As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a

• RBachRBach Registered User regular
    Media Monkey can download podcasts and sync to iPods/iPhones, but it requires iTunes to be installed to do so so you won't quite be ridding yourself of iTunes completely.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    angry birds SPACE

poo
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I'll second Pocket Casts for OTA podcast downloading / auto updating.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • technicaltechnical Registered User regular
    I really like Downcast.

3DS FC: 3050-8986-0512

PSN: technical_ta
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    instacast is pretty fucking great

• elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    instacast is pretty fucking great

This is the one I use. I love it.

i use instacast too

also i am mad that angry birds space doesnt sync between iphone and ipad over icloud like some other games do

poo
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    angry birds SPACE

Bought it this morning.

Lost an hour of my day.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm grabbing a new ipad next week and was planning on getting a cover and keyboard, but I want to make sure there aren't better alternatives before I shell out $140 for the Apple versions. Is there a good review site for ipad accessories?

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Any bluetooth keyboard will work with the iPad, but if you want something in a similar form factor to the Apple keyboard Amazon makes one that's about $40 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EOWBKE

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I like the smart cover. It's even better when paired with something to cover the back like a BookBack by Dodo Case.

My BOOKback case came today and it's really really nice. It provides just the right amount of grip without adding any bulk. The one for my phone is a very tight fit under my case, but it feels a lot better than the carbon fiber one I had on before.

Cormac wrote: »
    My BOOKback case came today and it's really really nice. It provides just the right amount of grip without adding any bulk. The one for my phone is a very tight fit under my case, but it feels a lot better than the carbon fiber one I had on before.

They're SO nice, right? I hate that I don't have one now (sold my 1st gen iPad for a new iPad). I need to order a new one now. I loved the one on my iPhone too, but it didn't fit inside my battery case. =[

i ordered one, is in the mail

i think i will like it

poo
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    also i am mad that angry birds space doesnt sync between iphone and ipad over icloud like some other games do

That's because those greedy jerks at Rovio didn't make it a universal app like reasonable developers do. If you want it on both, you have to buy it twice. Unless you want to play the iPhone version magnified on your iPad, but who wants to do that?

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • technicaltechnical Registered User regular
    I think I'm gonna have to order one of these BOOKback cases. So paranoid about scratching up the back of my new shiny.

3DS FC: 3050-8986-0512

PSN: technical_ta
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I got a cheap $8 case off amazon since I needed something quickly before going out of town. It's ok, but it was made for the ipad 2 and the new one doesn't fit quite right. Still in the market for something better.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    DODO's twitter says they estimate getting the black/black Bookback's in mid-next month, which is good news for me. I was ready to pull on the black/red until I flipped through the gallery and saw ones with the black logo, which looks so much better than the red logo IMO. Looking forward to picking one up to complete the package with my Smart Cover.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cases that provide secure protection? I'm looking for something protective to stick the iPad in when I fly and drive.

steam_sig.png
    Bullio wrote: »
    DODO's twitter says they estimate getting the black/black Bookback's in mid-next month, which is good news for me. I was ready to pull on the black/red until I flipped through the gallery and saw ones with the black logo, which looks so much better than the red logo IMO. Looking forward to picking one up to complete the package with my Smart Cover.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cases that provide secure protection? I'm looking for something protective to stick the iPad in when I fly and drive.

I love the Boa Skin by Booq for when I need a simple, protective sleeve to stick my iPad in before going in my bag/luggage.

http://www.booqbags.com/boa-skin-xs-black-iPad-sleeve

It's got one hard side to protect the screen, and the other side is soft and stretchy for a snug fit. It's flexible enough to fit a bare iPad, or one with a smart cover/BOOKback. Probably even with a slim case.

That Booq Boa Skin is exactly what I've been looking for in a case for occasional use. Better yet, I found a coupon code , IDEA11, that brings it down from $7.95 to $1.59.

• mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    I just ordered one of those skins as well. I kind of hope they've added some money for themselves into that shipping and handling because it would be sad to me if they got less than two dollars of my money and FedEx got nine.

I am interested in those dodo bookbacks but I worry that it just isn't enough protection. I'm really worried I'm going to drop this thing. Are there any of the slim fit back covers yet that specifically work with the new iPad that anyone can recommend?

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
    I wonder if they're phasing the product out because the only way to find it is to search for it. I searched for some reviews and they used to retail for $29.95 and Amazon is selling then for $19.95 to $25.00, but Booq has then for $7.95.

Cormac wrote: »
    I wonder if they're phasing the product out because the only way to find it is to search for it. I searched for some reviews and they used to retail for $29.95 and Amazon is selling then for $19.95 to $25.00, but Booq has then for $7.95.

I think so. I bought mine at Microcenter a while back, and it took me forever to actually find them on Booq's website. I'm pretty sure I paid about $25 retail for it. It's absolutely worth it for under 10 bucks.

edited March 2012
    That looks damn near perfect, especially with that promo. I'm mainly looking for an inexpensive additional layer of protection for it, and something that lets me slide in my iPad without having to take off the Smart Cover or eventual BOOKBack is even better. Thanks!

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Where the fuckballs is the Mail icon in my phone. I have changed every icon I want to change except for that one. I've tried /applications/mobilemail.app but nothing I replace in there will change the damn icon. What am I doing wroooooooooong.

edit: Ha HA fuck you capitalization!

SniperGuy on
    So, apparently I'm having the wifi issues that they're talking about on gizmodo and some other places. I thought it was just a crappy network in my house that was causing it to fall off the network frequently, that and being across the house from the router, but my laptop is just as far from the router and doesn't have this problem. It sounds like returning it probably won't help either-at least one person I read about went through four of them at an apple store and they all had the same issue. :(

v2zAToe.jpg
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Is there a podcast downloader/iphone sync program I can use other than iTunes? Because iTunes on Win7 is a slow piece of crap, and I am tired of it.

Instacast, forever and ever.

edited March 2012
    So, apparently I'm having the wifi issues that they're talking about on gizmodo and some other places. I thought it was just a crappy network in my house that was causing it to fall off the network frequently, that and being across the house from the router, but my laptop is just as far from the router and doesn't have this problem. It sounds like returning it probably won't help either-at least one person I read about went through four of them at an apple store and they all had the same issue. :(

I found these reports perplexing. My iPad does a better job of connecting to and maintaining a strong WiFi signal than any other device I own. I'm using a USB dongle and the built-in WiFi on my netbook as hotspots via Connectify, and if I move out of the immediate vicinity of either I get a pretty drastic performance drop on my phone and netbook when the netbook is connected to the hotspot in my room. I can move from my room to my living room or kitchen (about 20' or so) and my iPad barely loses any strength or speed, if any at all.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    I haven't tested speed problems, and I haven't done much streaming. It's just that the iPad will drop off the network. I will be doing things, thinking I'm connected and then get an error that I'm not connected anymore. Then when I go into settings -> wifi it will automatically look for networks, find it, and reconnect, and the. I can go back to what I'm doing until it drops again. It does this multiple times per day. My dell laptop never does this and it is just as far from the router.

It could still be my network but since there does seem to be some wifi issues for other people I'm less inclined to think so.

v2zAToe.jpg
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Having now had an ipad2 for about six months, I can say that they are unbelievably useful. You invent all kinds of uses for it.

I will say, though, that while I predicted it would replace my desktop as my main internet browsing device, that hasn't happened. Our living room is fully open plan and the desk with our computers (Macbook and my PC) is next to the kitchen in the same room, and my PC is always on whenever I'm at home, so it takes no less effort to sit down there and use it than it does to hunt down the ipad from wherever it happens to be.

In addition, its impossible to type with any sort of speed on the ipad if you want accuracy - If I wanted to make no errors I'd have to be typing at 50-60 wpm, which is just painfully slow compared to what I can do on the PC. Its nice for reading the forums and other sites, but for typing its a bit rubbish.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Is there a weather app that you can set to send push notifications for certain weather events? I'd love if I could get a little pop up notification letting me know when rain is due in the coming 24 hours.

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Having now had an ipad2 for about six months, I can say that they are unbelievably useful. You invent all kinds of uses for it.

I will say, though, that while I predicted it would replace my desktop as my main internet browsing device, that hasn't happened. Our living room is fully open plan and the desk with our computers (Macbook and my PC) is next to the kitchen in the same room, and my PC is always on whenever I'm at home, so it takes no less effort to sit down there and use it than it does to hunt down the ipad from wherever it happens to be.

In addition, its impossible to type with any sort of speed on the ipad if you want accuracy - If I wanted to make no errors I'd have to be typing at 50-60 wpm, which is just painfully slow compared to what I can do on the PC. Its nice for reading the forums and other sites, but for typing its a bit rubbish.

Split the keyboard and type like you text?

huh, I had no idea you could do that. Awesome.

I find I'm rarely typing on my iPad thanks to the dictation. The dictation isn't perfect, but it's well done enough that it's actually really useful. But I also find typing on the iPad pretty damn easy when I do "proper" typing and use it like a keyboard. I have a somewhat unconventional typing style thanks to having learned to type from WASD as opposed to homerow, and I find the lack of hand movement and the key placement to be damn near perfect for my typing style. The autocorrect is also very well done, so when I do hit an errant character I almost never have to stop typing to fix my error. I could do with a little bit of haptic feedback, but I'm learning to adjust and will ultimately wind up probably not even wishing for it in a couple weeks.

steam_sig.png
    I got my Incipio Smart Feather case yesterday and it fits perfectly. I think using this thing with the smart cover is a great combination.

Steam | Twitch
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

Thats still going to be massively slower than anything I can do with a keyboard. I'm not putting down the ipad - its going to be great for anyone who isn't already particularly fast on a keyboard or who doesn't need to type a lot, but I tend to use a lot of words when I post and it takes far too long for my fingers to transmit what my brain is saying when I try to do it on the ipad.

Typing on the iPad is really hit and miss for me. There are times, like right now, when I can type on it like gangbusters, basically typing as fast as I would on a normal keyboard. Other times, it's like my fingers just can't land in the right place no matter what I do. In those cases I usually just give up and split the keyboard and thumb type like on it a phone (which isn't terrible actually, but certainly not all that fast). If I was planning on doing any kind of extended typing sessions on it though, I'd definitely invest in a Bluetooth keyboard.

Steam | Twitch
    edited March 2012
    It bugs the shit out of me how iTunes can see my iPad when I start the program, but more often than not I'll try to access it and it'll give me the message "Looking for iPad" for 10 seconds, not be able to find it, and then remove it from Devices. I've just had it happen 3 times in a row, and now it's no longer seeing my iPhone. iTunes, when it works on PC is a decent program, but even when it is working properly it's one of the flakiest, slowest, and most temperamental programs I've ever used. If there was a way I could get something like a Mac Mini for super cheap to use just for iTunes and iCloud syncing I'd buy one so I didn't have to deal with iTunes on Windows anymore.

A cheaper option would be to just give up on Wifi sync and do all of my music, comic transfer, and backup through the usb cable because I can actually depend on that to work every time.

Cormac on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Is there a weather app that you can set to send push notifications for certain weather events? I'd love if I could get a little pop up notification letting me know when rain is due in the coming 24 hours.

We need the opposite of that here in Portland.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    Typing on the iPad is really hit and miss for me. There are times, like right now, when I can type on it like gangbusters, basically typing as fast as I would on a normal keyboard. Other times, it's like my fingers just can't land in the right place no matter what I do. In those cases I usually just give up and split the keyboard and thumb type like on it a phone (which isn't terrible actually, but certainly not all that fast). If I was planning on doing any kind of extended typing sessions on it though, I'd definitely invest in a Bluetooth keyboard.

I'd do the same if it was inconvenient for me to get to my PC. I know most people tend to have their PC set up in a study or bedroom, so if they're in the living room the ipad is like, right there. but our PCs are kept in the living room along one wall. Its not uncommon for me to be reading a post on the couch on the ipad and want to make a big post, and just get up and sit down at the PC to type it.

got my book back. i like it. i didn't put it 100% perfectly straight but its close enough that no one would really notice and i have no wrinkles or bubbles, so i'm not gonna try again

makes it feel good to hold

poo