Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Community: Season 4 Premiere February 7, Old Timeslot

12324262829100

Posts

  • baronfelbaronfel Registered User regular
    baronfel wrote: »
    anyone have a clip to the end tag/evil abed section people are talking about? My DVR cut off last night just after Abed entered the Dreamatorium :(

    http://www.hulu.com/watch/343171/community-evil-abed#s-p1-sr-i1

    Yeah, I would have done that, but I'm at work so Hulu is blocked.

  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Registered User
    Yeah I was a little weirded out by the visuals too. Just kind of random, I wonder if it's going to be a thing now.

  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus ha ha just kidding I'm Frog ManRegistered User regular
    Ego wrote: »
    So is this the first time it's confirmed for sure that:
    Spoiler:

    Also, loved the ending. EVIL ABED.
    Spoiler:

  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Ego wrote: »
    So is this the first time it's confirmed for sure that:
    Spoiler:

    Also, loved the ending. EVIL ABED.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ratings dropped down from 2.2 to 1.7, but it was still NBC's highest rated show of the night.

    Captain Tragedy on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Ego wrote: »
    So is this the first time it's confirmed for sure that:
    Spoiler:

    Also, loved the ending. EVIL ABED.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

    Depending upon the availability of parking.

  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    This episode was solid. I laughed out loud a bunch. Everything Troy said was awesome if not always funny.

    Every since his 21st birthday Troy has seemed to be the only normal person in the group.

    I loved "No interventions! You guys need to stop intervening! Seriously, you have a problem."

    As well as some of Jeff's narcisism jokes. His "I explained that really well." to kick things off was great.

    This episode was great. I am getting sick of the weird visuals (expanding hearts, the images inside jeff including annies boobs last week). But overall, I love it. It also seems like both this and 30 Rock decided to say fuck it and just do whatever they want and not worry about ratings. All the while yelling "were doing what we want and we know you wont watch this!"

    616610-1.png
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Abed as Jamie Lee Curtis had me rolling (and it definitely took a minute or two to get who he was).

    At this point, I'm not sure I could distinguish a real Moby if I saw one in the wild.

    oh the abed thing was torture because I was sitting there saying "I'm supposed to know who he is! it's a reference to past episodes!" but I couldn't put my finger on it.

    BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Hearthstone%20DoA.png
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I am so excited about the idea of... (most recent episode spoilers)
    Spoiler:

    Also was this another one of those instances where this episode is clearly out of order compared to last week? They were doing all the "Welcome back from break!" at the beginning of this episode instead of last episode. Or I guess they could be in order and the original intended air dates got all bamboozled by the hiatus.

    Kid Presentable on
  • CambiataCambiata I'm an alchemist and the beat is my base metal Registered User regular
    But wait!
    Spoiler:

    -Tal wrote:
    If you don't develop Stockholm Syndrome, it's not a real RPG.
    Steam
    Origin ID: jazzmess
    Wishlist
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    kid presentable I assume it's because of the hiatus but you could be correct.

    BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Hearthstone%20DoA.png
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    After further thought, these episodes are probably in order and the hiatus just messed up the timing. Otherwise there would be a very severe case of "reset button" going on after the ending of this week's episode, which would be disappointing. I want some payoff next week.

  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    This episode was 311, the wedding episode was 312. They flipped them.

  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    This episode was 311, the wedding episode was 312. They flipped them.

    As much as I hate it when shows do that, I get why they did here. The wedding episode was both better and more relatable than this last one.

  • Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    I really loved this episode. I'm finding this half of the season a lot funnier than the first half so far.

    6wVwf51.gif
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm going to give my at-the-time good impressions:

    "Wait! Hello?" "Hello."

    "...I have a heavy flashlight for them!"

    "That's not relevant," and "LOOK AT HIS SHADOW!"

    "Jeff is in grave danger. Hey hey!"

    The Moby lookalike who was a Moby lookalike in HIMYM. A psychotic murderous Moby lookalike.

    "This is crazy. And inaccessible and maybe too dark."

    Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.
    Spoiler:
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    "This is crazy. And inaccessible and maybe too dark."

    New thread title?

  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118051750

    Hopes are high for a fourth season of Community after every other show on television seems to have failed.

    Taramoor on
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    This episode was 311, the wedding episode was 312. They flipped them.

    Troy and Abed's behavior makes absolutely no sense in the wedding episode after this one.

    I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm saying it's not consistent from a character development standpoint.

    s5DoctorFezSunSig.png?t=1306367580.png
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    This episode was 311, the wedding episode was 312. They flipped them.

    Troy and Abed's behavior makes absolutely no sense in the wedding episode after this one.

    I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm saying it's not consistent from a character development standpoint.

    Not necessarily. This episode had Troy introduce the idea that his behavior isn't always "right", and the wedding episode had them make an attempt to be normal. This could be seen as a failed attempt to "correct" himself after learning this.

    Also, the ending scenes with Abed in this episode could be more a foreshadowing of future problems, rather than a sudden seismic shift in behavior. The fact that Abed didn't respond to Troy in the same way at the end of this episode could be more him trying to process what just happened in that moment, rather than "things have now completely changed forever".

    Ultimately, I think it can work either way.

    Captain Tragedy on
  • TavTav Registered User regular
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    useless4 wrote: »
    I didn't think it was weird or bad... I thought it had some season one feel to it actually. it did go off the track a little at the end however.

    I don't mean that it was weird in the sense of being implausible within the show's universe, since obviously that zombie episode tops everything.

    But zombies are something we've seen on other shows, and I can explain the premise to someone else and they'll more or less know what to expect.

    But
    Spoiler:

    But running a chicken fingers mafia or being stuck in a KFC spaceship simulator or... is not outlandish?

  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Would have been happy to give up the rest of Community for not having to wait a month for more Parks and Rec. Especially after last night's episode.

    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    useless4 wrote: »
    useless4 wrote: »
    I didn't think it was weird or bad... I thought it had some season one feel to it actually. it did go off the track a little at the end however.

    I don't mean that it was weird in the sense of being implausible within the show's universe, since obviously that zombie episode tops everything.

    But zombies are something we've seen on other shows, and I can explain the premise to someone else and they'll more or less know what to expect.

    But
    Spoiler:

    But running a chicken fingers mafia or being stuck in a KFC spaceship simulator or... is not outlandish?

    They're outlandish, but they were also presented as film parodies and those are both common and, by virtue of using familiar source material, easier for most people to grasp.

    Like, I'd actually say that the My Dinner With Andre episode is more inaccessible than the KFC episode simply because more people have seen Apollo 13 than My Dinner With Andre. A dinner is more mundane than a shuttle launch, but the idea of a person who's so detached from reality that he can only approach normality by imitating fiction is harder to wrap your head around than a spoof on a blockbuster film.

    By the same token, the fact that the most recent episode relies on an understanding on Abed and doesn't have a basis in some familiar pop culture touchstone (like Apollo 13 or Goodfellas) makes it especially weird.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    After failing to gain admission with his Burt Reynolds celebrity costume, Pierce should have said he wasn't impersonating Burt Reynolds, he was impersonating Chevy Chase.

    emnmnme on
    easybossfight_zps4752c132.gif
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Registered User
    emnmnme wrote: »
    After failing to gain admission with his Burt Reynolds celebrity costume, Pierce should have said he wasn't impersonating Burt Reynolds, he was impersonating Chevy Chase.

    I was thinking the same thing, but that would be a little too blatant. I'm not sure Chevy Chase actually exists in the Community universe.

  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    useless4 wrote: »
    useless4 wrote: »
    I didn't think it was weird or bad... I thought it had some season one feel to it actually. it did go off the track a little at the end however.

    I don't mean that it was weird in the sense of being implausible within the show's universe, since obviously that zombie episode tops everything.

    But zombies are something we've seen on other shows, and I can explain the premise to someone else and they'll more or less know what to expect.

    But
    Spoiler:

    But running a chicken fingers mafia or being stuck in a KFC spaceship simulator or... is not outlandish?

    They're outlandish, but they were also presented as film parodies and those are both common and, by virtue of using familiar source material, easier for most people to grasp.

    Like, I'd actually say that the My Dinner With Andre episode is more inaccessible than the KFC episode simply because more people have seen Apollo 13 than My Dinner With Andre. A dinner is more mundane than a shuttle launch, but the idea of a person who's so detached from reality that he can only approach normality by imitating fiction is harder to wrap your head around than a spoof on a blockbuster film.

    By the same token, the fact that the most recent episode relies on an understanding on Abed and doesn't have a basis in some familiar pop culture touchstone (like Apollo 13 or Goodfellas) makes it especially weird.

    I'm not sure that most of this criticism wouldn't apply equally to any show which requires the viewer to be invested in watching it consistently and understanding the characters. I know that this was not a hallmark of older sitcoms, but it has become increasingly common with modern shows like arrested development or the office.

  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    useless4 wrote: »
    useless4 wrote: »
    I didn't think it was weird or bad... I thought it had some season one feel to it actually. it did go off the track a little at the end however.

    I don't mean that it was weird in the sense of being implausible within the show's universe, since obviously that zombie episode tops everything.

    But zombies are something we've seen on other shows, and I can explain the premise to someone else and they'll more or less know what to expect.

    But
    Spoiler:

    But running a chicken fingers mafia or being stuck in a KFC spaceship simulator or... is not outlandish?

    They're outlandish, but they were also presented as film parodies and those are both common and, by virtue of using familiar source material, easier for most people to grasp.

    Like, I'd actually say that the My Dinner With Andre episode is more inaccessible than the KFC episode simply because more people have seen Apollo 13 than My Dinner With Andre. A dinner is more mundane than a shuttle launch, but the idea of a person who's so detached from reality that he can only approach normality by imitating fiction is harder to wrap your head around than a spoof on a blockbuster film.

    By the same token, the fact that the most recent episode relies on an understanding on Abed and doesn't have a basis in some familiar pop culture touchstone (like Apollo 13 or Goodfellas) makes it especially weird.

    I'm not sure that most of this criticism wouldn't apply equally to any show which requires the viewer to be invested in watching it consistently and understanding the characters. I know that this was not a hallmark of older sitcoms, but it has become increasingly common with modern shows like arrested development or the office.

    I'm not criticizing it, and in fact I preferred it to last week's episode (which I said was kind of safe but made sense as an episode to welcome new viewers).

  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    After failing to gain admission with his Burt Reynolds celebrity costume, Pierce should have said he wasn't impersonating Burt Reynolds, he was impersonating Chevy Chase.

    No, fat chevy chase.

  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    After failing to gain admission with his Burt Reynolds celebrity costume, Pierce should have said he wasn't impersonating Burt Reynolds, he was impersonating Chevy Chase.

    No, fat Steve Martin.

    s5DoctorFezSunSig.png?t=1306367580.png
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118051750

    Hopes are high for a fourth season of Community after every other show on television seems to have failed.
    Though a multicam sitcom with a more traditional structure, "Big Bang" shares with "Community" characters in a college-set world, an unadulterated fondness for pop culture and an appeal for young-male demos. Harmon said that research has shown that "Big Bang" and "Community" have a "huge overlap" in audience, in the neighborhood of 30%.

    What the fuck?

  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Given the big ratings drop when Community's up against new BBT, that's not really a surprise.

  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Given the big ratings drop when Community's up against new BBT, that's not really a surprise.

    I literally don't understand how anyone could like both shows. One is clever and original and has higher, single camera production values, and the other has a studio audience and is on par with Reba as far as the writing goes.

  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    Given the big ratings drop when Community's up against new BBT, that's not really a surprise.

    I literally don't understand how anyone could like both shows. One is clever and original and has higher, single camera production values, and the other has a studio audience and is on par with Reba as far as the writing goes.

    Both shows feature nerds and make constant references to things that nerds might enjoy, like Doctor Who or Dungeons and Dragons or Magic: The Gathering.

  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Given the big ratings drop when Community's up against new BBT, that's not really a surprise.

    I literally don't understand how anyone could like both shows. One is clever and original and has higher, single camera production values, and the other has a studio audience and is on par with Reba as far as the writing goes.

    Both shows feature nerds and make constant references to things that nerds might enjoy, like Doctor Who or Dungeons and Dragons or Magic: The Gathering.

    I don't cook or use meth or have any interest in the subject matter, but I love Breaking Bad. The subject of a show seems like one of the least important parts. Writing, production, and acting are all that I care about. I guess a lot of people feel differently? FWIW, it literally never occurred to me that Community would be a show for nerds, especially based on the first season.

  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I just imagine that BBT is so absurdly popular that there's bound to be crossover between its audience and the audience of any other show.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Big Bang Theory (putting aside the issue of quality and just looking at it commercially) is one of those monster shows that comes around every once in awhile that just manages for whatever reason to attract a gigantic amount of people across a lot of demographics, including, apparently, people who also are into shows like Community.

    EDIT: What Robos A Go Go said.

    Captain Tragedy on
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Big Bang Theory (putting aside the issue of quality and just looking at it commercially) is one of those monster shows that comes around every once in awhile that just manages for whatever reason to attract a gigantic swath of people across a lot of demographics, including, apparently, people who also are into shows like Community.

    EDIT: What Robos A Go Go said.

    Is it really that popular? I literally never hear people talking about it, vs shows like the office that everyone I know seems to watch. But then I am consistently amazed that NBC is the last place network since it is the only network I watch anymore, and that CBS is first place since I have not watched anything on it in over a decade (I don't remember ever watching anything on it, actualy) and I never hear people talking about any CBS shows.

  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Big Bang Theory (putting aside the issue of quality and just looking at it commercially) is one of those monster shows that comes around every once in awhile that just manages for whatever reason to attract a gigantic swath of people across a lot of demographics, including, apparently, people who also are into shows like Community.

    EDIT: What Robos A Go Go said.

    Is it really that popular? I literally never hear people talking about it, vs shows like the office that everyone I know seems to watch. But then I am consistently amazed that NBC is the last place network since it is the only network I watch anymore, and that CBS is first place since I have not watched anything on it in over a decade (I don't remember ever watching anything on it, actualy) and I never hear people talking about any CBS shows.

    It's the most popular comedy on television by a huge margin, and I think it passed NCIS as the most popular show on TV. Hell, a repeat on TBS won its timeslot a couple nights ago.

    enlightenedbum on
    Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
Sign In or Register to comment.