jsh357jsh357 Registered User regular
    I was playing around with the PAX app and noticed a few tournaments in there with no info... I've never done any tabletop at PAX, are they all open tournaments or do they require sign up somewhere?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    This will be my first expo of any kind ever, so I'm not even sure how to ask this. Will there be open games or workshops for D&D 4th Edition?

Every DM I know here insists on playing 3.5, which with its numerous supplements and rules, is similar to quantum physics: If you claim to understand it, you don't really understand it. Due to many misunderstandings regarding such supplemental rules (don't get me started on templates) I've played with people with characters so broken, the game is no longer fun.

Looking over the 4th Edition books, I like the newer system a lot better and it seems harder to break, but as nobody plays it (or wants to play it when they can't break it) where I live it's difficult to really get any experience. So I'd like to learn myself and hopefully gain enough experience that I can run a game and teach my wife and cohorts a superior, largely template-free system.

So will such a thing exist? Am I delusional? Is there a primer I should consult (aside from the core books) so that I can at least think that I know what people are talking about?

Last year I'm pretty sure that all the Wizards run events were 4th edition.

• hurricane_jackhurricane_jack Registered User regular
    It's always helpful to know when GMs are going to be there so we can make sure the tables are covered. If you want to commit to some 2-hour slots, that would be great! Just drop us a line and we'll add your name to our schedule.

I should be clear that we prefer it if GMs come prepared with a couple of game options in hand. It just makes it easier to meet the demand for a game everyone wants to play.

Thanks!

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    @Kalabajooie - Zerzhul is correct, the events hosted by Wizards of the Coast are all D&D 4th Edition, and include Learn To Play tables to become more familiar with the game :)

Nullzone on
  • sassfactor4sassfactor4 Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    I'd love to get in on a burning wheel game

• LelldorianxLelldorianx Registered User regular
    Savage Worlds :P

Editor @ GamersNexus.net
  • BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User regular
    I'm willing to help run Burning Wheel and Fiasco (is so much as you run Fiasco). I can give you times I'll be available a little later when I know my schedule.

How much notice do you need for people playing?

And how will people find you in the tabletop area?

• hurricane_jackhurricane_jack Registered User regular
    Players don't need to give notice- just drop by (ideally around even-numbered hours, starting at 10am) and ask the host what games are starting. We'll pitch the games and do our best to find you an open spot in a game that sounds good to you.

The Games on Demand tables should be located next to the Compleat Strategist booth. We'll try to have signs up as well, but if you can't find us, ask the Tabletop information booth or HQ for directions. In a pinch, you should be able to get updates on Twitter from @games_on_demand

• BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User regular
    Right on.

Well, it sounds fantastic to me. I'll make my way over and bring whomever else might be interested in my group.

• TheMilkmanTheMilkman Registered User new member
    So this is going to be my first ever PAX (I'm only able to make it for the first day; curse this timing) but I am wicked interested in this part. Can I have some clarification as to how this system works? Do people generally find their groups while there, or are they generally organized ahead of time? Is it necessary to bring my own games, or does the area have its own games to play?

• ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    Hey Milkman,

There's a library of board/card/tabletop games that you can borrow from and try to find a pick up groups for. Games on Demand will also be there, in their own room, running Indie Tabletops games every even hour. They have their own thread on the forum.

• KazamagdKazamagd Registered User regular
    Just to update my previous post. I now have everything for MahJong (4 Cards from 2009, tiles, holders) and will have them for the pre-PAX gaming at the Westin. So this is a go at least for that part of the weekend as long as we can get a table.

New question tho, if I have extra games I am trying to get rid of can I donate them to the library?

PAX EAST 2014 Status: [x] 3-Day Pass [x] Hotel [x] Travel Plans [ ] Waiting Patiently
  • browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    This will be my first expo of any kind ever, so I'm not even sure how to ask this. Will there be open games or workshops for D&D 4th Edition?

Every DM I know here insists on playing 3.5, which with its numerous supplements and rules, is similar to quantum physics: If you claim to understand it, you don't really understand it. Due to many misunderstandings regarding such supplemental rules (don't get me started on templates) I've played with people with characters so broken, the game is no longer fun.

Looking over the 4th Edition books, I like the newer system a lot better and it seems harder to break, but as nobody plays it (or wants to play it when they can't break it) where I live it's difficult to really get any experience. So I'd like to learn myself and hopefully gain enough experience that I can run a game and teach my wife and cohorts a superior, largely template-free system.

So will such a thing exist? Am I delusional? Is there a primer I should consult (aside from the core books) so that I can at least think that I know what people are talking about?

It's the first entry on this list (Wizard's list of stuff they'll be running during PAX east), so yes, it looks like there'll be intro to 4E again.

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    Kazamagd wrote: »
    Just to update my previous post. I now have everything for MahJong (4 Cards from 2009, tiles, holders) and will have them for the pre-PAX gaming at the Westin. So this is a go at least for that part of the weekend as long as we can get a table.

New question tho, if I have extra games I am trying to get rid of can I donate them to the library?

I *believe* the Freeplay Library is comprised of company donations and loans from Enforcers, much like the video game library. Hopefully someone else knows for sure.

• zarvokzarvok Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    We have a thread going on BGG for consolidating info about boardgaming stuff:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/780787/board-games-at-pax-east-2012-consolidated-info

I'll probably spend most of the weekend in the tabletop area and will be looking for folks to play boardgames. Can't wait!

zarvok on
  • screamingtruthscreamingtruth Registered User new member
    edited March 2012
    Just wanted to let the tabletoppers here know that we (Plaid Hat Games/ Summoner Wars/ Dungeon Run) will be at PAX East demoing and selling our games. We missed last year due to a stock problem and look forward to reuniting with those of you we introduced to Summoner Wars in 2010!

We are in booth # B36 & B37

screamingtruth on
  • Harlequin ShadowlandsHarlequin Shadowlands Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Greetings all,

I have 2 more slots open (total of 4 max) for players for my V20 game I will run Sat the 7th from noon to about 5p at PAX East.

If you are interested in joining us please get in touch with me ASAP adminATwodnewsDOTnet

Thanks and hope to hear from you!

Harlequin Shadowlands on
    -Harlequin
    Admin of World of Darkness News
    News, Community site for the WoD MMORPG
  • KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Okay, I'll be the idiot who asks: "What is V20?"

• KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    KoalaBro2 wrote: »

You're not an idiot. I've played Rifts, DnD 3rd-4th, Werewolf, Shadowrun, Wheel of Time.. I have no idea what he means either.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    im going to be bringing my copy of Cards Against Humanity and the expansion. im sure others will being it as well but im hoping to get a big game going.

7US7VWW.png
  • klzklz Registered User regular
    V20 is the Vampire the Masquerade's 20th Anniversary version.

• Gumbyx84Gumbyx84 Registered User regular
    Gumbyx84 wrote: »
    I'm up for bring my Pokemon deck with me. Its out of block but its my only viable deck >.<

I was wondering: Does anyone know of or :GASP: play the old Dragon Ball Z CCG? A bunch of friends and I have recently started playing again and I'm itching to take on some new players. I doubt I'll find anyone, but I might as well throw out a challenge and this is the best place for it.

I'm bringing two Dragon Ball Z CCG decks (my best two decks) if anyone wants to try the game out as well as my Yu-Gi-Oh deck. As for "normal" tabletop games, I'm bringing my copy of Back to the Future. Its a dumbed down version of Chrononauts but is still a blast to play.

• cypherbluecypherblue Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hi all,

I'm a native (and former 2010 Omeganaut) who help runs a local game group north of Boston. I enjoy teaching people games and also find it a great way to make friends.

I know this is kind of last minute, but I would be more than happy to help organize "learn to play" sessions for various board games in the Tabletop Freeplay area during the weekend. If you have a list of games that you are willing to teach newbies or a list that you really would like to learn, please post it here.

I'll start:

Willing to Teach
    Pandemic
    Dominion
    Tichu
    Rattus
    Carcassonne
    Saboteur
    7 Wonders
    Dominant Species
    Smallworld

Want to Learn
    Mage Knight
    Summoner Wars
    Bang!
    Hey That's My Fish
    Flash Point Fire Rescue
    Merchants & Marauders
    Survive: Escape from Atlantis
    Genoa
    Other Mahjong variations (I play Riichi)

cypherblue on
  • cypherbluecypherblue Registered User regular
    Has anyone ever attempted a game of Quelf at PAX before? Anyone want to try? I think it has the potential to get quite hilarious.

• TechnoShamanTechnoShaman Shaman ZpocalypseRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Was told this was the best place to post this.

Just wanted to give a shout out to for any boardgamers looking for a multi survivor zombie bashing survival horror board game!

We'll be in Section A21-A24 doing play demo's, running a daily raffle and taking Kickstarter pledges for pre orders.

*Right now we're already funded, but trying to raise more capitol to include a larger variety of awesome miniatures to include in the game[mini's are so expensive to make!]
    We still have slots open for people who want to be in the game, so if that's your thing, check us out!

zpocalypse_header.gif

Zpocalypse is a survival board game set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Two to four players start in a basement/fallout shelter which can lead out to several base locations or even through the tunnels to sewer grates throughout the transformable board. Their survivors are trying to make it day to day in a world torn apart from the walking dead.

game_components.jpg

Feedback and questions welcome.

TechnoShaman on
  • TechnoShamanTechnoShaman Shaman ZpocalypseRegistered User regular
    Do you have to sign up before hand or it it first come first serve?

• RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    cypherblue wrote: »
    Has anyone ever attempted a game of Quelf at PAX before? Anyone want to try? I think it has the potential to get quite hilarious.

I can see Quelf being either super-ridiculous or ending up kind of lame due to a lack of regular household items. Either way, I'd play and could probably get a few others to join.

I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • rascalrascal Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    cypherblue wrote: »

I know this is kind of last minute, but I would be more than happy to help organize "learn to play" sessions for various board games in the Tabletop Freeplay area during the weekend. If you have a list of games that you are willing to teach newbies or a list that you really would like to learn, please post it here.

I'll start:

Willing to Teach
    Pandemic
    Dominion
    Tichu
    Rattus
    Carcassonne
    Saboteur
    7 Wonders
    Dominant Species
    Smallworld
    Great idea, thanks for offering! I'd love to learn to play Pandemic.

rascal on
  • DArtagnanDArtagnan Registered User regular
    Aw man I reallly want to play table

• DArtagnanDArtagnan Registered User regular
    Let me restate that since my post came out weird.
    "Aw man I really want to play a table top campaign. Only familiar with D&D (3.5 and 4e) and White Wolf. But I'm willing and eager to learn any new systems.
    If you are running a table top you can contacted me on the account. I'll be logging on frequently up to Pax."

P.S.-I've played Z-pocalypse (I'm local) it really fun. You all should stop by and try it out.

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    Feedback and questions welcome.
    Want to come and teach your game on Tuesday night? Check out the thread for J. J. Foley's - we're always down to play new games . . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Harlequin ShadowlandsHarlequin Shadowlands Registered User regular
    KoalaBro2 wrote: »

Vampire the Masquerade's 20th Anniversary version.

But if you have 2nd ed or what not for character creation that's fine too. :)

-Harlequin
    Admin of World of Darkness News
    News, Community site for the WoD MMORPG
  • JeepCrewJeepCrew Registered User new member
    edited April 2012
    Let me start by apologizing if this is in the wrong area or has been posted elsewhere. I looked through and only found a locked thread from last year's event.

That being said, I know that WotC will be hosting several types of events. Learn to play, Encounters, etc. Is anyone out there planning on running any events or encounters where two novices could come to learn more? We did the learn to play last year and actually have played some since, but with an all-new-to-the-game group so we are pretty new still. Would love to just sit in on a couple games as well if available. Unfortunately we fly in on Friday so can't attend the pre-PAX gaming sessions lol.

Any help pointing me in the right direction or info would be much appreciated. Thanks and see you all in a couple days!

JeepCrew on
    edited April 2012
    I actually don't think there's any info on it at this point. I'd be very surprised if they weren't running some learn to play sessions again this year though. You could try to contact someone at WotC directly and find out.

Edit: just found all the info on the D&D website. Looks like a pretty extensive schedule.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Feature.aspx?x=dnd/feature/paxeast2012

zerzhul on
    Yeah, I saw all that. We just don't want to be "those guys" who go to one of the WotC sessions and don't seem to know what's going on as much as maybe we should and hold anything up. Was just seeing if anyone was running some unofficial stuff or just for fun stuff. Thanks for the response. We'll probably try those anyways :D

edited April 2012
    JeepCrew wrote: »
    Yeah, I saw all that. We just don't want to be "those guys" who go to one of the WotC sessions and don't seem to know what's going on as much as maybe we should and hold anything up. Was just seeing if anyone was running some unofficial stuff or just for fun stuff. Thanks for the response. We'll probably try those anyways :D

Well considering a whole bunch of them are "Learn To Play" events.... that assume you know NOTHING about the game.... uhh... what are you talking about?

Seriously... the L2P events are great.

zerzhul on
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular

you said you did learn-to-play sessions last year; how was that? looking to try it out this year, have never actually played d&d before. any reason you weren't thinking of doing learn-to-play again?

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    tvethiopia wrote: »

you said you did learn-to-play sessions last year; how was that? looking to try it out this year, have never actually played d&d before. any reason you weren't thinking of doing learn-to-play again?

I didn't think he said anything about actually doing the L2P events, only that he saw that there were L2P events last year... Maybe I mis-interpreted.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We had a great time at the L2P last year, and I hadn't played since the red box of my youth. Maybe do a L2P as a refresher and then join a full game the next day once you've jogged your memories?

Yeah, sorry, I might not have been very clear. At 2011, we did one of the L2P events. It was a great experience. Our DM was hilarious. It does a great job of giving you the basic tools to play. A pre-made character, a short encounter to see how rolls work and such. It's an hour-long event though since it's L2P, quite a bit is talking and explaining things like stats, rolls, turns, the purpose of the game, etc. Having done that, we were just looking to kind of take the next step. Watch some actual events or participate with some other relatively new players so that we don't hold up anything doing one of the actual encounters.

I highly recommend the L2P to anyone who hasn't played before and we may end up doing it again to try and catch anything we might have missed last time.