As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Office thread: Shove it up your butt!

• Options
    DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    Least favourite episode so far. I was hoping for everyone to attempt to become manager ala Dwight trying to take Darryls office. Best bit of the episode was tony. I dunno why I found that so funny. "it happens sometimes".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was really surprised Jim didn't go for it. Seemed like Robert was trying to push him into it too.

I can't imagine Nellie becoming a permanent cast member. I just find her annoying in a way none of the other cast members are. I find even Gabe to be more tolerable.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure you're supposed to hate Nellie. I don't see her becoming a permanent character either. She's supposed to be annoying to the point where anytime anyone puts her down, defies her or defeats her, you'll be a bit more invested in the character.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    She's just like those annoying teenagers from that one episode of Community. You're supposed to hate them but they've done such a good job at making the characters terrible that it escapes the confines of the story and starts to affect the show as a whole.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    She's just like those annoying teenagers from that one episode of Community. You're supposed to hate them but they've done such a good job at making the characters terrible that it escapes the confines of the story and starts to affect the show as a whole.

I didn't like that Community episode. For exactly that reason.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I loathed those kids

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Man, we need a Community-Office crossover so that the folks at Greendale can see that Nellie, indisputably, is the worst.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    The best part of the episode was Darryl vs Dwight.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    So, this is off for the month, and then there's the season finale? That's really strange.

League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Varega wrote: »
    So, this is off for the month, and then there's the season finale? That's really strange.

They need time to write the finale / figure out what they're doing for next season / figure out if there will be a next season.

Show is hosed right now.

• Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    THANKS, NELLIE.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm not getting all the Nellie hate. She's not awesome, but she's better than Todd Packer, at least.

Does anyone know if the last few episodes of the prior season and all of this season were written or produced by different people than the earlier episodes? It doesn't even seem like the same show anymore. Hell, there were many episodes this season that didn't even seem to have B plots at all, vs old episodes which even had C plots many times. The show has such a strong ensemble cast, but they just don't use it like they used to.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Nellie's an antagonist

You're supposed to dislike her

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    A lot of the scenes with the non-main or even B-level characters get cut. Whenever I look at The Office's facebook stream they always have a few deleted scenes from the last episode featuring at least one of them.

• Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Nellie's an antagonist

You're supposed to dislike her

There is a massive difference between not liking a character, and wanting to stop watching a show if she continues being on it.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I want to say it comes back April 19, for the remaining 5 episodes.

Things to think about:

1) The 4 main cast members (except Rainn Wilson) are still negotiating for beyond this season. No Robert California is one thing. But no Jim/Pam, Andy, and/or Ryan? That's something else.

2) Mindy Kaling has a pilot at Fox. If it gets picked up, goodbye Kelly. More importantly, she's gone from the writing staff.

3) Paul Lieberstein (Toby) is the current showrunner. He's planning on leaving that position to do the same for "The Farm"...yes, that's what they want to call the Dwight spin-off. So yeah, he's been in charge this year, but he was also in charge last year, I believe, and most people liked that season. I wonder what was different last year...

As it stands, with The Farm being positioned for mid-season, I wonder if we'll wind up with some hollow shell of The Office for half a season, lurching towards a finish.

Also, NBC's thinking with the Dwight spin-off is pretty transparent, I think. Unfortunately, I really don't think they can do the Cheers-Frasier thing successfully again. Especially with Dwight.

And in regards to Nellie, it seems like there's two completely separate reactions to her. Most people here seem to hate her, and hated her last spring, too. But there must have been some positive response to warrant bringing her back.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, heard about the Dwight spinoff. He seems like a poor choice for main character. I suppose it depends on what supporting cast they give him, but I'm not seeing Dwight and Mose becoming the new Frasier and Niles.

I am curious how they will end it. There's not a lot of major character events left. And if they don't have any of the major players left by the end, it's going out with a whimper. Look forward to season 14 when Kevin is the branch manager.

Invisible on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Ed Helms seems like the only main cast member who could plausibly have a career outside of The Office, so I'd at least expect the other three to renew.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Mose won't be in it, he's busy running Parks and Rec.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Its really a shame the show is going out like this. I wonder if they will even show the documentary, or if they just gave up on the idea that there is a reason they are being filmed all the time.

• Options
    Its really a shame the show is going out like this. I wonder if they will even show the documentary, or if they just gave up on the idea that there is a reason they are being filmed all the time.

I'd like to think Dunder-Mifflin accidently gave the documentary crew a gigantic budget on accident, and the crew has just kept filming all these years to justify continuing to get paid, and it's just managed to slip through the cracks year after year.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    The Office deserves a great sendoff. Unfortunately, it's looking less and less likely that it will get one.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    Yeah, heard about the Dwight spinoff. He seems like a poor choice for main character. I suppose it depends on what supporting cast they give him, but I'm not seeing Dwight and Mose becoming the new Frasier and Niles.

I am curious how they will end it. There's not a lot of major character events left. And if they don't have any of the major players left by the end, it's going out with a whimper. Look forward to season 14 when Kevin is the branch manager.

I think Frasier was the lucky duck ... because everything else just seems to end up like Joey.

Feel free to show me other good spin-offs though.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

It could work. The episode where they had the party / reception thing at the farm was pretty great, and Dwight-centric.

Though, rather than Mose being the other lead, I'd want Jim / Pam to quit the office and work for Dwight.

An entire series based on Jim / Dwight would be...pretty much everything I watch The Office for now.

• Options
    In regards to the send-off, I'd like them to show the actual fallout of the documentary's release. I mean, it's pretty much going to ruin the company and the lives of everyone in the cast, and that would be interesting to see.

It's also the kind of storyline that you can only show at the end of the show's run.

• Options
    In regards to the send-off, I'd like them to show the actual fallout of the documentary's release. I mean, it's pretty much going to ruin the company and the lives of everyone in the cast, and that would be interesting to see.

It's also the kind of storyline that you can only show at the end of the show's run.

I wonder how many newer fans don't even know that there is a documentary being made.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    I wonder how many newer fans don't even know that there is a documentary being made.

Dude I've been watching since the beginning and I barely remember.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
  • Options

Modern Family doesn't even bother trying to justify its documentary format.

Audiences just accept it without asking who's filming or why.

• Options
    There are a ton of spinoffs that were/are successful. Good is more subjective, but off the top of my head All in the Family=The Jeffersons, Golden Girls=Empty Nest, Grey's Anatomy=Private Practice, Family Guy=The Cleveland Show and even Family Matters was technically a spinoff.

And that's ignoring back door pilot spinoffs (ie characters introduced specifically to make a spinoff).

• Options
    There are a ton of spinoffs that were/are successful. Good is more subjective, but off the top of my head All in the Family=The Jeffersons, Golden Girls=Empty Nest, Grey's Anatomy=Private Practice, Family Guy=The Cleveland Show and even Family Matters was technically a spinoff.

And that's ignoring back door pilot spinoffs (ie characters introduced specifically to make a spinoff).

Love, American Style=Happy days=Laverne & Shirley
    Blansky's Beauties
    Mork & Mindy
    Out of the Blue,
    Joanie Loves Chachi

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

For a show to work, your main character has to be fairly normal. Think Jim and originally Ryan.

Dwight is a fucking weirdo, so he's either going to have to be nerfed (like Joey was in Joey) or they're going to have to come up with all sorts of Cooky Side Characters! to add into the mix to make Dwight seem normal.

I would like The Farm to be good. I love The Office and want it to be successful, but Dwight makes zero sense to base a show on.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

of what? Die Hard?

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

of what? Die Hard?

Perfect Strangers, if I recall correctly.

!
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    They had some pretty good
    Joolander wrote: »

of what? Die Hard?

Perfect Strangers :).

(I was really looking forward to adding Family Matters to Invisible's list for some sort of geek value, but go figure he just left it for last to get my hopes up.)

Erik
  • Options

For a show to work, your main character has to be fairly normal. Think Jim and originally Ryan.

Dwight is a fucking weirdo, so he's either going to have to be nerfed (like Joey was in Joey) or they're going to have to come up with all sorts of Cooky Side Characters! to add into the mix to make Dwight seem normal.

I would like The Farm to be good. I love The Office and want it to be successful, but Dwight makes zero sense to base a show on.

Oh, I completely agree with you. I think Dwight's too weird of a character to carry a show, especially after 8 seasons of it. It's like if they spun off Urkel.

Just spinoffs can be really successful. They don't all end up like Joey or Checking In, but I think it's likely to happen with "The Farm."

• Options
    I'm not sure who could hold a spin off from The Office. I don't think any of them.

Ideally Jim and Pam would move to whatever suburb Monica and Chandler moved to. I'd watch that show. Marshall and Lily can move there too in a couple years, it'd be great.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Oh, I completely agree with you. I think Dwight's too weird of a character to carry a show, especially after 8 seasons of it. It's like if they spun off Urkel.

Eh, Family Matters pretty much became the Urkel show after a few seasons anyway.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Kelly could've handled a spinoff, just because that character has a normalcy that Dwight lacks but still has a really distinct personality. Kaling's also attractive, and it'd be pretty easy to explain Kelly getting a job somewhere else as well.

Unfortunately, I can't see Kaling's actual pilot working out. A comedy about OB/GYNs obviously isn't going to attract a male audience, and I feel like the novelty of the setting will wear off pretty quickly and then start to serve as a burdensome limitation on the stories. I'm sure that actual OB/GYNs think their lives are hilarious, but in reality I doubt that there's enough variety to what they do (especially once you excise stuff too explicit for tv) to sustain multiple seasons of episodes.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Kelly might've worked, yeah.

See, that's why Frasier worked, he wasn't too developed but he was well liked. A Woody show would've been awful, which is basically what The Farm is going to be.

Lh96QHG.png