Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Let's go back to my place and I can put my bar magnet into your solenoid [For Science!]

135

Posts

  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Member of Twin Club Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You're just jealous because we get to do the fun stuff

    Butler For Life #1 on
    wb5cft.png
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Do you get to build stuff, then blow it up? Do you get to play with lasers?

    If not, you are not doing the fun stuff.

    terriblepostsigpic.jpg
    AusPAX tickets get [X] Accomodation get [X] Plane tickets get [X] Goodie giftbags made [ ]
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    IpseDixit wrote: »
    Comahawk wrote: »
    ceres wrote:
    Are you a science major or scientist-by-trade (mad or otherwise)? I know there are a number floating around.

    Today was my day to go down to the fish room maintained by my lab advisor and feed them. I get down there and discover that apparently overnight there was some sort of fishpocalypse, and three tanks of fish are dead or dying.

    I hate going down there to find that sort of thing, and in my two and a half years there it's not even the first time it's happened. :/

    Tell me about your day, or a typical day for you. What sort of joys and pitfalls do you face daily doing what you do?

    GIVE TO ME YOUR SCIENCE-RELATED ANECDOTES.

    How did the fish die?

    All it takes is one fish to die for whatever reason

    That dead fish starts to decay and creates an ammonia spike, increased ammonia levels cause the weaker fish to die and then a domino effect occurs

    Yeah, it takes more than that though. Unless that fish was allowed to fester in the tank for more than a day, that ammonia spike isn't likely to kill off the rest of the tank inhabitants. If this were true, the aquarium industry would be bankrupt pretty quick.

    Unless these are very picky species of fish, it sounds kind of like sloppy tank keeping habits. Really, three things kill fish: stress, bad water conditions and disease. Water conditions are easily controllable, and there is a crap load of products/info on how to do so. Disease is avoidable if you use a quarantine tank and stress can be reduced/eliminated through a variety of methods. Out of all the reasons, disease is the only one that cannot really be countered.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    omg science thread

    where's @druhim to explain quantum theory to me again

    8->

    66OoDuJ.jpg
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Member of Twin Club Registered User regular
    Do you get to build stuff, then blow it up? Do you get to play with lasers?

    If not, you are not doing the fun stuff.

    do you get to modify life?

    Biology is the discipline of Victor Frankenstein. The awesomest scientist ever. HE BECAME UNTO A GOD.

    QED, as you math guys might put it.

    wb5cft.png
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Do you get to build stuff, then blow it up? Do you get to play with lasers?

    Actually, yes.

    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I have a bachelor of ecology. So ya: unemployed.

    JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Do you get to build stuff, then blow it up? Do you get to play with lasers?

    If not, you are not doing the fun stuff.

    do you get to modify life?

    Biology is the discipline of Victor Frankenstein. The awesomest scientist ever. HE BECAME UNTO A GOD.

    QED, as you math guys might put it.

    Modify life, by firing high-powered lasers at it.

    terriblepostsigpic.jpg
    AusPAX tickets get [X] Accomodation get [X] Plane tickets get [X] Goodie giftbags made [ ]
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Do you get to build stuff, then blow it up? Do you get to play with lasers?

    Actually, yes.

    You sir, win.

    terriblepostsigpic.jpg
    AusPAX tickets get [X] Accomodation get [X] Plane tickets get [X] Goodie giftbags made [ ]
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off. Escape while you can.Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    heh bio nerds think they're doing real science

    go join the political scientists and scientologists you weaksaucientists

    go ahead tough guy

    tell me that biology is just memorization and that it's not one of the hard sciences

    go ahead and tell me that

    ok
    Spoiler:

  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Do you get to build stuff, then blow it up? Do you get to play with lasers?

    Actually, yes.

    You sir, win.

    yay!

    Almost blinded myself with the green laser on our fancy-pants microscope a little while back

    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • ceresceres Just your problem OoSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    Comahawk wrote: »
    ceres wrote:
    Are you a science major or scientist-by-trade (mad or otherwise)? I know there are a number floating around.

    Today was my day to go down to the fish room maintained by my lab advisor and feed them. I get down there and discover that apparently overnight there was some sort of fishpocalypse, and three tanks of fish are dead or dying.

    I hate going down there to find that sort of thing, and in my two and a half years there it's not even the first time it's happened. :/

    Tell me about your day, or a typical day for you. What sort of joys and pitfalls do you face daily doing what you do?

    GIVE TO ME YOUR SCIENCE-RELATED ANECDOTES.

    How did the fish die?

    I think the filtration system is the best he can do on his budget, which wouldn't be bad except the water in our area is terrible. He'd just changed the fish over to new tanks, so I'm guessing there was something still in that water that shouldn't have been. Only a few were dead when I got down there, but I think he's going to lose those tanks. :/

    I've got my own life and I've got my own plans
    I hope you understand, and like the way that I am
  • Count ZeroCount Zero Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Do you get to build stuff, then blow it up? Do you get to play with lasers?

    Actually, yes.

    You sir, win.

    yay!

    Almost blinded myself with the green laser on our fancy-pants microscope a little while back

    Would you say that you were nearly blinded, with science?

    Count Zero on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38624&dateline=1248802110
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Comahawk wrote: »
    ceres wrote:
    Are you a science major or scientist-by-trade (mad or otherwise)? I know there are a number floating around.

    Today was my day to go down to the fish room maintained by my lab advisor and feed them. I get down there and discover that apparently overnight there was some sort of fishpocalypse, and three tanks of fish are dead or dying.

    I hate going down there to find that sort of thing, and in my two and a half years there it's not even the first time it's happened. :/

    Tell me about your day, or a typical day for you. What sort of joys and pitfalls do you face daily doing what you do?

    GIVE TO ME YOUR SCIENCE-RELATED ANECDOTES.

    How did the fish die?

    I think the filtration system is the best he can do on his budget, which wouldn't be bad except the water in our area is terrible. He'd just changed the fish over to new tanks, so I'm guessing there was something still in that water that shouldn't have been. Only a few were dead when I got down there, but I think he's going to lose those tanks. :/

    That is really sad. The water can be cleaned up on the cheap (assuming it is a standard city water) using an additive such as Aqua plus. AP has the advantage of also working against chloramine, which some cities use in leu of standard chlorine. This stuff, or products like it, can be bought at Walmart and in general a $15 bottle will treat over 1000L of water. Besides that, just doing water changes 2-3 times per week will help offset a shitty/underpowered filter a bit.

    Another factor which might be contributing to fish death is keeping large amounts of fish in a small environment. Besides causing large ammonia spikes due to horrible amounts of fish waste, the fish (dependant on species) may be attacking each other and stressing each other out.

    I've only recently gotten into the hobby of keeping an aquarium, but it is actually pretty fun. There are crap loads of forums and informative websites available with people who are extremely knowledgable. Also, local aquarium hobby stores tend to have people who know what they are doing, especially when it comes to managing large populations of overstocked fish tanks.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    Do you get to build stuff, then blow it up? Do you get to play with lasers?

    If not, you are not doing the fun stuff.

    do you get to modify life?

    Biology is the discipline of Victor Frankenstein. The awesomest scientist ever. HE BECAME UNTO A GOD.

    QED, as you math guys might put it.

    Tesla.

  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Do you get to build stuff, then blow it up? Do you get to play with lasers?

    If not, you are not doing the fun stuff.

    do you get to modify life?

    Biology is the discipline of Victor Frankenstein. The awesomest scientist ever. HE BECAME UNTO A GOD.

    QED, as you math guys might put it.

    In regards to playing with life.

    funny-Schrodingers-Cat-angry-box.jpg

    Blake T on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    I'm a computer scientist, does that count

  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Tossrock wrote: »
    I'm a computer scientist, does that count

    No, astrologists and pyramidolgists are the only true scientists.

    Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter Nattravnen Registered User regular
    guys can we talk about using Jathropa as a biofuel

    not just because it's awesome and feasable but because its toxicity and usefulness means it's the closest thing we're going to get to real life Tiberium

    RCmKIvs.gif
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    Tossrock wrote: »
    I'm a computer scientist, does that count

    No, astrologists and pyramidolgists are the only true scientists.

    dang

  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    guys can we talk about using Jathropa as a biofuel

    not just because it's awesome and feasable but because its toxicity and usefulness means it's the closest thing we're going to get to real life Tiberium

    But how does using this put money into the corn industry's pockets? This isn't corn.

    Maybe if you call it Fuel Corn instead of Jatropha.

    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I spent fifteen minutes in tax class yesterday proving mathematically that while granting an above the line deduction for state taxes reduces the progressiveness of the total tax burden, it is not actually regressive, as the professor argued

    the woman who sits next to me asked what all the math was

    I tried to explain it

    completely blank look on her face

    the moral of the story is that most lawyers can't do basic arithmetic, let alone think algebraically

    think on that the next time your attorney tells you you need him

    MrMonroe on
  • ceresceres Just your problem OoSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    Comahawk wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »
    Comahawk wrote: »
    ceres wrote:
    Are you a science major or scientist-by-trade (mad or otherwise)? I know there are a number floating around.

    Today was my day to go down to the fish room maintained by my lab advisor and feed them. I get down there and discover that apparently overnight there was some sort of fishpocalypse, and three tanks of fish are dead or dying.

    I hate going down there to find that sort of thing, and in my two and a half years there it's not even the first time it's happened. :/

    Tell me about your day, or a typical day for you. What sort of joys and pitfalls do you face daily doing what you do?

    GIVE TO ME YOUR SCIENCE-RELATED ANECDOTES.

    How did the fish die?

    I think the filtration system is the best he can do on his budget, which wouldn't be bad except the water in our area is terrible. He'd just changed the fish over to new tanks, so I'm guessing there was something still in that water that shouldn't have been. Only a few were dead when I got down there, but I think he's going to lose those tanks. :/

    That is really sad. The water can be cleaned up on the cheap (assuming it is a standard city water) using an additive such as Aqua plus. AP has the advantage of also working against chloramine, which some cities use in leu of standard chlorine. This stuff, or products like it, can be bought at Walmart and in general a $15 bottle will treat over 1000L of water. Besides that, just doing water changes 2-3 times per week will help offset a shitty/underpowered filter a bit.

    Another factor which might be contributing to fish death is keeping large amounts of fish in a small environment. Besides causing large ammonia spikes due to horrible amounts of fish waste, the fish (dependant on species) may be attacking each other and stressing each other out.

    I've only recently gotten into the hobby of keeping an aquarium, but it is actually pretty fun. There are crap loads of forums and informative websites available with people who are extremely knowledgable. Also, local aquarium hobby stores tend to have people who know what they are doing, especially when it comes to managing large populations of overstocked fish tanks.

    We use a tap water conditioner (I think it IS Alpha Plus, actually), plus stress coat if they're looking woozy, and there is a filtration and aeration system in place, but it the water drips into the tanks too fast it overwhelms the filters. The fish are Danio rerio, and there aren't so many of them in those tanks that there should be a problem. It's just frustrating. He really wants to put in a nice UV filtration system and a holding tank, but unfortunately that's a lot more money than he's got in the budget at the moment. I think he ends up spending some of his own money on it as it is. :/

    I've got my own life and I've got my own plans
    I hope you understand, and like the way that I am
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Let's go down to the beach. Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Comahawk wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »
    Comahawk wrote: »
    ceres wrote:
    Are you a science major or scientist-by-trade (mad or otherwise)? I know there are a number floating around.

    Today was my day to go down to the fish room maintained by my lab advisor and feed them. I get down there and discover that apparently overnight there was some sort of fishpocalypse, and three tanks of fish are dead or dying.

    I hate going down there to find that sort of thing, and in my two and a half years there it's not even the first time it's happened. :/

    Tell me about your day, or a typical day for you. What sort of joys and pitfalls do you face daily doing what you do?

    GIVE TO ME YOUR SCIENCE-RELATED ANECDOTES.

    How did the fish die?

    I think the filtration system is the best he can do on his budget, which wouldn't be bad except the water in our area is terrible. He'd just changed the fish over to new tanks, so I'm guessing there was something still in that water that shouldn't have been. Only a few were dead when I got down there, but I think he's going to lose those tanks. :/

    That is really sad. The water can be cleaned up on the cheap (assuming it is a standard city water) using an additive such as Aqua plus. AP has the advantage of also working against chloramine, which some cities use in leu of standard chlorine. This stuff, or products like it, can be bought at Walmart and in general a $15 bottle will treat over 1000L of water. Besides that, just doing water changes 2-3 times per week will help offset a shitty/underpowered filter a bit.

    Another factor which might be contributing to fish death is keeping large amounts of fish in a small environment. Besides causing large ammonia spikes due to horrible amounts of fish waste, the fish (dependant on species) may be attacking each other and stressing each other out.

    I've only recently gotten into the hobby of keeping an aquarium, but it is actually pretty fun. There are crap loads of forums and informative websites available with people who are extremely knowledgable. Also, local aquarium hobby stores tend to have people who know what they are doing, especially when it comes to managing large populations of overstocked fish tanks.

    We use a tap water conditioner (I think it IS Alpha Plus, actually), plus stress coat if they're looking woozy, and there is a filtration and aeration system in place, but it the water drips into the tanks too fast it overwhelms the filters. The fish are Danio rerio, and there aren't so many of them in those tanks that there should be a problem. It's just frustrating. He really wants to put in a nice UV filtration system and a holding tank, but unfortunately that's a lot more money than he's got in the budget at the moment. I think he ends up spending some of his own money on it as it is. :/

    He just put them in new tanks? Sounds like they weren't fully cycled and you had an ammonia/nitrite spike.

    I like science! I went to U.R.I. for Marine Biology, got my B.S. but didn't continue on to a Masters or Doctorate.

    Hoo boy the ocean is fucked. I have a better understanding, now, of why all my professors looked depressed.

  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off. Escape while you can.Registered User regular
    So, what have I done today?

    Got into lab, ran an acetylation reaction on a primary amine using acetyl chloride as the acetylation reagent with triethyalmine as a proton scavenger in tetrahydrofuran, which is different than the usual diethyl ether I run this reaction in. That has been stirring for a little over three hours. I would normally check on the reaction using ESI mass spectroscopy, but, since I have done this reaction before, I will just concentrate it down and then purify the residue using column chromatography to, hopefully, get pure desired product which I will confirm using NMR spectroscopy.

    Replace the type of reaction done with whatever and this is basically my daily routine.

  • ElaroElaro Doing experiments Windfall IslandRegistered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote: »

    I like science! I went to U.R.I. for Marine Biology, got my B.S. but didn't continue on to a Masters or Doctorate.

    Hoo boy the ocean is fucked. I have a better understanding, now, of why all my professors looked depressed.

    Yeah, we have what, ten years till all the plankton dies and we suffocate from a lower atmospheric oxygen concentration?

    Steam ID My Youtube Channel
    Warhammer 40k: Join the Eternal Crusade! Use my referral code to get free stuff!
    EC-G6MN6TUUBTGII
  • HunteraHuntera Talk phobos to meRegistered User regular
    I am probably going to go to college for engineering of some kind, probably aero/astrospace.

    I think that's sciencey enough.

    hYSTarq.png?1
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    too bad engineers are just terrible people

    zkHcp.jpg
  • OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    I got to show some human brains to a couple of labs worth of college freshmen this week. Always interesting seeing who comes right up to see things and who stands about 4 feet away and dosent get any closer. Sometimes its really hard not to start laughing and say, "so you wanted to be a surgeon, right?"

  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    I'm a scientician ask me anything

    STEAM
    Spoiler:
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I'm a scientician ask me anything

    Why does it always rain on me?

    twispandcatsbysigsmall.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Silmaril wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I'm a scientician ask me anything

    Why does it always rain on me?

    not enough prayer

    pray more

    STEAM
    Spoiler:
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I'm a scientician ask me anything

    how do you organize a science party

  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I'm a scientician ask me anything

    how do you organize a science party

    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

    STEAM
    Spoiler:
  • Lost SalientLost Salient Z is for Zillah who drank too much ginRegistered User regular
    Science thread. Science thread.

    Explain to me why I shouldn't spend a bunch of dollars on getting my genome sequenced please, because it sounds like the most totally badass thing.

    QuW2glN.jpg"Sandra's favourite movie is escape from new York because she cries when magpie and brain die because they will never be together." I actually updated my blog, DON'T FREAK OUT
  • ceresceres Just your problem OoSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    Science thread. Science thread.

    Explain to me why I shouldn't spend a bunch of dollars on getting my genome sequenced please, because it sounds like the most totally badass thing.

    Oh man, that DOES sound badass.. now I want to do it, if only to know exactly what percentage of me (if any) is Neanderthal.

    Today my professor told me that the abstract for my poster presentation is due in tomorrow. I guess the abstract shouldn't take me more than an hour, but it's an annoying reminder that I have to get all my qPCR done do the data analysis, and then make a poster to be presented about it in a week and a half.

    I've got my own life and I've got my own plans
    I hope you understand, and like the way that I am
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Science thread. Science thread.

    Explain to me why I shouldn't spend a bunch of dollars on getting my genome sequenced please, because it sounds like the most totally badass thing.

    Oh man, that DOES sound badass.. now I want to do it, if only to know exactly what percentage of me (if any) is Neanderthal.

    Today my professor told me that the abstract for my poster presentation is due in tomorrow. I guess the abstract shouldn't take me more than an hour, but it's an annoying reminder that I have to get all my qPCR done do the data analysis, and then make a poster to be presented about it in a week and a half.

    Amount of you that is Neanderthal = Amount of you that is blue.

    Watch out for Gargamel if you get it confirmed!

  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Because it is still basically useless and will be 10x less expensive in 10 years

    and ceres you should throw your rt thermal cycler out the window because they are the worst and oh god I think I have PTSD

    There I've solved everyone's problems

    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
Sign In or Register to comment.